Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Discussion/news of Free Agent Signings 2022

Just what exactly is the Colts plan to get a new QB? Maybe their strategy is to wait until the other 31 teams have secured their QB and then go find someone on the cheap? It appears as if Deshaun Watson is going to choose between Atlanta and New Orleans soon. By last count, that means only the Colts, Panthers, Seattle and one of those teams are still looking for a QB. Baker Mayfield says he wants a divorce but the Browns say they want him to grow up. I just know that there is someone out there on this forum that can't wait to convince me that it was somehow Ballard's plan all along to wait for chaos to happen in Cleveland so the Colts could pick up the pieces of another injured and average QB. Bogus! I mean, really? If the Colts stated reasons for getting rid of Wentz is that he is not a good enough leader, then do we really want to go down the path with another QB that his team just essentially called him a child? Maybe the hope is to wait for every team to fill their QB spot with someone not named Jimmy G., and then pray that the Niners will trade him to the Colts on the cheap. Hopes and prayers can't be the plan, right?

Maybe, there is no real plan!!!

The only plan I can think of that does not involve any of the ridiculous nonsense described above is this. The Colts have no intention of trading for or acquiring another FA stop-gap QB this offseason. That means, they fully intend to draft someone in April, or less likely, tank for a year and draft a QB in what is supposed to be a better QB class in 2023. I am not sure Jim Irsay or the Colts fans are patient enough (me included) for the latter. What else could it be? If Colt's management has not fully decided to draft their next signal caller, with each passing day it is really hard for the Colts FO to pretend that their current plan has led them to this point and they are happy with it? Bogus again! There is no way the Colts are happy about their current QB status unless they are drafting a QB. Please, somebody thrill me with another scenario that makes any kind of sense here!

With all the theories thrown around, I might as well thrown an off-the-wall one to please the pitch fork crowd, lol.  Maybe Ballard is ticked off at Irsay for forcing his hand to deal Wentz while Reich and Ballard wanted to give him another year?? So he is setting himself to be fired next year. 

I am only kidding but I guess my tin foil hat is just as good as yours when it comes to imagination. :) 

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

The plan is simple, wait for Watson to make his move they make ours. If he picks the Saints it's Winston. If it's the Falcons, it's a trade for Ryan. Seems like Jimmy G is off the table, unless the Panthers jump in and grab one of the others first.

• Like 1

I had to stop myself yesterday from writing an angry Ballard after seeing some of the moves teams were making. Once I took another dive into the remaining free agent pool it's pretty crazy how much talent is still out there. WR is starting to get a bit shallow but with the Rams taking calls for Woods that's a possibility. Your guess is as good as mine for QB, I'm still a bit flabbergasted but am starting to think they like one of the rookies in the draft. Shoring up FS and adding a quality DB on paper puts us as one of the top D's in the nfl and we have a lot of quality pieces on offense but have glaring needs at Qb, WR2, and a TE.

Have some faith and take a look at the remaining FA's before you get too mad!!!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The plan is simple, wait for Watson to make his move they make ours. If he picks the Saints it's Winston. If it's the Falcons, it's a trade for Ryan. Seems like Jimmy G is off the table, unless the Panthers jump in and grab one of the others first.

This is what I think is going down.  

1 minute ago, DeepseaColt said:

I had to stop myself yesterday from writing an angry Ballard after seeing some of the moves teams were making. Once I took another dive into the remaining free agent pool it's pretty crazy how much talent is still out there. WR is starting to get a bit shallow but with the Rams taking calls for Woods that's a possibility. Your guess is as good as mine for QB, I'm still a bit flabbergasted but am starting to think they like one of the rookies in the draft. Shoring up FS and adding a quality DB on paper puts us as one of the top D's in the nfl and we have a lot of quality pieces on offense but have glaring needs at Qb, WR2, and a TE.

Have some faith and take a look at the remaining FA's before you get too mad!!!!

