Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deforest Buckner

csmopar

7 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

There are other guys I'd be trying to trade before Buckner and Taylor--our best guys on the defence and on the offence

You are right. But if Colts are wanting to rebuild and nobody knows what their plan is. You get rid of great players for more draft capital.

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

This defensive line could be a force if they can add 1-2 solid and consistent pass rushers while adding solid depth at DT.

I like DTs like Mazi Smith, Tyler Davis, and Jacquelin Roy late round 3 or so. The DE class really falls off after Felix Anudike and Andre Carter as round 2 prospects. 

15 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I concur about moving him. Johnathon Taylor as well. 

Taylor yes, Defo, no. Instead I would try to get rid of Leonard. Turnover machine and good player, yes. But he's one injury away from hanging up the cleats. Trade him for whatever you can get before it's too late. Franklin played pretty good, so get rid of the expensive guy that can barely stay healthy. My opinion. 

2 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

Taylor yes, Defo, no. Instead I would try to get rid of Leonard. Turnover machine and good player, yes. But he's one injury away from hanging up the cleats. Trade him for whatever you can get before it's too late. Franklin played pretty good, so get rid of the expensive guy that can barely stay healthy. My opinion. 

I understand the idea but I think we are married to him one more year bc of his dead cap hit if we cut or trade him. If we could get a first or high 2nd it could be worth eating it for one year but I doubt anyone would give up much with his injury concerns. I think Leonard will be on the roster next season 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So let me get this straight. Starting a rebuild starts with getting rid of your best players and team leaders? 

Somehow that doesn't compute with me.  

That is the definition of a rebuild.

4 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

Leonard has zero trade value with his albatross contract and the fact that he may never play again.

1 hour ago, Never_Quit said:

That is the definition of a rebuild.

Leonard has zero trade value with his albatross contract and the fact that he may never play again.

I know that he is almost untradeable . Just in case sbdy would offer us a decent pick. Or what else... 

Just wanted to mention :dunno:

On 1/9/2023 at 12:35 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I love Buckner.   But if this is going to be an off-season devoted to re-building and re-organizing the team, I’d strongly consider trading him while he might still bring back some real value.   

Next year DB will be 29, and there’s no dead cap hit if the Colts move him.   I’d move him either to move up in the first, or to acquire more picks.  

And I believe his replacement is already on the roster.   I’d slide Dayo to 3T.   I don’t believe he’s twitchy enough to be as effective as the Colts would like at DE.  But I think he’s more than athletic enough to move inside to tackle next to Stewart.  I don’t think he’d be quite as good as DeFo, but I believe he’d be plenty good enough.   And we’d clear a large cap number from the books. 

I think the Colts need to seriously consider this.    What say you? 

I tend to disagree with your posts most of the time, but this one.......

brent_rambo_approves.gif

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just why would the Bears want the high dollar contract? They can draft Carter or Anderson on a rookie contract for 4 years.  

Because he is one of the best 3 tech in the league and eberflus already had him and had great success, and they can still draft one of them guys at 4 since 2-3 qb will go from 1-4. Bears have a ton of money and they already said they gonna spend it just have to get the right guys etc…

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes you are technically correct. Getting rid of the teams best defensive player and then looking for a player of his caliber when he is already on the roster defies common sense.  

We are talking about a team that hired a ESPN analyst to be a head coach. I used to yea never this or that but as last few years has showed me anything is possible and just when it starts making sense irsay goes of the rails 

14 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We are talking about a team that hired a ESPN analyst to be a head coach. I used to yea never this or that but as last few years has showed me anything is possible and just when it starts making sense irsay goes of the rails 

Regardless of how you feel about Irsay hiring Saturday he had his reasons.  What he found out was the lack of discipline and players being held accountable. While I liked Frank his lack of holding players accountable was a big problem. Plus we all witnessed his stale play calling that lacked vision on how to use his personal. 

17 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Teams don’t do that anymore. 

And in the NFL you really don’t have too.  With the salary cap and free agency the NFL is designed for quick turnarounds.  Every year it seems like you see a team go from worst in their division to the playoffs if not division champion the following year.  

56 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And in the NFL you really don’t have too.  With the salary cap and free agency the NFL is designed for quick turnarounds.  Every year it seems like you see a team go from worst in their division to the playoffs if not division champion the following year.  

The Jags went from last to first in our own division.  We could easily do the same thing next year.  The league is loaded with weak teams.  Turnaround can happen pretty quickly now a days.

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Not yet with Taylor. A rookie QB could really use a RB like Taylor. Think Wilson with Lynch.

If we could trade Taylor and draft BiJan Robinson from the deal, it would be great in my opinion... Robinson will be a stud and we will have 4-5 cheaper years rather than the huge contract that Taylor is going to get very soon 

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Not yet with Taylor. A rookie QB could really use a RB like Taylor. Think Wilson with Lynch.

I’m predicting it will take a contract extension to get JT to play any more for us.  RBs basically get one chance at a big payday after their rookie contract and he has set himself up for that.  

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m predicting it will take a contract extension to get JT to play any more for us.  RBs basically get one chance at a big payday after their rookie contract and he has set himself up for that.  

Well uhh, he has zero leverage and will play for what we pay him.

Yes he has break away speed and is powerful Primarily between the tackles. He is not a gifted receiver and he isn't a highly reliable blocker. We will be just fine without him with a better HC.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well uhh, he has zero leverage and will play for what we pay him.

Yes he has break away speed and is powerful Primarily between the tackles. He is not a gifted receiver and he isn't a highly reliable blocker. We will be just fine without him with a better HC.

He could hold out or his agent can request to seek potential trades with teams willing to extend him. We might want to give him an extension as well. He will want paid and his agent will leverage the team somehow to make it happen.  Will wait and see how it plays out. 

If a legitimate #1 QB emerges over the next few months I wouldn’t mind trading DeFo to get him. It was a mistake trading for him over getting a QB in ‘20 anyway. Would be fitting he helped us get one. haha

I don’t think there’s a tier 1 guy among this years QB group though. Noone worth trading up for. 

Archived