Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not saying anything about what they thought about Bubba. I'm talking about a clear preference that was stamped at the time. If Irsay wanted Saturday then from the available options at the time(this included Bubba at the time) , has anything changed his mind now? Maybe it has... ? 

Ballard has one year to get this right, so you would think that he would lean towards Bubba for 2 reasons. He knows him very well and what he has to offer and If he doesn't promote him, he will lose him as a coach and therefore weaken the best part of this team  Plus, I think he could be gotten for cheap. I have always thoughe that Payton and Harbaugh were not coming him.  You would have been paying Reich and Ballard as Ballard would be gone and then paying Harbaugh/Payton and their  GM choice. That to me is something that Irsay was not prepared to do. Plus Harbaugh and Payton are control freaks and I guess they earned it, but I am not sure that is what Irsay wants moving forward. Ballard to me has one year to show Irsay that he has found his whiz kid head coach. If it was me, I would probably go for Bubba knowing that my future is at risk. I think if he was made coach, he would take a very friendly contract.. I truly believe that Irsay is willing to look at next year as a possible wash and lining things up for 2024. If Bubba works out then great and then if he and Ballard have failed then Irsay will go big game fishing. Remember special team coordinators  don't get these opportunities. It maybe a very short contract, a basically show me deal. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun fact, since 1991 head coaches with at least some experience coaching special teams have a better win / loss record in the NFL compared to those who did not. 

They include Bill Belichick (who admittedly probably skews this stat with all of his career wins), John Harbaugh, Joe Judge. Past coaches include Bill Cowher, Dennis Green and Marv Levy. 

https://www.the33rdteam.com/study-coaches-with-a-special-teams-background-have-been-highly-successful/

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ballard has one year to get this right, so you would think that he would lean towards Bubba for 2 reasons. He knows him very well and what he has to offer and If he doesn't promote him, he will lose him as a coach and therefore weaken the best part of this team  Plus, I think he could be gotten for cheap. I have always thoughe that Payton and Harbaugh were not coming him.  You would have been paying Reich and Ballard as Ballard would be gone and then paying Harbaugh/Payton and their  GM choice. That to me is something that Irsay was not prepared to do. Plus Harbaugh and Payton are control freaks and I guess they earned it, but I am not sure that is what Irsay wants moving forward. Ballard to me has one year to show Irsay that he has found his whiz kid head coach. If it was me, I would probably go for Bubba knowing that my future is at risk. I think if he was made coach, he would take a very friendly contract.. I truly believe that Irsay is willing to look at next year as a possible wash and lining things up for 2024. If Bubba works out then great and then if he and Ballard have failed then Irsay will go big game fishing. Remember special team coordinators  don't get these opportunities. It maybe a very short contract, a basically show me deal. 

If Irsay has decided to keep Ballard this year, I really hope this is not a "you have one year to fix this" thing. This would be the worst decision. Either keep him and let him draft his QB and develop around him or just fire him now and hire someone you would trust for more than a year. GMs and decisionmakers in general put in this type of a situation where they need to show progress right now, right away or they are fired make stupid decisions that are usually aimed at winning as many games as possible in the immediate, rather than winning a championship. If we draft a QB, then it's very likely that this QB will not be amazing from the very start. QBs need time, even the most talented ones. This would also mean, he would be targeting the QBs that are most NFL ready right now, rather than looking for the long term(since if he doesn't win next year, he won't be here to see the long-term anyways). And this might bleed into all sorts of decisions and hires Ballard makes. He might spend tons of our future picks and money trying to maximize win total next year and hurting this team's long-term prospects. 

I really really hope if Ballard stays, Irsay gives him at least 2-3 years to see where his decisions lead to in the mid-term. 

Just now, stitches said:

I really really hope if Ballard stays, Irsay gives him at least 2-3 years to see where his decisions lead to in the mid-term. 

If it is a rookie QB, yep, 2 years is a minimum Irsay will give, IMO and very likely 3 years unless the wheels fall off.

