Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O Line Film Room Lawrence Owen

krunk

Matt Ryan has got to get kill the first play, when he's up against stacked boxes. He's smarter than that. 

The more I watch Pinter, the worse he gets. Yeesh

Reich needs to figure out how to disguise run plays. We can call them from our couch. 

Also, his incessant need to call runs up the middle over and over is nauseating. Doesn't work 6x in a row, let's call it again instead of try running off tackle. 

Nelson not playing up to his contract this season.  Then again, none of them are.  At first I thought it was Nelson trying to help Pryor but all of them are making dumb mistakes.  I thought I recalled one instance in the KC game where either Nelson or Kelly just let a defender run unopposed right through the line to squash Ryan… how does that even happen???

we need a new line coach.

After watching the game and this video and Reich says "just some things we need to clean up". They are not going to clean all these problems up (coaching, execution, individual weaknesses)  in practice this week, based on the lack of improvement rate in last 3 games. I hope they can prioritize what can be done the fastest with the most impact.

Our highly touted and highly paid offensive line is our Achilles heal at this time.  Matt Ryan although having problems himself has shown that if he has time to pass, he can hit the open receiver.   We are also having problems picking up the blitz, it should be flipped to a good blitz pick-up then making the defense pay by hitting the receiver in the vacated open area due to the blitz.

RT - Braden Smith, highly paid and not playing up to his excellent play his first 2 years which does show he is capable of good play.

RG - Danny Pinter, has been inconsistent as the starter, looked bad on the bull rush that go through

OC - Ryan Kelly, similar to RT Smith, but inconsistency started last year, after 5 solid years, should be a leader of the OL.

Missed on that blitz up the middle but maybe was focusing on helping Pinter or something else.

LG - Quenton Nelson, playing OK but would like to up his play a little more like his first few years.  I remember I would watch him 

specifically to see how he dominates and/or pancake somebody, never had that enthusiasm for a offensive lineman 

before.  That feeling seemed to have faded a little.  He and Kelly should be OL leaders and dominate.

RT - Matt Pryor, has been a liability in pass blocking, need to focus and plan help from the TE and/or RB before being released on 

their pass route.

Plan for blitzes by Tennessee to pick it up and the counter option to make'm pay.

If our offensive line can get it together and play up as a solid group we can have a efficient offense, because one mistake by just 1 of the 5 offensive lineman can negatively impact the play.  Again Matt Ryan looked pretty good when given time.  Regardless, Ryan knows if should hold on the ball and not fumble when sacked.  Also, our rookie WR Pierce and TE Woods should get better every game.  Also, if given time, Ryan may be able throw a deep ball.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All it would take is 1 huge run by Taylor or Matt throwing a long TD, teams would stop that blitzing stuff. Taylor actually played average on Sunday for his standards, not bad but not good. Campbell is like a invisible man, hell if Campbell is going to keep playing this, I would bench him because he is doing nothing.

It‘s hard for Taylor to do much when the whole stadium knows he is running out of the Shotgun up the middle every 2nd down play call. 

it’s like Reich knows they know & his sole goal is to get 2-3 yards to set up a 3rd & medium every time (which isn’t smart given the Colts’ 3rd down conversion rate)

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All it would take is 1 huge run by Taylor or Matt throwing a long TD, teams would stop that blitzing stuff. Taylor actually played average on Sunday for his standards, not bad but not good. Campbell is like a invisible man, hell if Campbell is going to keep playing this, I would bench him because he is doing nothing.

Yeah, if I recall, we didn’t ATTEMPT one pass longer than 25 yards. It allows defenses to press us without fear of being beat deep.

We need to sign Fuller or Odell to give them a few weeks. We’ll need a legit threat to get anywhere this season 

7 hours ago, Catloaf said:

Nelson not playing up to his contract this season.  Then again, none of them are.  At first I thought it was Nelson trying to help Pryor but all of them are making dumb mistakes.  I thought I recalled one instance in the KC game where either Nelson or Kelly just let a defender run unopposed right through the line to squash Ryan… how does that even happen???

