Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle

Smonroe

Now that we have that pesky QB situation completed, the dominoes should start falling.

I can't imagine we'll go into the season with Matt Pryor as the starter.  He may get there eventually, but I think he's really good depth at best.

Will we find a FA or get one in the draft?  If either, who are you looking at?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it’s either Fisher, Armstead, or Pryor. Most likely, it’s Pryor 

They need to make a move for Armstead. The trading of Ryan and the talent at the other Oline positions are for not if you are not solid at the most important position; LT. They proved that last year. To me it is like having a plethora of weapons and a crappy qb lol

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I think I'd like Duane Brown for a bargain deal as he is older. Then in the 2022 draft you could get someone with your 2nd or 3rd round pick at LT.

Sadly, quality LT are usually found high in the 1st round.  I am a little concerned about spending a 2nd or 3d on a project when your starting LT is Pryor. You do that in a case like Castanzo

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They need to make a move for Armstead. The trading of Ryan and the talent at the other Oline positions are for not if you are not solid at the most important position; LT. They proved that last year. To me it is like having a plethora of weapons and a crappy qb lol

A healthy Armstead would give us one of the top 3 best O Lines in the league.  Not going to be cheap. 

He's visiting Miami, right?

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

A healthy Armstead would give us one of the top 3 best O Lines in the league.  Not going to be cheap. 

He's visiting Miami, right?

Armstead should give you the best Oline in football running away. I think there were a lo of factors that lead to the Oline's regression last year. Guys injured in camp, Wentz's play and just never seemed to get  on the same page.

I think Pryor and a rookie compete for LT...

LT is now our biggest need since we signed Matt Ryan

edit: Fisher had a BAD year in pass pro.  Are we sure that's where we want to go to protect a less mobile Ryan?

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Hopefully we tell Armstead’s agent about the trade for Ryan.  It could hold him up signing with Miami and give us a chance to get him.  If that fails I think Fisher and Ballard work things out.

I think that is why it was important to get Ryan signed. It makes Indy attractive to guys like Armstead. Wouldnt a guy like Armstead want to play on this Oline beside Nelson? Lets see how much value Nelson truly has

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think that is why it was important to get Ryan signed. It makes Indy attractive to guys like Armstead. Wouldnt a guy like Armstead want to play on this Oline beside Nelson? Lets see how much value Nelson truly has

I don't think we have the cap for Armstead at this point. Although he would be my first choice too. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think Pryor and a rookie compete for LT...

LT is now our biggest need since we signed Matt Ryan

edit: Fisher had a BAD year in pass pro.  Are we sure that's where we want to go to protect a less mobile Ryan?

If you look at the history of starting LT, it is probably the position behind of qbs, not far, where success is determined by it being a very high pick. 2nd rounders would be a project and most  likely would not be competing for a starting position.

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think we have the cap for Armstead at this point. Although he would be my first choice too. 

he probably wants around 18 or so. Not sure if Colts could afford him but could make it work as we dont have a 1st rounder to worry about

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah, if Armstead is healthy, open the checkbook.  Ryan’s a graybeard.  We need to keep him vertical or we’re cooked.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If you look at the history of starting LT, it is probably the position behind of qbs, not far, where success is determined by it being a very high pick. 2nd rounders would be a project and most  likely would not be competing for a starting position.

he probably wants around 18 or so. Not sure if Colts could afford him but could make it work as we dont have a 1st rounder to worry about

i don't agree on the 2nd round  LTs being projects this year.  OT is stacked in this draft.  Also, I'm fine with drafting a LT and letting him sit behind Pryor if Pryor legit beats them out.  

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, if Armstead is healthy, open the checkbook.  Ryan’s a graybeard.  We need to keep him vertical or we’re cooked.

we definitely don't have the cap for Armstead at this point. 

We would have to redo some contracts or trade someone.  I don't see either happening. 

