Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if the QB if the future is not in this year’s draft?

coltsfeva

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Would you feel comfortable with Sam Ehliger for a year, acquire another 1st rounder and zero in on a guy like Bennett in 2024? 
  I don’t know enough about this year’s draft but Bennett looks like the real deal.

Thoughts?

Zero in on one guy?  :cheers: :headspin:

I think Ballard (or whoever gets to make the decision) will have a tough choice to make this off season. 
   If Sam does well, do you gamble he can get even better and get the best LT in the draft? Or, do you get a QB regardless of how Sam does and maybe trade one later if one proves to be the answer to our needs?

Regardless, fear of missing on a QB isn’t a reason to not throw darts hoping to get a hit. 

31 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Would you feel comfortable with Sam Ehliger for a year, acquire another 1st rounder and zero in on a guy like Bennett in 2024? 
  I don’t know enough about this year’s draft but Bennett looks like the real deal.

Thoughts?

Bennett ? NFL QB ? 5'11 190 lbs, he is the typical college star that has next to no chance at the next level. Now if waiting for Caleb Williams who does look like a future NFL star is talked about thats a different story.

I've said this in a few other threads.  Some are mistakenly looking at this like it will be another Manning/Luck situation.  It's like magic - if you want a Manning or Luck, you just go ahead and draft them.  The Colts will not be in a position to draft a QB you just anoint, Manning or Luck style.  Even if they draft a QB, there's a chance they could be sitting next year with Sam starting.

To me, it's beginning to look like it's Levis or nothing, and there is no guarantee they would be able to pull that off.  Could Sam be starting in 2023?  Absolutely.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

I've said this in a few other threads.  Some are mistakenly looking at this like it will be another Manning/Luck situation.  It's like magic - if you want a Manning or Luck, you just go ahead and draft them.  The Colts will not be in a position to draft a QB you just anoint, Manning or Luck style.  Even if they draft a QB, there's a chance they could be sitting next year with Sam starting.

To me, it's beginning to look like it's Levis or nothing, and there is no guarantee they would be able to pull that off.  Could Sam be starting in 2023?  Absolutely.

I’m with you.  It’s Levis or nothing.  I was hoping the other quarterbacks on the loaded teams would allow him to drop.  After yesterday’s results that might not happen.  Darn it.

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Thoughts?

People have been saying that for two years. Wait till next year’s class. Problem is then what if you’re in the same position next year? A lot of people didn’t like last year’s class and said we should wait until 2023 because the QBs would be better.

The perfect guy and situation doesn’t always exist. We got it twice in 1998 and 2012 and aren’t getting that again. Eventually you have to take a swing on a guy with good traits, adapt the offense to him, and support him with good protection and weapons.

Levis is that perfect mold. You can adapt him to a couple different systems. 

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think Ballard (or whoever gets to make the decision) will have a tough choice to make this off season. 
   If Sam does well, do you gamble he can get even better and get the best LT in the draft? Or, do you get a QB regardless of how Sam does and maybe trade one later if one proves to be the answer to our needs?

Regardless, fear of missing on a QB isn’t a reason to not throw darts hoping to get a hit. 

I think it’s going to come down to how well Sam plays and who colts can realistically go after as far as QB. If your not giving up draft picks for the QB can always start Sam next year. If he plays great you have two guys who can have trade value.

28 minutes ago, #12. said:

Not for sure getting a Manning/Luck doesn’t mean they shouldn’t draft a QB. 

With an extremely solid QB class in 2023.....

You draft the best QB you can in 2023

If they come in and SUCKETH, and they are proven to not be the guy.

You draft the best QB you can in 2024

RINSE, WASH, and REPEAT

I will be VERY surprised  and HIGHLY disappointed if we dont try very early at QB in 2023

If they are developing, you hang with them, they may be the QB of the future

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

With an extremely solid QB class in 2023.....

You draft the best QB you can in 2023

If they come in and SUCKETH, and they are proven to not be the guy.

You draft the best QB you can in 2024

RINSE, WASH, and REPEAT

I will be VERY surprised  and HIGHLY disappointed if we dont try very early at QB in 2023

If they are developing, you hang with them, they may be the QB of the future

With you 99.99% of the way. IF Sam balls out and shows he can be the one, I’m ok with going after the best LT. 

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

With 99.99% of the way. IF Sam balls out and shows he can be the one, I’m ok with going after the best LT. 

I truly hope that you are right

I think with Sam we will win 2-3 more games

Where you are drafted of COURSE is not a final say on how you will turn out..... I think his ceiling when drafted, was backup QB

The Colts have watched Sam in 2 offseasons and have seen him in practice

They STILL brought in Foles

The other teams see Sam as an extreme long shot.....  If the COLTs thought he was good enough to be a back up.....

you dont bring in Foles

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I wouldnt be so sure, I have a feeling the Pats are going to trounce us today and this season is going to take a dark turn.

The Colts are a bad team. Reality for many fans will set in after the loss to the Patriots. This game will have this forum melting down.

