AKB

POLL: SHOULD CHRIS BALLARD BE FIRED?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD CHRIS BALLARD BE FIRED?

• YES
    • NO
    • GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHANCE WITH A DIFFERENT COACH NEXT YEAR

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Shouldn't matter (sunshine). Media is supposed to be objective. Supposed to ask hard questions. And never carry water. NEVER... Doesn't matter GM's personal. Ballard and Frank had a bunch cheerleaders, instead reporters. 

And all this "open" stuff is surface info. No detail. Mostly GM/coach speak. He simply talked more, and was more polished. Acting like he's giving us "deep" or "inside" stuff, is LOL...

Oh I agree. I’m just saying that’s how it works with Indy media… 

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The way Moore’s playing right now how much could we realistically get? It can’t be much…

Now, if he’s also coursing problems in the lockerroom we’re not getting anything. 

3rd round pick at best. 4th is probably more likely. But I think he may be part of the locker room issues. He needs to go regardless of the compensation. He made that pro bowl and let it go to his head. Demanded more money that they wouldn’t give him and he’s been phoning it in ever since. He doesn’t want to be here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 6:04 PM, Zoltan said:

I will post this here as well: 

I would like Irsay to take the Jeffrey Lurie approach and keep Ballard like Lurie has kept Howie Roseman. Roseman has fired 3 coaches in his tenure with the Eagles including Pederson, and Andy Reid. Lurie knows how hard it is to find a good GM and doesn't blame Roseman for coaching failures.

This team's biggest issues are coaching issues, we don't prepare for games or the season well, and play calling is meh at best. Just looking at Nick Sirianni and how he has adjusted his offense to the players he has, it would of been nice to see him call plays when he was here as the OC because the offense seems to be missing what his strength is.

As for Ballard, one of his problems has been getting what Frank wanted, Frank wanted Rivers he got Rivers, Frank wanted Wentz he got Wentz.

-This years draft class has played very well since there has not been a 1st rounder. Pierce (2nd), Woods (3rd), Cross (3rd), even Rodney Thomas had a good game as a 7th.

-Last years: Paye, Dayo, are getting better every game. Sam Ehlinger is showing he could be a good backup as a 6th rounder, Strachan has made some good catches as a 6th pick.

-2020: Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Rodgers as a 6th should be getting more playing time, Pinter a good backup but shouldn't be a starter in the 5th

-His worst draft has been 2019 for sure though and most are on other teams or Willis Retired but even then EJ speed in the 6th has shown up this year, and Okereke has been good as a 3rd rounder.

He has a a great hit rate in the middle to late rounds, which is not normal. I trust him to find the right rookie QB for this team, and the right coach for this team. Reich was a late hire after McDaniels backed out the last minute, and he looked good at first but he hasn't been able to adapt, which has allowed our divisional rivals to learn how to beat us. The best coaches adapt well and you can see it with the top teams.

Todd Vasvari and Matt Terpening are more the reason for our success in drafting and that is why both have been interviewed by multiple teams!! 

The fact is you are giving WAY more credit to Ballard than he deserves at this point.  He is noted for saying you don't win a championship from free agency... see 2020 Tampa Bay Buccaneers...see 2021 Los Angeles Rams... ask their fans and front office if they feel the same way! 

Ballard has held the colts salary cap, hostage; for far too long.  Anyone who pays attention to the things Ballard says can see it clear as day!  He will NOT spend... period.  And this is hurting the colts more than helping. 

Ballard not Reich chose to go with Matt Ryan.   Ballard not Reich stated to the public "we have our LT in pryor!" (mega fail)

Ballard not Reich stated how much he loved our WR corp....which was clearly proven to be disastrous when Pittman and Pierce were out and our depth showed it's ugly face,   Reich is responsible for bad play calling.  That can't be denied.  There is no creativity in Indy...and in this league NOW...there needs to be.  Both should be gone...but I will never NOT recognize the fact that Reich has still managed a couple playoff appearances and winning records NEARLY every year with a different QB every season!  People who don't see that as a feat are sorely mistaken in their judgement of him!   He could be better...but what can you expect with a different QB under center 5 straight years?

• 3 weeks later...

bringing this thread back to the top since my other poll got merged. 

definitely think Ballard has failed in multiple areas.

Oline

QB

TE

(Corner is almost on this list, but with the Gilmore signing it covered it up a litttle. if we didn't have Gilmore, this secondary would be far worse) --> still will need to draft another corner. 

12 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

bringing this thread back to the top since my other poll got merged. 

definitely think Ballard has failed in multiple areas.

Oline

QB

TE

(Corner is almost on this list, but with the Gilmore signing it covered it up a litttle. if we didn't have Gilmore, this secondary would be far worse) --> still will need to draft another corner. 

QB and LT primarily. You fix those 2, the rest can be overcome, IMO. 

