Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard/Julio

Moosejawcolt

Is anyone kind of puzzled by Ballard's remarks on Julio? When asked if they were interested in Julio. He first said he doesn't usually comment. However he went on to say it  was never a discussion inside the building. Julio was asked after he signed with Tampa and he  listed other teams who contacted his representatives and one was the Colts. Why didn't Ballard just say no comment? Either Julio and Ballard are lying and I don't see why Julio would. To me it's not a good look for Ballard who many see as very transparent and forth coming.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a head scratcher. 

Not sure why Julio would say he was contacted if he wasn't. He's with TB12 on a contender, so it's not like he's got a bone to pick. 

It would be nice if the press brought it up, but they rarely ask tough questions. 

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It is a head scratcher. 

Not sure why Julio would say he was contacted if he wasn't. He's with TB12 on a contender, so it's not like he's got a bone to pick. 

It would be nice if the press brought it up, but they rarely ask tough questions. 

Yeah, Ballard says he doesn't comment on possible player acquisitions and then he does and amps it ip by saying they never had contact. Why didn't Ballard just said no comment? Then Julio says they did. It's all really weird why Ballard would comment on it.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah, Ballard says he doesn't comment on possible player acquisitions and then he does and amps it ip by saying they never had contact. Why didn't Ballard just said no comment? Then Julio says they did. It's all really weird why Ballard would comment on it.

Maybe Ballard asked his staff to see if Julio wanted to stop by Indy for a tryout and when Julio didn't, Ballard figured that was no contact and Julio figured it was.  Just saying that we may just be missing something and no one is actually lying.

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Just strange. It's at least worthy of a follow up question, but doubt the local groveling media will ask it. 

Maybe Julio is worried about his image.  With his former connection to Matt Ryan, it makes Julio look bad if Matt Ryan and the colts are not interested in him.  He expected a call from the Colts, didn't get one, and is pretending like he was more wanted around the league than he was.  or his agent is blowing him smoke to make sure Julio stays happy.   I believe Ballard 

47 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Is anyone kind of puzzled by Ballard's remarks on Julio? When asked if they were interested in Julio. He first said he doesn't usually comment. However he went on to say it  was never a discussion inside the building. Julio was asked after he signed with Tampa and he  listed other teams who contacted his representatives and one was the Colts. Why didn't Ballard just say no comment? Either Julio and Ballard are lying and I don't see why Julio would. To me it's not a good look for Ballard who many see as very transparent and forth coming.

Yes.  Somebody lyin.  What advantage it would be to either party, I can't conceive. 

What??

Reporter: Is Julio Jones in the mix?

Ballard: I don't usually talk about players acquisitions(? the word he used was unclear) but we have not had any discussions about Julio. I know there's reports out there, but those reports are wrong.

Then Julio says he had conversations with his representation while he was deciding where he wanted to play. He suggests other teams offered him more money. He said Aaron Rodgers came up, Brady came up. Then he says he had the Colts, and the Saints, and numerous 'people' trying to communicate with him 'and things like that.' He told his agent he wanted to have the best opportunity to win a ring. Then Tom Brady contacted him, and then over some unclear amount of time he continued talking about joining the Bucs and fitting in. 

So Ballard is asked a direct question, and says definitively that they weren't discussing adding Julio. Julio signs with the Bucs basically at the same time Ballard is talking. Then Julio says something that's unclear and unspecific, and mentions the Colts. And it means that Ballard must have been lying?

This is nothing. Julio is posturing. He could have been interested in the Colts at some point over the last four months. Maybe he talked to Matt Ryan, which is the whole reason anyone was linking Julio to the Colts in the first place. When Ballard says in late July that they have not had discussions about Julio, it's pretty clear. It's not even contradictory to what Julio said, because Julio didn't actually say anything. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Maybe Julio is worried about his image.  With his former connection to Matt Ryan, it makes Julio look bad if Matt Ryan and the colts are not interested in him.  He expected a call from the Colts, didn't get one, and is pretending like he was more wanted around the league than he was.  or his agent is blowing him smoke to make sure Julio stays happy.   I believe Ballard 

Nailed it. 

Not sure why Julio would posture, or be worried about his image. 

He just signed with a team that has the 2nd best SB odds lol... And he'll be catching passes from a QB most consider the GOAT.

I mean, what's there to posture about. He'll be a rotation piece with Evans. And a good chance of getting a ring in Arian's offense. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He just signed with a team that has the 2nd best SB odds lol... And he'll be catching passes from a QB most consider the GOAT.

I mean, what's there to posture about. He'll be a rotation piece with Evans. And a good chance of getting a ring in Arian's offense. 

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but then neither does Ballard who doesn't talk about that talking about.

Ngapa GIF

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but then neither does Ballard who doesn't talk about that talking about.

Not saying Ballard is lying. But it's very strange you say you don't talk about those things, then talk about them lol... wut... 

Like I said, it's worthy of a follow up question from the press, but doubt anyone has the stones. 

