Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle

Smonroe

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, I'm guessing they go back to Fisher.  Apparently no one is beating down his door.

If that happens, they need to start grooming his replacement with a draft pick.  Ballard has ignored that position too long, and he should have been proactive with AC was flirting with retirement the first time.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

At this point, I'm guessing they go back to Fisher.  Apparently no one is beating down his door.

If that happens, they need to start grooming his replacement with a draft pick.  Ballard has ignored that position too long, and he should have been proactive with AC was flirting with retirement the first time.

Fisher should be a last resort. Unless there is marked improvement in his play, having him at LT will cause Matt Ryan to  be constantly running for his life. Not what you can allow to happen with an immobile QB. 

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Fisher should be a last resort. Unless there is marked improvement in his play, having him at LT will cause Matt Ryan to  be constantly running for his life. Not what you can allow to happen with an immobile QB. 

I agree that whoever we get to play LT needs to be better than Fisher was last year in pass pro.  He was poor, probably still recovering from his injury.

However, I disagree that Matt is immobile.  He's not as mobile as Tanneyhill but he's nowhere near the Rivers level.  He moves well in the pocket and can even scramble out if it comes to it.  I included a clip from last season to another guy who was saying that Ryan is a statue.  That guy claimed he was quitting the forum once we got Ryan, lol!  So he never responded.

Take a look at his highlights from last season.  Look around the 40 second mark how he moves in the pocket.  Then go to about the 4:15 mark and watch him run.  Yes, he'll never be confused with any of the more mobile QBs.  But he's definitely not a statue.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I agree that whoever we get to play LT needs to be better than Fisher was last year in pass pro.  He was poor, probably still recovering from his injury.

However, I disagree that Matt is immobile.  He's not as mobile as Tanneyhill but he's nowhere near the Rivers level.  He moves well in the pocket and can even scramble out if it comes to it.  I included a clip from last season to another guy who was saying that Ryan is a statue.  That guy claimed he was quitting the forum once we got Ryan, lol!  So he never responded.

Take a look at his highlights from last season.  Look around the 40 second mark how he moves in the pocket.  Then go to about the 4:15 mark and watch him run.  Yes, he'll never be confused with any of the more mobile QBs.  But he's definitely not a statue.

Yeah, he definitely looked far better than Rivers. Great accuracy also. That statue comment was too harsh, I’ll grant you that. Let’s hope the Colts find a solid replacement for Fisher, though. I’m not confident that Pryor is the answer. Maybe Duane Brown? 

14 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Per Ballard on Pat McAfee Show, Pryor will get 1st shot at LT.

Look to bring in some depth pieces.

Yeah, Pryor is our starter this year. We probs sign someone in a few weeks for depth or grab someone in the draft to develop.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm hoping "he's our starter" just like Sam Elhinger was our starter until yesterday.

I think Ballard is a man of his word. It sounded like he gave Pryor his word that he was going to have a fair shot at LT. 

So, Armstead & Brown are likely out

12 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think Ballard is a man of his word. It sounded like he gave Pryor his word that he was going to have a fair shot at LT. 

So, Armstead & Brown are likely out

They may not bring in those two, but they will bring in a veteran.   You can't have a team who's Left Tackle prospects have a total of one start at the position.

Sure, Pryor can compete with whoever they bring in.  We want the best player on the field and if Pryor beats out the vet, good for him.

But they have to bring someone in.  I'm guessing Fisher.

Well scratch off the high priced LT from our bucket list. Matt Pryor has been anointed the the 'starter' for now.....he did have a 76,5 grade from PFF last year with 6 penalties and zero sacks allowed. He had a 87.7 PFF grade at LT versus the Raiders (Yannick and Maxx Crosby are pretty good) only giving up 2 pressures and 1 QB hit that game. 

NFL dot com had this to say - which I read a lot of good and seemingly the bad has been corrected - especially what the anonymous scout had to say about him at the bottom.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/matt-pryor/32005052-5946-0541-f3df-485816e66481

And this one that compares him to Trent Brown - which I think is a good comp

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769363-matt-pryor-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-philadelphia-eagles-pick

And this one where the pundits actually confirm he may take a couple years but could be a solid starter once he develops

https://insidetheiggles.com/2018/04/29/philadelphia-eagles-ot-matt-pryor-what-the-experts-think/

All I am getting at is that there are A LOT of OLineman success stories that were undrafted or even 6th and 7th round 'projects' that turned themselves into solid starters! Let's trust Ballard, Frank, Chris and Kevin Mawae's judgement on the current state of his talent! 

Also, I would not sleep on Jordan Murray, the LT we signed out of the CFL. He is 6'9" and 325 lbs with 36" arms as well and like 11" hands. He was an UDFA in 2019 for the Seahawks and then went to the CFL and is still just 24 years old. He won a title in 2020 in the Spring League with the Generals. In 2021 he played with the Hamilton Tiger cats who lost in the Grey Cup. So the young man has played LT for two winning teams and has seen live pass rushers for the past two years. At the very least he can be the swing tackle if matt Pryor is, in fact, the starter moving forward.

Neither of the above two things should stop the FO from drafting another LT and trying to develop them though. Just pointing out we may not be as bad off as the naysayers think.....

