Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Eagles Game: Discussion, Reality, Info, Game Plan, Poll

EastStreet

2022 Eagles Game: Discussion, Reality, Info, Game Plan, Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Game outcome

• Colts blow out win (15 points or more)
    • Colts medium win (8-14 points)
    • Colts close win (7 or less points)
    • Eagles close win (7 or less points)
    • Eagles medium win (8-14 points)
    • Eagles blow out win (15 points or more)
  2. 2. Ryan's Yards

3. 3. JT yards

4. 4. Ryan Sacks (only 1 last week)

5. 5. Ryan INTs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/20/2022 at 06:00 PM

Disclaimer
We should get beaten by 10+ points. Philly has a great roster, and we've been simply bad this year. Would never bet on Indy winning over Philly. Probably not either with points... 

Reality

• Philly is good, and likely 9-0 when we see them
  • Philly has a great roster
  • Philly is a 10ish point favorite, surprised it wasn't bigger
  • Philly has the #4 Offense, and #3 Defense
  • Raiders aren't good.

Also Reality

• Philly's SoS is one of the worst in the NFL (#31). Are they for real? Or the record and individual grades are partially a product of a #31 SoS?
  • Philly has two quality wins.
    • One early season home game vs MN (who has improved)
    • One home game vs Dallas without Dak. 
    • The rest, IIRC, are not playoff teams. 
  • Philly's run D isn't great (#20). About the same as LVR. Can JT have success?
  • Raiders have a bad record, but 4 losses were very close (LAC, AZ in OT, 2pt loss to TN, and 1pt loss to KC). And 3 of those games were on the road... 

Questions

• Will we see more OL tweaks?
  • Will we see tempo again?
  • Will we see more power OL scheme in the running game?
  • Will we see more Speed (for containment of Hurts), or a DB spy?

Eagles factoids

• Eagles D runs both 4-3 and 3-4 DL sets. 
  • Eagles D uses quarters and quarter/half a lot with their secondary (focuses to limit big pass plays). 
  • Eagles are #2 in INTs... can Ryan stay clean?
  • Eagles are #5 in pressure %, but only 14th in sacks. 
  • Eagles run D, is below average. 
  • Eagles Passing O is one of the most efficient teams in the NFL, but bottom 10 in pass attempts. 
  • Eagles Rush O is top 10 in YPG, but average YPC. 

Gameplan?

• Expect more running, given Eagles' run D looks to be a weak link. And expect more power.
  • Will need to pass to win. So expect more tempo to help the OL and Ryan. And some zone beaters, and short stuff vs their quarters / quarter half D. 
  • Assume our D will key on the run, and spy Hurts. And maybe a bit more LB or DB blitzing. 
  • Philly has good balance when they do pass the ball. At least between Brown, Goedert, and Smith. Hurts does a great job dealing around to those 3. Gilmore likely needs to man one guy, and perhaps rotate double coverage depending the sets we see. Moore scares me... 

eagles run defense looks horrible so far in this game .  they are making the commanders look like the bills offense .  colts held them to 7 points going into the 4th .  i have a weird feelings for some reason colts will give the eagles a tough game . its how the colts always play up to good teams and play down to bad teams

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

eagles run defense looks horrible so far in this game .  they are making the commanders look like the bills offense .  colts held them to 7 points going into the 4th .  i have a weird feelings for some reason colts will give the eagles a tough game . its how the colts always play up to good teams and play down to bad teams

Division games are also tough to judge a team on. Washington was blown out in the last matchup and are making the adjustments from last game

5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It was one of my points above.

Philly has been a bit of a “paper tiger” this year (SOS) 

That being said, I’m much more confident about the game because of JT, Ryan and better play of the Oline.

Run the ball and keep the Eagles offense off the field.

Colts have a good chance of winning the game.

41 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Philly has been a bit of a “paper tiger” this year (SOS) 

That being said, I’m much more confident about the game because of JT, Ryan and better play of the Oline.

Run the ball and keep the Eagles offense off the field.

Colts have a good chance of winning the game.

Yup. Before watching tonight, assumed we would lose. After watching,

I think it's closer to a coinflip. 

Wonder if that 9.5 line drops now. 

The Colts need to follow the Commander's blueprint: eat the clock and keep the ball away from the Eagles as long as possible. An Eagles fan I know said that the DC, Gannon, is usually not aggressive enough. He prefers to let the other team make mistakes, then have the Eagles capitalize on it. 

If the Colts fumble, throw interceptions, commit numerous penalties, it will give the Eagles more of a chance. Play error free football, commit to the run (Eagles aren't very good on run defense) and shove it down the field. It could be close game, but winnable. 

IMO, a smart play caller would have lots of unbalanced play calling favoring lots of running, maybe nearly 50 attempts like the Commanders.....with shallow passing...in order to eat clock and keep a better offensive football team off the field.   Its generally the offensive game plan that a team needs to have every week when the smart HC knows his personnel is inferior, in this case carried to the extreme because we're against a very good team. 

Probably will have to forego a FG here and there to have a chance to score a TD.  That would be smart, but tough to execute.   With JT and Philly's pass defense, we might need to run a lot in the RZ.

Hopefully, the D plays soft zone to limit the big plays so that Philly's drives also eat the clock, limiting the number of possessions their offense has in the game. 

Hold their reduced number of possessions to FGs and we have a good chance of winning.

