Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Flores Suing NFL and NY Giants (Merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I would think there are better ways to do it. Is there things they can do to force GM and other organizations to do some training and how it helps the league to get minority candidates more involved. Is it agents getting their names out more? 

I agree it has had some good benefits and it’s the teams that don’t take it seriously are what makes it look bad. But that was going to happen with a rule like this. 

The rule was meant to force all that.

As is the case at many organizations, those training sessions can be a joke. If the leadership of the league isn't pressed about enforcing it (and they're not because the commish is employed by the owners, a classic Quis custodiet ipsos custodes )

The league needs to do exactly what you've done here and brainstorm. What'll actually happen is as long as the pocket book is nice and fat, they'll hire some consultants who'll write some nice reports, get an ad agency involved and set some campaigns out to lovely music, and just wait for the smoke to clear. That's why two decades after the rule came up, we're pretty much back to square zero.

Human beings, ALL, as a whole need to be better.

• NFLfan changed the title to Brian Flores Suing NFL and NY Giants (Merge)
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be a problem for the league. They need to confront it openly and honestly, it'll be a powerful societal statement if they did.....they of course won't do any such thing. There's far too much power, and therefore money at stake.

I'm sad. I cannot believe that 30 years into my NFL fanhood, this is still an issue.  I don't blame Brian Flores for feeling how he does, but this is career suicide. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Or... this is what happens when there is racism in teams' hiring practices... :dunno:

And in retention practices. 

16 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

This is going to be a problem for the league. They need to confront it openly and honestly, it'll be a powerful societal statement if they did.....they of course won't do any such thing. There's far too much power, and therefore money at stake.

Great question posed by Peter King.  

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm sad. I cannot believe that 30 years into my NFL fanhood, this is still an issue.  I don't blame Brian Flores for feeling how he does, but this is career suicide. 

And retention practices. 

Career suicide for sure. But if this is all true, then wow.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

And retention practices. 

Imagine how you would feel if you are texting your mentor about a big upcoming job interview and he slips up(he thought he was talking to Daboll in those texts) telling you the decision has already been made even before you get the chance to put your case forward in front of the the decisionmakers... and then you have to go to that interview and pretend like you don't know what's going on. This sucks on so many levels. He must have felt horrible. I'd be absolutely fuming if something like this happens to me. I absolutely understand why he's going scorched Earth if everything he's alledging is true. From the Broncos, to Miami's owners treating him like this and then trying to mar his reputation on his way out... and then that Giants interview... 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Imagine how you would feel if you are texting your mentor about a big upcoming HC interview and he slips up(he thought he was talking to Daboll in those texts) telling you the decision has already been made even before you get the chance to put your case forward in front of the Giants... and then you have to go to that interview and pretend like you don't know what's going on. This sucks on so many levels. He must have felt horrible. I'd be absolutely fuming if something like this happens to me. I absolutely understand why he's going scorched Earth if everything he's alledging is true. From the Broncos, to Miami's owners treating him like this and then trying to mar his reputation on his way out... and then that Giants interview... 

What happened with Denver?

Just now, NFLfan said:

What happened with Denver?

He's alledging that Elway and Ellis came to his interview 1 hour late and were drunk/hungover/"disheveled" and that by the way the interview was conducted it was clear to him he was just being Rooney-ruled, and he never had a shot at that job. 

2 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

And for what it’s worth, not that it should matter, but I think the greatest coach was Tony Dungy. Best coach in NFL right now is Mike Tomlin. And I myself am a BLACK man. I bet y’all thought I was white just because I disagreed with the suit. Mind your own biases.

They probably did. 

The Rooney rule is pure trash. It needs to be discarded. 

There may have been a time it was needed, but it's way passed its expiration date. 

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is alleging they didn’t take his interview serious. That came in late and were drunk. Broncos are denying it and say they have records proving it was a legitimate interview.

He claimed they had a hangover from drinking the night before, not necessarily drunk during the interview.  

