Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle

Smonroe

16 hours ago, Archer said:

Yeah, you can waste a lot of resources with half measures in the draft.  We need a LT, but we don't have a 1st round pick.  That's something that needs to be done right with a 1st round pick.  In the meantime, I expect we make due with Pryor, rather than throwing a 2nd rounder at someone who may have more potential than Pryor, but is still not likely to become an average LT in this league.  We had one of the better OLs in the league with Fisher struggling at LT for much of the year, so Pryor can work too.  It is a deep OT class, so I think some depth later on would be totally appropriate.  But I don't see anyone who would take that starter spot this year...

breaking bad no more half measures GIF

Funny, Terron Armstead was a 3rd round pick and just made somefat cash. Tons of folks wanting him to sign here.

16 hours ago, Archer said:

Yeah, you can waste a lot of resources with half measures in the draft.  We need a LT, but we don't have a 1st round pick.  That's something that needs to be done right with a 1st round pick.  In the meantime, I expect we make due with Pryor, rather than throwing a 2nd rounder at someone who may have more potential than Pryor, but is still not likely to become an average LT in this league.  We had one of the better OLs in the league with Fisher struggling at LT for much of the year, so Pryor can work too.  It is a deep OT class, so I think some depth later on would be totally appropriate.  But I don't see anyone who would take that starter spot this year...

breaking bad no more half measures GIF

Funny, Terron Armstead was a 3rd round pick and just made somfat cash. Tons of folks wanting him to sign here.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tackles on the Colts roster right now:

Matt Pryor- assumed starter for now. TCU starter. Limited experience for Philadelphia and Colts.

Jordon Murray-Hamilton TigerCats (Champions)  starter in Canada. North Texas University 

Will Fries- starter for Penn St, 2nd yr Colt

Carter ODonnell- starter in Canada, college in Canada. 3rd yr with Colts

Shon Coleman- had 23  games for Cleveland. 30 yrs old- Auburn Grad. 5 yrs in NFL.

All are sizable. All have SOME experience. But none except maybe Coleman and Pryor have NFL experience at Tackle.

I've always thought that we would be obliged to take the "Just let Pryor gut it out" route.  Check my Hammonds Plan post from January.  I mean, seriously, what are our choices?

Sign Terron Armstead to a ginormous contract

(OMG!  How much money do you intend to spend on the offensive line anyhow?  Also, don't you know this guy has been on the field as much as Parris Campbell?  What's wrong with you anyway?)

Sign Eric Fisher

(OMG!  Haven't you had enough?  You already failed the first time with him, and now you're coming back for seconds?)

Draft Bernhard Raimann out of Central Michigan with our 2nd round pick and start him immediately

(OMG!  He's not ready to start in the NFL!  What are you, stupid?  Didn't you know that only top 10 picks at LT have a chance at starting right away?  You gonna put your QB's fate in the hands of an untested rookie?)

It was gonna be Pryor.  Give him his helmet and his lunch bucket, and let him go to work.  While we perhaps draft a Raimann or a Petit-Frere, and get him trained up.  Go work, boy.

9 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

It was gonna be Pryor.  Give him his helmet and his lunch bucket, and let him go to work.  While we perhaps draft a Raimann or a Petit-Frere, and get him trained up.  Go work, boy.

Ballard has to draft a future LT, he can't continue to neglect that position.  As @jimmy g pointed out, very few of the T's on the roster have experience at LT.  I think the entire group has maybe 2 starts in the NFL and not many more in college.

I doubt we go into the season with that kind of depth.  If Fisher isn't signed by camp, I bet he comes back.  

Kevin Bowen likes to repeat a line from Joe Reitz, I think it's something like - Linemen are made, Left Tackles are born.

On 3/23/2022 at 9:11 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, sometimes rookies earn a position. That is life. We just have to wait and see. Heck fire, who knows, Will Fries may be a big surprise. I like what i saw in him as a G/C. We have time to add a vet. 

Ballard, his entire personnel dept, our coaches, are all grinding to find that one more piece for the LT position. And boneheads here act like we are done, screwed. What the ___ is wrong with you people?

Personally, I LIKE "With Fries" (see what I did there?)

