Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Araiza Troubles

dw49

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But you know what, I also need to give them credit too. This is what should have happened to Watson, he shouldn’t be on a roster. Kudos to the Bills for at least making the right move here

The browns gave Watson a gigantic fully guaranteed contract long after his allegations came out.  They even structured his contract in such a way that they knew he was going to be suspended.    Gross

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The browns gave Watson a gigantic fully guaranteed contract long after his allegations came out.  They even structured his contract in such a way that they knew he was going to be suspended.    Gross

Exactly. Karma will strike 

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Misdemeanor for the alcohol to a minor, but they could argue they got her drunk to take advantage of her.

Yep. As an investigator myself, if the rape kit confirms dna from all three was in her or on her and her tox screen shows alcohol or drugs in her system, it’ll be pretty much a slam dunk case for even a rookie prosecutor. The he said she said thing doesn’t matter much, especially when it involves a minor, when you have 2 out of 3 things, 1, alcohol/drugs, or DNA/physical evidence reported within a timely manner, or confession of sex. Here we have a high likelihood of all 3.  Definitely 2/3. 

only question becomes, how good the defense lawyers are…

58 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep. As an investigator myself, if the rape kit confirms dna from all three was in her or on her and her tox screen shows alcohol or drugs in her system, it’ll be pretty much a slam dunk case for even a rookie prosecutor. The he said she said thing doesn’t matter much, especially when it involves a minor, when you have 2 out of 3 things, 1, alcohol/drugs, or DNA/physical evidence reported within a timely manner, or confession of sex. Here we have a high likelihood of all 3.  Definitely 2/3. 

only question becomes, how good the defense lawyers are…

Very tough to lose this case, however I have very little belief in the legal system. It's just so easy to poke holes.

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You understand the criminal investigation is still underway right?  Also,  even if it was "consensual" he admitted to having sex with a minor.   Also,  she was given alcohol at the party.    If it's my company,  I get rid of him on those two facts alone.  

Criminal investigation is still ongoing, and that's why he needs to be fired now before full due process is completed? 

He admitted to having sex with a girl he knew was a minor, or he admitted to having sex with a girl who is a minor?   

I don't know what the crime is for having consensual sex with a 17 year old.  I don't follow those sorts of things...not my hobby.  But I assumed since she decided to attend a party knowingly comprised of adult males and not her minor peers, that she did the responsible thing and announced that she was a minor, or that the House had a process to ID attendees at the door.  Bars, liquor stores and even grocery stores do that kind of thing.  Pretty easy.  Otherwise, how would the punter know?  She's at the party.  Its assumed she's not a minor by the fact that she chose to be there.  Afterall, if she was a minor, she would have done the right thing and not be there. 

What do you mean that "she was given alcohol at the party"?  The punter is responsible for her having the alcohol, or that he even knew it?   Her accusation that he raped her somehow connects him with her being given alcohol? 

Does it mean that she was tied down and alcohol shoved down her throat...

or that she was unaware that she was drinking a drink spiked by someone else...

or that she knew it was alcohol when being served, and she chose to ignore the fact that she herself was underage and drank it anyway.

Was she seeking for the keg or the punchbowl before being served?  Did she ask for a beer before "being served" a beer?

This stuff is never about actual due process.   Cutting the punter makes a social statement, per the usual NFL embedded backwards mindedness 

I think its a shame that rich billionaires try to enhance their already-clubbish image off of the back of a 22 year old kid who has not had much of a chance for due process at this point.  I would think that owners would be more secure about how they got their billions than to enhance it by shaming a kid when things get a little difficult.  Jimmy Irsay would probably do the same thing.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

So you think the NFL should suspend players longer for gambling than assault.  That’s what’s you are saying when you said he did well here.  I am saying to me that’s what shows the NFL’s discipline is a joke.  Yes Goodell made it longer but he wouldn’t have had too had the NFL’s discipline not been a joke from the start.  Also, just because he made it longer doesn’t mean it was long enough.  I think he should have gotten the indefinite suspension which would have probably been lifted after a year had he proven he was truly sorry by completing certain steps.  Also five millions dollars might be a lot to you or me but it’s nothing to a guy who just signed a $230 million dollar guaranteed contract.  If the NFL wanted to send a message fine him $24 million, $1 for each one who accused him.

