Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We don't need to trade for Foles....

jshipp23

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t think having the guy who replaced Wentz once and won a Super Bowl is going to create drama?

No.   Foles knows he’s the backup.  Wentz knows Foles is not brought in to take his job.  They didn’t have drama then, why should there be drama this time?

I think Foles was as fanatical as he was today because he knows it will work and there won’t be drama. 

Again, I should state, I think Wentz will be back for the start of the regular season.  Now whether Eason is ready to be the backup is another story. 

If you don’t want Foles, who would you bring in to fill-in if need be?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, krunk said:

Hes only talking about for right now until Wentz is back. Sure it can be adjusted if his(Eason) performance is horrible. Maybe you consider a vet from there.

Two different quotes

Yup. Overall, I'm taking it as, Eason has first crack at the job, and it's his to lose. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   Foles knows he’s the backup.  Wentz knows Foles is not brought in to take his job.  They didn’t have drama then, why should there be drama this time?

I think Foles was as fanatical as he was today because he knows it will work and there won’t be drama. 

Again, I should state, I think Wentz will be back for the start of the regular season.  Now whether Eason is ready to be the backup is another story. 

Not sure if there was drama between the two players, but there was plenty of drama in the media and with the fan base. Foles got a statue before the start of the next season, and many fans were calling for him to get the starting job. There was also rumored divide in the locker room. And I doubt Foles simply embraced being a backup in 2018. I'm sure he felt he could be a starter.

Overall, just not a situation I'd like to replicate here. And I'd bring in Mariota before I'd bring in Foles.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if there was drama between the two players, but there was plenty of drama in the media and with the fan base. Foles got a statue before the start of the next season, and many fans were calling for him to get the starting job. There was also rumored divide in the locker room. And I doubt Foles simply embraced being a backup in 2018. I'm sure he felt he could be a starter.

Overall, just not a situation I'd like to replicate here. And I'd bring in Mariota before I'd bring in Foles.

There’s a difference between Foles and Mariotta who may be the better player, but he’s the Raiders QB2, so he will cost more to bring in.  Foles is the Bears QB3 and will cost less.   Foles is also familiar with Reich’s system and that’s a big advantage. 

As for everything else, I didn’t see anything that reflects on Foles or Wentz.  All the other noise reflects Philly media, Philly fans, and the Philly franchise.   

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's what I read.

“The job is Jacob’s right now … and he’s gotta earn it,” Reich said, via Zak Keefer of TheAthletic.com. “But he’s in the driver’s seat.”

No he did say it’s his show in the presser.I went back and listened.  But like everyone said he means right now. That can change if Eason looks bad in the preseason. 

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

My feeling for saying it’s “crazy” is we just don’t seem to have the best of luck. That’s all I’m saying. We still have a good time so I’m not to worried. Only two players in Nelson or Buckner would have me freaking out. 

But you were so confident it was a sprain

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you don’t think the media is licking their chops at the idea of Foles replacing Wentz again because the story writes itself then you don’t know the media.  

Ive already gone on record saying I don’t think the Colts are going to trade for anyone.  For better or worse I think the fillin is going to be Eason because the Colts view the Wentz injury as short term.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s a difference between Foles and Mariotta who may be the better player, but he’s the Raiders QB2, so he will cost more to bring in.  Foles is the Bears QB3 and will cost less.   Foles is also familiar with Reich’s system and that’s a big advantage. 

As for everything else, I didn’t see anything that reflects on Foles or Wentz.  All the other noise reflects Philly media, Philly fans, and the Philly franchise.   

Rumor is, LVR was already trying to deal him. Asked for a 3rd. He's in a contract year so they'd likely prefer to get something out of it. His contract is also about half of what Foles's is dollar wise.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

No he did say it’s his show in the presser.I went back and listened.  But like everyone said he means right now. That can change if Eason looks bad in the preseason. 

I'm sure he said that. Be he also said what I posted... So in short, and to be clear.... It's his show "right now", his job to lose, but he's got to learn it.

That's a whole lot of coach speak saying basically Eason is Plan B at this point in time, but that could change.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm sure he said that. Be he also said what I posted... So in short, and to be clear.... It's his show "right now", his job to lose, but he's got to learn it.

