Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Watch this drive by Sam Erlinger

BrazilColts

He was a freshman and led this 91 yard drive against USC. First time inserted because the starter got hurt. The score was 14 - 10 with only 5 minutes left. Vinny Young was going crazy watching this comeback. Remember that Ballard said, he has the "it" factor.  I say give the kid a chance.  He is a sixth rounder.... 

Oy vey.

Remember.. he lasted until pick 218.

He wasn’t even the backup for the majority of his NFL career.

The Colts acquired Nick Foles to back up Ryan when they already had Sam on the roster.

People thinking he’s coming in to give the Colts a better chance are crazy. 
Please prove me wrong.. but this is a wasted year with players like JT, Nelson, Pittman, Buckner, and Shaq (if he were playing) in their prime. 

I don’t care who the QB is, I always want the season to end with a Super Bowl win. And that ain’t happening with Sam Ehlinger as the starting Q.

9 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Oy vey.

The Colts acquired Nick Foles to back up Ryan when they already had Sam on the roster.

Please prove me wrong.. but this is a wasted year with players like JT, Nelson, Pittman, Buckner, and Shaq (if he were playing) in their prime. 

I don’t care who the QB is, I always want the season to end with a Super Bowl win. And that ain’t happening with Sam Ehlinger as the starting Q.

2019 and 2021 were wasted years as well. I mean we should all want a Super Bowl, but by that metric basically every season besides 2006 was a wasted year. 

14 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Oy vey.

it aint happening with ryan either  colts would of never even made the playoffs

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

2019 and 2021 were wasted years as well. I mean we should all want a Super Bowl, but by that metric basically every season besides 2006 was a wasted year. 

If anyone thinks a wasted year is not winning a SB, then they have been miserable their whole lives lmao other than 1970 and 2006. I wasn't born until 1971. To me, yes 2006 was the best obviously because we won the SB but seasons like 1987, 1995, 2004, 2012 were almost just as great. It didn't end well but those seasons had a ton of great memories. I thought 2020 with Rivers was good too.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If anyone thinks a wasted year is not winning a SB, then they have been miserable their whole lives lmao other than 1970 and 2006. I wasn't born until 1971. To me, yes 2006 was the best obviously because we won the SB but seasons like 1987, 1995, 2004, 2012 were almost just as great. It didn't end well but those seasons had a ton of great memories. I thought 2020 with Rivers was good too.

I didn't include 2009 because our FO quit on a perfect season = BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought 2020 was a good year as well. Went 11-5, and played hard against the Bills right up until the end in their house. I loved 2012 and 2014. Really fun, exciting years with Luck. Pretty much every year Manning played was fun. I know we got frustrated come playoff time, but it felt good to at least win the division each season and have a chance. 2005 was so underrated. 

Last season was odd. We looked pretty bad to start the season, then upset the 49ers in the monsoon, went off against the Bills, beat the Cards on an awesome Christmas Day game and finally… FINALLY beat the Patriots. So ridiculously frustrating to lose those last two games. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I thought 2020 was a good year as well. Went 11-5, and played hard against the Bills right up until the end in their house. I loved 2012 and 2014. Really fun, exciting years with Luck. Pretty much every year Manning played was fun. I know we got frustrated come playoff time, but it felt good to at least win the division each season and have a chance. 2005 was so underrated. 

Last season was odd. We looked pretty bad to start the season, then upset the 49ers in the monsoon, went off against the Bills, beat the Cards on an awesome Christmas Day game and finally… FINALLY beat the Patriots. So ridiculously frustrating to lose those last two games. 

2009 still haunts me as a fan because I am about history and perfection, we just gave it away. I wish I would have had control over that because I would have kept everyone in and tried for 16-0, then 19-0. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

highlights are just highlights...

so are lowlights...

Best to look at stats and schedule from his entire career. 

If you want lowlights... 4 INT game vs TCU

And Peyton threw 6 picks vs the chargers. Give the kid a chance. Can't hurt.

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And Peyton threw 6 picks vs the chargers. Give the kid a chance. Can't hurt.

I love Sam. And will cheer for him this week. 

But I'm realistic.

Freshman highlights mean zero. And TCU lowlights mean zero. That's my point.

It's a new start Sunday. That is what matters. 

Bruh the man was just trying do a small demonstration on it factor and his ability to create from nothing. Everybody here knows a single film clip doesnt mean hes good. I happen to like the little fella. Its not going to surprise me if he does well. I love his ability to create on the run, he knows what hes doing with the football, hes accurate, hes been a football junkie since he was a baby, he takes the game seriously, hes actually got talent, he can rally his team mates and theres other qualities i see. We are on our 8th QB and i have never in my life in any of these other seasons saw any staff or Jim Irsay himself rush a 3rd string 6th rounder into action. People were intrigued about Chad Kelly but the Colts never really even gave him the time of day. Ellingher on the other hand even has the belief of the Owner who basically stood on the table and told his staff to bench Matt Ryan and let him play. And previous to that we kicked a former first round, first pick of the draft QB up out of here but still kept Sam on the team. And previous to that they drafted the kid from Washington and Sam ran him up out of here. I was dissing him when we first got him but now that i allowed myself to analyze Sams game more and watch closer its not going to shock me if the dude succeeds. It could end up not working of course, but i dont blame them for rolling the dice on this one. If it fails then we will be in great position to get a QB high in the draft.

