Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My guess is Stroud is seriously considers staying for another year and running it back with Marvin and family.  If he does that everything changes at the top of the draft.  I really can't see Ballard paying a kings ransom to move to number 1.  Chicago's price should really escalate.  His decision might open the door for Ballard to sign Carr, if he is released ,or another veteran and then possibly trade back and take Richardson or Mckee.  I think he will still draft a quarterback just not one the majority of us are thinking about.  Have to hope he declares. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

Ballard would have never drafted Marvin with the 16th pick back in 1996 because he’s to small,that logic has got to change and I don’t see Ballard changing it.

I agree with this 1000%. He has to change views and allow guys to develop and quit being about size and RAS only. Banogu should be a huge tell. 

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Fo whatever it's worth... Lance Zierlein is friends with Ballard. By his words "What's crazy is, the guy who is my mentor in scouting(Ballard), who hates small players would move up for the guy who would be the smallest QB in the league in 3 decades"

Guess that rules out WR Zay Flowers as well. Was really high on him. :(

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow I don’t know if this is true but says colts have already called. He mentions Michael Pittman in the deal. There is a video if you click on it. Mentions he thinks they want Levis. Kaplan is a very respected journalist. The other player maybe Moore?

No team  has won a superbowl that has traded ip for thr number one pick. History tells us that trading up for that pick  never  works out for the good. Look it up

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I really don’t care what history says.

exactly you cant judge the current situation based on history only .    teams passed on mahomes when he was putting up crazy stats in college because all air raid QBs failed in the past .     if the colts are really high on a QB you take the risk if they are not as high on the prospects you wait and stay at 4 its that simple .   i rather take levis at 4 but if theres a chance he goes before that you trade up

34 minutes ago, ColtsUrUs said:

Why would Stroud stay in school when it will pit himself against better QB's coming out of College next year. They're saying the QB draft class will be better next year anyway. 

For pride. He wants to beat Michigan and win a championship. Peyton did the same thing in terms of wanting to beat Florida.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No team  has won a superbowl that has traded ip for thr number one pick. History tells us that trading up for that pick  never  works out for the good. Look it up

Its only happened like 4 times in the SB era.  One was for a tackle and one was for a RB

Vick was arguably worth it, Jeff George was a bust

40 minutes ago, ColtsUrUs said:

Why would Stroud stay in school when it will pit himself against better QB's coming out of College next year.

Well going back to school isnt always a decision about money or draft slot.  He could have other reasons for simply wanting to be at OSU.  I'm not sure how close he is to graduating

He could make up to 4 million $ in NIL money too

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow I don’t know if this is true but says colts have already called. He mentions Michael Pittman in the deal. There is a video if you click on it. Mentions he thinks they want Levis. Kaplan is a very respected journalist. The other player maybe Moore?

I would hope we don’t make a trade up for Levis. And Pittman is a good WR, hopefully he stays. I’m fine with Kenny Moore being gone via trade. 

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

Well going back to school isnt always a decision about money or draft slot.  He could have other reasons for simply wanting to be at OSU.  I'm not sure how close he is to graduating

He could make up to 4 million $ in NIL money too

But could also lose tens of millions if his draft stock goes down next season. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It would be crazy if Lance was on the trade block.

The 49ers. They’re in situations I wish we were in. They’re competitive and yet somehow don’t have a full answer at QB. They traded Buckner, went up in the draft to get Lance, and instead of trending down and having setbacks they’re right in the thick of the Super Bowl race. It’s incredible. 

They’ve got a fantastic GM, and stable powerful HC, in tact lines, oh and then they went and got McCaffrey mid season… They’re the NFC version of the Steelers in a way. They just refuse to be bad. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

The 49ers. They’re in situations I wish we were in. They’re competitive and yet somehow don’t have a full answer at QB. They traded Buckner, went up in the draft to get Lance, and instead of trending down and having setbacks they’re right in the thick of the Super Bowl race. It’s incredible. 

They’ve got a fantastic GM, and stable powerful HC, in tact lines, oh and then they went and got McCaffrey mid season… They’re the NFC version of the Steelers in a way. They just refuse to be bad. 

And they are not even struggling with scoring points which is crazy. Weather is bad today in SF so we will see if having a rookie hurts them.

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

"They want Levis"?

Does it seem a little 'cart before the horse' to have your QB identified before getting your coaching staff identified and in place?

53 minutes ago, ColtsUrUs said:

Why would Stroud stay in school when it will pit himself against better QB's coming out of College next year. They're saying the QB draft class will be better next year anyway. 

Maybe he is hearing that the Cols will draft him and he is like no thanks lol.

Just now, Pelt said:

"They want Levis"?

Does it seem a little 'cart before the horse' to have your QB identified before getting your coaching staff identified and in place?

Of course they want Levis.  He is the only qb worth taking.  Young and Stroud will slide

2 minutes ago, Pelt said:

"They want Levis"?

Colts have a little leg up on Levis. They have a former assistant on that Kentucky staff.  But I agree the coaching hire could easily change things.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Of course they want Levis.  He is the only qb worth taking.  Young and Stroud will slide

My worry is having that adversely influencing your decision on hiring the head coach.

Especially if we let the potentially next great head coach walk because he tells Ballard that he doesn't think Levis is that good during the interview.

Of course, all of this is just speculation on my part anyway.

And Levis is not the only QB worth taking.

1 hour ago, ColtsUrUs said:

He probably feels he’s the best QB in college so he’s probably not worried about who he would be up against.  That’s just the nature of a competitor.  As for why stay.  NIL has made it easier for college kids to stay an extra year.  With the salary cap on rookie picks it’s not impossible he’s making more off NIL being the QB Ohio State than he would if drafted.  

7 minutes ago, Pelt said:

My worry is having that adversely influencing your decision on hiring the head coach.

Especially if we let the potentially next great head coach walk because he tells Ballard that he doesn't think Levis is that good during the interview.

Of course, all of this is just speculation on my part anyway.

And Levis is not the only QB worth taking.

At the number.....yes he is. He is not woth the pick but if  e to take one, he is the guy heads and shoulders about 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He probably feels he’s the best QB in college so he’s probably not worried about who he would be up against.  That’s just the nature of a competitor.  As for why stay.  NIL has made it easier for college kids to stay an extra year.  With the salary cap on rookie picks it’s not impossible he’s making more off NIL being the QB Ohio State than he would if drafted.  

He won’t get nearly the amount for this one year that he would get if drafted. He is losing out on the huge signing bonus. Especially for someone who is going top  3 most likely.

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Remember when everybody doubted John Lynch because he had no experience? 

Success in these fields really have very few predictors.

7 minutes ago, The Brazilian Ninja said:

Remember when everybody doubted John Lynch because he had no experience? 

Success in these fields really have very few predictors.

They really do. It’s just unbelievable how much it is luck. If I were an owner and had to pick someone to run the team I’d be agonizing forever trying to figure out what the right path is. Hell I’m doing that right now with my career.

Archived