That's a whole lot of coach speak saying basically Eason is Plan B at this point in time, but that could change.

Pretty straight forward to me. It was clear. It’s Easons to lose. If he looks bad they can look at other options. No coach speak. It was clear in the presser what he meant. He has to show he can handle it or he can lose it.

3 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

Not if he's a true Christian.

What does that have to do with the price of eggs (what my granny would always say)

im a Christian, I know lots of Christians and they cause just as much drama as the next person who isn’t 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Pretty straight forward to me. It was clear. It’s Easons to lose. If he looks bad they can look at other options. No coach speak. It was clear in the presser what he meant. He has to show he can handle it or he can lose it.

You and I have different definitions for straight forward I guess. 

Straight forward to me would be.... "Eason's been up and down so far, getting his first meaningful 1st team snaps. He'll get our first look, and then we'll go from there..."

Just my opinion, but saying things like "it's his show" while also saying "now" or "he's got to earn it", are in conflict. But we've come to expect conflicting narratives, which is what coach speak is all about. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

What does that have to do with the price of eggs (what my granny would always say)

im a Christian, I know lots of Christians and they cause just as much drama as the next person who isn’t 

Gonna guess there might have been some sarcasm/joking in his reply. 

If not, he lost me too lol

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you don’t think the media is licking their chops at the idea of Foles replacing Wentz again because the story writes itself then you don’t know the media.  

Ive already gone on record saying I don’t think the Colts are going to trade for anyone.  For better or worse I think the fillin is going to be Eason because the Colts view the Wentz injury as short term.

Even if Wentz starts week #1, and Eason is the backup, suppose Eason shows in the pre-season that he’s not ready?    That we need a more legitimate ready backup?

Then what?

Again, I don’t know why you write the sentence that Foles would be replacing Wentz, when he won’t.   He’d be the backup.  Now, I’m sure there’s some questionable media who’d mis-read this and write something false and misleading.  But I’m not responsible for them.  I just don’t see Ballard and Reich shrinking from Foles — if that’s who they want — out of fear from the media. 

And thanks for the laugh writing I don’t know the media.  I needed that!   That’s a good one!    Keep ‘em coming!      :thmup:

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Rumor is, LVR was already trying to deal him. Asked for a 3rd. He's in a contract year so they'd likely prefer to get something out of it. His contract is also about half of what Foles's is dollar wise.

Right, a third for Mariotta.

As opposed to perhaps a five for someone like Foles.   That makes the choice even easier for me. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right, a third for Mariotta.

As opposed to perhaps a five for someone like Foles.   That makes the choice even easier for me. 

Asking price is well, just an asking price. You always float high.... 

NFL.com today mentioned a 5th, while ESPN (DanO) said 4th or 5th. 

Regardless, really doubt they'd get any 3rd offers. And I'd bet they would take less just to get "something" in a contract year.

And Foles would cost twice as much almost.

I really doubt they'll trade for anyone unless they think Carson is going to miss the threshold of games (5-6) anyway.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Asking price is well, just an asking price. You always float high.... 

NFL.com today mentioned a 5th, while ESPN (DanO) said 4th or 5th. 

Regardless, really doubt they'd get any 3rd offers. And I'd bet they would take less just to get "something" in a contract year.

And Foles would cost twice as much almost.

I really doubt they'll trade for anyone unless they think Carson is going to miss the threshold of games (5-6) anyway.

That last sentence I 100 percent agree with.   I’ve been writing that everywhere.    

But even if Wentz  is back for the start of the regular season,  if Eason doesn’t nail down the backup spot, then we’ll have to go shopping for a new QB2.   I’m pulling for Eason, but he’s got to win it. 

I honestly believe we don’t need to pick anyone at QB. If they feel it’s a need I roll. Load management will be key regardless. It’s going to be interesting to see. Our bye week is week 14. Long stretch of games. I also hope they don’t force him to play. Can’t play in pain. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You and I have different definitions for straight forward I guess. 

Straight forward to me would be.... "Eason's been up and down so far, getting his first meaningful 1st team snaps. He'll get our first look, and then we'll go from there..."