Does anyone else think it is strange that the media keeps saying how incredible our OL is without a left tackle?  Great pieces without the most important part.  What really boils my bacon is podcasters saying we should go cheap at LT because we have so much invested at guard and center.  What the heck?  I know we aren't supposed to say move Nelson, but wouldn't he be better than anything we can pull off the street?  Guards are costing more and more, but Nelson and Smith at tackles with Pryor as backup sounds pretty amazing.  Pryor could start at one guard spot while backing up both tackles.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Fisher may be better this year.  Sometimes it takes more than a year to recover from an Achilles injury.

Depends on how things happened between him and Ballard. Let us hope all Ballard told him was to feel the market and come back to him with an offer to match. If that were the case, Fisher may be back. If they could not see eye to eye on a number already discussed, I doubt he will be back. Jake Scott, I remember went to the Titans when Polian was willing to match the same number after the 2007 season but he was mad Polian would not one up the Titans offer. It happens.

I rewatched Pryor vs Yannick this past season and he did OK. The fact he got a 77 rating PFF as right, left and guard means that he is extremely versatile. He did not look bad as a left tacke and at 26 years old he seems like his availability is good. Since this was his first year he might improve even further as a LT. I think Ballard is basically naming him LT starter. Pinter covers Guard and Center and you have Pryor to cover Right and Left Tackles. Ballard might resign Chris Reed or he just might draft two more OL.  This is a deep draft for OL. 

13 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I rewatched Pryor vs Yannick this past season and he did OK. The fact he got a 77 rating PFF as right, left and guard means that he is extremely versatile. He did not look bad as a left tacke and at 26 years old he seems like his availability is good. Since this was his first year he might improve even further as a LT. I think Ballard is basically naming him LT starter. Pinter covers Guard and Center and you have Pryor to cover Right and Left Tackles. Ballard might resign Chris Reed or he just might draft two more OL.  This is a deep draft for OL. 

If Pryor is the starting LT we need another swing tackle. Ballard said he did outstanding on the raiders game. Maybe we draft and Pryor and that guy compete. Or the guy we draft is the new backup tackle.

I think we're in deep doo-doo and I hope they prove me wrong. If he comes cheaply enough, Fischer is worth the flyer. And we haven't replaced 'ski at OG. This OL is in very real danger of going from one of the league's best (when healthy) to one of the worst.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:20 PM, richard pallo said:

Hopefully we tell Armstead’s agent about the trade for Ryan.  It could hold him up signing with Miami and give us a chance to get him.  If that fails I think Fisher and Ballard work things out.

Hard pass on Fisher, good run blocker, but watching him get pushed around like hes on roller skates in pass blocking, well was hard to watch after watching Catozono all these years!fail roller derby GIF by @SummerBreak

On 3/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, AustexColt said:

Hopefully it doesn't mean Yannick isn't that good.

Doubtful we're going after Duane Brown now given Ballards comments about Pryor getting the first kick of the can. I can totally see us taking our future LT this draft. Wouldn't surprise me at all, I could even see it being at #42. Though it would tick alot of people off.

On 3/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hopefully it doesn't mean Yannick isn't that good.

LMAO. You are so full of IT.
  Children, this player has a RECORD established over years that makes his point intellectually inferior. 

And kids, it is a bad thing to become known for this. So STUDY STUDY!

On 3/24/2022 at 10:44 PM, jonjon said:

I think we're in deep doo-doo and I hope they prove me wrong. If he comes cheaply enough, Fischer is worth the flyer. And we haven't replaced 'ski at OG. This OL is in very real danger of going from one of the league's best (when healthy) to one of the worst.

Glow played good for 4-6 games a year, usually at the start of the season.  And just ok the rest of the time. A younger, healthier Pinter should be an Upgrade over 17 games. So No loss there.

Fries consistently knocks guys off the line, he shows good promise as a g/c.

We signed Shon Coleman in the off season and he can be good depth at RT.
 Ballard will add another vet for the interior and draft a LT, then those who worry will have some other position to fret over.

53 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Doubtful we're going after Duane Brown now given Ballards comments about Pryor getting the first kick of the can. I can totally see us taking our future LT this draft. Wouldn't surprise me at all, I could even see it being at #42. Though it would tick alot of people off.