It happens because they're out there for 60-65 snaps a game on average. There are going to be some blunders and botched assignments.

The line obviously isn't where it has been for the last few seasons and their play needs to improve if this team is going to be successful, but let's not go the complete opposite direction and expect them to be absolutely perfect.

7 hours ago, Catloaf said:

It was Kelly who immediately went right to help Pinter block his man leave the middle wide open.

After watching the video I am inclined to believe a lot of the OL issues can be cleaned up with more practice and coaching.  Not to mention real game day action.  Let’s face it three of the starting five are veterans in their same position.  Strong veterans at that.  They know their jobs.  The newcomers Pryor and Pinter are basically adapting to new positions.  Recognition and reacting properly would make a big difference.  Coaching reinforcement would help as well on technique.  I’m expecting significant improvement as we play more into the season.  I think we already saw that with Pryor against KC.  I think the more they practice and play together the better they will develop as a unit. That said I still worry about Pinters weight being a detriment on the bull rushes.   He’s the one I’m most concerned about.  But overall I think they just need more time together as a unit.  I think the talent is there.  

Ever since they changed oline coaches the whole line every position has degressed significantly. Is it getting paid, injuries catching up or coaching? Probably a little bit of all 3 factors but no matter how you slice its currently vastly overpaid. Nelson looks like the best of the bunch so far but no where near 20 mil a year sorry.

14 minutes ago, KB said:

I'm not getting all the talk about them firing the o-line coach, then we regressed. Dave DeGuglielmo hasn't coached here since 2018. We've had a dominant o-line up to this year.

Well up to last year.  Again AC’s retirement and Glow leaving in free agency are the issues.  Not the oline coach that was fired in 2018.  People just want that to be an issue so they have another reason to go after Frank.

34 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well up to last year.  Again AC’s retirement and Glow leaving in free agency are the issues.  Not the oline coach that was fired in 2018.  People just want that to be an issue so they have another reason to go after Frank.

Glowinski was getting steamrolled by the cowboys just like Pinter.

Cherry picked, but OK. 

No discussion blocking scheme?

• Play1
    • D knew exactly what was coming... 
    • don't run vs load boxes... 8 on DL, and S shallow
    • why no power/man blocking... instead zone block + pullx2... sorry, just stop cute/finesse. go power run blocking.
    • Kelly got handled, pushed back. Kept from TE (2nd puller) going over. 
    • Pryor and Nelson fine. Nelson great, but pushed like Kelly. 
    • Overall, bad call. Bad block scheme. Bad Ryan Kelly... .
    • Owens talking scheme and coaching... and don't expect "push" if not in power/man blocking
  • Play2
    • D knew exactly what was coming
    • 7 tight in box, shallow S.
    • Middle was a D party. Slow play... 
    • JT should have gone left LG/LT, or over LT, not C/RG hole. Pryor doing well. 
    • Sure Mo shouldn't go low, but no any hole anyway, and 23 was going to clean up regardless and unaccounted for. And safety accounted in center position too...  Mo likely isn't to meant to create a LG/C hole... lol... 
    • Too much cute again, and too slow.. 
  • Play3
    • bad left placement by Pryor. Great wide bend by Allen
    • still likely 2.5+, still bad by Pryor
  • Play4
    • Owen... nah... Nelson is committed, and so is Ryan It's neither's fault. (from a pure blocking perspective).
    • Great stunt call vs protection call. That's D coach call > whoever called OL protection (Ryan Kelly?)...
  • Play5
    • Another good stunt call
    • But Raimann got beat twice in the same play... Had he got into the first guy, Nelson could have dropped to take the stunt. But Raimann lost first one, and then Nelson had to help. Then didn't peal off to take stunt. 
    • Likely a call specifically vs rook Raimann. 
    • Matt could have rolled right though. In game 1, when Raimann was in, Matt rolled right every time. 
  • Play6
    • Yes, Pinter did his job. But his initial guy went Kelly's middle/ other-side quickly, regardless. He didn't need to help. Very different than other stunts. 

