Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We don't need to trade for Foles....

jshipp23

18 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Damn right it's personal. But I'm not delusional. 

marshawn lynch GIF

You’re an angry man, Joe.   But I don’t think that anger helps you here.  I think it’s the opposite.   Maybe that anger helps you elsewhere in other ways, but not here.  

I wish you well.   Good luck. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re an angry man, Joe.   But I don’t think that anger helps you here.  I think it’s the opposite.   Maybe that anger helps you elsewhere in other ways, but not here.  

I wish you well.   Good luck. 

I didn't come here asking for help. I came here to talk about football. Football is an angry sport. Your opinion of me does not define who I am as a person, nor mine of you. I pointed something out that you didn't like, agree with or whatever but now you're attacking me personally. No need of it. I've never assumed as much to give my uninformed opinion about what kind of person I think you are to win a debate. That's not how I work either. I don't like how the mainstream media does things today, no matter what the subject matter is. If it's opinion, take what you want and leave the rest. That doesn't give them any kind of authority. What does is reporting facts. I expressed my opinion about the Foles situation and the media's role in it. Now you're expressing your opinion about me. To be honest I don't get how it went from there to here other than the fact that I pointed it out, again.

14 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

I didn't come here asking for help. I came here to talk about football. Football is an angry sport. Your opinion of me does not define who I am as a person, nor mine of you. I pointed something out that you didn't like, agree with or whatever but now you're attacking me personally. No need of it. I've never assumed as much to give my uninformed opinion about what kind of person I think you are to win a debate. That's not how I work either. I don't like how the mainstream media does things today, no matter what the subject matter is. If it's opinion, take what you want and leave the rest. That doesn't give them any kind of authority. What does is reporting facts. I expressed my opinion about the Foles situation and the media's role in it. Now you're expressing your opinion about me. To be honest I don't get how it went from there to here other than the fact that I pointed it out, again.

Joe, I’m happy to apologize.   I do not mean to attack you.   My comments are observational, nothing more.  

Note that in my first post to you I literally said our differences don’t make you wrong and me right,  just different.   That was true then and now.   I just don’t want to get into media debate with you because I see no upside.   I’m don’t see my explaining things and you changing your mind.   You have your views, and you’re not changing.   That’s fine.   But that’s why I choose not to engage.   What’s the point?    

Fair enough? 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Joe, I’m happy to apologize.   I do not mean to attack you.   My comments are observational, nothing more.  

Note that in my first post to you I literally said our differences don’t make you wrong and me right,  just different.   That was true then and now.   I just don’t want to get into media debate with you because I see no upside.   I’m don’t see my explaining things and you changing your mind.   You have your views, and you’re not changing.   That’s fine.   But that’s why I choose not to engage.   What’s the point?    

Fair enough? 

Bro I didn't use terms like out of touch with reality or angry to describe you. I have never once done that to you and never will. Relax man. I am the kind of guy who can have his mind changed but again ur right, I gotta have it done a certain way. I think that's true of all of us. No harm no foul man. And just because I don't like one reporter or two reporters doesn't mean I don't get how the media does things and about how this has become a multibillion dollar industry because of that dynamic. We are both smart enough to get that. I was in no way trying to say you do things like that, but at the same time I'm not gonna defend a Boss or a corporation who just wants to humiliate someone. It's just at some point it's like what are we doin here? Settin up a Space Jam sequel?

I'm cool with your opinions about the industry but when it comes to the locker room I do have a different opinion. I do appreciate your response.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:42 PM, a06cc said:

My feeling for saying it’s “crazy” is we just don’t seem to have the best of luck. That’s all I’m saying. We still have a good time so I’m not to worried. Only two players in Nelson or Buckner would have me freaking out. 

You just had to go there. :)

On 8/2/2021 at 7:37 PM, EastStreet said:

Overall he's 7-13 in two years. 1-7 last year. 

But we know Jax was a complete mess all over the place. Arguably the worst D in the league. Bottom 5 running team too although Robinson did well at times. Bottom 10 OL too.

So not sure we can fault him for not "leading"... 

Jags have made a lot of moves, and have drafted well lately, so overall the roster is getting better, or will be better.

Agree ... They have drafted well, along with the FA moves. Also getting Lawrence, they are building a good football team. AFCS is going to be a tuff division going forward. Won't be anything like the Peyton years.

i would love the colts to trade for foles .  would you rather have a super bowl mvp playing week one or a mid round pick with zero experience ?  foles thrived in franks system and tore up a very good vikings defense in the afc championship game .  the vikings went like 13-3 with case kenium who is horrible .