This dude is mad cause he isn't getting a job, thus is pulling the race card because, to his ego, it is probably the only thing that makes sense. He wants to create as much havoc as possible just to spite. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's alledging that Elway and Ellis came to his interview 1 hour late and were drunk/hungover/"disheveled" and that by the way the interview was conducted it was clear to him he was just being Rooney-ruled, and he never had a shot at that job. 

Ah. That is awful... I am a fan of George Paton who was with the Vikings. He is the GM there; he must have been part of this.

5 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

He claimed they had a hangover from drinking the night before, not necessarily drunk during the interview.  

This dude is mad cause he isn't getting a job, thus is pulling the race card because, to his ego, it is probably the only thing that makes sense. He wants to create as much havoc as possible just to spite. 

Ah yes, the NFL is famously NOT known for any of the things he has accused them of. The media are no doubt just ganging up on the NFL for clicks.

15 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Ah yes, the NFL is famously NOT known for any of the things he has accused them of. The media are no doubt just ganging up on the NFL for clicks.

If he was so beneath and disgusted about being offered money to tank, why is he just now revealing this? He should have notified the public and quit on the spot (In 2019) if he was so morally outraged. 

I think it's hilarious to see people hollering racism about the sham interviews this guy had, without ever giving thought to the latent functions and pitfalls of the Rooney rule, until possibly, maybe, hopefully, now. 

That's all this is: the latent function of the Rooney rule. 

23 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Which is very possible. That’s why we shouldn’t jump to conclusions and believe what he says without any kind of proof.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

He's not stupid.  He knows what this could cost him.

He may have a point.  He may have a legitimate case.

But.... he's suing the NFL.

Being right may cost him his career.

Just like Kaepernick, he will make plenty of money in a settlement but won't coach again, that is how I see it playing out.

When I see guys like Leftwich, Bowles, Flores, Jim Caldwell being interviewed for just the heck of it, it sends absolutely the wrong message, IMO. These guys can definitely coach. If Joe Judge and Nick Sirianni can get a HC job, these guys can, IMO.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Something else is no one ever knows why somebody doesn’t get a job. The rumor with the KC OC is it’s that he interviews bad and has a questionable background.  It’s so hard to prove actually racism.

Guys like Bowles, Caldwell, Leftwich aren't in the same boat as Bieniemy and Caldwell was the last guy to take Stafford and the Lions to the playoffs, and yet he was let go after 4 years of doing well there, where no other coach had a record as good in a 4 year span. It just does not make sense.

The truth is, good ideas come in different packages and NFL owners and GMs need to get used to that and not expect the same type of answers they got a decade ago, as long as it works for the team's vision. Like Aerosmith in that song "Living On The Edge" sang

"There's something wrong with the world today
The light bulb's getting dim
There's meltdown in the sky
If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I, oh"

and it seems like it is still being played out sometimes. 

Which lawyer wrote 'article 21', claiming:

"the Broncos’ then-General Manager, John Elway, President and Chief Executive Officer Joe Ellis and others, showed up an hour late to the interview. They looked completely disheveled, and it was obvious that they had been drinking heavily the night before."

Elway always looks 'disheveled'(sorry John)...often in a poorly fitted, long-sleeved flannel shirt, these days.

...not sure about Joe Ellis, or 'others'...but how was it 'obvious that they had been drinking heavily the night before'?

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just like Kaepernick, he will make plenty of money in a settlement but won't coach again, that is how I see it playing out.

When I see guys like Leftwich, Bowles, Flores, Jim Caldwell being interviewed for just the heck of it, it sends absolutely the wrong message, IMO. These guys can definitely coach. If Joe Judge and Nick Sirianni can get a HC job, these guys can, IMO.

Josh McDaniels just landed the Raiders job and folks have been going gaga over him for years. He has an 11-17 record and made a mess in Denver. No one has a problem hiring him again. Why not Flores? Now he won't get a job (I guess he will get cancelled lol). 

