Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O Line Film Room Lawrence Owen

krunk

4 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

The way it works is they slide the protections to the weak player and that has a domino effect in terms of assignment.  Those effects are things like needing to execute a reach block (which is very hard to do in the NFL especially if the DL is elite), or the TE needing to take on a DE by himself.  Some schemes try to use the RB to help.  But the 5 players up front need to be on one page with that call.

For example you might get an ILB threatening the B gap.  If that happens when you're sliding the other way you got probs.  So the Center/QB has to ensure the right protection call is on.  And from there all 5 need to play the protection.  If one guy does the wrong thing it's chaos.

Also the scheme has to be up to snuff.  But I don't think we have too many problems there.  Frank, as an experienced QB, knows protections very well.

Right but you should probably be making those decisions based off the opponent and formation vs trying to use Nelson to compensate for a LT that cant do his job. No matter what, the LT and LG have to execute their assignment, individually.

You do have to be able to hold up on your own at times yes.  Because defenses can dictate single matchups by virtue of how they stack the LOS.  If a defense puts 5+ on the line for example you're on your own for the most part as an OL.

I think situations where the LT isn't up to snuff for a given matchup the most common approach is using the TE to chip or duo the edge.  But if the edge is running a good amount of inside moves it can work to slide the protection to him from the line, with the LG assisting. Thing is usually the LT is your best pass blocker, so the idea is you shouldn't have to worry too much about him unless he's drawing a great edge.  If you're constantly sliding protections and/or assigning a TE or RB to assist him game to game then you need a new LT.

For the record the LT spot I think has been Ballard's greatest failure in his team building.  Moreso than QB.  But we'll see how it goes this year.  It is early and we don't know what the line is going to be until they start playing together as one unit.

54 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

You do have to be able to hold up on your own at times yes.  Because defenses can dictate single matchups by virtue of how they stack the LOS.  If a defense puts 5+ on the line for example you're on your own for the most part as an OL.

I think situations where the LT isn't up to snuff for a given matchup the most common approach is using the TE to chip or duo the edge.  But if the edge is running a good amount of inside moves it can work to slide the protection to him from the line, with the LG assisting. Thing is usually the LT is your best pass blocker, so the idea is you shouldn't have to worry too much about him unless he's drawing a great edge.  If you're constantly sliding protections and/or assigning a TE or RB to assist him game to game then you need a new LT.

For the record the LT spot I think has been Ballard's greatest failure in his team building.  Moreso than QB.  But we'll see how it goes this year.  It is early and we don't know what the line is going to be until they start playing together as one unit.

So..... 

Pryor graded 84 in pass blocking vs the team with #1 in pressure rate.... 

Not saying he's elite.... but he's acceptable. 

If you want to complain, complain on Fisher last year (Ballard). Or complain about Strausser. He's horrible. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So..... 

Pryor graded 84 in pass blocking vs the team with #1 in pressure rate.... 

Not saying he's elite.... but he's acceptable. 

If you want to complain, complain on Fisher last year (Ballard). Or complain about Strausser. He's horrible. 

I was not complaining, rather observing that LT has been a problem for Ballard.  Also I was not discussing Pryor specifically, that was an exchange with another poster irt protections.

Re: Pryor I have been pleasantly surprised.  But I am not a fan of PFF nor am I a fan of reading too much into a small sample size.  Long way to go and as I have mentioned this OL has plenty of talent so I think they're going to do fine.  They might need to change out RG but we'll see.

4 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I was not complaining, rather observing that LT has been a problem for Ballard.  Also I was not discussing Pryor specifically, that was an exchange with another poster irt protections.

Re: Pryor I have been pleasantly surprised.  But I am not a fan of PFF nor am I a fan of reading too much into a small sample size.  Long way to go and as I have mentioned this OL has plenty of talent so I think they're going to do fine.  They might need to change out RG but we'll see.

We only had a LT problem one year. Last year with Fisher. Overall, bad gamble by Ballard. Bringing a guy that was recovering (injury), but was also known for skates. Many hated the addition (before season). Good move picking up Pryor last year. Should have made move earlier (replacing Fisher). 

Pryor so far... 

G1 - did well vs one of the best DEs last season (Greenard)

G2 - meh

G3 - did well vs one of best pressuring Ds in NFL. 

Totally a pleasant surprise. 

Right now....

Replace Pinter, or move to C

Put foot in Smith's bottom.

Try Dennis Kelly or Raimann on right side.  

Fire Strausser. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

We only had a LT problem one year. Last year with Fisher. Overall, bad gamble by Ballard. Bringing a guy that was recovering (injury), but was also known for skates. Many hated the addition (before season). Good move picking up Pryor last year. Should have made move earlier (replacing Fisher). 

Pryor so far... 

G2 - meh

Right now....

Fire Strausser. 

If you like our LT position of late all I can tell you is congrats.  Maybe get a hotel with PFF or something.

4 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

If you like our LT position of late all I can tell you is congrats.  Maybe get a hotel with PFF or something.

Did you film on LT in G1 or G3? Pretty clear. Don't need PFF. 

Seems you're trying to justifying your pre-season hot take, or hate take lol... 

Instead of getting credit when due.

Like I said, Pryor is not elite. But doing a good job so far. Better I thought he would. Outplaying Smith, a guy making a ton more.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Pryor so far... 

G2 - meh

Right now....

Fire Strausser. 

I agree to disagree. 

Colts known Castonzo was contemplating retirement. Yes they were thinking Fisher was maybe the fix.

If he wasn't, a move should have been made to fix the issue. Not saying there's a issue with only 3 games played. But at end of season if it does show issue. Who is to blame??

I'm just asking and not trying to start a argument with you East just a question..

7 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

I agree to disagree. 

Colts known Castonzo was contemplating retirement. Yes they were thinking Fisher was maybe the fix.

If he wasn't, a move should have been made to fix the issue. Not saying there's a issue with only 3 games played. But at end of season if it does show issue. Who is to blame??

I'm just asking and not trying to start a argument with you East just a question..

LT is not an issue so far.

Pryor given a chance. Doing well so far. Too early to tell.

Drafted Raimann. Great value IMO, but needs patience (a year S&C)...,  but too early to tell. 

Added Dennis Kelly, which was a good depth move.

Can't complain. 

Fisher was known for skates. Before injury. 

Fisher should have been replaced before end of season. 

On 9/30/2022 at 7:54 PM, EastStreet said:

Did you film on LT in G1 or G3? Pretty clear. Don't need PFF. 

Seems you're trying to justifying your pre-season hot take, or hate take lol... 

Instead of getting credit when due.

Like I said, Pryor is not elite. But doing a good job so far. Better I thought he would. Outplaying Smith, a guy making a ton more.

You are arguing with yourself.  Or agreeing with my take that Pryor is not elite but so far so good.

But that does not absolve Ballard of the fact that LT has been an issue for him.

Archived