Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SIAP: Isaiah Rodgers

Mr.Debonair

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He played special teams (thanks for snagging the fumbled punt) so he’s not hurt.  Beyond that I don’t know.  I saw somewhere Bradley said something about learning the new players but not sure how you can do that if you give him 0 snaps on defense.

I just hope it’s not another George Odum scenario. Rodgers has shown he has play making skills. If he has little snaps again this Sunday I’ll start to become concerned something is going on behind the scenes. 

33 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Personally, I would prefer Rogers over Hines as punt returner

Agreed....or even Dulin! 

Not only am I scared he's going to fumble (again) every time he's back there, he's the king of not letting the punt go past him even when he's behind the 10 yard line. 

I really feel the Colts are just trying to justify using him back there because of that contract extension they handed out. 

We need Dallas Flowers for both Kickoff and punt returns. Hines makes too many mistakes back there. Flowers had that kickoff return for a td in preseason and was an ace in college 38.1 avg on Kickoffs, over 11.0 on punts. Kid can play,have a feeling we are going to start to see this transition sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

Been 1.5 seasons to this point, when should we get concerned and call a spade a spade ?

Can you provide more evidence that he has been bad for 1.5 seasons now? Are you saying he was bad all of last year, and the half before that? Because this season just started, and wouldn't equate into that. 

7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Can you provide more evidence that he has been bad for 1.5 seasons now? Are you saying he was bad all of last year, and the half before that? Because this season just started, and wouldn't equate into that. 

It's better to separate NB vs Outside CB conversation. 

NB - easy, he's good in NB vs normal shallow and horizontal coverage. 

Outside CB - There's plenty of evidence/stats suggesting he's not good playing outside CB, and in generally on verts. I'd be happy to provide. 

The problem... IIRC, with Flus, we were in nickel 65-70%. So only 30-35% worried. Last week, only 45% in nickel (is the not the norm this year? IDK). So 55% with Moore outside. To add, teams attacked him last year when at NB with more verts. Struggled too. That film is out there.... 

I'd love to see a film study on outside vs normal NB. And also verts in both. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's better to separate NB vs Outside CB conversation. 

NB - easy, he's good in NB vs normal shallow and horizontal coverage. 

Outside CB - There's plenty of evidence/stats suggesting he's not good playing outside CB, and in generally on verts. I'd be happy to provide. 

The problem... IIRC, with Flus, we were in nickel 65-70%. So only 30-35% worried. Last week, only 45% in nickel (is the not the norm this year? IDK). So 55% with Moore outside. To add, teams attacked him last year when at NB with more verts. Struggled too. That film is out there.... 

I'd love to see a film study on outside vs normal NB. And also verts in both. 

yeah he hasnt been an all pro, but to just flat out say hes been bad for 1.5 seasons is a bad take. 

also he's primarily a slot corner, that's clear. so of course he is going to grade lower outside. it's on the coaches to put him in the best position to succeed. 

15 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah he hasnt been an all pro, but to just flat out say hes been bad for 1.5 seasons is a bad take. 

also he's primarily a slot corner, that's clear. so of course he is going to grade lower outside. it's on the coaches to put him in the best position to succeed. 

Several problems/concerns/questions IMO. 

He sees himself as a CB, not a NB. Vocal about it. 

He's good/great in general NB stuff. 

Tons of film getting burned on verts and outside. 

We could cross our fingers on 35% of snaps with Flus's scheme.

Can we roll the dice on 50+% snaps with Gus's scheme.

Only play on NB snaps? Would he accept that? Or cause a stink?

IDK... interesting.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Several problems/concerns/questions IMO. 

He sees himself as a CB, not a NB. Vocal about it. 

He's good/great in general NB stuff. 

Tons of film getting burned on verts and outside. 

We could cross our fingers on 35% of snaps with Flus's scheme.

Can we roll the dice on 50+% snaps with Gus's scheme.

Only play on NB snaps? Would he accept that? Or cause a stink?

IDK... interesting.

it is interesting, but ultimately they need to play him to his strengths. 

ochocinco would still be playing and running go routes if it was up to him. 

coaches gotta make the decision best for team. if he grades the highest in the slot , that's where he needs to be most of the time. 

4 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Last year Kenny Moore gave up 87 receptions with a average over 9.7 yard each reception with a 69.6% completion percentage which was number one in the NFL , (to be fair he was the most targeted player in the league) with a 90.9 passer rating. He started this year off ruff and 2020 he had a good year but towards the end struggled a bit. Last year when matched against the top slot Wr he was destroyed in all of them matches Kupp , redfrow etc… that being said Moore is good in the box when speed and distance is not as much of and issue

17 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Last year Kenny Moore gave up 87 receptions with a average over 9.7 yard each reception with a 69.6% completion percentage which was number one in the NFL , (to be fair he was the most targeted player in the league) with a 90.9 passer rating. He started this year off ruff and 2020 he had a good year but towards the end struggled a bit. Last year when matched against the top slot Wr he was destroyed in all of them matches Kupp , redfrow etc… that being said Moore is good in the box when speed and distance is not as much of and issue

none of this matters when you really watch what is going on. kenny was literally covering 6 foot 5 tight ends on a regular basis. he also sits in a hook zone a lot of the time where completions are made, and his job is to come up and hit them or try to rip the ball out. 

also the slot is the primary target in many offenses. gotta think, if he's so bad, why'd we resign him? If he's so bad, why is he still playing the most with a new D coordinator. 

with your logic, this would say that Ballard, Frank, and Gus Bradley, are all bad at their jobs, and clueless. Is that what you are inferring? 

