Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final 2022 Draft Grade

GoHorse1992

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

grade D, ballard seemed to draft for position of need to fill weakness his method has created. some better talent was available that he passed on to fill the teams need with just average talent

Was Cross a position of need? No, but he was the BPA on Ballards board and probably a 2nd round pick next year. Gave up next years 3rd rounder to move up and get him.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what I was thinking. We basically got Matt Ryan for Carson Wentz and just a 1st round pick which would've been 15th. We got our 3rd round pick back and used the other 3rd to get Matt lmao 

I understand why some don’t factor trades in.  I considered Buckner part of the draft class when we traded for him. To cherry pick the negative was a bogus move to decide a grade

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I understand why some don’t factor trades in.  I considered Buckner part of the draft class when we traded for him. To cherry pick the negative was a bogus move to decide a grade

I agree 100%. When we got Defo I looked at it as, we drafted him 13th. The same people that give us a bad grade for the Wentz deal, then to need to give us credit for getting Matt Ryan. Can't have it both ways.

11 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If I wanted to get Chintzy about it, I could say we drafted Matt Ryan in the 3rd round which makes this draft an A lmao 

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

NFL Network gave us a C. The lowest grade of all teams. However, they factored the Wentz trade and losing our #1 this year. 

ESPN’s Louis Riddick said the Colts “nailed it” and had the best draft by filling needs and providing some decent backup players. So, go figure…

https://www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2022/5/1/23052467/espns-louis-riddick-believes-the-colts-not-only-have-won-the-2022-nfl-draft-but-all-offseason

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Then they need to factor in Matt Ryan 

23 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

ESPN’s Louis Riddick said the Colts “nailed it” and had the best draft by filling needs and providing some decent backup players. So, go figure…

https://www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2022/5/1/23052467/espns-louis-riddick-believes-the-colts-not-only-have-won-the-2022-nfl-draft-but-all-offseason

For the record, I do not agree with NFL Network with their round 1 grade.

15 minutes ago, open window said:

Kool Aid Summer GIFI’m drinking it in, it’s sweet and blue, mountain berry punch ish. All hail Chris “sleepy head” Ballard. Still interested in Duane Brown I hope.

Highly doubtful.  They got one of the big six tackles in the draft plus they were comfortable with the idea of Pryor starting before the draft.  I don’t think they are adding Brown.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Highly doubtful.  They got one of the big six tackles in the draft plus they were comfortable with the idea of Pryor starting before the draft.  I don’t think they are adding Brown.

Yup….  I suspect you’re right.   And I say that as someone who has been banging the drum loudly for Brown, or even a return of Fisher, or even Dennis Kelly?   Just some veteran.  

I think Kelly might still be possible.  A veteran on a near vet minimum contract plus modest incentives wouldn’t be hard on the cap and I think he can play either tackle spot. 

11 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

It’s al subjective at this point. Until any of these off season moves actually take the field, there’s no way anyone can actually grade it out. 

On 4/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

I loved the RAS strategy and it gives this draft even more upside than it already had. Combining need with upside adds a new layer to our draft, and this is how you can possibly duplicate the 2018 draft again. So I loved the day 2 picks.

The day 3 picks were so-so. I thought it was more need and upside vs value which you could of gotten more of at that point. However, there is still huge upside to the picks. I'm all for the strategy, and going all-out on the RAS scores makes it so if we hit BIG on even two or three of the picks, it could turn into a few 10 year starters.

The UDFA period is also ridiculously good. We managed to get a lot of players so far that should of been drafted and can possibly make the team. We have so many ways to improve the team heavily that I don't see a way that this draft isn't a success in some way. My favorite draft since 2018.

Grade A+

5cK.gif

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I wanted to get Chintzy about it, I could say we drafted Matt Ryan in the 3rd round which makes this draft an A lmao 

I had forgotten about that.   It certainly raises our grade, but giving our 1st rounder for a player not on the team equals it out.   

I'd still give the team a B- in this draft.  

I think draft grades shouldn’t really reflect trades made earlier in the off-season (or a year ago, in Wentz’s case).  They should be how well you did with the picks you had to work with.  If you add veteran players or picks on draft day through trade - absolutely, factor those into the grades for this draft, though.

That being said, I give us a B+.  Not a lot of stars there, but some very important roster holes were well filled.  The only pick I hated was Ogletree.  My next least favorite pick was Pierce.  I saw his pro comp somewhere as MPJ, who I thought was very similar to Patmon two years ago.  Factor in Strachan being similar and we missed an opportunity to diversify our WR corps.

Conversely, I absolutely loved the Curtis Brooks pick, and I thought that all three 3rd rounders were fantastic uses of those selections…

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what I was thinking. We basically got Matt Ryan for Carson Wentz and just a 1st round pick which would've been 15th. We got our 3rd round pick back and used the other 3rd to get Matt lmao 

In the end we lost a high QST round pick this year. Image what the Colts could have gotten with that? Look at every player past 16th pick. Could have had a top graded corner. Oh well. Time to move on

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

In the end we lost a high QST round pick this year. Image what the Colts could have gotten with that? Look at every player past 16th pick. Could have had a top graded corner. Oh well. Time to move on

What IF ENDED immediately AFTER the trade for Wentz. Done. Finished.

The same with this draft. These ARE our players. It has turned out GREAT! 

LOL YOU moving on.

Prior to the draft I wanted big weapons for this offense to help out a QB who is fighting father time.  Ballard went a bit further with three picks.  Pierce is a chain mover, good sized receiver who will immediately help the offense.  Woods looks like a giraffe running around out there, always looks almost awkward to me, but somehow he's effective.  He might help quickly but chances are as TE he'll be better year 2+.  Ogletree is more of a project but not as much as gets talked about.  Ogletree was CB doubling up to ensure he finds a big rangy pass target TE.

Also wanted a LT, though I didn't expect Chris to find one.  But he might have found one in Raimann.  This guy really moves well.  Probably a bit of a project.

I would have went after a corner in this draft simply because you can't have enough of them and I loved this class.  But getting a big safety who can move like Cross is very nice.  And Cross happens to be one of my favorite prospects in this class so happy with him.

To me this looks like another Ballard draft.  Smart and specific to what he wants to do, which in this case was to add size to the passing game.

This is why I always take a talking heads evaluation of a Colts draft with a grain of salt…..

“A wide receiver like Skyy Moore, who was still on the board at Pick No. 53, might have been a better fit here, but Alec Pierce does still address a glaring hole at wide receiver.”

So the front office from scouts to coaches all the way up to the GM went and personally scouted Pierce and apparently they still got it wrong? Doesn’t matter if they think Pierce fits what they are looking for in a Z than Moore…..

I still wonder why they insist on pushing their own narrative?

Archived