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not saying anything about what they thought about Bubba. I'm talking about a clear preference that was stamped at the time. If Irsay wanted Saturday then from the available options at the time(this included Bubba at the time) , has anything changed his mind now? Maybe it has... ? 

Got it. I'm objecting to the 'not good enough' idea. I don't think Irsay was evaluating the present staff for an interim HC. I think he just wanted to replace Reich with Saturday in the moment, and I think the reasons are about more than who he thought could be a good HC.

As for a preference from Irsay, I think we all know how he feels about Saturday. It's my hope that his personal feelings don't outweigh all the other factors involved in finding a good HC.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If it is a rookie QB, yep, 2 years is a minimum Irsay will give, IMO and very likely 3 years unless the wheels fall off.

Yep, and even though I wanted Ballard fired, I think this is better option than giving him just one year to show improvements. My personal preference for this off-season were as follows:

1. Fire Ballard, Hire new GM, hire new HC, draft QB(or not, if the GM doesn't like the QBs) or prepare to draft one next year. (some people have accused me of being impatient. I'm not impatient... I just want them to follow good, sound processes - I can wait for a QB, but I need to know that they are buying into the best possible process to acquire a franchise QB, rather than just kicking the can down the road and avoiding making your bet on a QB). 

2. Keep Ballard, let him hire his coach, let him draft his QB and give him time to see through his QB pick.

3. Keep Ballard, let him hire coach and draft QB and put pressure on him to win now. I really hate this last option... the first two are so much better in my mind. 

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Fun fact, since 1991 head coaches with at least some experience coaching special teams have a better win / loss record in the NFL compared to those who did not. 

They include Bill Belichick (who admittedly probably skews this stat with all of his career wins), John Harbaugh, Joe Judge. Past coaches include Bill Cowher, Dennis Green and Marv Levy. 

https://www.the33rdteam.com/study-coaches-with-a-special-teams-background-have-been-highly-successful/

I bet there is a reason for that. Probably because they need to learn a variety of positions ect.  Bubba comes from the BB tree too.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I bet there is a reason for that. Probably because they need to learn a variety of positions ect.  Bubba comes from the BB tree too.

Possibly, though on the other hand we've got coaches like Reid, Carroll and Payton with 0 special teams coaching who have done just fine as well. 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:48 PM, aReggie7 said:

I will try to keep it short. I put 10 things into two categories. (Management/Leadership and Football)

Good article on The Ringer. Not saying I totally agree with everything, but it's a good look at some important criteria.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/1/11/23549256/10-rules-for-hiring-an-nfl-head-coach

The one thing I like about Harbaugh is that he has won almost everywhere he has coached. I hear stories that he has a "different personality" but has been able to win at both levels despite this. He also has extensive head coaching experience. I think this team needs a seasoned leader right now. He would put fans in the seats and might help bring free agents as well. 

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good article on The Ringer. Not saying I totally agree with everything, but it's a good look at some important criteria.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/1/11/23549256/10-rules-for-hiring-an-nfl-head-coach

I agree with a lot of that article actually. 

I did lol at the Joe Judge part. But I feel it's a good lesson to learn not just about coaches but basically people in general in terms of hiring the right one. 

Did I miss something here? The Colts bypassed Bubba Ventrone (who I happen to like) as an interim head coach in the middle of the season, but now want us to believe they are seriously considering him for the head coaching gig? Explain to me how this makes any sense.

Just now, philba101 said:

Did I miss something here? The Colts bypassed Bubba Ventrone (who I happen to like) as an interim head coach in the middle of the season, but now want us to believe they are seriously considering him for the head coaching gig? Explain to me how this makes any sense.

Irsay wanted Saturday. Nothing more then he got what he wanted. Bubba was probably Ballards choice. Apparently keefer said bubba wanted it too.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/1/11/23549632/top-5-head-coaching-fits-for-the-indianapolis-colts

Here's a good article on some of the top names on the Colts' radar... + some that have not been requested yet(Mike Kafka)...

