Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't see Irsay paying Wentz 22 Million

JMichael557

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JMichael557 said:

Wentz is due 7 million payment on I believe March 17 if not cut. This is throwing money away. While no one likes a dead cap of 15 million that beats a dead cap of 22 million which is what you would have with Wentz.

Did you forget Brissett. They paid him about 1M per QB sneak last season. 

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s not that easy lol. If you cut him then who?

There will be options for trade. Irsay most likely gave Ballard the green light to over pay and make something happen if I had to guess. All speculation at this point of course but if Wentz is still on the club in late March he will be the QB next season. Will Be an interesting 2 months. 

Just now, Captain_Colts1317 said:

There will be options for trade. Irsay most likely gave Ballard the green light to over pay and make something happen if I had to guess. All speculation at this point of course but if Wentz is still on the club in late March he will be the QB next season. Will Be an interesting 2 months. 

There is no one that is going to elevate this team where we need to go. We aren’t giving up more picks after just giving up a 1 and a 3 for Wentz. We also don’t have cap space.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There is no one that is going to elevate this team where we need to go. We aren’t giving up more picks after just giving up a 1 and a 3 for Wentz. We also don’t have cap space.

There’s plenty of ways to make the cap space work, if Irsay is okay with spending and Ballard gets on board. There are plenty of options out there too. We can either keep being a middle of the pack team for the next 10 years or we can spend some money and draft capital and go out and get a QB that gives this team a legit chance over the next few years to get to a SB. 

Just now, Captain_Colts1317 said:

There’s plenty of ways to make the cap space work, if Irsay is okay with spending and Ballard gets on board. There are plenty of options out there too. We can either keep being a middle of the pack team for the next 10 years or we can spend some money and draft capital and go out and get a QB that gives this team a legit chance over the next few years to get to a SB. 

So where you getting the draft picks?  If there is no one that is going to take you to a SB you stick with what you have. Get as many offensive weapons as you can. If it doesn’t work you look to the 23 draft.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

So where you getting the draft picks?  If there is no one that is going to take you to a SB you stick with what you have. Get as many offensive weapons as you can. If it doesn’t work you look to the 23 draft.

We are missing a 1st from this year, one pick. Irsay is not going to want to wait another year then start a rebuild of a rookie QB. Not to mention most of the roster would be getting older and you’d essentially be starting a complete rebuild. I’d post it at 50/50 right now they make a splash at QB this off-season. Irsay doesn’t want to get embarrassed again like what happened this year. 

1 minute ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

We are missing a 1st from this year, one pick. Irsay is not going to want to wait another year then start a rebuild of a rookie QB. Not to mention most of the roster would be getting older and you’d essentially be starting a complete rebuild. I’d post it at 50/50 right now they make a splash at QB this off-season. Irsay doesn’t want to get embarrassed again like what happened this year. 

Who. You still haven’t said who. 

That was a different scenerio. We had a lot of cap space. They can’t do that again unless your starting Sam.

It's possible if we draft the QB. I'm not saying that I think this is the most likely option.  If you ask me, I think that Wentz starts next season with Sam as backup.  However, Wentz doesn't have to leave the roster for them to plan for the future.  Someone can be drafted in the second or even the later rounds if they are going to sit anyways.. 

edit: it might be Sam, or they use Wentz as a gap QB waiting for someone to come available. I don't see us trading Wentz because I don't think we will get much. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Who. You still haven’t said who. 

Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, literally anybody that has rumored be available to trade. Watson is pretty much not going to happen due to being in the division. Honestly Jimmy G could be okay if they add a number 2 receiver which they have to regardless. The problem is you can’t go into the playoffs and trust Wentz at this point. His talent is undeniable but you can’t break his bad habits at this point I don’t think. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

It's possible if we draft the QB. I'm not saying that I think this is the most likely option.  If you ask me, I think that Wentz starts next season with Sam as backup.  However, Wentz doesn't have to leave the roster for them to plan for the future.  Someone can be drafted in the second or even the later rounds if they are going to sit anyways.. 

yeah I was thinking we could draft in the second. It would have to be someone they love if they do it. But that probably means Wentz is still starting. Imagine if that happened to him again lol.

1 minute ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, literally anybody that has rumored be available to trade. Watson is pretty much not going to happen due to being in the division. Honestly Jimmy G could be okay if they add a number 2 receiver which they have to regardless. The problem is you can’t go into the playoffs and trust Wentz at this point. His talent is undeniable but you can’t break his bad habits at this point I don’t think. 

We don’t have cap space for any of those guys. We don’t have draft picks for Wilson. Ballard is not trading  for Watson. Jimmy G needs elite play  makers around him. They have pro bowlers at skilled positions. 