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Please don't introduce common sense when we want to find ways to bash Leadership. 

If you recall the oline play over the years, the most consistent variable was the absence of AC.  Even in 2018 and 2019 when the oline was very good, when he missed a few plays, the oline took a step backwards by quite a margin.  No.......Quenton Nelson did not make LeRaven Clark perform better.

Coaching differences have little to do with much in the NFL, IMO.  Coaches roll off one team then roll on to another team in the NFL.  They get fired when the talent drops off, then they go somewhere else and their style and scheme succeeds when the talent is better.  Go figure. 

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed.  The players aren't good enough.  There are some breakdowns going on though with Blitz pickup.  It's often the back's responsibility.

Some of the problems have been Ryan not anticipating the rush.  First job a QB has when they walk to the LOS is ensuring he has enough blockers for the rushers, and being prepared mentally for a corner or LB blitz.  Also as an extension of this both the QB and the WRs seemed to not be ready with the hot when it was deemed a blitz.  First successful hot read/throw was made late in the game iirc.  So there are a lot of issues that made it hard on the boys up front that will almost certainly be fixed by the QB and weapons as the season goes on.

Some of the other problems have been line calls.  Early in the season you see it a lot with certain teams, where they need to catch up to the scheme adjustments DCs have made to attack their line.  And in the NFL if you don't solve the problem you'll see it over and over again until you do.  Much of an OL's efficiency comes down to teamwork.  They're a unit that can be greater than the sum of the individual parts when all five are on the same page.  And looking at the individual talent, it's there, so there is no reason to think they won't improve.

And then some of it is individual ability.  Pinter is the weak link and looks overwhelmed.  He might not be good enough.  Generally a weaker blocker on a 5 man OL can be helped by the players next to him when all five are playing together, but if one of those players isn't good enough that can single handedly ruin things.  Because you slide things with him in mind and use RBs and TEs to help too and that puts limits on what you can do.

Just looking at the overall group I'd say they're going to be fine.  Should be one of the better lines in the league too.  As they start to play together as one unit we'll start seeing what they can do.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Please don't introduce common sense when we want to find ways to bash Leadership. 

If you recall the oline play over the years, the most consistent variable was the absence of AC.  Even in 2018 and 2019 when the oline was very good, when he missed a few plays, the oline took a step backwards by quite a margin.  No.......Quenton Nelson did not make LeRaven Clark perform better.

Coaching differences have little to do with much in the NFL, IMO.  Coaches roll off one team then roll on to another team in the NFL.  They get fired when the talent drops off, then they go somewhere else and their style and scheme succeeds when the talent is better.  Go figure. 

Bing.  Another winner Dougie. 

6 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Some of the problems have been Ryan not anticipating the rush.  First job a QB has when they walk to the LOS is ensuring he has enough blockers for the rushers, and being prepared mentally for a corner or LB blitz.  Also as an extension of this both the QB and the WRs seemed to not be ready with the hot when it was deemed a blitz.  First successful hot read/throw was made late in the game iirc.  So there are a lot of issues that made it hard on the boys up front that will almost certainly be fixed by the QB and weapons as the season goes on.

Ryan is playing very slowly.  Processing and release.  He is not a quick processing, quick release guy.  He played in downfield passing attack for 15 years before coming here.  Not sure he's going to make the adjustment all that effectively. This is something I mentioned when we got the dude.  He is not necessarily a good fit for a Reich type O.  More of an Arians type dude. 

Some of the other problems have been line calls.  Early in the season you see it a lot with certain teams, where they need to catch up to the scheme adjustments DCs have made to attack their line.  And in the NFL if you don't solve the problem you'll see it over and over again until you do.  Much of an OL's efficiency comes down to teamwork.  They're a unit that can be greater than the sum of the individual parts when all five are on the same page.  And looking at the individual talent, it's there, so there is no reason to think they won't improve.

