Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Araiza Troubles

dw49

Bills P Matt Araiza has been accused of rape in a civil lawsuit filed in California state court. 

Araiza is accused along with two other players from his alma mater San Diego State. The alleged incident took place last October at an off-campus party. It is an extremely disturbing allegation, one that will draw an NFL investigation. 

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

In light of The “Punt God” being included in a lawsuit (today) alleging he and several SDSU teammates gang raped a 17 year old during his senior year I am grateful the Bills cut Haack when they did……to our benefit! LOL 

Wow crazy thing about this story is that San Diego University covered it up for a long time. I 

16 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

In light of The “Punt God” being included in a lawsuit (today) alleging he and several SDSU teammates gang raped a 17 year old during his senior year I am grateful the Bills cut Haack when they did……to our benefit! LOL 

Absolutely disgusting. Even CBSSports is reporting it (which is a major website). I tend to believe this one more than other stories about NFL players. Great job by Ballard getting Mat Haack before the Bills discovered this news about Ariaza. Not sure if that was intentional or pure luck on the timing, but we were very fortunate, and I'm happy we didn't draft Ariaza.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Absolutely disgusting. Even CBSSports is reporting it (which is a major website). I tend to believe this one more than other stories about NFL players. Great job by Ballard getting Mat Haack before the Bills discovered this news about Ariaza. Not sure if that was intentional or pure luck on the timing, but we were very fortunate, and I'm happy we didn't draft Ariaza.

I'm gonna guess he had zero clue about the accusations on Ariaza.  If the bills didn't know,  he didn't know

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is very bad. And SDSU covering it up… even worse… Not surprising though. Brady Hoke is there for his 2nd stint as head coach. Very talented coach-wise and led Ball State to its best years of football. But he’s not one to be trusted, has pretty bad moral character and has 0 loyalty… 

5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

So the Bills knew and still chose a potential rapist over Haack. That’s crazy, seeing the details it’s looking very bad for Araiza.

NFL is going to have an image problem with teams knowing guys are doing bad things and rewarding them anyways.  

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

It's boggles my mind they would risk this over a freaking punter. 

If they are 99% certain the allegations are false and they turn out to be false (ala Brian Banks), they will look like geniuses.

I don't blame them; they may be doing it based on principle, that one should not be judged in the court of public opinion.

10 hours ago, RollerColt said:

This is very bad. And SDSU covering it up… even worse… Not surprising though. Brady Hoke is there for his 2nd stint as head coach. Very talented coach-wise and led Ball State to its best years of football. But he’s not one to be trusted, has pretty bad moral character and has 0 loyalty… 

I'm staying partial on this.    Just seems odd that legal charges are not being files, just a lawsuit.  A money grab is not out of the realm of possibilities.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm staying partial on this.    Just seems odd that legal charges are not being files, just a lawsuit.  A money grab is not out of the realm of possibilities.  

Perhaps. But she did go to the police right after. And also obtained a rape kit. My question is why were charges not pressed, what were the police doing, and what was the football program doing during all of this? 

And I absolutely hate the fact that a small group of people have attempted money grabbing, so now it's ruined actual cases of rape because women are afraid of being accused of false victimhood. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

My question is, why only a lawsuit?  Why isn't he being charged with a crime?

I asked the same question, and had to go back to the LA Times article.  Apparently, according to one of the lawyers for one of the guys being accused, he couldn't comment because there was still an active criminal investigation.  They say in the article that the investigation bogged down after the new year.  Seems to me that she was unhappy with how law enforcement was conducting this, and launched her own civil lawsuit.

I'm guessing that there's still the possibility of criminal charges and an arrest.  But I wonder what's taking them so long.  There's got to be a reason.  Will just have to keep our eyes open for new developments.  It's still possible that her story doesn't check out.  That their sex was consensual.  If she left the room into the party bloody and crying, do the other people attending the party corroborate that account?  What if they don't?  Just gonna have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I'm glad we didn't draft him, as some have suggested we should have when Rigo went down, and had this mess in our laps rather than in Buffalo's.

49 minutes ago, Myles said:

She actually went to campus police right away and they covered it up. There is a rape kit, audio ect. This stuff happens on campuses all the time and cops cover up for athletes.