Yeah if Pryor sucks, Ballard is going to have a lot of egg on his face. And Ryan is going to have a lot of defenders in his.

3 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

It shouldn’t tick people off.  The position has been neglected since AC said he first thought about retirement.  The second most important position on offense should not be an afterthought.

I totally understand not overdrafting in an attempt to fill a need, but he could have found someone to groom in the 2nd or 3rd.   

As far as Pryor getting the first shot, that’s great as long as there’s someone to compete with him.  I’m still guessing they get Fisher back at some point.  

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It shouldn’t tick people off.  The position has been neglected since AC said he first thought about retirement.  The second most important position on offense should not be an afterthought.

Exactly. Luck, David Carr, Burrow, how many glaring examples do GMs need before this sinks in their head. If you have a great QB, your next priority is the OL. Period. I don't care what your other needs are. 

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Glow played good for 4-6 games a year, usually at the start of the season.  And just ok the rest of the time. A younger, healthier Pinter should be an Upgrade over 17 games. So No loss there.

Ballard will add another vet for the interior and draft a LT, then those who worry will have some other position to fret over.

I really like Coleman, he beat Leukemia ......guy is a fighter and we may have a diamond in the rough

3 hours ago, jonjon said:

Exactly. Luck, David Carr, Burrow, how many glaring examples do GMs need before this sinks in their head. If you have a great QB, your next priority is the OL. Period. I don't care what your other needs are. 

Baĺlardxhas hit on moat of his picks at OLine. He has double downed on Dline because of his whiffs and that has impacted his pursuit of a LT. I have been a critic or him but I think he is having a good off season

Yeah but he's only drafted a few and Nelson was a no-brainer. Glad to give him a pass on the late-round picks, which typically don't work out anyway. My point is Costanzo is gone and he hasn't done jack to replace him. Our line is both iffy AND thin and Ryan isn't exactly known for scrambling, even in his prime. 

With the exception of Ryan, I think we're having a very weak off season. Not sure what you see good about not addressing key weaknesses.

12 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Glow actually played his best down the stretch. He's underrated. 

I love Pinter's potential. He sure showed he could play center. He's still evolving. 

Not overly impressed with Fries. He's young though. 

IMO, we would have been better off trading Kelly, starting Pinter at C, and resigning Glow. Better financially and draft capital wise, and production wise. 

Armstead's making roughly 13M a year, turned out to be a decent deal.

The Colts really must be invested in Pryor. Good for CB. Competition will probably come in the draft, there're decent tackle options available late. Teaching will be the key.

10 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Armstead's making roughly 13M a year, turned out to be a decent deal.

The Colts really must be invested in Pryor. Good for CB. Competition will probably come in the draft, there're decent tackle options available late. Teaching will be the key.

It better come from somewhere.  Pryor most likely will miss a game this season.  There's no one on the roster right now that has much experience to replace him.

14 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I am preparing for Pryor at LT.   And I am good with that.   Actually I am pretty happy about it.   Good for him.  Apparently in the eyes of the FO he has earned it. 

I think that they MAY get a developmental LT in draft, then watch the preseason, to see if the new kid can play

We also have the kid from Canada that is getting looked at 

If in the middle of the camp, they dont feel comfortable with the depth, you might see a vet LT that has been cut

Still plenty of options for depth

My VERY long shot depth guy at LT is Jordan Murray - 6'9"

But...... there will be some June 1 cuts as well as some final cuts where depth can be found...... In addition to pickups in mid round in NFL draft

11 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think that they MAY get a developmental LT in draft, then watch the preseason, to see if the new kid can play

We also have the kid from Canada that is getting looked at 

If in the middle of the camp, they dont feel comfortable with the depth, you might see a vet LT that has been cut

Still plenty of options for depth

My VERY long shot depth guy at LT is Jordan Murray - 6'9"

But...... there will be some June 1 cuts as well as some final cuts where depth can be found...... In addition to pickups in mid round in NFL draft

We have 2 Canadian kids at Tackle now....O'Donnell who may be in a show or go season after developing for 2 years and Murray as you mentioned who has size you cant teach. Im pulling for Shon Coleman, guy beat leukemia in college, 16 starts in 2017 for the Browns. 

Archived