Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hooded one using Hard Knocks as scouting film...

csmopar

I’ve heard many comments that a lot of food is revealed on hard knocks…now I know why BB is scouting it. He sees what they are eating and he knows how many calories are consumed and just how much energy the calories will produce for each player..then he knows how much he has to have his players go after each player until their energy is depleted. Genius guy I mean genius haha 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

TB's secondary is good, especially their Ss. We just spread them out and took mostly the 0-10 yard stuff vs their CBs and LBs. Their LBs are probably the weak link vs the pass. 

Not sure if we can do that vs the Pats. We can throw vs Mills (CB2), but Jackson (CB1) and Dugger (star DB) are studs and better CBs than TBs. Their best S is a box safety, further making it harder to use the same tactic we did vs TB. Then add in that Van Noy (OLB) has the most PDs than any LB in the league. 

In short, I'm sure we'll try to throw on them, but likely in a different way. IMO, we might have to test them deep, or use our size regardless of depth. 

Regardless of what you think of TB talent level, NE is better. Not much to discuss. 

14 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Regardless of what you think of TB talent level, NE is better. Not much to discuss. 

They are just different.

From a QB's perspective (tougher in area)

Sacks: TB (35 vs 32)

Pressures: TB (151 vs 129)

INTs: NE (19 vs 15)

CBs: NE

FS: TB

SS: NE

From a RB's perspective

Run D: TB and not even close

Overall D Coaching: NE

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Guys you are clearly missing what’s going on.  The Colts being on Hard Knocks was all a setup by the hoody so he could have his guys film the Colts and steal things for this game.  Clever guy that hoody…

Where do you think HBO found all the camera guys?  They’ve been out of work since spygate.

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  Some of you should really be charging the Pats rent for the amount of space they own in your heads.

2.  The Colts get final say in what is aired on hard knocks so they aren’t going to let something air that’s going to give away a huge advantage.

3.  If there was really much to gain from hard knocks teams would have been using it to scout years ago and teams would be aware of that and either not do the show or make sure nothing sensitive to a game plan aired.  

4.  The game film every team in the league has access too is going to give you about a million times more than the hard knocks stuff.

If the Pats own the space, good luck with charging rent....  ; P

13 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think they will get much into our gameplan out of watching it, but there are certainly things to pick up.

For one, trash talk is a big thing in the NFL -- I don't think Belichek has boundaries he abides by when it comes to winning, though certain players do..  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2014/01/27/super-bowl-trash-talk-warren-sapp-keyshawn-johnson-terrell-suggs-shannon-sharpe--richard-sherman/4947983/ (a good read to get some insight).  For example, from that article

Johnson: "I was more straight-to-the gut sarcasm, slick tone: If a guy was married or had a girlfriend, I would say stuff like, 'Tell your girlfriend to stop cheering for me. Or tell your wife and kids to stop cheering for me.' It cut straight to the chase.

"It's all fair game. I'd talk about their mother, their father. It was all fair game."

From watching Hard Knocks, the world (and Patriots) know Wentz recently had a 2nd daughter... they know his kids' names, his wife's name (not like they couldn't find that out, but it is just easier).  They know Leonard talked about mental health issues because he lost his brother when he was 12 years old (I would hope nobody would bring that up, but who knows?).  They know certain things about Buckner (he sucks at baking cookies, his wife's name, what she was wearing in his home, etc.).  They now know things like this about a lot of players on the Colts which they may have had to do further investigation on..... ideally, none of these are game breakers, but who knows... let's say it is tied up at 10-10 late in 4th quarter and they have a 4th and 1, we stuff them and it gets to pushing and shoving and their center says something personal to one of our guys and they get a personal foul on it.. that'd be scouting.

The other thing, although there are limited clips from practice and preparation, there are clips of guys walking around (potentially limping), clips of guys with braces or ice on, clips of guys getting work done (e.g., when Darius talks about his mental health struggle, he's getting his left ankle taped), etc.... again, hopefully not gamebreaking stuff but the Pats can get a decent idea of who is healthy, who is nursing injuries and where on their body they are, etc..

