Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts biggest need post draft

BProland85

After looking over this roster, I believe the biggest need post draft for the Colts is slot WR. Yes the Colts should have 2 dependable WRs on the outside with MPJ and Pierce. But after that, there are question marks with Parris, Dulin, Strahan, etc. Matt Ryan could use a quick shifty underneath WR in the slot who can get open quickly, unless the plan is to use Nyheim Hines in that role. What do you see as the Colts biggest need post draft?

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

After looking over this roster, I believe the biggest need post draft for the Colts is slot WR. Yes the Colts should have 2 dependable WRs on the outside with MPJ and Pierce. But after that, there are question marks with Parris, Dulin, Strahan, etc. Matt Ryan could use a quick shifty underneath WR in the slot who can get open quickly, unless the plan is to use Nyheim Hines in that role. What do you see as the Colts biggest need post draft?

They have been grooming DeMichael Harris for just your need.

6 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

OL depth is my immediate gut response to this. We are good with starting 5, but as soon as we get any injuries, ooof.

I totally agree. Look for a veteran backup Guard/Center type to be signed if one is out there. That is a glaring need IMO. 

OL depth and slot wide receiver are both needs the the Colts should want to address whenever they get the chance.  I get a feeling that the Colts will sign a free agent or two to supplement the offensive line while the slot receiver position will be handled with someone that is already in house or they will possibly resign T.Y. Hilton.

I think that Nyheim Hines will get reps at the slot receiver.

My one and only concern is offensive line depth - but - we picked up a number of UDFA's who may end up in those roles vacated by some of our veteran players.  That's how to balance the roster in the face of the salary cap - lower cap hits by back up players.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Jarvis Landry would be the perfect veteran security blanket in the slot for Matt Ryan.  I certainly can see Hines catching more balls out of the backfield this year with Ryan as the quarterback.  But asking him to be a slot receiver and JT’s primary backup is too risky for me.  I like him where he is right now just throw him the ball a little more.  I think a reliable veteran in the slot makes more sense.  

I hope the plan to use Hines in the slot comes to fruition...he is a weapon, utilize him.

I believe better depth at IOL is needed.  As well as a backup 1 tech.

I would feel better with someone other than Sam as a backup at QB, if we are truly, "all in".

Just now, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I hope the plan to use Hines in the slot comes to fruition...he is a weapon, utilize him.

I believe better depth at IOL is needed.  As well as a backup 1 tech.

I would feel better with someone other than Sam as a backup at QB, if we are truly, "all in".

Couldn't agree more on Sam.

I think they’ll have TY on speed dial if they don’t like the looks at slot. 

To me the biggest need is CB.  Gilmore didn’t get younger, and except for Moore there’s a lot of talented but unproven guys.  

Oline depth is as a big of a need too.   But no team has all the parts.  

Maybe the biggest need is luck in staying healthy.

30 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I'm still concerned with Cover 3 FS in Gus Bradley's scheme. 

I’m not sold on any of the Ss on the roster playing it. But I think the initial plan will be to have McLeod back there.

Cross certainly has the athleticism, but there are questions about his ability in coverage. I wonder if he will be the Kam Chancellor role.

32 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think they’ll have TY on speed dial if they don’t like the looks at slot. 

To me the biggest need is CB.  Gilmore didn’t get younger, and except for Moore there’s a lot of talented but unproven guys.  

Oline depth is as a big of a need too.   But no team has all the parts.  

Maybe the biggest need is luck in staying healthy.

Just read where the Giants are expected to release Bradberry by the end of the week after unsuccessful attempts to trade him.  Many of us here were hoping we would trade for him.  Looks like Ballard will have his chance if he’s interested.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Ive always liked Harris he wasnt a fit with Wentz but with Ryan he could have a decent season if he can beat out Coutee. 

These are the two guys I have in mind for wr5. Parris should be the 2 or 3. We definitely have good size with the 1st team offense, hopefully we can play some bully ball.

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Would i like to have a backup QB that i firmly believed could start and win?

Yes.   

IMHO it was a big mistake not to play Sam E. in the second half of the last Jags game.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I’m not sold on any of the Ss on the roster playing it. But I think the initial plan will be to have McLeod back there.

Cross certainly has the athleticism, but there are questions about his ability in coverage. I wonder if he will be the Kam Chancellor role.

Seems like we have more SS types or C2 FS types than single high guys.

Some teams are going to squad safeties.  Thomas wants to play again.  He’s old but not ancient for a S, and had his problems but says he’s ready.  He couldn’t command too much salary.  Haven’t seen anything else on him since an article a couple weeks ago.

He was arguably the best player on Bradley’s Legion of Boom.  

I can see slot receiver potentially being a need next season as well but have no fear their should be a few names available in both FA and the draft.

Look at N'Keal Harry (Patriots) or David Moore (Bears) in FA and receivers Josh Downs (NC), Jaxon Smith-Njigba (OSU), or Nathaniel Dell (UH) in the draft.

Veteran OL depth. We got a good depth piece in UDFA Ryan Van Demark and a possible future LT in Raimann, but I feel we need some veteran depth as well. 

It’s just about depth in general really in my opinion. Could use a good CB in case Gilmore gets hurt and maybe a veteran WR to guide the young guys.

We don’t have huge needs at starter positions though. 

I feel pretty good where things are at.  Slot is a question mark to some but Ballard has said Hines will get more reps there this year.  They have Hines, Campbell, Coutee, and Harris as slot options with TY on speed dial. 

A piece could be added for oline depth. They have 7 solid olineman and about 5 quality UDFA’s so it would be nice to add a vet but it’s good guys like Pryor, Pinter, Raimann, and Fries can play multiple spots. 

There’s a valid case for backup QB but the coaches raved about how well Ehlinger knew the offense. 

There are a lot of safeties competing. I think Ballard has done an excellent job making sure they don’t wind up in a Sandejo situation again. 

I would say:

1.) Backup QB. Get a veteran like Nick Foles to back up Matt Ryan

2.) Veteran WR. Get Hilton or Julio to join the young group of WRs. Just don't overuse them over receivers that earn more playing time because of the name and veteran status.

3.) Veteran EDGE. Get a guy who can be a no4 option on the team and possibly make the team. Don't necessarily trust Lewis and Banogu.

4.) Backup CB. We don't have a definite no5 CB, and we didn't draft one besides our 7th rounder. Get James Bradberry if possible and the CB room will be a HUGE strength.

These are my thoughts in no particular order.

Archived