Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts biggest need post draft

BProland85

6 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

I'd feel a lot better if JT had a 3-down potential backup (Mike Davis? Michel? Devonta Freeman?) & I'd feel better with another speedier, YAC type of wideout but I don't think that guy exists in FA.

I just realized how many good cheap WR options are still available. I'd LOVE a John Ross/Albert Wilson/Keelan Cole addition to round out our room & add competition. Feels like it would be a final touch. E. Sanders, Cole Beasley & Will Fuller are there also but they are probably in a tier (and consequential pay tier) JUST above the 3 I stated. I know those guys aren't known for YAC but I'll take the speed!

I really suck at the NFL numbers and how they work though. Is anything realistically still possible with our remaining 13M? 

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo the biggest need for this team is for Reich to relinquish the play calling duties. 

YES!!   That would be awesome and would probably add a game or 2 to the win total.   

Wouldn't mind a vet WR. Get Ryan a proven guy, so he's not relying on Pitt and a bunch of unknowns. I know what Ballard said about people being afraid of the unknowns, but one more WR wouldn't hurt. Problem is, I don't know who that would be. They all have injury issues, except for Landry, who has money issues.

16 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Wouldn't mind a vet WR. Get Ryan a proven guy, so he's not relying on Pitt and a bunch of unknowns. I know what Ballard said about people being afraid of the unknowns, but one more WR wouldn't hurt. Problem is, I don't know who that would be. They all have injury issues, except for Landry, who has money issues.

A vet WR not named TY, is that what you meant?? :) 

I'd say biggest priority would be:

1.  Identifying the starter at LT and building OL depth;

2.  Slot receiver - Ryan needs a quick hit, underneath guy;

Of some concern:

1.   Additional CB depth;

2.  Another situational pass rusher.

Overall, I'm pleased with what we are moving into the 2022 season with...much more than what we ended 2021 with.

I would suggest that because of the rules, slot receivers are a dying breed!

And that is because of the pick (3 wide to a side) play, and the use of TE.

We now have 3 TE's that should be capable of giving us good contribution as a unit, in the passing game. Campbell, Hines and JT will also do well.

TODAY, we have 9-11 pass catchers that i believe Frank will trust.
   Not counting Coutee as one of those. 

18 hours ago, Carolina Colt said:

OL depth and slot wide receiver are both needs the the Colts should want to address whenever they get the chance.  I get a feeling that the Colts will sign a free agent or two to supplement the offensive line while the slot receiver position will be handled with someone that is already in house or they will possibly resign T.Y. Hilton.

A solid LT is a main key to  Ryan's success, if Pryor is not up to the task , we will need someone better.  Raimann will need some time to grow into that position.

4 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo the biggest need for this team is for Reich to relinquish the play calling duties. 

My hope is that Ryan will be trusted with more audibles, etc. Getting the playcalling into Marcus Brady's hands would be better for all. It's just too much for a HC to think about during the week and in the game.

27 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

My hope is that Ryan will be trusted with more audibles, etc. Getting the playcalling into Marcus Brady's hands would be better for all. It's just too much for a HC to think about during the week and in the game.

You have to wonder just how much Wentz’ shortcomings played into Frank’s play calling. I’m assuming quite a bit. Not to mention how often Wentz audibled and screwed up the play. 
Reich won’t give up the play calling, at least not yet. So having a competent QB holding the reins should make Frank’s play calling look far better.

Our biggest need is for the season to get here!!!!!! Can't wait for some football. While I think CB and co. have done a nice job filling the holes in the roster, I think some additional depth signings at OL, DL, WR and CB would be helpful.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I would suggest that because of the rules, slot receivers are a dying breed!

And that is because of the pick (3 wide to a side) play, and the use of TE.

We now have 3 TE's that should be capable of giving us good contribution as a unit, in the passing game. Campbell, Hines and JT will also do well.

TODAY, we have 9-11 pass catchers that i believe Frank will trust.
   Not counting Coutee as one of those. 

I'm not sure where you are getting this idea.  There are different kinds of slot guys now if that is what you mean. But they all have to present a target quickly from off the line of scrimmage, whether it be with quickness, speed, power, size, or whatever combination. 

"The slot receiver has become an increasingly important position in NFL offenses. The last few seasons the importance of slot receivers has increased even more. Now receivers that line up in the slot are targeted more than in any other alignment, and those passes are the most effective, with higher yards per target and a higher passer rating than targets to outside receivers, in-line tight ends or receivers coming out of the backfield." 

This is from an article from before last season, so maybe if they died in the last two years, but i certainly didn't notice. 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:27 PM, BProland85 said:

After looking over this roster, I believe the biggest need post draft for the Colts is slot WR. Yes the Colts should have 2 dependable WRs on the outside with MPJ and Pierce. But after that, there are question marks with Parris, Dulin, Strahan, etc. Matt Ryan could use a quick shifty underneath WR in the slot who can get open quickly, unless the plan is to use Nyheim Hines in that role. What do you see as the Colts biggest need post draft?

Cornerback. Facyson to me is a question mark and I hope that Gilmore and Moore stay healthy all season. 

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

I'm not sure where you are getting this idea.  There are different kinds of slot guys now if that is what you mean. But they all have to present a target quickly from off the line of scrimmage, whether it be with quickness, speed, power, size, or whatever combination. 

"The slot receiver has become an increasingly important position in NFL offenses. The last few seasons the importance of slot receivers has increased even more. Now receivers that line up in the slot are targeted more than in any other alignment, and those passes are the most effective, with higher yards per target and a higher passer rating than targets to outside receivers, in-line tight ends or receivers coming out of the backfield." 

This is from an article from before last season, so maybe if they died in the last two years, but i certainly didn't notice. 

Yep, 100% agree. Coming off an MVP season for the best slot WR in the league in Kupp, that comment wasn’t well thought out. 

While slot WRs like Welker, Edelman, Kupp that read Ds well don’t come around often, our own Stokely, Collie etc. history should have showed how important they are for the seam routes, even Dallas Clark was used as such a mismatch like a slot WR.

Good OCs like Tom Moore, McDaniels, McVay, Reich move them around anyways, so having that versatile slot is very important.

3 hours ago, Hammer said:

WR. Pierce's YAC is a paltry 3.7 yds. This does not indicate being able to gain much separation. Very concerning to me.

Have you watched the passes from ridder. Pierce had to come back to the ball to catch in traffic most the time due to the ball being  thrown short alot

3 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Pryor has two NFL starts at LT. Raimann has zero. That's not much difference. 

However, Pryor has started 15 games in the NFL. He has 3 years in the league with weight rooms, coaching, scheming , and dietary direction. Bernhard may very well turn out to be a good pro. I think he will. Your comment, however, does not reflect who Matt is and what he has accomplished. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PryoMa00.htm

7 hours ago, Hammer said:

WR. Pierce's YAC is a paltry 3.7 yds. This does not indicate being able to gain much separation. Very concerning to me.

Look at some of his highlights and how many times he was open but Ridder missed him, underthrew him, overthrew him, etc.. Nothing to be concerned about IMO.

You should watch his tape. He runs by all of them. THAT IS separation.
  In the NFL, effective pick plays and ball placement primarily determines YAC. He will smoke them.

That is probably because of both the lack of separation and the fact that agility is not Pierce's forte either.  It will be important for Wayne and the wide receiver coaches to work with Pierce and teach him how to use his speed and route running to get the needed separation he needs from defenders to get more open and to gain more yards after the catch.

Archived