Seems to be a problem, can't understand why.   Backs seem to be missing assignments sometimes too. 

And then some of it is individual ability.  Pinter is the weak link and looks overwhelmed.  He might not be good enough.  Generally a weaker blocker on a 5 man OL can be helped by the players next to him when all five are playing together, but if one of those players isn't good enough that can single handedly ruin things.  Because you slide things with him in mind and use RBs and TEs to help too and that puts limits on what you can do.

Pinter doesn't look good enough to me.  He got dumped and stepped over a couple times v. KC.  You don't see that often in the league. 

Kelly is average at best.  Smith is playing poor football right now, and Nelson isn't dominant.  The LT is OK v the bigger guys but gets used v. the speed guys.

Our talent just isn't as good as it was or people think it should be with all the money.  Not sure we will get much better.  The line's worst games were the last two last year.   Hoping it was covid effect.  Doesn't appear to be.   

Just looking at the overall group I'd say they're going to be fine.  Should be one of the better lines in the league too.  As they start to play together as one unit we'll start seeing what they can do.

If fine is average, I think maybe they can reach that level.  But the amount of money spent on an line aspiring to be average is crippling for the club. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Ryan is playing very slowly.  Processing and release.  He is not a quick processing, quick release guy.  He played in downfield passing attack for 15 years before coming here.  Not sure he's going to make the adjustment all that effectively. This is something I mentioned when we got the dude.  He is not necessarily a good fit for a Reich type O.  More of an Arians type dude. 

Ryan has always been a good processor of the game.  Depending on his OC that was up and down over his career, but in general that has never been his problem.  His problem is that when his timing is disrupted, i.e. when the defense makes him move off his spot, his accuracy and decision making crash.  And it has gotten worse with age, as is typical.

I mentioned this after we traded for him, and on multiple occasions since.  But in terms of him fitting this offense I think he is fine.  I think we can win with him.

Basically in the NFL there are two types of QBs.  Those who can beat you without play action and those who cannot.  Most QBs fall into the latter category.  Ryan falls into the latter category too, outside of his time under Shanahan when he won his MVP.  And even then he couldn't win the big game.  But with the Colts he has as good a run game as you could hope for.  So this is all about getting him fully integrated in the offense and being on the same page with the other players which takes time.

Also and btw I hate to keep mentioning this but he's short on weapons, which very much affects a QB's ability to read and make quick decisions.  When he has Pierce and Pittman he's got enough, but it's still not like some of these other QBs with more options.  And generally the QBs who have a depth of options do well, which means they end up showing in the playoffs, kind of like how you have with defenses/rushers.  So if either of his top two miss significant time he's going to struggle and that plus his age won't be a good mix.  This is why I keep saying they didn't exactly set him up for success.

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

If fine is average, I think maybe they can reach that level.  But the amount of money spent on an line aspiring to be average is crippling for the club. 

I expect them to finish somewhere around 8th-10th in overall efficiency.  They are better than most starting 5 and will round into shape.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, Caffrey said:

Our highly touted and highly paid offensive line is our Achilles heal at this time.  Matt Ryan although having problems himself has shown that if he has time to pass, he can hit the open receiver.   We are also having problems picking up the blitz, it should be flipped to a good blitz pick-up then making the defense pay by hitting the receiver in the vacated open area due to the blitz.

RT - Braden Smith, highly paid and not playing up to his excellent play his first 2 years which does show he is capable of good play.

RG - Danny Pinter, has been inconsistent as the starter, looked bad on the bull rush that go through

OC - Ryan Kelly, similar to RT Smith, but inconsistency started last year, after 5 solid years, should be a leader of the OL.

Missed on that blitz up the middle but maybe was focusing on helping Pinter or something else.

LG - Quenton Nelson, playing OK but would like to up his play a little more like his first few years.  I remember I would watch him 

specifically to see how he dominates and/or pancake somebody, never had that enthusiasm for a offensive lineman 

before.  That feeling seemed to have faded a little.  He and Kelly should be OL leaders and dominate.