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i would love the colts to trade for foles .  would you rather have a super bowl mvp playing week one or a mid round pick with zero experience ?  foles thrived in franks system and tore up a very good vikings defense in the afc championship game .  the vikings went like 13-3 with case kenium who is horrible .

I totally agree . The team is ready to win now. We can't afford to hopefully  develop a qb. Carson has to consider the situation and toughen up mentally if he is indeed threatened by Foles . If Rivers would come in early he would be an option too. Not sure how we could fit either under the cap . We also have to take the threat if covid possibly affecting the QB situation too.

5 hours ago, BrickHead said:

Agree ... They have drafted well, along with the FA moves. Also getting Lawrence, they are building a good football team. AFCS is going to be a tuff division going forward. Won't be anything like the Peyton years.

A few folks mentioned yesterday that it might be TN, Jax, IN, Houston..... in that order now given all the Indy injuries.

A ton hinges on Lawrence, but overall I think the quality of Jax has increased a lot. I don't see them as a playoff team yet, but I could see them approaching 500 this year.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's just the natural state of garbage journalism these days. 

I really wouldn't even call it journalism. At least 50% click bait these days.

They want it because it creates drama. The colts will never do this to Carson I believe. Plus they don’t want the media circus. What if Wentz struggled early they would be calling for Foles. Foles has a personality people gravitate to and that would just hurt Wentz.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

They want it because it creates drama. The colts will never do this to Carson I believe. Plus they don’t want the media circus. What if Wentz struggled early they would be calling for Foles. Foles has a personality people gravitate to and that would just hurt Wentz.

I really doubt Ballard would buy into it. Aside from all the potential drama, he's just not that good. I'm not buying into the fantasy that Reich can make him good. There's a reason why he's bounced around a lot, and a reason he's 3rd on the current depth chart.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I really doubt Ballard would buy into it. Aside from all the potential drama, he's just not that good. I'm not buying into the fantasy that Reich can make him good. There's a reason why he's bounced around a lot, and a reason he's 3rd on the current depth chart.

He would be a dependable back up that could hold the fort down until Wentz is ready to go. He's not a good fit for the Bears and the Bears are where QBs go to die. Watch them ruin Fields.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He would be a dependable back up that could hold the fort down until Wentz is ready to go. He's not a good fit for the Bears and the Bears are where QBs go to die. Watch them ruin Field.

He had a few good years in Philly. That's it. And there's a reason Philly let him go, twice.... Of his 9 years, 5 of them were QBRs below 50. That's plain bad. Of those 5, two were in the 20s, and two were in the 30s. That's just awful. He only played one of those years in Chicago, and he was in the 40s.

Overall, that's simply not enough upside to risk the potential drama.

We’re not even bringing in another warm camp body for free. They’re going to roll with Eason because they’re married to Wentz. Even if Wentz is bad don’t be surprised to see them write it off. You can still give him one last chance and he has to live up or else. Draft a non QB in the spring or even trade down if a good offer comes. Keep building. It’s a contract year for Wentz and if he doesn’t deliver then no question you move on and still have a team just needing a good QB. 

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

We’re not even bringing in another warm camp body for free. They’re going to roll with Eason because they’re married to Wentz. Even if Wentz is bad don’t be surprised to see them write it off. You can still give him one last chance and he has to live up or else. Draft a non QB in the spring or even trade down if a good offer comes. Keep building. It’s a contract year for Wentz and if he doesn’t deliver then no question you move on and still have a team just needing a good QB. 

I think Wentz might start a little rusty but I think with the run game we will be fine. I am not worried about Wentz being bad. The QB coach said it looked like he was in mid season form. 

Kevin Bowen said if they had went harder in OTA and had a mini camp he wonders if maybe  Nelson and Wentz injuries would of happened back then avoiding this.

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He had a few good years in Philly. That's it. And there's a reason Philly let him go, twice.... Of his 9 years, 5 of them were QBRs below 50. That's plain bad. Of those 5, two were in the 20s, and two were in the 30s. That's just awful. He only played one of those years in Chicago, and he was in the 40s.

Overall, that's simply not enough upside to risk the potential drama.