This is a major reach. And honestly, none of this is secret information that isn't already public knowledge, or couldn't be picked up by scrolling players' social media accounts.

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Whether or not they can gain anything from it or not(I’ve not seen any of it, but any video will provide information if one is keen enough to look even if you’re unaware of it yourself) , the fact is, it’s now more video and potentially any information from it can be used. However trivial it may or may not be. 

You are better than this. You are one of the better posters in here and you actually believe BB can gain anything to use against us watching Hard Knocks? Hey it is your opinion so I won't bash it.

Even after all these years, Colts-Pats is never boring. Hello and Happy Holidays to you guys. 

This "story" is not a story at all... it's the NFL promoting the show. Belichick, in typical fashion, made a vague, broad-swooping statement without mentioning the name "Hard Knocks." Maybe it was in the actual question, but it certainly didn't show up in his answer. 

Good luck Sunday, hoping for a good, injury-free game. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a major reach. And honestly, none of this is secret information that isn't already public knowledge, or couldn't be picked up by scrolling players' social media accounts.

I don't think it's a major reach at all. A lot of stuff could be learned on social media though actually seeing players interact on TV likely makes certain things easier to pick on. Hopefully nothing malicious, but certainly little things to get under one's skin can be picked up.

Also, using the hardknocks tape to see things like who is icing up, wearing  braces, getting treatment etc, imo can be more valuable than just a weekly injury report. You can see Maniac grimacing while getting that ankle worked on for example, it's not like 'oh, he sat out a few days of practice. ' it's 'this dude is in serious pain. Maybe we should run to his right early and often to see if we can put a lot of pressure on that left ankle. '

23 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Even after all these years, Colts-Pats is never boring. Hello and Happy Holidays to you guys. 

This "story" is not a story at all... it's the NFL promoting the show. Belichick, in typical fashion, made a vague, broad-swooping statement without mentioning the name "Hard Knocks." Maybe it was in the actual question, but it certainly didn't show up in his answer. 

Good luck Sunday, hoping for a good, injury-free game. 

Yeah I want this to be a rivalry again but we need to at least beat you guys to get some respect back. You have owned us since 2009. Should be a great game. I am surprised the Colts are favored by 2.5. I see this as more of a pick'em game. I think we will win mainly because we need the game more and it is at home. Wentz is better than most think, he gets a bad rap outside of Indy but he has played good this year. Taylor and our O.Line are really tough. The Pats D is impressive and for a rookie QB, Mac has done what he supposed too. He just wins by not making mistakes and takes what a D gives him = smart, that is all that matters. Typical BB coached team. Our D is iffy but we are great at getting Turnovers, problem is the Pats don't turnover it over much.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I want this to be a rivalry again but we need to at least beat you guys to get some respect back. You have owned us since 2009. Should be a great game. I am surprised the Colts are favored by 2.5. I see this as more of a pick'em game. I think we will win mainly because we need the game more and it is at home. Wentz is better than most think, he gets a bad rap outside of Indy but he has played good this year. Taylor and our O.Line are really tough. The Pats D is impressive and for a rookie QB, Mac has done what he supposed too. He just wins by not making mistakes and takes what a D gives him = smart, that is all that matters. Typical BB coached team. Our D is iffy but we are great at getting Turnovers, problem is the Pats don't turnover it much.  

Howdy there sir! Hope you and yours are well. 

This is a really interesting game and a tough one to predict. I can see a scenario where Taylor has a huge day but the game still stays close until the end. 

This is also the first Indy-NE game where both Manning and Brady have moved on. Kind of surreal but it's been 20+ years since these teams have met with neither of those guys playing.

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think it's a major reach at all. A lot of stuff could be learned on social media though actually seeing players interact on TV likely makes certain things easier to pick on. Hopefully nothing malicious, but certainly little things to get under one's skin can be picked up.

Also, using the hardknocks tape to see things like who is icing up, wearing  braces, getting treatment etc, imo can be more valuable than just a weekly injury report. You can see Maniac grimacing while getting that ankle worked on for example, it's not like 'oh, he sat out a few days of practice. ' it's 'this dude is in serious pain. Maybe we should run to his right early and often to see if we can put a lot of pressure on that left ankle. '

Of course, we disagree on this.