IMO, it's likely just miscommunication, or a problem with "contact" definition. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I strongly believe that any and all talks would have been communication between him and Matt Ryan.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Someone made a good point. Julio probably only knows what teams were  interested by what his agent told him. Agents lie to make it look like more teams are interested to get more money.  That could be the case here. Local media has said all along colts were not interested.

lol. Agents that lie to their bosses don't stay employed long. 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe they had the discussion outside the building vs inside the building.

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Ballard wanted to sign Jones because he felt he had a little more in the tank than Hilton. 

Julio chose Tampa.

Now Ballard wants to sign TY but he doesnt want him to think he is a last resort out of respect for what hes done for the Colts. 

Thats my theory. 

Very possibly.

Ballard doesn't want TY to think that he's the second choice.

As far as Julio, I've watched him play for many years with the Falcons.

He's a high character, no nonsense player.  He works really hard and keeps his nose to the grindstone.

And he's very quiet.  He very rarely talks to the press and probably wouldn't have mentioned it at all if not asked a direct question.

He comes from Alabama and thats how Saban moulds his players.  Keep quiet and go about your business.

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

I remember an interview with Matt Ryan on the McAfee Show. He was asked about Julio Jones. He sounded like he knew the Colts wouldn’t bring him here. This was back in April.

We're already overstocked with bigs, so it's never really made sense IMO. 

Our deficit is, or at least has been, Z or slot type WRs. 

That's why I've never though Julio was in the cards, and TY would be the vet pick if any. 

I'm glad we're going into camp and giving the young guys chances. 

Of the Z/slot types, Dulin and Coutee seem to be making the most of it. Parris had got to stay healthy though. 

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Ballard wanted to sign Jones because he felt he had a little more in the tank than Hilton. 

Julio chose Tampa.

Now Ballard wants to sign TY but he doesnt want him to think he is a last resort out of respect for what hes done for the Colts. 

Thats my theory. 

Thats fargin interesting man. Thats fargin interesting.

D5E1431E-D39F-4891-B22A-414C842534EE.jpeg

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think there is much to look into here.

Since we signed Ryan, the media was obviously going to talk about him reuniting with Julio.  Ballard is probably right saying there had been media reports out which are false. He could simply have talked to Julios agent early and said something like 'if Julio wants to take a big payout to come here and play with Matt, let us know.'  That'd kind of make both guys right (Julio saying he was contacted by Colts and Ballard saying that he was never really interested).

As far as why would Julio posture? My guess is when he and his agent were negotiating with TB, they weren't saying "we have no offers on the table, we're desperate, we want a lot of money but we have no interest elsewhere." More likely than not, they were saying "we have a lot of interest from around the league. This is our minimum price or we have half a dozen team we'll go sign with if you can't meet us here."  I'm sure the Bucs aren't the only team that offered or was interested in Julio, but it's not like the day after he signed he's gonna tell the media "glad I got this big contract, I was worried because I didn't have many other offers."  Of course he's gonna say he had a lot of other suitors, and even if we didn't show interest, he could have said we did because there Was a lot of speculation on the internet about him reuniting with Matty Ice.

Like last year TY was very adamant that he took a big reduction in pay to play for Indy.. he wasn't gonna tell the media he had no other offers.. and he probably had other suitors, but I highly doubt he had offers significantly higher than what we give him considering his drop off in production and nagging injuries. 

16 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think there is much to look into here.

Since we signed Ryan, the media was obviously going to talk about him reuniting with Julio.  Ballard is probably right saying there had been media reports out which are false. He could simply have talked to Julios agent early and said something like 'if Julio wants to take a big payout to come here and play with Matt, let us know.'  That'd kind of make both guys right (Julio saying he was contacted by Colts and Ballard saying that he was never really interested).

As far as why would Julio posture? My guess is when he and his agent were negotiating with TB, they weren't saying "we have no offers on the table, we're desperate, we want a lot of money but we have no interest elsewhere." More likely than not, they were saying "we have a lot of interest from around the league. This is our minimum price or we have half a dozen team we'll go sign with if you can't meet us here."  I'm sure the Bucs aren't the only team that offered or was interested in Julio, but it's not like the day after he signed he's gonna tell the media "glad I got this big contract, I was worried because I didn't have many other offers."  Of course he's gonna say he had a lot of other suitors, and even if we didn't show interest, he could have said we did because there Was a lot of speculation on the internet about him reuniting with Matty Ice.

Like last year TY was very adamant that he took a big reduction in pay to play for Indy.. he wasn't gonna tell the media he had no other offers.. and he probably had other suitors, but I highly doubt he had offers significantly higher than what we give him considering his drop off in production and nagging injuries. 

Like I said earlier, I think it's likely miscommunication, or an issue of definition. I don't see why either would lie. I do however find it strange that Ballard pointed out he never talks about this stuff, then talked about it. 

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You don’t know why Julio wouldn’t tell the truth?    How about to try and show there was a bigger market for his services.   Players always want to feel like they’re in demand. 

Of course, it could also be a simple misunderstanding.   Hypothetically, his agent calls the Colts to ask if we’re interested.  We say no.  And maybe we said no due to price. (Up to $6 mill)  Julio asks his agent if we spoke to the Colts and the agent says yes.   In Julio’s mind, we’ve shown interest because we spoke to his agent.  Julio may not even know/care that it was his agent who contacted us, and not the other way around.  

