Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I hope we sit the starters in week 18

Yoshinator

At this point, there is no upside to starting the starters next week. The only thing that can happen is someone tears their ACL or Achilles, and we lose them next year. No upside to it. I hope we give the young players time to play, see what they have against the Texans. Start Sam for the week as well so we can get one more game out of him before the season ends, and hopefully lose so we have a shot at the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. 

There is nothing else to evaluate from the starters, let's give a game to the backups, evaluate them, and go into next year with some knowledge of the players on our team. Reich isn't coaching for his job anymore, I seriously doubt a win would keep Saturday around, and losing this game could even knock the Texans down to 2nd in the draft where they may not get Bryce Young, and we have trade up possibilities with the Bears if we wanted him. 

Time to finish our mission. Lose out, and make this a better team next year and beyond!

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, there is no upside to starting the starters next week. The only thing that can happen is someone tears their ACL or Achilles, and we lose them next year. No upside to it. I hope we give the young players time to play, see what they have against the Texans. Start Sam for the week as well so we can get one more game out of him before the season ends, and hopefully lose so we have a shot at the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. 

There is nothing else to evaluate from the starters, let's give a game to the backups, evaluate them, and go into next year with some knowledge of the players on our team. Reich isn't coaching for his job anymore, I seriously doubt a win would keep Saturday around, and losing this game could even knock the Texans down to 2nd in the draft where they may not get Bryce Young, and we have trade up possibilities with the Bears if we wanted him. 

Time to finish our mission. Lose out, and make this a better team next year and beyond!

I hope if we draft it's either Levi's or Stroud. Young is good but at 185 lbs, he doesn't translate to today's NFL.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I hope if we draft it's either Levi's or Stroud. Young is good but at 185 lbs, he doesn't translate to today's NFL.

That's a fair argument. As of now, I'm unbiased towards the three. My least favorite is Levis, but I want to dig deeper to see why he is liked by scouts and analysts.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If any of these guys like Buckner are considered trade bait after the season they should sit do they don’t get injured.

Yep. The Raiders sat Carr for that reason. They will probably trade him at the end of the year, and don't want an injury spoiling that possibility.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

That's a fair argument. As of now, I'm unbiased towards the three. My least favorite is Levis, but I want to dig deeper to see why he is liked by scouts and analysts.

i think its mainly his size and arm strength

Just now, Jack86 said:

Maybe we’ll start winning games if we do! Hehe.

Ballards approach seems to be, if it is broke, don’t fix it! :thmup:

For sure. If this was an effort to tank by Ballard in secrecy, then Bravo. However, I would give more credit to Irsay for something like that with the Saturday hire. Ballard is just an incompetent GM.

Just now, tomloge1 said:

We have starters?

By definition yes. They don't play like starters lol. haha 

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not sure it's gonna matter.  Whether we sit the starters or play them.  This dumpster fire will still continue to burn.

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

i think its mainly his size and arm strength

I agree with this. That, and he plays in a pro-style offense. I just want to look into other factors, such as competition level, talent around him etc... to see if I want him on the Colts. He does have the frame to play in the NFL.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm not sure it's gonna matter.  Whether we sit the starters or play them.  This dumpster fire will still continue to burn.

I hope so for one more game. I just don't want to beat the Texans and have that be the difference in having to trade up for a QB and being able to take one at our regular draft position.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with this. That, and he plays in a pro-style offense. I just want to look into other factors, such as competition level, talent around him etc... to see if I want him on the Colts. He does have the frame to play in the NFL.

I hope so for one more game. I just don't want to beat the Texans and have that be the difference in having to trade up for a QB and being able to take one at our regular draft position.

I prefer Stroud out of the 3  , but I think we get Levis

Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, it’s time they hang up their boots. Sam E will have his last chance for audition vs the Texans and if he doesn’t show us much, I’d say clean the QB cupboard and double dip in the draft and add Brissett as the 3rd QB and vet.

this whole team needs to be redone.  after watching no one respond to thibs do a snow angel next to foles while he is convulsing told me everything I need to know about this team.

It isn't a team and they've all gone soft.  Nelson, Kelly, Smith all got paid and checked out. 

whoever we draft better be able to run 

We are down to third string QB and RBs already though?  A backup oline could get Sam killed out there, I dont think thats a good idea lol

Pittman wont want to sit, it would probably make him mad.  I can see some good arguments to do it but he also hasnt been a huge difference maker for us winning games anyway 

51 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

A backup oline could get Sam killed out there, I dont think thats a good idea lol

Well after a couple of years of being immersed in the same playbook and seeing the other QBs not adjust to the OL levels, if he’s really any good, he’d know to get rid of the ball fast enough or take off fast enough.

What are we protecting him for if we can’t get an evaluation under all circumstances? It would be tantamount to making excuses to the point of “well, he was going against Belichick; well, he’s got the odds stacked against him and so on…”. 

So did Mike White and he toughed it out and played through it. We WANT to evaluate a young QB under such circumstances, IMO, to know if he’s worthy enough to be retained as a backup. Plus he’d be playing at home.