The Vikes reportedly are hiring Jim Harbaugh. That is understandable. He has a good track record. 

15 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Okay so.. we're gonna solve "racism" in the NFL? How? This is just going to turn in pandering in afraid. I guess now's my best shot at getting a head coaching job..

It is not real hard for GMs and owners to do things the right way, like not set someone up for a namesake interview when they know who they want. If you truly want to be diligent, finish the interview process and take a few days before letting "anyone" know. It is not that hard.

Yes, there will be embellishment on both sides, no doubt in my mind. But Flores is just bringing some evidence to the table what other African American coaches have suspected. We went through a wave - Dungy, Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, Danny Green etc. as head coaches at one point, but it sure did not last, is what I am seeing. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Josh McDaniels just landed a job the Raiders job and folks have been going gaga over him for years. He has an 11-17 record and made a mess in Denver. No one has a problem hiring him again. Why not Flores? Now he won't get a job (I guess he will get cancelled lol). 

The Vikes reportedly are hiring Jim Harbaugh. That is understandable. He has a good track record.  

Yeah, he better not ship out Derek Carr like he shipped out Jay Cutler. The team already loved their interim coach Rick Bisaccia and has to be a little disappointed he was not considered to be retained. So McDaniels has to manage relationships better this time around. Same issues as what Ryan Grigson had, did not manage his relationships with players and coaches well and it came back to bite him. 

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

If he was so beneath and disgusted about being offered money to tank, why is he just now revealing this? He should have notified the public and quit on the spot (In 2019) if he was so morally outraged. 

1. He signed a contract, so quiting would cost him money.

2. Power dynamics.

3. Quit on your boss while making his unethical requests public and he'll try to make sure all of his fellow billion owners don't want to hire you.

4. At that point, he probably hadn't decided he was willing to risk his career to rock the boat.

5. It was most likely his mentor texting him congratulations for getting a job he was 3 days away from interviewing for, then finding out he accidentally texted the wrong guy and that you have to go an interview for a job you've been told is already going to someone else that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Why not Flores? Now he won't get a job (I guess he will get cancelled lol). 

His getting blackballed would be confirmation that there indeed is a racial issue here.

27 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Something else is no one ever knows why somebody doesn’t get a job. The rumor with the KC OC is it’s that he interviews bad and has a questionable background.  It’s so hard to prove actually racism.

Listen to what Mima Kimes says. I was just like her. I used to make excuse after excuse as to why there were so few black head coaches. After following the NFL for 30 years, there are no more excuses.  Check this:

14 minutes ago, Shive said:

His getting blackballed would be confirmation that there indeed is a racial issue here.

For sure.  I am hoping that Jim Harbaugh hires Flores as his DC in Minnesota, if indeed we are hiring Harbaugh.  Harbaugh has thick skin (can take criticism for a controversial hire) and I believe our owners would not have a problem hiring him. 

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Josh McDaniels just landed the Raiders job and folks have been going gaga over him for years. He has an 11-17 record and made a mess in Denver. No one has a problem hiring him again. Why not Flores? Now he won't get a job (I guess he will get cancelled lol). 

Why not the interim coach? In my opinion he did a great job. McDaniels is a jerk who rode the coattails of Brady. 

So with everything going on, it looks like our state can add the NFL to its list of things to ban me from discussing in the classroom…

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It’s rare that a HC is fired from one team and immediately gets hired within a few weeks to HC another team. Does it happen, sure, but rarely. 

and this crap about race, as a black man, I’m sick and tired of everyone pulling that card when things don’t go their way. It distracts heavily from the actual racist stuff going on in this world. A guy who has made MILLIONS playing a game and later coaching it, has his panties in a wad claiming racism after he was fired for not performing and now claiming racism. Show me actual proof, show me text messages emails etc. otherwise, it’s all allegations. 

Archived