Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

2 hours ago, strt182 said:

Jeff has not disclosed any of people who he could bring in. From the pressers and the players feedback I like what i hear from Jeff.  Jeff's hands were pretty much tied coming in as interm. If you listened to his pressers then you probably heard the same things i heard.  I would love to see all the crow guys would eat on here if Jeff gets the job and the Colts win the division next year.  I never really take anything for granted except 17 games will be played. 

I would like to see the list of people Jeff would bring in around him to be OC/DC. Gus could be retained. We didn't hear much about John  Fox this year. 

I know this is like beating a dead horse but would be hilarious if Jeff got the job Ballard stepped down PM became the GM,  ( I like Ballard ) . Jeff hires Edge are rb coach . Marvin comes in as OC. Mathis becomes the DC.   

...and the Colts become the first team in NFL history to go 0-17.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Steichen was my choice. Love the Eagles offense he runs. Much better than our "plain-Jane" offense.

I thought their offense would be similar to Frank’s .  I haven’t really paid attention to the eagles that much this year . Their offense seemed kinda bland when we played them .

12 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I thought their offense would be similar to Frank’s .  I haven’t really paid attention to the eagles that much this year . Their offense seemed kinda bland when we played them .

Bland? U see their record? Colts we're worse then bland.

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree.  It can be successful if you have a great OC but then you face losing them to HC jobs. I much prefer offensive minded coaches and a great DC and staff. 

Especially where the Colts are now.  The defense is fine, the offense stinks.

Maybe interview 1 DC if he is black and you are satisfying the Rooney rule.

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

Especially where the Colts are now.  The defense is fine, the offense stinks.

Maybe interview 1 DC if he is black and you are satisfying the Rooney rule.

You do know that Morris coached offense for four consecutive years right?  Not that it's his specialty, but he's far from zero experience there.  Not to mention he's also run an entire team before.  

7 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

I will try to keep it short. I put 10 things into two categories. (Management/Leadership and Football)

Management/Leadership: 

• Accountability - Has to be someone who will hold the staff and players accountable.
  • Staff Management - Hire, develop, and maintain a strong staff.
  • Communication - Have to keep coaches and players engaged / interested, make sure everyone is on the same page, the message is clear.
  • Big Picture Thinker - Must be able to see the entirety of the football team and not get lost in the details. (not saying details don't matter though)
  • Prepared - The HC has to ensure that everyone involved is prepared. 

Football: 

• Game management - Deciding when to go for it on 4th down, go for 2 vs kick the XP, aggressive vs conservative, etc. 
  • Strategy of Xs and Os - There is a lot that can go in here but I am thinking of self scouting, evolving your schemes, properly utilizing players and maximizing their strengths, etc.
  • Teaching - This can probably go in either category but I am putting it here. They must be a good teacher. People learn differently, can't overload people with too much information, sometimes people don't know what they don't understand so a good teacher can help uncover that.
  • Scouting - Scouting opponents and identifying the most important  situations/concepts that you need to prepare your team for.
  • Meetings/Practices - How will the practices and meetings be organized and ran? 

Those are the areas that come to mind when I think about what we should look for in a HC. Some are really intertwined. From the outside it's impossible to judge candidates on a lot of these things. No candidate is going to check every box but these are along the lines of what I would look for in a HC and topics I would want to dive deep into during the interview process. 

Nice list. You could tell Dungy’s teams adjusted well after the half for the most of the time. 

Having a staff that does good in game adjustments w.r.t OC and DC is important to me. 

Lot of Belichick’s versatility came from drafting versatile players too where the coach needs to be in sync with the GM or be the GM himself. The Colts lack real speed on offense and could definitely use some to create mismatches, IMO. The food can only be as good as the groceries. :) 

3 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

So you like Frank.  Makes sense.

Obviously, you have never read my posts the last 5 years. I was lower on Frank than anyone on the forum the whole time he was here, and anyone who is active on this forum will back that up. 

Get outta here with that trash.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously, you have never read my posts the last 5 years. I was lower on Frank than anyone on the forum the whole time he was here, and anyone who is active on this forum will back that up. 

I thought I was the lowest on frank?  haha

Ok buddy, I'll give you this one if you give me that I'm the lowest on Ballard :funny:

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Frank was too conservative on offense . You need chunk plays to score a lot .  Going 80 yards on 5 yard passes and runs is not gonna work . 

9 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Maybe? If players like him so much, should play better. Going to be barf if he returns.

Ballard going to take his sweet time to get HC. 

I'm kinda rooting for Jeff even if just to avoid having to see you go through such a huge mood swing.

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read Harbaugh interviewed virtually yesterday with Denver.  I hope we have one set up as well.

Nope. Nothing planned yet at least. Curious. I find it surprising that he'd rather go to the Broncos who are tied to a bad QB forever vs a team with a high draft pick that can be used for the QB of the future (or at least has their options open QB wise). 

I'm higher on Raheem Morris than most. Go youtube some of his clips. Press conferences, mic'd up practice, players talking about and defending him. Hes been around a handful of really smart coaches too. Lots of energy I think he'd gel with our core really well. Get a young innovative OC to pair with him.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it’s worth….   Over on the Lions website, their depth chart shows the lions play a 4-2-5 .  

Not sure where the 3-4 reference came from? 

I looked into this a little more. They were mostly a 3-4 defense in 2021, but they ran more 4-2-5 in 2022, which I don't think I was aware of. That makes me feel better about Aaron Glenn's candidacy.

Archived