Assault is obviously worse but it isn't as easy as you make it out to be. If I had a daughter that was 1 of women I  wouldn't be happy. Regarding Watson no criminal charges were filed regarding sexual assault so at that point if Goodell would have made it a year, the union would have fought it. This would of went on for a long time so Goodell and the union came to an agreement. He wasn't getting a year. 

Regarding Ridley, he gambled on football and that is against league rules. You automatically get a year, players know this. I explained this clearly on the prior page why Ridley got a longer suspension.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Assault is obviously worse but it isn't as easy as you make it out to be. If I had a daughter that was 1 of women I  wouldn't be happy. Regarding Watson no criminal charges were filed regarding sexual assault so at that point if Goodell would have made it a year, the union would have fought it. This would of went on for a long time so Goodell and the union came to an agreement. He wasn't getting a year. 

Regarding Ridley, he gambled on football and that is against league rules. You automatically get a year, players know this. I explained this clearly on the prior page why Ridley got a longer suspension.

That’s my whole point about assault being worse.  If it’s worse then the punishment should be worse.  If it’s not your discipline is a joke.  I am not saying Ridley shouldn’t have gotten a year I am saying Watson should have gotten more because what he did is worse.  Take Watson out of this for a second but before this the NFL’s standard for situations like Watson was six games.  That’s why the Judge originally gave him that.  Can you agree it’s screwed up and reflective of you caring more about your bottom line if you feel like you needed a standard of a year for gambling on football but players who have assaulted people get six games?  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s my whole point about assault being worse.  If it’s worse then the punishment should be worse.  If it’s not your discipline is a joke.  I am not saying Ridley shouldn’t have gotten a year I am saying Watson should have gotten more because what he did is worse.  Take Watson out of this for a second but before this the NFL’s standard for situations like Watson was six games.  That’s why the Judge originally gave him that.  Can you agree it’s screwed up and reflective of you caring more about your bottom line if you feel like you needed a standard of a year for gambling on football but players who have assaulted people get six games?  

Every case is different. Would you agree that Big Ben only getting a 4 game suspension being accused of rape is a worse look than Watson getting 11 and 5 million dollar fine who is not being accused of rape. I am not defending Watson but I know why they came to the conclusion they did with everything factored in. Look at what the NFL did to Ray Rice after they got concrete evidence he assaulted his wife. He was kicked out of the league.

Bringing Ridley up, really is a bad comparison because the players agreed to the CBA. That if a player gambles on football they are automatically suspended for 1 year. I love to gamble on football but I am not a player. When a player does it, you jeopardize the integrity of the game. That could literally affect millions of people who do bet. When I said Goodell did "well", compared to what Watson was going to get, he did. I said "well", not great.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Every case is different. Would you agree that Big Ben only getting a 4 game suspension being accused of rape is a worse look than Watson getting 11 and 5 million dollar fine who is not being accused of rape. I am not defending Watson but I know why they came to the conclusion they did with everything factored in. Look at what the NFL did to Ray Rice after they got concrete evidence he assaulted his wife. He was kicked out of the league.

Bringing Ridley up, really is a bad comparison because the players agreed to the CBA. That if a player gambles on football they are automatically suspended for 1 year. I love to gamble on football but I am not a player. When a player does it, you jeopardize the integrity of the game. That could literally affect millions of people who do bet. When I said Goodell did "well", compared to what Watson was going to get, he did. I said "well", not great.