10 hours ago, BrazilColts said:

He was a freshman and led this 91 yard drive against USC. First time inserted because the starter got hurt. The score was 14 - 10 with only 5 minutes left. Vinny Young was going crazy watching this comeback. Remember that Ballard said, he has the "it" factor.  I say give the kid a chance.  He is a sixth rounder.... 

Is this meant to make us feel better about him? I get that he was a freshman.... but i saw a lot of sailed passes in that "highlight" drive.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In 2009 everyone knows we go 16-0 if Peyton stays in, yeah we lost to the Saints but if we were 18-0 going into that game, the outcome may have been different. That would have been one thing we could have had over the Patriots and Steelers and Polian just flushed it down the toilet and Irsay let it happen toilet GIF

They'd have beaten the Saints in the Super Bowl if Freeney didn't get hurt against the Jets in the AFCCG. 

He was destroying the Saints in that first half then his ankle locked up at halftime.

22 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Maybe, just maybe, the scout team, with Sam running it, was giving the Colts starting defense all they could handle every week in practice. I have no clue, but wouldn't that make sense as to why FR & CB moved him up to #2, and now #1? 

I think this is very likely. I think There’s 2 reasons why he’s our starter.

1. He showed some nice promise in practice. Making things happen.

2. Our front office realizes we need somebody who can avoid some

pressure so Ehlinger fits that bill. 

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

Maybe, just maybe, the scout team, with Sam running it, was giving the Colts starting defense all they could handle every week in practice. I have no clue, but wouldn't that make sense as to why FR & CB moved him up to #2, and now #1? 

I think this is more Irsay influenced. Word in the media is Irsay loves Sam and he understands the days of pocket passers especially when you can't block for them, is a dying breed.

I will give him at least 2 games before I judge, I say 2 because in reality we should beat Washington at home and win at NE if Sam is any good. Those teams stink and don't have good QB's either. If Sam plays good in those 2 and gets us up to 5-3-1, then I will feel much better. I want to see how the Line blocks for him and how hard the team plays for him period. This will either rejuvenate the team or Sam just won't be any good and we will stink. At least Matt left us in a decent situation at 3-3-1 because nobody is running away with the Wildcard spots.

12 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

Oy vey.

You make it sound like our few "best" players have some destiny to be playing late in the Playoffs. Silliness.
 Most teams have similar numbers of high quality players.
  Even with a top ten QB there has to be a much larger group of good players that are well coached to Expect that team to be a strong playoff contender.
 We came into the season with Many young players that needed to get better and learn how to think as a unit.

Finishing .500 was a reasonable expectation. It is just another Season in a journey. 

I wish Sam luck in his 1st start.  Just like every QB that has started since Bert Jones.  We have had the benefit of having some fantastic QBs along with some not so good.  

Sam has a tough job ahead of him but he has a swagger about him I like.  Hopefully he can spark our team to succeed. 

He's got the next 10 games including this weekend to audition and prove that the position is his. Seems like a great kid, and is sharp. He knows that it's extremely rare for a 6th round pick to have this opportunity. Evaluation-wise, we can't look directly at the wins and losses now. It's what he does on the field that will count and how he handles himself. There have been plenty of times where a franchise QB's early beginnings were a mess records wise. Put, even in those losses coaches would see great potential. The great ones fail forwards. They fail into progress, learn from mistakes and improve each week. 

I'm not going to look at this kid with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Roger Staubach or Andrew Luck expectations. There's no way he can live up to that. I'm looking to see if he will fall into some positive categories:

Franchise Starter for Years Level: Russell Wilson (lol, maybe not THIS year's version), Kirk Cousins, Matt Hasselbeck, Joe Theismann, Bart Starr

Will Win You Games and Some Playoffs Level: Andy Dalton, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger

If he gets into either of those categories then man, he did some stuff right and we lucked out BIG time.

35 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He's got the next 10 games including this weekend to audition and prove that the position is his. Seems like a great kid, and is sharp. He knows that it's extremely rare for a 6th round pick to have this opportunity. Evaluation-wise, we can't look directly at the wins and losses now. It's what he does on the field that will count and how he handles himself. There have been plenty of times where a franchise QB's early beginnings were a mess records wise. Put, even in those losses coaches would see great potential. The great ones fail forwards. They fail into progress, learn from mistakes and improve each week. 

I'm not going to look at this kid with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Roger Staubach or Andrew Luck expectations. There's no way he can live up to that. I'm looking to see if he will fall into some positive categories:

Franchise Starter for Years Level: Russell Wilson (lol, maybe not THIS year's version), Kirk Cousins, Matt Hasselbeck, Joe Theismann, Bart Starr

Will Win You Games and Some Playoffs Level: Andy Dalton, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger

If he gets into either of those categories than man, he did some stuff right and we lucked out BIG time.

Im comparing him to early career Russel Wilson who had similar circumstances with the OL. Taylor is Marshawn Lynch. Wr. corps is similar too.

15 hours ago, BrazilColts said:

Ummm...it's Ehlinger

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im comparing him to early career Russel Wilson who had similar circumstances with the OL. Taylor is Marshawn Lynch. Wr. corps is similar too.

Yep, I saw that connection as well. Kinda eerie how similar he is with Russ and the off script throws and such. 

Ballard did say in years' past he wanted to build his team in a similar style to Seattle. I guess we'll see what happens. 

Archived