Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC Search Discussion Thread

JColts72

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Considering Ballard like Campbell not a bad idea to give someone on his staff a look. He has been great with Goff this year.

I don’t like hiring a DC but it’s just interviews right now.

Doesn't matter if HC gets right OC.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s all scheme that takes advantage of Allen’s talents.

I agree Johnson is way to green.  Only one year as OC.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if Jim Harbaugh already interviewed with colts and nobody knows.

Let’s hope so.  So far I’m not excited.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I feel confident that we've seen the last of Chris Strausser with the Colts. In fact, I think most -- if not all -- of the offensive staff will be gone. I think Montgomery is the only guy that could stand on his work and say 'I've done a good job here.' 

Route running was slightly better with Reggie but yeah I think he gone too

Apparently, teams can't have interviews with currently employed coaches until Wednesday, and can't have in-person interviews until after wild card weekend. Unless I'm reading this wrong...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/28/nfl-tweaks-the-rules-for-interviewing-head-coaching-candidates/

First, teams cannot interview a head-coaching candidate who is employed by another NFL team until the third day after the conclusion of that team’s Week 18 game. This specifically applies to assistant coaches working for teams that did not qualify for the playoffs or that earned a first-round bye. For teams that play in the wild-card round, assistant coaches cannot be interviewed until the following Tuesday (for Saturday and Sunday games) or Wednesday (for the Monday game).

Second, no in-person interviews are permitted with candidates who are employed by other teams until after all wild-card games have ended. Before the end of the wild-card round, in-person interviews may occur only with candidates employed by the team hiring a head coach or candidates not currently employed by the NFL.

So if you want to interview Harbaugh, go right ahead (and maybe the Colts do, but they need Michigan's consent, and that starts with Harbaugh notifying Michigan that he's interested). But it seems like everyone else is employed by another team, so there are some brakes being applied with these new rules.

I think they should make teams wait until after the SB to do any interviews, period. Just put all HC interviewing and hiring on hold until everyone is fully available. I understand there's a lot of team activity and teams want to get their guy in place asap, but the current process is chaotic, and based on the high amount of turnover, it doesn't work well. It also allows for situations like McDaniels, or puts potential candidates whose teams are in the playoffs in a position where they have to decide whether they want to spend a couple days preparing and interviewing, rather than focusing on their current duties. Just level the playing field for everyone, and make everyone wait until after the SB.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Route running was slightly better with Reggie but yeah I think he gone too

Something that irked me is that it took two months of Pierce running go routes 18 inches from the sideline before someone told him to leave a three yard gap for the QB to drop the ball in. A half dozen opportunities for go balls didn't work out because he was too close to the sideline. 

Maybe they were telling him this all along, and he kept messing up. Seems unlikely to me.

But I was never thrilled with the idea of Reggie being the WR coach to begin with. I love him, I appreciate his role, but I wanted an experienced WR coach, not a newbie. Make Reggie an assistant and let him get his feet wet. I mean, Kevin Mawae is an assistant OL coach. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

What's the difference between Shane Steichen and Ben Johnson?

I like the Eagles offense a bit more and I like the idea of a guy who was on the Colts former OC’s staff coming back.  For a team that has constantly been going through off-season changes any familiarity that he might bring with a similar offensive philosophy that they had under Nick can’t hurt.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Chris will be only one interviewing or Jim too?

Historically, Pete Ward has been involved. I'm sure it won't be just Ballard.

1 minute ago, JColts72 said:

Shane is a big Reich supporter. Ben worked wonders with Lion QB.

Shane works for a Reich supporter. I'm curious whether he'll accept the interview. I don't know if he has any direct connection to Reich himself. 

But my point is I think Steichen and Johnson have very similar profiles. Without really knowing either of them, I kind of have them in the same bucket, personally. 

Archived