I would give up a 4th rounder to the Rams for Woods. If he were healthy to finish the season, I would have given up a 3rd rounder but I have a feeling they would be fine trading him to us for a 4th rounder. That should settle the outside WRs for us and Woods would probably be better than any rookie we get in the 3rd round, IMO, even if we give up a 3rd.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With all the theories thrown around, I might as well thrown an off-the-wall one to please the pitch fork crowd, lol.  Maybe Ballard is ticked off at Irsay for forcing his hand to deal Wentz while Reich and Ballard wanted to give him another year?? So he is setting himself to be fired next year. 

I am only kidding but I guess my tin foil hat is just as good as yours when it comes to imagination. :) 

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

I like it, but I'm going to poke some holes in your theory. :default_20smile: I do think that the decision on Wentz was made by Irsay, essentially now forcing Ballard to move on from 2 QBs, (Luck when he retired and Wentz's ousting by Irsay).

My objections:

1. I think most employees would rather quit/resign than be fired, especially if they are interested in future opportunities within a small circle. If Ballard really was forced into a bad situation, I think he's emotionally intelligent enough to resign, rather than take this passive aggressive approach through FA. 

2. Your conspiracy theory would hold more water if Ballard had a history of being heavily involved in FA and only decided to stay out of it this year to spite Irsay. But, we know that's not the case. Ballard takes a very cautious approach when it comes to FA, and that's exactly what we are seeing this year too. 

3. It's still early. Ballard has time to make his move, whatever it/they may be. The dominos start to fall with Watson's decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeepseaColt said:

this, only thing I’d say I’m disappointed in is not grabbing a WR and DB.  But I can see why  we couldn’t get one without having a QB.  I could see moving up into the late first round and grabbing a receiver using our second and Washingtons 3rd.  If we can grab a DB, I’d be ok.

also thinking ballard might have his eye on a LT in the draft or Pryor is making the change.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would give up a 4th rounder to the Rams for Woods. If he were healthy to finish the season, I would have given up a 3rd rounder but I have a feeling they would be fine trading him to us for a 4th rounder. That should settle the outside WRs for us and Woods would probably be better than any rookie we get in the 3rd round, IMO, even if we give up a 3rd.

Couldn't agree more!

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I was referring to free agent veterans. I was trying to illustrate that paying a lot for free agents that are not already part of your organization often does not work out. The Colts players acquired as free agents that have worked out well are low-priced ones. The high-priced ones have not worked out. (The return on investment has not been great.)

I can't recall any high priced free agents signed by Ballard. Funchess ?

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Just what exactly is the Colts plan to get a new QB? Maybe their strategy is to wait until the other 31 teams have secured their QB and then go find someone on the cheap? It appears as if Deshaun Watson is going to choose between Atlanta and New Orleans soon. By last count, that means only the Colts, Panthers, Seattle and one of those teams are still looking for a QB. Baker Mayfield says he wants a divorce but the Browns say they want him to grow up. I just know that there is someone out there on this forum that can't wait to convince me that it was somehow Ballard's plan all along to wait for chaos to happen in Cleveland so the Colts could pick up the pieces of another injured and average QB. Bogus! I mean, really? If the Colts stated reasons for getting rid of Wentz is that he is not a good enough leader, then do we really want to go down the path with another QB that his team just essentially called him a child? Maybe the hope is to wait for every team to fill their QB spot with someone not named Jimmy G., and then pray that the Niners will trade him to the Colts on the cheap. Hopes and prayers can't be the plan, right?

Maybe, there is no real plan!!!

The only plan I can think of that does not involve any of the ridiculous nonsense described above is this. The Colts have no intention of trading for or acquiring another FA stop-gap QB this offseason. That means, they fully intend to draft someone in April, or less likely, tank for a year and draft a QB in what is supposed to be a better QB class in 2023. I am not sure Jim Irsay or the Colts fans are patient enough (me included) for the latter. What else could it be? If Colt's management has not fully decided to draft their next signal caller, with each passing day it is really hard for the Colts FO to pretend that their current plan has led them to this point and they are happy with it? Bogus again! There is no way the Colts are happy about their current QB status unless they are drafting a QB. Please, somebody thrill me with another scenario that makes any kind of sense here!