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Perhaps. But she did go to the police right after. And also obtained a rape kit. My question is why were charges not pressed, what were the police doing, and what was the football program doing during all of this? 

And I absolutely hate the fact that a small group of people have attempted money grabbing, so now it's ruined actual cases of rape because women are afraid of being accused of false victimhood. 

Did some digging. Charges were pressed, and there is an active criminal investigation going on with San Diego police. 

22 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

She actually went to campus police right away and they covered it up. There is a rape kit, audio ect. This stuff happens on campuses all the time and cops cover up for athletes.

The facts are he was 21, she was 17.  It was at his place.  She went to the police the next day.  

After that, If any of her allegations are true, he won’t be playing this season. Which is going to be the least of his problems.  

If it turns out that the school and the police covered anything up, they should all be facing crimes charges too.  Disgusting.  

Our justice system is designed to protect the accused, not the victims. There has to be significant physical evidence for a prosecutor to pursue this type of crime. If there is no DNA linking him to it, he wont be charged. It certainly doesnt mean he is innocent.

Sounds like this girl did everything a rape victim would do. She went to the police next day and was fully cooperative. 

I see no reason to doubt her.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The facts are he was 21, she was 17.  It was at his place.  She went to the police the next day.  

After that, If any of her allegations are true, he won’t be playing this season. Which is going to be the least of his problems.  

If it turns out that the school and the police covered anything up, they should all be facing crimes charges too.  Disgusting.  

Unfortunately the age of legal consent in most states is 16 (it is in Indiana), it isn't 18 like most people think. If it is 18 there than that changes a lot for sure. Law wise where the age of 18 comes in is, one can't send nude pictures of a person that isn't 18 or older on their phone for example. Weird how the law works. I would question why she was at his house in the 1st place. If she got raped and it is proven, law enforcement should throw the book at him. He may have done it, if so then he should do time for the crime and be banned from the league. After what happened to the Duke Lacrosse players, I never jumped to a conclusion until the evidence is provided in full circle. Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Unfortunately the age of legal consent in most states is 16 (it is in Indiana), it isn't 18 like most people think. If it is 18 there than that changes a lot for sure. Law wise where the age of 18 comes in is, one can't send nude pictures of a person that isn't 18 or older on their phone for example. Weird how the law works. I would question why she was at his house in the 1st place. If she got raped and it is proven, law enforcement should throw the book at him. He may have done it, if so then he should do time for the crime and be banned from the league. After what happened to the Duke Lacrosse players, I never jumped to a conclusion until the evidence is provided in full circle. Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

Regardless of age what he’s accused of is still bad enough and a very serious crime.

10 hours ago, rock8591 said:

If they are 99% certain the allegations are false and they turn out to be false (ala Brian Banks), they will look like geniuses.

I don't blame them; they may be doing it based on principle, that one should not be judged in the court of public opinion.

There’s recordings of him admitting to it he’s done.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Regardless of age what he’s accused of is still bad enough and a very serious crime.

Never said it wasn't, I agree and if he is guilty he deserves to do time. I just brought up age because the poster who I quoted said she was 17 so I figured he was thinking 17 was under age. If you read my post closely I explained everything clearly and I am not defending the guy at all. 

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just looked it up, legal age of consent in California is 18. He is screwed either way lmao . It is 16 here.

Bottomline is, Ballard got Mat Haack and not the guy some wanted in here.

I read even more articles on the situation. In a pretext (recorded and supervised by police) phone call between Matt and the victim, he confirmed to being in the room and having, relations, with her. He even went so far as to tell her she should get tested... 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I read even more articles on the situation. In a pretext (recorded and supervised by police) phone call between the Matt and the victim, he confirmed to being in the room and having, relations, with her. He even went so far as to tell her she should get tested... 

Yeah he did it to himself, the kid just blew his whole career by being dumb Tom Chandler GIF

16 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Basically since it happened before he was drafted, NFL is saying they have no ability as it doesnt fall under personal conduct until he is in the league

so the NCAA then?  Either way, I’m curious to see how this plays out.

Archived