RT - Matt Pryor, has been a liability in pass blocking, need to focus and plan help from the TE and/or RB before being released on 

their pass route.

Plan for blitzes by Tennessee to pick it up and the counter option to make'm pay.

If our offensive line can get it together and play up as a solid group we can have a efficient offense, because one mistake by just 1 of the 5 offensive lineman can negatively impact the play.  Again Matt Ryan looked pretty good when given time.  Regardless, Ryan knows if should hold on the ball and not fumble when sacked.  Also, our rookie WR Pierce and TE Woods should get better every game.  Also, if given time, Ryan may be able throw a deep ball.

This is one of the problems when you invest a lot of money in your guard a center and a right tackle you can only have so much money in the offense line the problem is it had to be cheap on left tackle and right guard. entertained for having so much money 

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Cherry picked, but OK. 

No discussion blocking scheme?

• Play1
    • D knew exactly what was coming... 
    • don't run vs load boxes... 8 on DL, and S shallow
    • why no power/man blocking... instead zone block + pullx2... sorry, just stop cute/finesse. go power run blocking.
    • Kelly got handled, pushed back. Kept from TE (2nd puller) going over. 
    • Pryor and Nelson fine. Nelson great, but pushed like Kelly. 
    • Overall, bad call. Bad block scheme. Bad Ryan Kelly... .
    • Owens talking scheme and coaching... and don't expect "push" if not in power/man blocking
  • Play2
    • D knew exactly what was coming
    • 7 tight in box, shallow S.
    • Middle was a D party. Slow play... 
    • JT should have gone left LG/LT, or over LT, not C/RG hole. Pryor doing well. 
    • Sure Mo shouldn't go low, but no any hole anyway, and 23 was going to clean up regardless and unaccounted for. And safety accounted in center position too...  Mo likely isn't to meant to create a LG/C hole... lol... 
    • Too much cute again, and too slow.. 
  • Play3
    • bad left placement by Pryor. Great wide bend by Allen
    • still likely 2.5+, still bad by Pryor
  • Play4
    • Owen... nah... Nelson is committed, and so is Ryan It's neither's fault. (from a pure blocking perspective).
    • Great stunt call vs protection call. That's D coach call > whoever called OL protection (Ryan Kelly?)...
  • Play5
    • Another good stunt call
    • But Raimann got beat twice in the same play... Had he got into the first guy, Nelson could have dropped to take the stunt. But Raimann lost first one, and then Nelson had to help. Then didn't peal off to take stunt. 
    • Likely a call specifically vs rook Raimann. 
    • Matt could have rolled right though. In game 1, when Raimann was in, Matt rolled right every time. 
  • Play6
    • Yes, Pinter did his job. But his initial guy went Kelly's middle/ other-side quickly, regardless. He didn't need to help. Very different than other stunts. 

Cherry picker!!!! lol

I like it though. lol

On 9/27/2022 at 9:40 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Playing like what. He needs targets to get going. That’s not his fault. There has been plenty of all 22 analysis showing him getting open it being a decoy. 

On 9/27/2022 at 9:40 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

OL run blocking and pass protecting maybe?? JMO

6 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

In bold is got a lot to do with this team. Do your JOB guys and it is everyone..... If we could get a little bit of consistency on both sides of the ball. We our a decent team.

As of now you don't know what team is showing up and that's the problem and been the problem for too long...

We haven't had a game where offense is splurging points and the defense is shutting down TDs.

Yes defense played solid against Chiefs but if it weren't for a unsportsmanlike penalty. Colts didn't win game cause they were ahead. I hope Colts can snap back too at least like last year and have a run blocking game.

Right now there's sore eyes for passing and watering eyes for running.

1 hour ago, Maniac53 said:

Cherry picker!!!! lol

I like it though. lol

Not really a "study" lol...

I'm guessing he isn't good on schemes stuff (zone, vs power man). 

I'm not a expert, but some things are pretty obvious. 