25 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it’s either Fisher, Armstead, or Pryor. Most likely, it’s Pryor 

I think at this point we need to go for the bargain we don’t have enough cap space to get big name guy with Nelson extension on the horizon and armstead might command 20m we have 16m right now I think Duane Brown might be a option still playing at starter level

7 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

They check book is thin after giving money to Franklin and a couple more of them questionable signings 

We would have to redo some contracts or trade someone.  I don't see either happening. 

I think the cap can be manipulated.  Ryan is actually cheap when compared to other starters.

If we get Armstead, that's a whole lot of money committed to the line. This draft has some decent tackle prospects down to probably the 4th round. LT is extremely important but getting Pryor gives them leverage. Ballard will set a price and not go over it....basically Armstead will likely end up elsewhere IF he has serious options UNLESS he wants to take less money to come play with Ryan and JT.

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Where there’s a will, there’s (often, anyway) a way.

I think we’d regret sticking Ryan out there with Fisher or Pryor.

The LTs in the draft have good college experience and size, but their arm length is not up to NFL standards.  Abraham Lucas out of Wash St still tested well and could be there at 42 or lower.

I think Armstead goes to MIA.   Sounds like Fisher is done here, but you never know.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think the cap can be manipulated.  Ryan is actually cheap when compared to other starters.

nah bro we legit only have like 15M left according to sportsrac. 

Just now, DougDew said:

The LTs in the draft have good college experience and size, but their arm length is not up to NFL standards.  Abraham Lucas still out of Wash St still tested well and could be there at 42 or lower.

I think Armstead goes to MIA.   Sounds like Fisher is done here, but you never know.

i don't think its crazy to think we get our LT this year, and our QB next year.  even if the LT sits this year. 

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

We can also trim some cap with the right trades.

who would you trade?  seems to me they won't trade any veteran difference makers at this point.  I say this because they just traded for a vertan QB in a win now window... which to me makes it seem like they're trying to go this year.  which means you can't trade your big name guys, and that's where the cap is sitting 

Based off what is left in FA I would roll it back with Fisher. He knows the system, he and Nelson have played next to each other AND he is another year removed from surgery.

He would have the advantage of a full training camp and pre-season as well.

Plus, he would fit under the salary cap and would still allow us to draft a project OT this year to groom.

I said what I said......lol

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not to mention we are in a winnable division that would get us into the playoffs versus Miami’s situation with the Bills and Patriots to battle.  Hopefully he gives us a chance.

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Based off what is left in FA I would roll it back with Fisher. He knows the system, he and Nelson have played next to each other AND he is another year removed from surgery.

He would have the advantage of a full training camp and pre-season as well.

Plus, he would fit under the salary cap and would still allow us to draft a project OT this year to groom.

I said what I said......lol

Plan B if Armstead signs with Miami.

7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

nah bro we legit only have like 15M left according to sportsrac. 

According to that, Miami only has about 20.  So they'd stretch it too.

There's always ways to manipulate the caps - isn't it based on a 5 year average?  In effect, you can be over this year if you've been under previously years, right?  (I'm not that savvy on how that works.)

How about what the Browns did with Watson - make his salary $1M, with the rest guarenteed.

12 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

i don't think its crazy to think we get our LT this year, and our QB next year.  even if the LT sits this year. 

who would you trade?  seems to me they won't trade any veteran difference makers at this point.  I say this because they just traded for a vertan QB in a win now window... which to me makes it seem like they're trying to go this year.  which means you can't trade your big name guys, and that's where the cap is sitting 

We’re not going to win much now if we don’t keep our new pocket quarterback well protected.  Fisher was obviously awful at pass pro.  It cannot be him.  Pryor is better, I guess.  But that’s not saying much.

If Ballard wants to sign Armstead, he can figure out a way to do it.  And I think he needs to.

I’d just as soon they put Pryor at RT and trade Smith.  That would free up some cap.  We could trade Kelly, too.  Pinter isn’t much of a drop off, but he’s a lot cheaper.