Rodgers I think can do what Brady did and become a free agent after this season if he wants. He isn’t coming to the colts. He would go to a contender with lots of weapons. He probably stays in Green Bay or retires. He doesn’t advance the future either. If Wentz isn’t it it’s time to start the clock on a young QB.

Colts best option is get better at skill positions and I’d it doesn’t work look to the 23 draft. Or maybe there is one in the 22 draft that can backup Wentz and be the future.

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

We had 40M locked up in 2 QBs last season. 

I think he was talking about drafting in the 2nd for the future and Wentz starting.

We don’t have cap space for any of those guys. We don’t have draft picks for Wilson. Ballard is not trading  for Watson. Jimmy G needs elite play  makers around him. They have pro bowlers at skilled positions. 

Rodgers I think can do what Brady did and become a free agent after this season if he wants. He isn’t coming to the colts. He would go to a contender with lots of weapons. He probably stays in Green Bay or retires. He doesn’t advance the future either. If Wentz isn’t it it’s time to start the clock on a young QB.

Colts best option is get better at skill positions and I’d it doesn’t work look to the 23 draft. Or maybe there is one in the 22 draft that can backup Wentz and be the future.

I don't think our skill positions are that far off, we really just need a good TE, and a good WR

I think you take the hit.  The 15 million dead hit is 1 year, not long term.

I think you bring in another guy to compete for the starting job. A serious competition.  Its funny, as much as Ballard preaches competition at every position(and he does all the time),  we havent seen a SERIOUS competition there.  Interesting.  The most important position with the least competition and depth.   Bring in a guy on a prove-it, draft if feasible, but bring in a guy you think can possibly lead us .  Sam is fine to compete but i hardly see him as the ultimate answer.  If Carsin cant handle the competition, then we dont want him anyhow.

Spend the money next year to hedge (similar to Rivers/Jb) at Qb.  My gut says Wentz wont be here after ‘22.  Outside chance the do cut him to save $7, but at the very least since u already spent the $15, $7 million is mighty cheap for a backup with his skills.  

Rodgers and Wilson haven’t asked to leave either. Wilson said he wants to stay in Seattle. 

Rodgers renegotiated his contract, and 2023 is now a void year (because he wanted to leave).... So 2022 is more or less a contract year for him.

In short, if GB wants to get anything out of him, they'll need to trade him this offseason. It's either that, or pay him to play in 22, and let him walk out the door for nothing after next season. 

Doubt we'll mortgage the future to get him, but you never know.

I think we roll with Wentz one more year. It makes sense. I absolutely would not rule out Ballard making a run at an elite guy though. Wouldn't surprise me a little bit. Irsay wants to win, Cap space can be made. Future picks can be packaged.

Worst case scenario if we continue to regress from the this year to next like we did from last year to this year, and Wentz stinks it up. Then we might actually be in position to trade up to the top of the 1st round and draft a guy, we will be clear of Wentz contact I believe also.

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Rodgers renegotiated his contract, and 2023 is now a void year (because he wanted to leave).... So 2022 is more or less a contract year for him.

In short, if GB wants to get anything out of him, they'll need to trade him this offseason. It's either that, or pay him to play in 22, and let him walk out the door for nothing after next season. 

Doubt we'll mortgage the future to get him, but you never know.

Ok if that’s the case yeah they won’t.  You don’t mortgage the future for a 38 year old who may play only one year. He  retire then you’d have no first round picks next two years. Bad business decision.

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think we roll with Wentz one more year. It makes sense. I absolutely would not rule out Ballard making a run at an elite guy though. Wouldn't surprise me a little bit. Irsay wants to win, Cap space can be made. Future picks can be packaged.

Worst case scenario if we continue to regress from the this year to next like we did from last year to this year, and Wentz stinks it up. Then we might actually be in position to trade up to the top of the 1st round and draft a guy, we will be clear of Wentz contact I believe also.

We aren’t going to bundle future picks and mortgage our future. Not after what we just did for Wentz. Especially for a gut that might retire after one year. He retired then tiu have no firsts for two years.

We aren’t going to bundle future picks and mortgage our future. Not after what we just did for Wentz.

Lol just because you badly dont want it to happen doesn't mean it for sure wont. I have my doubts as well, but like East said you never know. By the sounds of things Jim is super pi* off and not happy with Wentz play.

• Shive changed the title to I don't see Irsay paying Wentz 22 Million

Ok if that’s the case yeah they won’t.  You don’t mortgage the future for a 38 year old who may play only one year. He  retire then you’d have no first round picks next two years. Bad business decision.