Tired of delayed gratification. Been 5 years, QB is a problem, LT is a problem, kicker is a problem. Oline in general is a huge problem and they are the highest paid in the league. Who handed out those contracts. Ballard. Wide out MIGHT be figured out, but it took 5 years, then he blames the medias pressure about WR for the Olines shortcomings.

Top 3 linebacker contract in a league that doesn't value linebackers very high anymore. Now it looks like Shaq has the injury bug and retirement is not unrealistic. 

He is a great talent evaluator but not good at building a roster. The NFL in 2022 values QB, LT, WR, and pass rush. We seriously lack in all of those positions.

The worst thing about this is barring a miracle we will not be making the playoffs, and we will not lose enough games to draft high enough for a QB. Ballards conservative nature surely will sway him from selling he future for a high draft pick.

He has admitted to not wanting to sell capital for a young unproven QB. Sadly the NFL we live in you need a QB and thats how you do it. You take that chance till you get one. Im afraid next year will be another year with huge question marks at the most important position and likely another MEDIOCRE record. Cause thats all we will ever be with Ballard steering this roster.

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Tired of delayed gratification. Been 5 years, QB is a problem, LT is a problem, kicker is a problem. Oline in general is a huge problem and they are the highest paid in the league. Who handed out those contracts. Ballard. Wide out MIGHT be figured out, but it took 5 years, then he blames the medias pressure about WR for the Olines shortcomings.

Top 3 linebacker contract in a league that doesn't value linebackers very high anymore. Now it looks like Shaq has the injury bug and retirement is not unrealistic. 

He is a great talent evaluator but not good at building a roster. The NFL in 2022 values QB, LT, WR, and pass rush. We seriously lack in all of those positions.

The worst thing about this is barring a miracle we will not be making the playoffs, and we will not lose enough games to draft high enough for a QB. Ballards conservative nature surely will sway him from selling he future for a high draft pick.

He has admitted to not wanting to sell capital for a young unproven QB. Sadly the NFL we live in you need a QB and thats how you do it. You take that chance till you get one. Im afraid next year will be another year with huge question marks at the most important position and likely another MEDIOCRE record. Cause thats all we will ever be with Ballard steering this roster.

sad to say but I agree

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, lilolemoi said:

Everyone seems to have trained their fire on Ryan last week. I even see comments that the O line has improved and Raimann should continue at LT or somewhere in the starting lineup. Bumping this for tomorrow’s game.

Raimann should continue at LT. That is a position that normally takes 2-3 years to develop.  Very few rookies come into the league and shine. 

N O spells NO NO NO NO NO.

He has slowly assembled a great roster.

The team has hit a "speed bump" - I'll admit - and - I'm as disappointed in this years team as the next fan.

BUT - I believe in Chris Ballard and his ability to "right the ship" for 2023.

God bless he and Jim Irsay as they consider head coaching candidates for 2023 and beyond.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Raimann should continue at LT. That is a position that normally takes 2-3 years to develop.  Very few rookies come into the league and shine. 

I haven’t seen too many shining moments. Last game he showed improvement, but he was a late round pick for a reason. Not saying he should be cut, but he shouldn’t be starting in the most important position in football.

17 minutes ago, lilolemoi said:

I haven’t seen too many shining moments. Last game he showed improvement, but he was a late round pick for a reason. Not saying he should be cut, but he shouldn’t be starting in the most important position in football.

A player doesn't develop not being on the field. Raimann's biggest problems were the penalties, not giving up pressure or sacks. He has the talent and is going to improve with every game he plays in.  

as a whole i dont think the roster is that bad i just think the QB position is so bad it makes the roster look worse .   ballard' s biggest mistake was not finding a left tackle and going into the season with pryor and pinter as starters .   i cant blame ballard for nelson smith and kelly for playing bad because how would he guess that .     even looking at the best teams in the nfl they have multiple weak points but their franchise QB covers up the holes .     the defense is top ten i like the wr core just think its young and i see some good things in woods and granson at tight end .     i honestly think getting a franchise QB in the draft and plugging the left tackle and right guard would turn this team into a good team .    3 big holes that can be filled next year if all goes well

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

as a whole i dont think the roster is that bad i just think the QB position is so bad it makes the roster look worse .   ballard' s biggest mistake was not finding a left tackle and going into the season with pryor and pinter as starters .   i cant blame ballard for nelson smith and kelly for playing bad because how would he guess that .     even looking at the best teams in the nfl they have multiple weak points but their franchise QB covers up the holes .     the defense is top ten i like the wr core just think its young and i see some good things in woods and granson at tight end .     i honestly think getting a franchise QB in the draft and plugging the left tackle and right guard would turn this team into a good team .    3 big holes that can be filled next year if all goes well

I couldn’t agree more.  I will be watching Raimann closely tonight hoping he builds on last week’s great game.  If so we might have found our guy.  That would be Kudos to Ballard on that one.  I don’t know why but I think Jimmy G could be a target for the Colts next year and if signed then drafting a quarterback after trading back in the 1st rd.  Jimmy G is only 31.  