Honestly, this is a Big Nothing Burger. 

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If I had your imagination about Ballard, Nelson, and Leonard I would be a millionaire The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard is probably right saying there had been media reports out which are false.

The fact that Ballard went out of his way to say 'those reports are wrong' is what stood out to me. As if he was saying 'whoever is spinning this story, I'm shutting it down.' 

If the team was discussing Julio, there would be no reason for Ballard to deny it. In the past, he's answered questions like this with something like 'we talk to and consider a bunch of guys, but we like what we have,' yadda yadda. Some version of coachspeak in which he's not actually giving any information. He specifically refuted the idea that the team was considering signing Julio, and he didn't even have to. Makes me think he was making a point.

And when I watch Ballard address this question, and then watch Julio's comments, one of them is being unequivocal, and the other is less convincing. Doesn't matter what Julio says or does, but there's no reason to think Ballard is being untruthful.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

The fact that Ballard went out of his way to say 'those reports are wrong' is what stood out to me. As if he was saying 'whoever is spinning this story, I'm shutting it down.' 

If the team was discussing Julio, there would be no reason for Ballard to deny it. In the past, he's answered questions like this with something like 'we talk to and consider a bunch of guys, but we like what we have,' yadda yadda. Some version of coachspeak in which he's not actually giving any information. He specifically refuted the idea that the team was considering signing Julio, and he didn't even have to. Makes me think he was making a point.

And when I watch Ballard address this question, and then watch Julio's comments, one of them is being unequivocal, and the other is less convincing. Doesn't matter what Julio says or does, but there's no reason to think Ballard is being untruthful.

If you know Julio, and the type of guy he is, you know he's not a diva. He's a quiet demeanor'd businesslike guy. Given he just signed with the NFC favorite, just not sure what he's gaining by lying. He just lucked out big time and is in a much better situation than Indy. 

I don't see Ballard lying either. But you have to admit it's strange that he made a point to say "I don't normally talk about... ", then proceeds to talk about it. Why would he really care what's been said? Why does he feel the need to go out of his way to comment on it. 

Anyway, no reason for either to lie. It's pretty peculiar though that Ballard chose to say what he said. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If you know Julio, and the type of guy he is, you know he's not a diva. He's a quiet demeanor'd businesslike guy. Given he just signed with the NFC favorite, just not sure what he's gaining by lying. He just lucked out big time and is in a much better situation than Indy. 

I don't see Ballard lying either. But you have to admit it's strange that he made a point to say "I don't normally talk about... ", then proceeds to talk about it. Why would he really care what's been said? Why does he feel the need to go out of his way to comment on it. 

Anyway, no reason for either to lie. It's pretty peculiar though that Ballard chose to say what he said. 

I am not sure Julio is in a "much" better situation. 'Much' is the key word. Tampa is very good but we are good. Yeah they have Tom but are aging a bit as a team and Arians is no longer the coach. I heard they lost their starting Center today and it may be season ending, not sure yet. They should win their division but so should we. This season is really up for grabs because IMO there are no dominant teams, a lot of parity. Buffalo IMO is the best team in the league.

I have to be honest, I would rather have TY Hilton than Julio but I have been saying that for 2 months. Julio is better all-time but as of now it is pretty even and TY is a true Colt that knows our coaching staff better.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure Julio is in a "much" better situation. 'Much' is the key word. Tampa is very good but we are good. Yeah they have Tom but are aging a bit as a team and Arians is no longer the coach. I heard they lost their starting Center today and it may be season ending, not sure yet. They should win their division but so should we. This season is really up for grabs because IMO there are no dominant teams, a lot of parity. Buffalo IMO is the best team in the league.

I have to be honest, I would rather have TY Hilton than Julio but I have been saying that for 2 months. Julio is better all-time but as of now it is pretty even and TY is a true Colt that knows our coaching staff better.

Come on man. TB is the NFC favorite to go to the SB by Vegas. 

I'd rather have TY too. We already have enough bigs. 

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

I caught that same vibe when he spoke about it. It makes no sense for him to make that up. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Come on man. TB is the NFC favorite to go to the SB by Vegas. 

I'd rather have TY too. We already have enough bigs. 

They are favored to win the NFC but it is the weaker conference. As funny as this sounds, I think GB will better off without Adams. Rodgers will spread it around more. I like GB in the NFC because sooner or later Rodgers is going to break that jinx.

Regarding your last sentence, I agree 100%

The title of this thread says Ballard & Julio but this was clearly a Matt Ryan decision. If Matt went to Ballard & said he wanted Julio, then Ballard would’ve went out and made a serious effort to get him.  Matt clearly didn’t want to play with Julio anymore and wanted to roll with the guys we have (maybe look into adding OBJ or TY later).  

There were rumors that Julio no longer wanted to play with Ryan towards the end in Atlanta and they parted on bad terms.  I think Matty Ice simply chose not to go back down that road again and Ballard respected his wishes.  

Archived