I get why they did it.  I know it jeopardizes the integrity of the game.  That’s my point about them caring about it because it could impact their bottom line in a huge way.  However, most people would agree gambling is not worse than assault sexual or physical no matter how many people it impacts.  That’s why I am saying if your discipline systems suspends players longer for gambling than assault it’s screwed up and joke and shows what you are really concerned about is your bottom line.  I know they agreed to two different systems and all that.  My point is the NFL’s priorities are screwed up because they are more concerned about money.  They are far from the only ones who act that way but that’s a whole other topic for whole other forum.  We clearly don’t agree so I say time to agree to disagree.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I get why they did it.  I know it jeopardizes the integrity of the game.  That’s my point about them caring about it because it could impact their bottom line in a huge way.  However, most people would agree gambling is not worse than assault sexual or physical no matter how many people it impacts.  That’s why I am saying if your discipline systems suspends players longer for gambling than assault it’s screwed up and joke and shows what you are really concerned about is your bottom line.  I know they agreed to two different systems and all that.  My point is the NFL’s priorities are screwed up because they are more concerned about money.  They are far from the only ones who act that way but that’s a whole other topic for whole other forum.  We clearly don’t agree so I say time to agree to disagree.

While I agree with you completely, the NFL is a business and like most businesses the NFL is prioritizing the bottom line. There are decisions made by businesses that have severe and long-lasting effects/repercussions for the future, but people tend to ignore them if those decisions are benefitting them today. Businesses will also take chances with people with checkered pasts if those people will help the bottom line. Think about the NCAA which, I believe, should have the best interests of students in mind. They allow true misdeeds by administrators, coaches, and students (like Araiza, those Baylor students, and others) to go unpunished but punish some student-athletes for accepting free dinners or a trip for a parent to watch them play. I think it is ridiculous. Hopefully things will begin to change. 

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

While I agree with you completely, the NFL is a business and like most businesses the NFL is prioritizing the bottom line. There are decisions made by businesses that have severe and long-lasting effects/repercussions for the future, but people tend to ignore them if those decisions are benefitting them today. Businesses will also take chances with people with checkered pasts if those people will help the bottom line. Think about the NCAA which, I believe, should have the best interests of students in mind. They allow true misdeeds by administrators, coaches, and students (like Araiza, those Baylor students, and others) to go unpunished but punish some student-athletes for accepting free dinners or a trip for a parent to watch them play. I think it is ridiculous. Hopefully things will begin to change. 

Again I get it and that’s why I said they are far from the only ones who are that way.  That’s not really my point though.  My point is it’s screwed up.  

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-really-took-rape-allegations-050421786.html

some may not agree with this opinion peace and that’s fine but I think it’s spot on for the most part.

The allegations are more egregious than I originally thought. :facepalm:  

I think the Bills were hoping that no one would find out about this. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

The allegations are more egregious than I originally thought. :facepalm:  

I think the Bills were hoping that no one would find out about this. 

Yep.  That’s why I laugh when teams and the league says some of things they do.  It’s clear they are just doing it for PR.  If they really meant them things wouldn’t get to the point they often do.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again I get it and that’s why I said they are far from the only ones who are that way.  That’s not really my point though.  My point is it’s screwed up.  

I agree with you. (I was trying to advance the point. It seems that businesses, in this case sports, are screwed up.).

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Be warned graphic details.  Mods I understand if you remove this 

Awful. It is good that she had the courage and presence of mind to go to the police. Most women would be too traumatized and embarrassed to report that so soon after the incident. 

The Bills' loss is the Colts' gain.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Awful. It is good that she had the courage and presence of mind to go to the police. Most women would be too traumatized and embarrassed to report that so soon after the incident. 

The Bills' loss is the Colts' gain.

Yeah for all the debate (largely by me) in this thread about NFL discipline I hope people don’t lose sight of something horrific happened to a very young girl and it’s not only going to have a huge impact on her others poor choices is probably going to ruin three other young peoples lives.  I don’t feel sorry for them don’t get me wrong they deserve what’s going to come their way but the situation is sad and that’s why I posted what happened.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah for all the debate (largely by me) in this thread about NFL discipline I hope people don’t lose sight of something horrific happened to a very young girl and it’s not only going to have a huge impact on her others poor choices is probably going to ruin three other young peoples lives.  I don’t feel sorry for them don’t get me wrong they deserve what’s going to come their way but the situation is sad and that’s why I posted what happened.  