On 12/3/2022 at 6:37 PM, crazycolt1 said:

A player doesn't develop not being on the field. Raimann's biggest problems were the penalties, not giving up pressure or sacks. He has the talent and is going to improve with every game he plays in.  

Then don't blame the QB for getting sacked so much.

Not even after tonight's game do I think Ballard needs to be fired. Based on last year's games I thought the same about Pryor.  

I'm afraid to blow up this defense. We'll be bringing in a new coach, and hopefully the defense and st staffs stay. 

Strausser should've been gone last year. Need to fix OL before we bring in a new QB or his career will be destroyed before it begins. LT should be our priority and draft a QB late.  Coastal Carolina QB looks good to take a chance on. 2024 draft we should get our future QB. 

2 hours ago, Matabix said:

Not even after tonight's game do I think Ballard needs to be fired. Based on last year's games I thought the same about Pryor.  

I'm afraid to blow up this defense. We'll be bringing in a new coach, and hopefully the defense and st staffs stay. 

Strausser should've been gone last year. Need to fix OL before we bring in a new QB or his career will be destroyed before it begins. LT should be our priority and draft a QB late.  Coastal Carolina QB looks good to take a chance on. 2024 draft we should get our future QB. 

It is very sad, but there may be a grain of truth in this posting. We need to have a knowledgeable, independent third party talk to all the coaches and players and find out where the team's thoughts are. Don't just go off, firing people right and left, and killing the survivors.

On 10/2/2022 at 6:15 PM, chad72 said:

New OC, new HC, new OL coach, new RB coach (miss Rathman), I’m certain we will see improvement with the same roster.

Draft the QB to sit behind Ryan anyways, might as well see through the 2 year plan with Ryan.

I like this. Give Ballard one year to fix things. We need an offensive overhaul. All new coaches on that side, I think trading Nelson and Leonard would get us some assets and depth and free up cap space. Bring in Cooper Rush and draft a QB...

17 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I like this. Give Ballard one year to fix things. We need an offensive overhaul. All new coaches on that side, I think trading Nelson and Leonard would get us some assets and depth and free up cap space. Bring in Cooper Rush and draft a QB...

After seeing Ryan lately, scratch the "see year 2 of Ryan through" part :) 

Draft a QB, is the way to go.

This GM scares me when he thought Pryor could play left tackle (the most important position on the line) when you trade for a statue QB with a noodle arm. Then he also thought that Pinter could start at RG. Two big whiffs that killed our chances at winning football. Also agreeing to trade for Wentz and Ryan were both terrible moves. Also he said we are happy with our wide receiver room when they are below average and can't beat man to man coverage. These 3 things killed any chance we had at winning so thus in my opinion I do not want him to pick our next QB.

After extending both Reich and then Ballard before the season started and then firing Reich and losing all of that money I don't see him doing it again with Ballard.  Ballard pretty much hit in in the draft this year with Pierce and Raiman developing nicely along with Cross coming along and a few others contributing.  Gilmore and McCloud were solid FA additions.  Yannick was a trade and he leads the team in sacks.  Losing our outstanding punter to an injury hurt.  I expect him to be here next year and get his 1st choice at coach and quarterback. 

Grigson makes me scared to want to fire Ballard .   I worry it could be worse not better . At least Ballard every year drafted starters and good players . I think 2017 and 2019 were Ballards weakest years in the draft . Even those drafts we got solid players Grover Stuart is a pro bowl level guy . Mack was very good Bobby is very good linebacker and Paris when healthy is good . 

just remember grigson was here 6 years and only drafted ty Hilton and Kelly that were good . Luck doesn’t count because it’s a no brained pick .  All the other wrs were complete busts and tight ends pass rushers . The team was horrible . 

I fear firing Ballard will lead to no top candidates wanting to come here . With it seeming like Jim is meddling and we have no Qb . 

I would like to give Ballard at least one more year to pick a new coach and take a swing on a Qb if we see no improvements I am on board the next year with firing him .

Cut Ryan, Foles and Kelly. Keep Ehlinger as back up. If he improves in year 2 to 3 as he did last year to this year he's serviceable, and can run for his life and be effective.  Would ask Gilmore and Buckner if they want traded, cause in a sense we are rebuilding the offense. Need new blood looking at rookies to be scouted. We got all the big tall TEs and WRs, but they don't get separation.  May need to rethink how we draft that position. 

I've said in previous years.  If Ballard was GM during Polians years, players like Sanders, Freeney, Mathis and Wayne would've never got picked up by the Colts. 

Archived