A nice "study" would be looking mid 2018 OL, vs 2021 and 2022 OL... in terms of scheme and performance. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not really a "study" lol...

I'm guessing he isn't good on schemes stuff (zone, vs power man). 

I'm not a expert, but some things are pretty obvious. 

A nice "study" would be looking mid 2018 OL, vs 2021 and 2022 OL... in terms of scheme and performance. 

Just messing with you like always. lol

Be cool... haha

5 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

Yes defense played solid against Chiefs but if it weren't for a unsportsmanlike penalty. Colts didn't win game cause they were ahead. I hope Colts can snap back too at least like last year and have a run blocking game.

The Chiefs are probably a better team right now.  They have a better QB.  Their roster is probably better overall too.  Better coach.  Probably a better staff.  If you replayed that game 10 times we'd probably win less than half.

I think the way to look at it is the Colts stole a win there.  So that means if you are looking at the game and feeling unhappy with it, no need.  Things aligned and the Colts did enough to get a badly needed W.  Get drunk, order up some hookers and blow, or door dash if you swing that way and carefully sip a cold one.

Finally got a chance to watch this.

It seems to me that Nelson doesn't have a whole lot of faith in whomever is to his left.  Either that, or he's been told to babysit the guy to his left.  So instead of doing 100% his job, he's doing about 80% his job, and 20% the other guy's job.  I think that may be the reason why the stunts work.  Nelson cannot be dragged off to his right, because he's so focused on babysitting the guy to his left.  At least, that's what I'm seeing.  (And I am in NO WAY an expert at doing film.  I could be wrong.)

If I were the OL coach, I would tell Nelson to do his job and only his job.  If the LT fails, then he fails.  We cannot have the strength of our OL become it's weakness because he's trying to do too much.

41 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Finally got a chance to watch this.

It seems to me that Nelson doesn't have a whole lot of faith in whomever is to his left.  Either that, or he's been told to babysit the guy to his left.  So instead of doing 100% his job, he's doing about 80% his job, and 20% the other guy's job.  I think that may be the reason why the stunts work.  Nelson cannot be dragged off to his right, because he's so focused on babysitting the guy to his left.  At least, that's what I'm seeing.  (And I am in NO WAY an expert at doing film.  I could be wrong.)

If I were the OL coach, I would tell Nelson to do his job and only his job.  If the LT fails, then he fails.  We cannot have the strength of our OL become it's weakness because he's trying to do too much.

Right, this is why it cracks me up when Doug constantly acts like Nelson should make his LT better. How is he supposed to do that exactly? He has to worry about his assignment on a play, and he does that very well. The LT has to.execute his blocks. If Pryor or Raimann cant do that, then we are in trouble and Nelson cant save them. 

The OL is hard to gauge because the majority of the issues come down to cohesion and communication, and there are a lot of moving parts. Ryan has influence here also. 

I think they can figure it out. We will see.

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Right, this is why it cracks me up when Doug constantly acts like Nelson should make his LT better. How is he supposed to do that exactly? He has to worry about his assignment on a play, and he does that very well. The LT has to.execute his blocks. If Pryor or Raimann cant do that, then we are in trouble and Nelson cant save them. 

The OL is hard to gauge because the majority of the issues come down to cohesion and communication, and there are a lot of moving parts. Ryan has influence here also. 

I think they can figure it out. We will see.

The way it works is they slide the protections to the weak player and that has a domino effect in terms of assignment.  Those effects are things like needing to execute a reach block (which is very hard to do in the NFL especially if the DL is elite), or the TE needing to take on a DE by himself.  Some schemes try to use the RB to help.  But the 5 players up front need to be on one page with that call.

For example you might get an ILB threatening the B gap.  If that happens when you're sliding the other way you got probs.  So the Center/QB has to ensure the right protection call is on.  And from there all 5 need to play the protection.  If one guy does the wrong thing it's chaos.

Also the scheme has to be up to snuff.  But I don't think we have too many problems there.  Frank, as an experienced QB, knows protections very well.

Archived