Just my opinion, but saying things like "it's his show" while also saying "now" or "he's got to earn it", are in conflict. But we've come to expect conflicting narratives, which is what coach speak is all about. 

Gonna guess there might have been some sarcasm/joking in his reply. 

If not, he lost me too lol

yes, posted with tongue planted firmly in cheek...

but if Carson is the man he professes to be there is no drama.

love thy neighbor 

forgive and forget 

do onto others

etc. on and on 

but ethics and human nature are two different things 

if you are talking media/press, ha ha ha 

yeah there's gonna be drama 

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's odd how close their career numbers are.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariMa01.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

I think Foles would be the better option.   Cheaper to get and is fond of Reich.  

7 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

yes, posted with tongue planted firmly in cheek...

but if Carson is the man he professes to be there is no drama.

love thy neighbor 

forgive and forget 

do onto others

etc. on and on 

but ethics and human nature are two different things 

if you are talking media/press, ha ha ha 

yeah there's gonna be drama 

That's what I figured brother.

And yup..... it would be a move that begs for drama.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Even if Wentz starts week #1, and Eason is the backup, suppose Eason shows in the pre-season that he’s not ready?    That we need a more legitimate ready backup?

Then what?

Again, I don’t know why you write the sentence that Foles would be replacing Wentz, when he won’t.   He’d be the backup.  Now, I’m sure there’s some questionable media who’d mis-read this and write something false and misleading.  But I’m not responsible for them.  I just don’t see Ballard and Reich shrinking from Foles — if that’s who they want — out of fear from the media. 

And thanks for the laugh writing I don’t know the media.  I needed that!   That’s a good one!    Keep ‘em coming!      :thmup:

Well you do know how the media works and you know full well those questionable sorts not only exist, but thrive on this type of "speculation", which in my opinion is borderline meddling. The problem with that is you can't ignore them as they still have high profile jobs because what they do is clickbait and gets ratings. They survived the winter cuts by providing content based on hearsay and we know that has been well established in another thread about this same issue, but I'm not here to crosspost.

Foles might be a good fit under normal circumstances but these aren't normal circumstances. There is no way in hell as a GM that for one, I spend a conditional 1st round pick and a 3rd to get a QB, then spend more draft capital to acquire his "replacement" who was already a replacement for the same dude and potentially create toxicity in the locker room and make Indianapolis the nerve center of the ambulance chasers within the media, without first giving a homegrown dude I already spent a pick on a shot to do what we drafted him for. To me the very notion of even considering Foles for the job at this point is just someone begging for this drama because there is no logical reason for it whatever. Yeah let's mortgage what's left of next year's draft for a back up QB and then watch people leave town in droves because of a toxic locker room that's taken 5 years to get where it is today so we can give the shills in the media some job security. It's preposterous.

16 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Well you do know how the media works and you know full well those questionable sorts not only exist, but thrive on this type of "speculation", which in my opinion is borderline meddling. The problem with that is you can't ignore them as they still have high profile jobs because what they do is clickbait and gets ratings. They survived the winter cuts by providing content based on hearsay and we know that has been well established in another thread about this same issue, but I'm not here to crosspost.

Foles might be a good fit under normal circumstances but these aren't normal circumstances. There is no way in hell as a GM that for one, I spend a conditional 1st round pick and a 3rd to get a QB, then spend more draft capital to acquire his "replacement" who was already a replacement for the same dude and potentially create toxicity in the locker room and make Indianapolis the nerve center of the ambulance chasers within the media, without first giving a homegrown dude I already spent a pick on a shot to do what we drafted him for. To me the very notion of even considering Foles for the job at this point is just someone begging for this drama because there is no logical reason for it whatever. Yeah let's mortgage what's left of next year's draft for a back up QB and then watch people leave town in droves because of a toxic locker room that's taken 5 years to get where it is today so we can give the shills in the media some job security. It's preposterous.

I’m torn….

Between responding….   And not. 

So, I’ll see if I can’t find some middle ground….  

Note:   I tried to write a middle ground approach post and I thought that it might get me suspended.  And, no offense, but you’re not worth that.  