Also, in an interview with NFL films, top 100, Kupp is on record saying Moore was the best slot corner he had faced. So with that being said, the kupp comment is way off base. To add to this, the reason the Renfrow play is stuck in your mind is because it was the most recent, clear cut loss he took 1v1, which led to a loss. 

Overall, you're reaching. 

17 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

You ask/wonder teams pick him for the most targets lol..

It wasn't like our other CBs were great last year.

28 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

none of this matters when you really watch what is going on. kenny was literally covering 6 foot 5 tight ends on a regular basis. he also sits in a hook zone a lot of the time where completions are made, and his job is to come up and hit them or try to rip the ball out. 

also the slot is the primary target in many offenses. gotta think, if he's so bad, why'd we resign him? If he's so bad, why is he still playing the most with a new D coordinator. 

with your logic, this would say that Ballard, Frank, and Gus Bradley, are all bad at their jobs, and clueless. Is that what you are inferring? 

Also, in an interview with NFL films, top 100, Kupp is on record saying Moore was the best slot corner he had faced. So with that being said, the kupp comment is way off base. To add to this, the reason the Renfrow play is stuck in your mind is because it was the most recent, clear cut loss he took 1v1, which led to a loss. 

Agree some, disagree some.

Ballard didn't cave though (new contract).

And there is a reason he's the targeted CB in the league. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

The year we resigned him he had a very good year it’s what comes after the contract, wouldn’t be the first time a coaching staff loved a guy over other guys….I think you letting all the fan fair probowl stuff could what u actually watching on the field. NFL what have you done lately league when the last time you remember Kenny making a game changing play instead of giving up one ?

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agree some, disagree some.

Ballard didn't cave though (new contract).

And there is a reason he's the targeted CB in the league. 

From what I know watching football which ain’t for 2 cents but normally when your a good corner teams stay away from you not go after you game after game after game. Kenny has always struggled covering passes vertical and deep. Where he excels is blitzing and tackling not coverage. To be fair I do think the slot corner is the hardest to cover cause it’s so many combinations of things that can happen vs the outside which might be easier but you normally covering better players if that make sense. But every time I see him in passing situations he is either trailing giving up a catch or grabbing on a deep ball getting PI calls 

On 9/16/2022 at 1:58 AM, AustinnKaine said:

How can the coaches protect him from vertical routes ? The other team gets paid too. They know Moore Tape and they scheme up vertical routes 

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

How can the coaches protect him from vertical routes ? The other team gets paid too. They know Moore Tape and they scheme up vertical routes 

you can't protect him from that. But I think we see Cross covering those routes more this year. Cross played some slot last game andd was moved all around. it's really a team issue when your shortest cover guy is the best guy at covering TEs. 

On 9/14/2022 at 2:25 AM, Maniac53 said:

Gus is saying something about learning the new players. Aren't they all new to Gus 1st time coaching Colts right? Rodgers needs to be out there next game. IMO

Rodgers is more of a man corner with his speed but he is undersized. This scheme usually goes with big tacking zone corners. I could see him starting against smaller burners on the outside or in the slot. Just think his lack of overall size hurts him in this scheme.

14 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

From what I know watching football which ain’t for 2 cents but normally when your a good corner teams stay away from you not go after you game after game after game. Kenny has always struggled covering passes vertical and deep. Where he excels is blitzing and tackling not coverage. To be fair I do think the slot corner is the hardest to cover cause it’s so many combinations of things that can happen vs the outside which might be easier but you normally covering better players if that make sense. But every time I see him in passing situations he is either trailing giving up a catch or grabbing on a deep ball getting PI calls 

I think that is Rodgers eventual spot at corner or against guys like Tyrek Hill

6 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

you can't protect him from that. But I think we see Cross covering those routes more this year. Cross played some slot last game andd was moved all around. it's really a team issue when your shortest cover guy is the best guy at covering TEs. 

He is definitely not the best at covering TE , where did you get that idea from? He just end up on them because he is playing the nickel and if it’s a zone he has to take the te which teams do by design since he is small 6-5 te vs 5-9 cb no way he can effect a pass strait up the seams  if ball is placed high. I would like to see some more 3 safety looks as well with cross or Blackmon in the box when shaq is back in middle 

57 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

He is definitely not the best at covering TE , where did you get that idea from? He just end up on them because he is playing the nickel and if it’s a zone he has to take the te which teams do by design since he is small 6-5 te vs 5-9 cb no way he can effect a pass strait up the seams  if ball is placed high. I would like to see some more 3 safety looks as well with cross or Blackmon in the box when shaq is back in middle 

he was the best option on the roster. are you going to argue there was someone better? there wasn't, and there still isn't. and like i said, hopefully Cross can help there. 

Archived