Nice post . You're second sentence hits the nail on the head. There isn't and wasn't any plan from the get go. Wentz rubbed Irsay the wrong way and Irsay told Ballard and Frank to ship him out of town or one of them will be shipped out of town 

I think Jim Irsay is turning into Bob Irsay.

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I’m surprised that CLE got him for that package if it is reported ATL offered the same. ATL has a much higher draft position

All about who Watson wanted to go to.  At this point, the pressure was now on Texans to get the deal done before the browns use that as leverage 

8 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I can't recall any high priced free agents signed by Ballard. Funchess ?

I had asked the past ten years -- I think Grigson signed several high-priced free agents. 

Which GM acquired Jonathan Hankins?

So far, Frank Gore seems to be the best of the signings that have been mentioned.

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I had asked the past ten years -- I think Grigson signed several high-priced free agents. 

Which GM acquired Jonathan Hankins?

So far, Frank Gore seems to be the best of the signings that have been mentioned.

Ballard brought in Hankins, then cut him the next year.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ballard brought in Hankins, then cut him the next year.

Was he a high-priced free agent? I am thinking that he must not have been.

Yes, I knew he was here only one year. My friend is a long time Giants season-ticket holder. When I told him back then that Hankins had been cut and was not on any team for a while, he was shocked. 

I have been following the NFL for 30 years now. Free agency period always interested me although I don't want my own team signing high-priced free agents. I used to listen to Chris Mortensen and John Clayton a lot. They were always reliable sources of information. I read yesterday that Clayton had died after a short illness. Rest in peace, John. You will be missed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Was he a high-priced free agent? I am thinking that he must not have been.

Yes, I knew he was here only one year. My friend is a long time Giants season-ticket holder. When I told him back then that Hankins had been cut and was not on any team for a while, he was shocked. 

3 year 27 million - So not a cheap

contract, IMO. Always found it odd they released him after 1 season. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:58 PM, NFLfan said:

Thank you. I prefer signing low-priced guys. (I think I would appreciate Ballard as GM.) 

Stokely is a good one. Chad Bratzke, that is a name I have not heard in a while. He played for the Giants. I am not familiar with Wilford or Loudermilk. I believe I remember Reagor.

I prefer trading for players, as it seems that guys who are traded pan out better.  One of your fellow Colts fans mentioned Vontae Davis. 

Loudermilk was the Vikings center. Wilford was the Bills All-Pro OT. They brought them in to protect Jeff George who then immediately held out. 

Unfortunately, Reagor was in a car accident that ended his career with the Colts.  

Davis was a good trade. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Loudermilk was the Vikings center. Wilford was the Bills All-Pro OT. They brought them in to protect Jeff George who then immediately held out. 

Unfortunately, Reagor was in a car accident that ended his career with the Colts.  

Davis was a good trade. 

I thought the name Loudermilk sounded familiar. Lol. I started following football in the early 90s. I think he may have played when I first became a Vikings fan, but unless he was was John Randle, I would not remember him. Back then, I mostly followed the skill players. (I know Jeff George well. Lol) Chris Hinton played with the Colts before playing with the Vikes. He was not a skill player, but I always liked him. 

Reagor's son plays WR for the Eagles, no? Had the Eagles taken Justin Jefferson instead of Reagor, Reagor (son) may be playing for the Vikings.

Thanks for the history!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I have been following the NFL for 30 years now. Free agency period always interested me although I don't want my own team signing high-priced free agents. I used to listen to Chris Mortensen and John Clayton a lot. They were always reliable sources of information. I read yesterday that Clayton had died after a short illness. Rest in peace, John. You will be missed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1