If Indy were to go after him, or anyone for that matter, it would likely be trade + sign +extend situation. In short, AR would be an important component in the decision, and the one year means he'd be able to call his own shot in terms of which team he went too. 

And not sure AR would find Indy attractive given our scheme and pass catchers right now. Going after him would mean giving up draft capital, and eat cap that would be required for upgrading pass catchers. We'd likely have to give up a tier 1 guy (like a Defo) and perhaps more to make things work. 

Personally, I'd stick with Wentz, stabilize the OL, improve WR, change play callers, and see what that gets you. 

If that doesn't work out next year, I'd move on from Wentz and Reich, and go all in on QB in 23 with a new HC. 

If we were to change QBs in 22, can't wait to hear the 5 QBs in 5 years excuses for Reich... lol.... 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Lol just because you badly dont want it to happen doesn't mean it for sure wont. I have my doubts as well, but like East said you never know. By the sounds of things Jim is super pi* off and not happy with Wentz play.

Ballard isn’t that stupid to do that again. Irsay isn’t that dumb. Let’s say you sign Rodgers. Give up two future  firsts. He plays for us in 22. We don’t win a SB. He retired. Then we don’t have a QB and no first for two years. That would get a GM fired.  It would be different if he or Wilson were free agents.

We just have to hope Wentz gets weapons and it improves. You could see in hard knocks tonight how much the guys like him.

2 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

should we trade for Jordan Love? He is also first rounder like Wentz

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

I saw someone mention that lol.

Ballard isn’t that stupid to do that again. Irsay isn’t that dumb. Let’s say you sign Rodgers. Give up two future  firsts. He plays for us in 22. We don’t win a SB. He retired. Then we don’t have a QB and no first for two years. That would get a GM fired.  It would be different if he or Wilson were free agents.

We just have to hope Wentz gets weapons and it improves. You could see in hard knocks tonight how much the guys like him.

I saw someone mention that lol.

I m not this active here but lately it is too much fun new threads new fantasies better than watching TV

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think you take the hit.  The 15 million dead hit is 1 year, not long term.

I think you bring in another guy to compete for the starting job. A serious competition.  Its funny, as much as Ballard preaches competition at every position(and he does all the time),  we havent seen a SERIOUS competition there.  Interesting.  The most important position with the least competition and depth.   Bring in a guy on a prove-it, draft if feasible, but bring in a guy you think can possibly lead us .  Sam is fine to compete but i hardly see him as the ultimate answer.  If Carsin cant handle the competition, then we dont want him anyhow.

Spend the money next year to hedge (similar to Rivers/Jb) at Qb.  My gut says Wentz wont be here after ‘22.  Outside chance the do cut him to save $7, but at the very least since u already spent the $15, $7 million is mighty cheap for a backup with his skills.  

We save £13 mill if Wentz is cut before 19th March or around that I believe. His cap hit figure for 2022 is £28 mill

4 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Wentz is due 7 million payment on I believe March 17 if not cut. This is throwing money away. While no one likes a dead cap of 15 million that beats a dead cap of 22 million which is what you would have with Wentz.

I believe we’re all going to see CW agree to take a restructured deal to help the team and himself.    I think it happens by the end of February at the latest.   I think Carson will see it’s in his best interest if he hopes to remain the starting quarterback here and try to save his career.   I think the last two weeks were a disaster for him.  I think he will accommodate us.  

I think Buckner and Stewart may be asked to restructure as well.   I have been reading that we have roughly $56 mill to spend this off-season.  But today, I read that Spotrac now has us with inky $46 mill in cap space and Over The Cap has us with just $43 mill.   So, IMO, we clearly have a need to restructure to gain more cap space.   

Hell, we might even ask Leonard and Smith to restructure.  Anything is possible now.  All bets are off. 

Decisions from Doyle and TYH become even more interesting and problematic.    

This off-season shapes up to be a wild and possibly bumpy ride…. 

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

UGH!  It was painful to even skim over some of this incessant, repetitive gar-bage. 

What did you think would happen after that dumpster fire in TIAA? I sat there and listened to Jags fans beg the Colts to sign Wentz to a lifetime contract. 

A guy like Jim Caldwell will have them in the 9-8 win area and playoff contenders.

9 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

He gave Luck 26 million to retire so how is this throwing money away?

The Colts will move on from Wentz, but it won’t be this season. Ballard also isn’t trading for anyone.

The wildest thing you may see at the QB position is a surprise 2nd round pick, but that’s about it. There’s just no way Ballard is going to spend draft picks and lose money on Wentz. That would be hard to explain to Irsay as well. Having no 1st round pick, a dead cap hit, and then no real starting QB would be a horrible spot to be in

Archived