So, I’ll simply say I agreed with almost nothing.  I strongly disagreed with everything else.   You and I clearly see things differently.  Doesn’t make you wrong or me right.  Just really,  really different.   You go on and live your life and I’ll live mine.  I think we’ll be most comfortable that way. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m torn….

Between responding….   And not. 

So, I’ll see if I can’t find some middle ground….  

Note:   I tried to write a middle ground approach post and I thought that it might get me suspended.  And, no offense, but you’re not worth that.  

So, I’ll simply say I agreed with almost nothing.  I strongly disagreed with everything else.   You and I clearly see things differently.  Doesn’t make you wrong or me right.  Just really,  really different.   You go on and live your life and I’ll live mine.  I think we’ll be most comfortable that way. 

Good luck. 

Yeah well if me disagreeing with the notion of spending draft capital on a 32 year old QB that is a backup for Andy Dalton and comes with baggage offends you so much, I don't know what to tell you. 

20 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Yeah well if me disagreeing with the notion of spending draft capital on a 32 year old QB that is a backup for Andy Dalton and comes with baggage offends you so much, I don't know what to tell you. 

Of course, that’s not quite what you said.   You had a long grocery list of observations that I thought were absurd and supported by zero facts and tons of opinion. 

But you’re not the first poster to try and move the goal line when the first position doesn’t go well.   And I’m quite sure you’ll find a way to tell me when the time suits you. 

Good luck.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course, that’s not quite what you said.   You had a long grocery list of observations that I thought were absurd and supported by zero facts and tons of opinion. 

But you’re not the first poster to try and move the goal line when the first position doesn’t go well.   And I’m quite sure you’ll find a way to tell me when the time suits you. 

Good luck.  

What about the media being the ones who are asking these questions at a Bears press conference? They are the ones coming up with this tripe and pushing it. Reich hasn't talked to him, but as usual it's got everyone all worked up. I'm not retracting that part of my statement either. To me it's a preposterous notion but regardless of what the real cost of a deal like that would be, the media is all over it because, drama. That's not a new thing.

8 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

What about the media being the ones who are asking these questions at a Bears press conference? They are the ones coming up with this tripe and pushing it. Reich hasn't talked to him, but as usual it's got everyone all worked up. I'm not retracting that part of my statement either. To me it's a preposterous notion but regardless of what the real cost of a deal like that would be, the media is all over it because, drama. That's not a new thing.

We really shouldn’t talk about it.  Whatever I could say, and I could say plenty,  you wouldn’t agree with a word of it.   

Joe, it’s pretty obvious you hate the media.  HATE!   H-A-T-E!   And nothing I write is going to change that.   I’m not bothered or offended by anyone who is not a fan of the media.   There’s plenty wrong with the media.  But your reaction and views are, IMO,  all out of whack with reality.  

You act as if you or your family has been personally hurt by the media.   I just believe this feels personal to you.  You’re not going to change your mind because I explain what and why they do what they do.    I just don’t think I can help you. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We really shouldn’t talk about it.  Whatever I could say, and I could say plenty,  you wouldn’t agree with a word of it.   

Joe, it’s pretty obvious you hate the media.  HATE!   H-A-T-E!   And nothing I write is going to change that.   I’m not bothered or offended by anyone who is not a fan of the media.   There’s plenty wrong with the media.  But your reaction and views are, IMO,  all out of whack with reality.  

You act as if you or your family has been personally hurt by the media.   I just believe this feels personal to you.  You’re not going to change your mind because I explain what and why they do what they do.    I just don’t think I can help you. 

Damn right it's personal. But I'm not delusional. 

marshawn lynch GIF

I think when it comes to the media they can be very influential on the way people think. Especially today with the Internet and so many sports channels. Some media do like drama but not all, not all media is bad, you have your bad one's and good one's like anything else. On the Defcon scale with the media I am at a 3 out 5 which is in the middle. Some guys I like, some I don't. Looks like ol' Joe is at a 1 lmao .

I think JMV is fantastic for an example but to me Dakich is a you know what and is just rude IMO.

Archived