As intriguing as some of the young coordinators are, I agree with that take. JH can provide a staff that I feel could put this organization over the top. Bring in a good OC and DC like Fangio, and right this ship. Finally have an attacking style defense would be a major upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something to watch here. I have no idea if Arizona would give up that 3rd pick to saints but it’s something to watch because saints need a QB.

If arizona gives the 3rd pick to the saints for sean payton  then that is atleast two qbs gone before we pick

Just now, Stephen said:

If arizona gives the 3rd pick to the saints for sean payton  then that is atleast two qbs gone before we pick

It would probably be a 24 first but you never know. Next years draft class is good but that third pick this year would be pretty attractive because cardinals probably would not be that high in 24.

Cardinals would be good place for any potential coaches.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So a official from Denver, Carolina, Arizona, or Texans, thinks Harbaugh wants the colts job. 

Irsay give it to him. Not going to have another opportunity. Don't be a Fool!

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/1/11/23549632/top-5-head-coaching-fits-for-the-indianapolis-colts

Here's a good article on some of the top names on the Colts' radar... + some that have not been requested yet(Mike Kafka)...

The big question with the young coordinators is fine they have had recent success but do they have the relationships and connections to put together a solid staff.  More young assistants getting promoted and learning on the fly.  I’m not sure Ballard and the Colts are willing to take that chance.  I think Irsay would have to be blown away by one of the younger coordinators in this article in order to prevent him from leaning toward Jeff who is someone he knows and trusts.  Harbaugh or another experienced head coach is a different story.  Proven success and experience and a good coaching network is a big advantage imo.

50 minutes ago, philba101 said:

This could be due to already be short staffed after letting Marcus and Frank go. Also good to get an outsiders evaluation of all things. 

3 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Like Jeff; Irsay spy?  Could have done same with insider coach.

Irsay's evaluator. He had NO ties to anybody in the building per se . Can give an honest look at the whole picture without worrying about hurting anybody's feelings.  Plus if Bubba took over head coaching duties who would coach special teams? This allowed guys who was on staff to stay in their spot and just pick a little bit more collectively. 

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So a official from Denver, Carolina, Arizona, or Texans, thinks Harbaugh wants the colts job. 

I imagine it’s because they all feel it makes perfect sense for a reunion at this time.  The circumstances are now perfect for this to take place.  Last year no.  This year yes.  There are so many reports saying the same thing.  Almost seems inevitable.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

I imagine it’s because they all feel it makes perfect sense for a reunion at this time.  The circumstances are now perfect for this to take place.  Last year no.  This year yes.  There are so many reports saying the same thing.  Almost seems inevitable.  

Feels like there is no interest. But maybe there is stuff going on behind the scenes. Harbaughs people don’t seem shy about leaking where he is interviewing or jobs he is interested in. So not hearing anything concrete seems like there is no interest.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Feels like there is no interest. But maybe there is stuff going on behind the scenes. Harbaughs people don’t seem shy about leaking where he is interviewing or jobs he is interested in. So not hearing anything concrete seems like there is no interest.

The only concrete interest so far is Denver.  Carolina doesn’t seem like a reputable report.  The Colts are good about keeping things quiet.  It only gets out when they want it to.  Harbaugh’s people could be complying with that.  I guess we will find out soon enough.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Interesting note from Jeremy Fowler on ESPN. Saying Harbaugh wants the Colts job. Something weird is going on.

I hope so!  He really seems like a perfect fit for the community, as far as i know it, as well.

I remember reading an article about him pulling over to change someone's tire when they were stuck on the side of the road.  The person was like, wait, aren't you the qb for the colts.  lol.   He seems like a tough-minded guy and an odd bird but a really, really, good person.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

I don't think they had a replacement for any other staff members.  i do think that played a part in getting outside help

Archived