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I truly hope that you are right

I think with Sam we will win 2-3 more games

Where you are drafted of COURSE is not a final say on how you will turn out..... I think his ceiling when drafted, was backup QB

The Colts have watched Sam in 2 offseasons and have seen him in practice

They STILL brought in Foles

The other teams see Sam as an extreme long shot.....  If the COLTs thought he was good enough to be a back up.....

you dont bring in Foles

To be fair, they brought in Foles BEFORE the preseason games. Sam balled out during the preseason. Yes, it was against 3rd stringers, but he was good enough to get a chance during this season over Foles. 

I know Sam being the one is a long shot, but from what we’ve heard from coaches and the FO he’s made strides.

He was good enough they didn’t cut him to put him on their PS, because he would’ve been picked up by another team. 

Colts will get to 6 or 7 wins and be out of the top 3 picks.

There will be lots of teams in the mix for a new QB, including the Raiders, who pick one of the rookies ahead of the Colts and then send Carr to Indy.

Sam is not the guy. There is a 0.Zero Zero % Chance he opens the season next year as QB1. It ain’t happening. 

52 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think it’s going to come down to how well Sam plays and who colts can realistically go after as far as QB. If your not giving up draft picks for the QB can always start Sam next year. If he plays great you have two guys who can have trade value.

Having two capable QBs is not a bad thing

14 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Sam is not the guy. There is a 0.Zero Zero % Chance he opens the season next year as QB1. It ain’t happening. 

I would say its closer to 5% chance......  But not Zero

18 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Colts will get to 6 or 7 wins and be out of the top 3 picks.

There will be lots of teams in the mix for a new QB, including the Raiders, who pick one of the rookies ahead of the Colts and then send Carr to Indy.

Colts I think are done with vet QB.

16 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

No Qb this draft coming up, then trade our pick for a young unhappy good qb from another team that does not want to be there or that team can not afford him.

And who exactly just has a future franchise QB sitting on their bench they aren’t playing?  Also, the later doesn’t happen with franchise QBs.  Budgets start with them.

There are no sure things with QBs. You draft someone that you feel can support and bring out his strengths the best in a system tailored for him. 

All these “I don’t like the QBs in this draft, I’m not convinced…” is all code speak for not being convinced our organization can develop a QB according to his strengths.  Or the posters want to come back a few years from now and gloat “I told you so”.

Just look at the job Vrabel is doing with Willis (being competitive) and John Harbaugh is doing with Lamar. A lot of you guys would be writing off all those QBs, except the coaches who know to coach. Heck, Jon Fox tore the playbook with Tebow for a year and asked Mike McCoy to call plays that played to his strengths. That’s what good coaches do. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

There are no sure things with QBs. You draft someone that you feel can support and bring out his strengths the best in a system tailored for him. 

All these “I don’t like the QBs in this draft, I’m not convinced…” is all code speak for not being convinced our organization can develop a QB according to his strengths.  Or the posters want to come back a few years from now and gloat “I told you so”.

Just look at the job Vrabel is doing with Willis and John Harbaugh is doing with Lamar. A lot of you guys would be writing off all those QBs, except the coaches who know to coach.

Vrabel is the main reason TN wins games. TN basically relies on their opponents to beat themselves week in and week out, while the Titans don’t typically beat themselves with costly fumbles or penalties. And it works for them in the regular season. Not so much in the postseason. And Willis sucks. I’d be willing to bet he won’t be anything more than a career backup. 

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Vrabel is the main reason TN wins games. TN basically relies on their opponents to beat themselves week in and week out, while the Titans don’t typically beat themselves with costly fumbles or penalties. And it works for them in the regular season. Not so much in the postseason. And Willis sucks. I’d be willing to bet he won’t be anything more than a career backup. 

Same thing with Tannehill but you devise a system and get them to play hard inside it. Playing 60 minutes on offense, defense AND special teams. That’s the Belichick/Brady mantra and Vrabel has got his team convinced. It took Dungy and Manning a while to catch on to playing 60 minutes against them. That’s how our AFCCG win and 4th & 2 game wins came by. When it’s more than lip service, teams overachieve, which the Titans do.

Teams like the Chiefs and Bills can rely more on individual talents and sometimes don’t devise Plans B or C to win games different ways, by running the ball or special teams etc. The early 2000 Patriots teams is what Vrabel wants to model his teams on, ball control, and 60 minutes in all phases

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just look at the job Vrabel is doing with Willis (being competitive) and John Harbaugh is doing with Lamar. A lot of you guys would be writing off all those QBs, except the coaches who know to coach. Heck, Jon Fox tore the playbook with Tebow for a year and asked Mike McCoy to call plays that played to his strengths. That’s what good coaches do. 

You know myself and a few other posters have said this as well the last few days. But the issue is a fanbase that has had the number 1 overall pick twice when generational QB prospects were coming out. It has spoiled people into the notion that drafting a QB high is only worth it if there is a can’t miss guy and we have the top pick. This fanbase wants Luck or Manning. They don’t realize that Joe Flacco’s and Big Ben’s win SuperBowl’s too.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

You know myself and a few other posters have said this as well the last few days. But the issue is a fanbase that has had the number 1 overall pick twice when generational QB prospects were coming out. It has spoiled people into the notion that drafting a QB high is only worth it if there is a can’t miss guy and we have the top pick. This fanbase wants Luck or Manning. They don’t realize that Joe Flacco’s and Big Ben’s win SuperBowl’s too.

Absolutely!!!

Archived