16 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Well scratch off the high priced LT from our bucket list. Matt Pryor has been anointed the the 'starter' for now.....he did have a 76,5 grade from PFF last year with 6 penalties and zero sacks allowed. He had a 87.7 PFF grade at LT versus the Raiders (Yannick and Maxx Crosby are pretty good) only giving up 2 pressures and 1 QB hit that game. 

NFL dot com had this to say - which I read a lot of good and seemingly the bad has been corrected - especially what the anonymous scout had to say about him at the bottom.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769363-matt-pryor-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-philadelphia-eagles-pick

And this one where the pundits actually confirm he may take a couple years but could be a solid starter once he develops

https://insidetheiggles.com/2018/04/29/philadelphia-eagles-ot-matt-pryor-what-the-experts-think/

All I am getting at is that there are A LOT of OLineman success stories that were undrafted or even 6th and 7th round 'projects' that turned themselves into solid starters! Let's trust Ballard, Frank, Chris and Kevin Mawae's judgement on the current state of his talent! 

So, if I’m reading all that correctly, in his entire career, college and pros, he had 1 start at LT, right?

Hey, he may be the guy.  But Ballard has to bring in some experience.  He’s ignored LT as much as QB.  It’s time to either sign a vet or draft one in the 2nd.  

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I'm not sure he fits Ballard's mold. He seemed to discard most of the prospects last year as prospects that don't fit the LT mold and the unifying factor in most of them was - short arms. Raimann has pretty short arms too... I would be looking for LTs with around 34" arms and longer. 

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So, if I’m reading all that correctly, in his entire career, college and pros, he had 1 start at LT, right?

Hey, he may be the guy.  But Ballard has to bring in some experience.  He’s ignored LT as much as QB.  It’s time to either sign a vet or draft one in the 2nd.  

I agree and actually edited my original post to say that none of Matt Pryor nor Jordan Murray stop the FO from drafting a LT to develop! I just don't think we are as bad as a lot of people think. 

18 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm trusting Ballard in this one.  He did trade for him and he did well when called upon.  The reports on him said it might take a few years for him to develop and he appears on schedule.  Ballard didn't hesitate to resign him.  Most everyone on this board liked him and wanted him back.  Ballard obviously did as well.  Pinter appears ready for RG.  Pryor at LT.  He will have his share of penalties but if our coaches think he's ready whom am I to take exception.  It's an important position on the OL.  I wouldn't be surprised if we are all going to be very happy with his play and development this year.  He's going to feel confident with Q next to him.   I'm looking forward to seeing him make the big jump. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure he fits Ballard's mold. He seemed to discard most of the prospects last year as prospects that don't fit the LT mold and the unifying factor in most of them was - short arms. Raimann has pretty short arms too... I would be looking for LTs with around 34" arms and longer. 

Pryor has 36" arms.  Check that box.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm trusting Ballard in this one.  He did trade for him and he did well when called upon.  The reports on him said it might take a few years for him to develop and he appears on schedule.  Ballard didn't hesitate to resign him.  Most everyone on this board liked him and wanted him back.  Ballard obviously did as well.  Pinter appears ready for RG.  Pryor at LT.  He will have his share of penalties but if our coaches think he's ready whom am I to take exception.  It's an important position on the OL.  I wouldn't be surprised if we are all going to be very happy with his play and development this year.  He's going to feel confident with Q next to him.   I'm looking forward to seeing him make the big jump. 

I agree. I still think draft capital will be used on a 'project' LT in this coming draft. Possibly a 5th or 6th round guy with all the measurables that Chris Strausser and Kevin Mawae can mold like clay. Someone like the two guys from the Dakota schools (North Dakota and North Dakota State). They both gave up zero sacks last year if I am not mistaken? 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Pryor has 36" arms.  Check that box.

So does the CFL guy Jordan Murray who won a spring league title with the Generals in 2020 and lost in the CFL's Grey Cup in 2021. He's been playing on winning teams the last two years and seeing live bullets so I think he's got a shot at swing tackle at the very least.

Personally, I’m not expecting him to look anything more than serviceable at best. He had one good game at LT but will be interesting to see how he does when there’s a lot of tape on him as a starter.

I hope we draft a WR early obviously, but wouldn’t be surprised if we take a LT in the 3rd.

they are not going to move smith to LT unless the entire left side of the line gets demolished with injuries. 

14 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

Food for thought, Pinter was a converted TE in College and played well, in a short stint at Center, I hope they at least looked at him at LT in practice?  Though his arm length isn't ideal, unfortunately..

he is going to play RG

3 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I actually think Pryor projects better at RG, but what do I know?

I agree, but they need him at tackle more than they do guard.  Because you can't play pinter at LT, but you can play pryor at LT, so i think it's more of a best 5 case here.  And of course, this is just my take

also let's not kid here... pinter played VERYwell at RG and C last year.  He was one of the best rated OL on our team outside of the good games that pryor had as well.  They both played well, but I wouldn't go as far to say Pryor was better at RG than pinter. 

also Pryor has way better size for LT. Pinter is not that big... But Pinter is also one of our more agile lineman, 

Archived