I have been thinking the same. This will affect the lives of all of them (the girl and the alleged perpetrators) and they are all so young. I keep wondering what would make these guys do this. Apparently this was well known around campus. Listen to Pat McAfee:

Some will continue to point out that they find it odd that the lawsuit happened right after he was officially assigned as the team punter. But the way I see it: They tried to contact the team in July about the situation. Before that they contacted police and an investigation was started and is still in process. As a father myself, it would definitely tick me off to see my daughter’s rapist gain national attention for making the Bills team after everything that happened. No question I would file a lawsuit as well, because someone like that should not be on an NFL team. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Some will continue to point out that they find it odd that the lawsuit happened right after he was officially assigned as the team punter. But the way I see it: They tried to contact the team in July about the situation. Before that they contacted police and an investigation was started and is still in process. As a father myself, it would definitely tick me off to see my daughter’s rapist gain national attention for making the Bills team after everything that happened. No question I would file a lawsuit as well, because someone like that should not be on an NFL team. 

Not just that but not only has he gone unpunished for what he did to this point he was being rewarded.  I think making the Bills roster was the final straw for them as they felt they had been ignored by everyone to that point and were tired of seeing him getting away with it.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not just that but not only has he gone unpunished for what he did to this point he was being rewarded.  I think making the Bills roster was the final straw for them as they felt they had been ignored by everyone to that point and were tired of seeing him getting away with it.

Agreed. 

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Absolutely. I would too. And criminal cases always seem to take longer to bring about because district attorneys want to win their cases. I watch some crime shows and in many cases, it took decades to gather sufficient evidence to bring charges against someone. If this happened here, Araiza will be retired by the time charges are brought against him. I would not have heard about this if she did not file the civil case. It is terrible that some believe it is a "money grab". If that was the case, she won't be making much with him in jail.

According to this article, the school has done nothing and one of the alleged perpetrators continues to play for San Diego State. Her lawyer also reveals that the Bills did not reach out to him during their "investigation" of Araiza 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/bills/nfl-buffalo-bills-investigation-punt-god-matt-araiza-san-diego-state-university-alleged-victim-not-included/71-f458e786-aa36-4e4e-960b-52dcde459708

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Absolutely. I would too. And criminal cases always seem to take longer to bring about because district attorneys want to win their cases. I watch some crime shows and in many cases, it took decades to gather sufficient evidence to bring charges against someone. If this happened here, Araiza will be retired by the time charges are brought against him. I would not have heard about this if the she did not file the civil case. It is terrible that some believe it is a "money grab". If that was the case, she won't be making much with him in jail.

According to this article, the school has done nothing and one of the alleged perpetrators continues to play for San Diego State. Her lawyer also reveals that the Bills did not reach out to him during their "investigation" of Araiza 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/bills/nfl-buffalo-bills-investigation-punt-god-matt-araiza-san-diego-state-university-alleged-victim-not-included/71-f458e786-aa36-4e4e-960b-52dcde459708

The term “money grab” and all sorts of victim blaming always tend to pop up in discussions like this, unfortunately. And it’s a shame. Women are already terrified/ashamed to come forward after assaults, and now they have to deal with people calling them liars or insinuating that vicious attacks are their own fault? It’s ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

The term “money grab” and all sorts of victim blaming always tend to pop up in discussions like this, unfortunately. And it’s a shame. Women are already terrified/ashamed to come forward after assaults, and now they have to deal with people calling them liars or insinuating that vicious attacks are their own fault? It’s ridiculous. 

That’s why I posted the graphic account of what happened here.  Some were hinting at that with this girl (and I say girl because she’s 17 she’s a child).  I think the only way you fix that is for people to see what really happened because God willing most of us will never experience anything close to this.  

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I posted the graphic account of what happened here.  Some were hinting at that with this girl (and I say girl because she’s 17 she’s a child).  I think the only way you fix that is for people to see what really happened because God willing most of us will never experience anything close to this.  

Yup. It’s good that it makes people squirm or makes them feel uncomfortable; If that is what it takes to bring awareness and complete understanding of not only this situation but the plight of countless others, then so be it. 

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

Very tough to lose this case, however I have very little belief in the legal system. It's just so easy to poke holes.

That’s why I say it’ll come down to lawyers, if this goes criminal. Which we don’t know all the details so it’s hard to say if they’ll charge him or not. Either way, it’s a strong message sent by the Bills

at a minimum, the civil case ends up with a settlement. 

Archived