As far as smack talk, think about the guys mentioned in the article you posted. None of them even played during the social media era. Still, they found ways to make their smack talk personal. Hard Knocks is superfluous, if anything.

And as for injuries, this is the perspective of a fan who is getting some extra insight into what happens inside the building. Coaches and players around the league know that if a guy shows up on the injury report, he's getting treatment throughout the week. Before Hard Knocks even started, we all saw DL laboring around the field on game day, we saw his ankle heavily wrapped, etc. His injury status -- along with anyone on the injury report -- isn't inside information. 

For NFL people, the behind the scenes stuff is routine, common knowledge. It's insightful for us, not probably not for them. Between injury reports, pressers, and seeing guys on game day, BB isn't learning anything new about injuries from HK. 

The team has veto power to ensure nothing damaging or revealing can be aired, and our HK footage has been virtually harmless. I actually think HK during training camp can be more revealing, as it relates to position battles for end of roster guys. There's still not a lot of inside info given up, if any.

The only concern I have about HK is whether it's a distraction to the team, and it probably is, on some level. But honestly, having an inside look at the way the people on this team interact with one another, it kind of reinforces management's focus on character. It seems like having the right kind of guys on the team, who can weather the storm when things are rough, has formed a resilient and focused culture, no one is putting their own wants ahead of the team's needs. Even Marlon Mack, who can't be happy, isn't rocking the boat. They've done a good job of creating the culture they wanted inside the building.

1 minute ago, GoPats said:

Howdy there sir! Hope you and yours are well. 

This is a really interesting game and a tough one to predict. I can see a scenario where Taylor has a huge day but the game still stays close until the end. 

This is also the first Indy-NE game where both Manning and Brady have moved on. Kind of surreal but it's been 20+ years since these teams have met with neither of those guys playing.

Yeah I hope you and your family are doing well too. Nice to chat with you again :thmup:. You are basically my age so we have seen the funny 1-15 days back in the early 90's by both teams. We will never have Tom vs Peyton again, that was the best ever's going at it. These new core teams each team has are good though. Colts have blown a few games this year but are good overall. Pats are going to win their division even if you lose this game. You have Buffalo's number. They sweep Buffalo it is over. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

But honestly, having an inside look at the way the people on this team interact with one another, it kind of reinforces management's focus on character.

That is certainly a thing that some teams might glean from.......but that would not be the Patriots this Saturday. 

The Cowboys and Bengals might take note.....

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are better than this. You are one of the better posters in here and you actually believe BB can gain anything to use against us watching Hard Knocks? Hey it is your opinion so I won't bash it.

To be honest no I don’t know if he can or cannot get anything from it. But my point is that you don’t risk it. No matter how small that may be. You’re talking about a guy who deflated balls what, half a pound to try and get an advantage? This guy is clever and sneaky. I wouldn’t put it past him to find something in there that no one else would even notice.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

To be honest no I don’t know if he can or cannot get anything from it. But my point is that you don’t risk it. No matter how small that may be. You’re talking about a guy who deflated balls what, half a pound to try and get an advantage? This guy is clever and sneaky. I wouldn’t put it past him to find something in there that no one else would even notice.

I know a lot of people are on edge this week, this is a gigantic game playing BB. We win this we will get tons of respect and make the Pats think come playoff time. Plus a win puts us at damn near 90% making the playoffs. We have blown so many games against good teams like the Rams, Titans, and Ravens that you would think the Football Gods will have our back come Saturday.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would love it if somehow if it was us and them like the old days for the AFC Title. Really IMO teams 2-7 are all fairly even, I still think KC is the team to beat in the AFC but they are even beatable. Bills can even beat anyone.

It’s  wild to see how close these teams are. Even the teams that are 8-10 could probably beat any of the teams ahead of them.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s  wild to see how close these teams are. Even the teams that are 8-10 could probably beat any of the teams ahead of them.