If Wentz is that thinned skin, he has no business being in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

If Foles can't be better than 3rd on the Chicago depth chart, perhaps he has no business in the NFL... He's a JAG at best. 

It's not simply about the thickness of Wentz's skin. If you're a business owner, you simply try to avoid circuses. And when you make an investment, you try to help the investment pay off, not create situations that might decrease your ROI.

10 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Maybe. Whatever. There’s no need to find that out if we can avoid it. 

You still don’t make that irrational move. 

Wentz has this season and next to earn the right to be the guy. They spent a 1st round pick to get him and they aren’t bailing on that for a season that started like this. He may have to play on the tag in 2023 but if he’s good enough, the deal will get done. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Wentz has this season and next to earn the right to be the guy. They spent a 1st round pick to get him and they aren’t bailing on that for a season that started like this. He may have to play on the tag in 2023 but if he’s good enough, the deal will get done. 

Pretty sure we have Wentz through 2024.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

No gtd money after next season, so it’s “technically” a contract year of sorts. 

How so technically? We keep him if we want with no changes to the contract after 2022, and walk away if we want. No pressure on the team, all on Wentz.

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

All FR and CB talk about is creating competition at every position to better the team. So I guess it's ok except at the most important pisition because our QB needs to be coddled.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

How so technically? We keep him if we want with no changes to the contract after 2022, and walk away if we want. No pressure on the team, all on Wentz.

They can cut him penalty free after 2022. So if he doesn’t deserve to be here he’s going to be gone for sure. 

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

All FR and CB talk about is creating competition at every position to better the team. So I guess it's ok except at the most important pisition because our QB needs to be coddled.

You're pivoting again. This is not about creating competition. It's avoiding a circus. And one more time.... Foles just isn't that good to even want him if the circus wasn't a risk.

And simple question... Are we bringing in guys to compete with Buckner? No. We all know he was brought in to lead the D, not compete. 

Reich even said today they brought Wentz in to lead the team, not compete for a gig.

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Ok. I get what you’re saying. But THIS IS WHAT THEY PUSHED THEIR CHIPS ALL IN ON. 

This is it. This is the bet. We’re in for the duration now. If they wanted Foles they would have paid a 2nd for him instead. They’re not going to spend another pick for someone else when they still don’t even know what they spent that second, maybe first round pick on.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Ok. I get what you’re saying. But THIS IS WHAT THEY PUSHED THEIR CHIPS ALL IN ON. 

This is it. This is the bet. We’re in for the duration now. If they wanted Foles they would have paid a 2nd for him instead. They’re not going to spend another pick for someone else when they still don’t even know what they spent that second, maybe first round pick on.

That's it. So to spend even more draft capital, even if it's a 6th rounder on another QB after they just signed another FA makes no sense to me from a football perspective. The dude is a 3rd string QB with a big cap hit behind Andy Dalton for cryin out loud, on a team who has never gotten it right at QB, unless you count McMahon. LOL.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If Foles can't be better than 3rd on the Chicago depth chart, perhaps he has no business in the NFL... He's a JAG at best. 

It's not simply about the thickness of Wentz's skin. If you're a business owner, you simply try to avoid circuses. And when you make an investment, you try to help the investment pay off, not create situations that might decrease your ROI.

Aside from the media circus, which is one of the things the Colts have a really good handle on I might add, what about the locker room? Reich played he knows how it is in the locker room among those young dudes. That's one thing that Pittsburgh lost. Drama no matter how good the dude was, was on the next bus out of town. Plaxico Burress comes to mind. Dude caught the game winning touchdown in one of the most famous Super Bowls ever but they got rid of him before that because of the drama that came with him. I really believe that is the biggest reason Pittsburgh hasn't won in 13 years because they sure have had the talent to go the distance.

16 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

The only time you need competition at QB is when you are looking for your guy and you have young guys trying to get the job. Wentz is our QB. You don’t create competition with him. Chicago and SF might have a competition because they drafted rookies. They didn’t feel they had their QB.

Competition is always good.  If they were to add Minshew he's not a guy who would start over Wentz when Wentz is healthy.  But Wentz might have it in his head that he doesn't want to miss too much time and that's not a bad thing.

Also I think personality factors in too.  Wentz knows where he stands with Reich.  He trusts him.  And Minshew's by all accounts a good locker room type.  I think there are some QBs out there who acquiring them might anger Wentz, or make him insecure.  But I would be surprised if Minshew is one of them.

Archived