The rest is all Sam E fan excuses to me. I’d still think healthy OL starters would play, the depth is only so much.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would expect they would move Grover before Buckner given the choice.  Buckner is more valuable.

I see it just the opposite. Buckner is under contract for 2 more years and could be a big addition for a contending level team. He would get us the most in a move. He will be wasted here those years as we look to be bottom dwellers in our immediate future. He deserves better than to wallow here.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well after a couple of years of being immersed in the same playbook and seeing the other QBs not adjust to the OL levels, if he’s really any good, he’d know to get rid of the ball fast enough or take off fast enough.

What are we protecting him for if we can’t get an evaluation under all circumstances? 

I dont think Sam is good personally, i think putting a backup line that hasn't played could lead to a lot of hits though

Its about protecting him for his own safety, not to be our future QB

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we trade for Carr or Love and draft the tackle with the 1st and AR  or McKee with the 2nd or 3rd.  

We might move back in the 1st round too and gain picks, that’s a possibility too. Rodgers making the playoffs lowers Love’s asking price to a straight up 3rd rounder because he has only 2 years left. Derek Carr should fetch an early 2nd rounder even if Stidham plays well because of a larger sample space.

Right now, with paying so many retreads for QBs plus wanting a rookie QB for 5 years, I’m still leaning towards a QB drafted

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we trade for Carr or Love and draft the tackle with the 1st and AR  or McKee with the 2nd or 3rd.  

I would be -  if we get Carr, it would probably be only after the Raiders cut him because his contract would be cost prohibitive to a trade unless Las Vegas assumes a good portion of it.

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont think Sam is good personally, i think putting a backup line that hasn't been played could lead to a lot of hits though

Its about protecting him for his own safety, not to be our future QB

I doubt there’s enough depth to trot out a completely backup OL. I expect healthy OL starters to play. Saturday takes a long time to bench underachieving starters and play backups, based on what I’m seeing. So most of the OL starters play and Sam E will get one last audition with no excuses.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Why make a trade for Carr when the Raiders are going to release him? 

I don't know the ends and outs of Carrs contract but I would rather see the Colts draft their future QB. 

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I see it just the opposite. Buckner is under contract for 2 more years and could be a big addition for a contending level team. He would get us the most in a move. He will be wasted here those years as we look to be bottom dwellers in our immediate future. He deserves better than to wallow here.

We will be contenders next year with Carr or Love.  I think that’s how they view the team.  It would be easier to attract a coach like Harbaugh or another experienced coach with either of those two.  That said I wouldn’t be surprised if we sign a college coach tbh.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

our backups may be better than our starters

1 hour ago, colts52761 said:

What about Richardson? Didn't get to see him play this year?

Richardson is this years Jordan Love or Trey Lance.   Not because they’re black, but because they didn’t play as much as you’d want in college so they don’t have much experience.  

But they’re uber athletic and have great raw skills.  But they might be the furthest away.    Love has been a Packer three years yet hasn’t shown much.   Lance has been a 49er two years yet hasn’t shown much.  Scouts think it could be the same for Richardson. 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt there’s enough depth to trot out a completely backup OL. I expect healthy OL starters to play. Saturday takes a long time to bench underachieving starters and play backups, based on what I’m seeing. So most of the OL starters play and Sam E will get one last audition with no excuses.

imo saturday is only here to report to irsay the talent level and attitude of the guys ballard has filled the roster with, he is irsays hatchet man

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I hope they lose this game. Play the starters the whole game. 

13 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

imo saturday is only here to report to irsay the talent level and attitude of the guys ballard has filled the roster with, he is irsays hatchet man

I hope that's the case, and wholesale personnel changes are made in the offseason.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Didn't we sit the starters for the past 6 weeks?

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Richardson is this years Jordan Love or Trey Lance.   Not because they’re black, but because they didn’t play as much as you’d want in college so they don’t have much experience.  

But they’re uber athletic and have great raw skills.  But they might be the furthest away.    Love has been a Packer three years yet hasn’t shown much.   Lance has been a 49er two years yet hasn’t shown much.  Scouts think it could be the same for Richardson. 

Mahomes went into a very good situation, people forget. With Reid, Hill and Kelce, and a GM willing to play FA and trades to get JuJu, Toney etc., it reminds me a lot of Peyton’s Colts once Dallas Clark was drafted to go with Harrison and Wayne.

Tom Moore and the continuity, not taking check downs and being pass happy, and relying more on QB and ironically this year a special teams with lowest FG % in the league and muffed punts and returns giving Polian teams’ horrid special teams a run for their money.

So being drafted at No.1, Joe Burrow and at No.8, Josh Allen both went to worse situations, so it took a few years for their GMs to pile the talent on OL and pass catchers while their QB was improving constantly. That’s why winning came early for Mahomes and now there’s more competition.

So, even if it’s Anthony Richardson, you need the right HC to develop and right FA moves made by the GM to support the QB.

Archived