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

According to that, Miami only has about 20.  So they'd stretch it too.

There's always ways to manipulate the caps - isn't it based on a 5 year average?  In effect, you can be over this year if you've been under previously years, right?  (I'm not that savvy on how that works.)

How about what the Browns did with Watson - make his salary $1M, with the rest guarenteed.

yeah but the Colts haven't had a history, recent or not of doing that.  

i agree that we should be taking a closer look at that, and ballard was asked about that in his presser at the combine.  basically what he said was something like " we are looking into it, and then basically hinted that teams will have to pay eventually in one way or another" im paraphrasing but I'll try and link the interview here. 

edit: im wrong about the presser he said it in.  it was during an interview with a radio host, but the colts media page has uploaded a lot more videos than they used to and it's been a struggle going back to find the interview. 

After this trade I would go hard after MVS and Keelan Cole at WR to bolster that room especially since old-reliable Zack Pascal signed with Philly. Additionally, Chris Herndon is still out there at TE who is a really athletic pass catcher (when healthy).

Tre Flowers at CB.

Eric Fisher at LT.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

We’re not going to win much now if we don’t keep our new pocket quarterback well protected.  Fisher was obviously awful at pass pro.  It cannot be him.  Pryor is better, I guess.  But that’s not saying much.

If Ballard wants to sign Armstead, he can figure out a way to do it.  And I think he needs to.

I’d just as soon they put Pryor at RT and trade Smith.  That would free up some cap.

they would play smith at LT before he gets traded.  There's no way they trade one of the best RT in football. 

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

After this trade I would go hard after MVS and Keelan Cole at WR to bolster that room especially since old-reliable Zack Pascal signed with Philly. Additionally, Chris Herndon is still out there at TE who is a really athletic pass catcher (when healthy).

Tre Flowers at CB.

Eric Fisher at LT.

pass on cole and flowers.  I do like MVS

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’d just as soon they put Pryor at RT and trade Smith.  That would free up some cap.  We could trade Kelly, too.  Pinter isn’t much of a drop off, but he’s a lot cheaper.

I didn’t mean to trade Smith and Kelly.  One of the two.

they would play smith at LT before he gets traded.  There's no way they trade one of the best RT in football. 

pass on cole and flowers.  I do like MVS

I would not sleep on Cole. Look at his production and then look at who was throwing to him.......lol

Flowers knows the system and could play boundary corner or safety. We shall see if Coach Gus agrees or if he plans on using Tell like that????

Then trade Kelly and play Pinter at C.  Fill the rest in draft.

I don’t think we should be messing around with an experiment at LT when we have a 36YO pocket passer under center - and a huge drop off at backup.

LT has to be top priority.  And if we have to make some painful trades to do it, so be it.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I would not sleep on Cole. Look at his production and then look at who was throwing to him.......lol

Flowers knows the system and could play boundary corner or safety. We shall see if Coach Gus agrees or if he plans on using Tell like that????

idk man i've seen flowers get son'd multiple times by average receivers.  not a fan of flowers at all. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Tre Flowers at CB.

Eric Fisher at LT.

Not Fisher again.  Please.  If we had gotten Mayfield, I might be more open to that.  But we got somebody who has to have the best pass protection we can muster.  He’s not as mobile and he’s long in the tooth.

We can do better.  And we must.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Then trade Kelly and play Pinter at C.  Fill the rest in draft.

I don’t think we should be messing around with an experiment at LT when we have a 36YO pocket passer under center - and a huge drop off at backup.

LT has to be top priority.  And if we have to make some painful trades to do it, so be it.

I agree that if we have a veteran guy to trade it's Kelly.  But tbh I think we are going to play pinter at RG, and Fries will take that role of swing lineman. 

So I really think right now we are gonna keep Kelly to snap to Ryan.  I wouldn't be surprised if we moved on from Kelly and Ryan at the same time in like 2 years. 

Archived