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, a smart play caller would have lots of unbalanced play calling favoring lots of running, maybe nearly 50 attempts like the Commanders.....with shallow passing...in order to eat clock and keep a better offensive football team off the field.   Its generally the offensive game plan that a team needs to have every week when the smart HC knows his personnel is inferior, in this case carried to the extreme because we're against a very good team. 

Probably will have to forego a FG here and there to have a chance to score a TD.  That would be smart, but tough to execute.   With JT and Philly's pass defense, we might need to run a lot in the RZ.

Hopefully, the D plays soft zone to limit the big plays so that Philly's drives also eat the clock, limiting the number of possessions their offense has in the game. 

Hold their reduced number of possessions to FGs and we have a good chance of winning.

Zone should be used regularly due to Hurts' running ability anyway.

And, I'd like to see an increase in the use of our TEs as receivers. They should be on the field anyway for blocking purposes. Yeah, I know they're not great blockers, but they are big bodies. At least get in the way.

Dallas Goedert out for a few games is HUGE. A J Brown rolled his ankle in the MNF game, so he is most likely a decoy on most routes, don't put Rodgers on him because he will steam roll him, put Gilmore on him for being physical and mix and match with the occasional safety rolled over. The most important part is rush four with a spy because Hurts' legs and their run game is going to be leaned upon this game because of all the injuries to the pass catchers, period.

The game plan for both the Colts and the Eagles will be to smash mouth run the ball. Whichever team runs the ball better, most likely wins the game eventually. This is a game where we MUST have Paye to set the edge.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Dallas Goedert out for a few games is HUGE. A J Brown rolled his ankle in the MNF game, so he is most likely a decoy on most routes, don't put Rodgers on him because he will steam roll him, put Gilmore on him for being physical and mix and match with the occasional safety rolled over. The most important part is rush four with a spy because Hurts' legs and their run game is going to be leaned upon this game because of all the injuries to the pass catchers, period.

The game plan for both the Colts and the Eagles will be to smash mouth run the ball. Whichever team runs the ball better, most likely wins the game eventually. This is a game where we MUST have Paye to set the edge.

If brown is limited that is a big break for the colts. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Big time... 

They had 3 great targets. One gone.. and the other 2 are on the report....

A.J. Brown (ankle), DeVonta Smith (knee)

I wish the Eagles had won last week.  They will be fired up so I hope Saturday has the Colts fired up.  I voted realistically.   I think the Colts lose this game.  Philly is the better team and has something to play for like the Colts.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wish the Eagles had won last week.  They will be fired up so I hope Saturday has the Colts fired up.  I voted realistically.   I think the Colts lose this game.  Philly is the better team and has something to play for like the Colts.  

Me too. But it also could create a hangover.

And with Goedert out, and both WR1 and WR2 gimpy, anything could happen. 

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Me too. But it also could create a hangover.

And with Goedert out, and both WR1 and WR2 gimpy, anything could happen. 

A Colts win will put them back in the playoff race.  It would be a huge win for the Colts.  

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Big time... 

They had 3 great targets. One gone.. and the other 2 are on the report....

A.J. Brown (ankle), DeVonta Smith (knee)

Eagles held only a Walk through and Thursday, Friday would've practices. 

AJB has told reporters that he'll be fine for the game, and he's probably going to be healthy. 

Not sure about Smith, but he seems to have played through the injury last week already. 

If they both don't suffer any setback in practices this week, they should be good enough to go. Practice reports are worth monitoring in the meantime. 

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Eagles held only a Walk through and Thursday, Friday would've practices. 

AJB has told reporters that he'll be fine for the game, and he's probably going to be healthy. 

Not sure about Smith, but he seems to have played through the injury last week already. 

If they both don't suffer any setback in practices this week, they should be good enough to go. Practice reports are worth monitoring in the meantime. 

I'm sure both will play. But ankles and knees suck.. 

And both were low in yards vs WA... Smith only 39, and Brown only 7.

Quez is an interesting WR. Crazy fast. If Moore is covering, very afraid. 

It’s a pretty basic game, the Eagles were a much better team all around. What Washington did shows they have decencies. We have the ability to run effectively as long as the O line plays with energy and  are fundamentally efficient. This was how they played last week for most of the game against a bottom have defense. Philly has a better defense so Saturday and Fraser had  better figure out schemes and find a way to get our linemen fired up like their jobs depend on it. 

I’m going to the game with some friends from Australia. We’ve played fantasy together for a decade now and they’re over on holiday going to a slate of games right now. They were at the Vikings/Bills game Sunday. 

It’s an interesting game, and thank god because I really thought it was gonna suck a couple weeks ago. 

I don’t know what in the # to expect Sunday so I guess I’ll just go downtown and see it for myself. :dunno:

On 11/16/2022 at 10:31 PM, John Waylon said:

I’m going to the game with some friends from Australia. We’ve played fantasy together for a decade now and they’re over on holiday going to a slate of games right now. They were at the Vikings/Bills game Sunday. 

It’s an interesting game, and thank god because I really thought it was gonna suck a couple weeks ago. 

I don’t know what in the # to expect Sunday so I guess I’ll just go downtown and see it for myself. :dunno:

If they are here for the holidays, make sure you play "How to Make Gravy" (Paul Kelly) and "Mistress For Christmas" lol... They'll look at you What TF... lol.. 

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

Isn’t that the truth? All of a sudden a “lost” season has a glimmer of hope and the fan base is eager to watch. 

Yup. At least my fam and friends in Indy are refreshed and interested again. Not saying Saturday is a long term answer, but vibes feel better right now. 

Archived