Yeah it is crazy, it is a matter of who executes in the close games and makes the one or two crucial play to win a game - we didn't at Ravens or vs Titans. I made a post a few days ago and said the Colts could easily be rated the 2nd best team in the AFC, seems laughable but what if we beat the Pats? When it comes to the Titans, I just don't believe they are any better than we are. Same for the Ravens. That was just 2 games we handed to them on a silver platter. If we beat the Pats that will tell me what I need to know. We may run the table and go 11-6 if we win that game. Not saying we will but that would be a huge confidence boost. 

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is crazy, it is a matter of who executes in the close games and makes the one or two crucial play to win a game - we didn't at Ravens or vs Titans. I made a post a few days ago and said the Colts could easily be rated the 2nd best team in the AFC, seems laughable but what if we beat the Pats? When it comes to the Titans, I just don't believe they are any better than we are. Same for the Ravens. That was just 2 games we handed to them on a silver platter. If we beat the Pats that will tell me what I need to know. We may run the table and go 11-6 if we win that game. Not saying we will but that would be a huge confidence boost. 

I agree with this but it’s a tall mountain to climb 

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say it again had Wentz and oline not missed camp and that Titans game wasn’t effected by his ankles we would be the number one seed. That video I posted with the pats colts review yesterday those guys even said colts are a 3 loss team.

31 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I will say it again had Wentz and oline not missed camp and that Titans game wasn’t effected by his ankles we would be the number one seed. That video I posted with the pats colts review yesterday those guys even said colts are a 3 loss team.

Yeah I just seen an interview with BB and he said they even gave 2 games away in OT. He knows this won't be easy. Game of the year possibly? Even Mia Kimes said it is, which made me go Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- more like the Marge face.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

My stance will not change 

That’s fine you are entitled to your opinion.  However, just reading this thread it comes across like you just don’t like that the Colts did this show based on how you thought it would go without watching a show and were trying to use this story to go see I was right.  Then you aren’t willing to listen to people who have watched the show and are trying to tell you what you think is going on on the show isn’t.  That comes across as your opinion must be right and you aren’t willing to listen to facts that might say otherwise.  If that’s what you want to do that’s fine but at least for me it’s hard to listen to opinions that aren’t willing to listen to fact.  

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s fine you are entitled to your opinion.  However, just reading this thread it comes across like you just don’t like that the Colts did this show based on how you thought it would go without watching a show and were trying to use this story to go see I was right.  Then you aren’t willing to listen to people who have watched the show and are trying to tell you what you think is going on on the show isn’t.  That comes across as your opinion must be right and you aren’t willing to listen to facts that might say otherwise.  If that’s what you want to do that’s fine but at least for me it’s hard to listen to opinions that aren’t willing to listen to fact.  

Oh I listen to other opinions, but that doesn’t mean those opinions will change mine

23 hours ago, Four2itus said:

That is certainly a thing that some teams might glean from.......but that would not be the Patriots this Saturday. 

The Cowboys and Bengals might take note.....

The Jaguars latest mess shows it starts at the top.

In fact, the comments about Jim Irsay from his daughters, during last night's HK episode, give some additional insight into that. Jim saw his father's tyrannical tenure, and was deeply affected by it. He wanted to install a completely different culture on his own watch. He has definitely done that.

At times, there have been some big personalities in the front office, some clashes between GM and coach, between staff and players. That's to be expected. But nothing like what just happened with the Jags would ever happen with the Colts. Irsay stepped right in during the Grigson/Pagano ordeal, which is probably something that mushroomed during a time when Irsay had to step away due to his personal issues.

And now, it seems like he has two guys that embody the culture he wants, in Ballard and Reich. It explains their new extensions, and it gives some insight into what kind of players will and won't be considered for the roster.

22 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

That game was not at all on Wentz.   Reich lost that game.   

On 12/14/2021 at 2:33 PM, csmopar said:

Yep. And now you all know why I was so against this hard knocks crap. We just gave the hooded one that much more film to prepare for us. Not smart

https://www.nfl.com/news/bill-belichick-scouting-hard-knocks-in-season-in-preparation-for-matchup-against

U don't need hard knocks to scout this team. Bill has played this style of D many times and has destroyed it. 

Archived