Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We don't need to trade for Foles....

jshipp23

48 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I've always liked Minshew's game.  Think that would be a really nice move if they can pull it off.

I don't see it with him. He's a good backup. He obviously always smacks the Colts (but then so did Bortles). He has some traits that a good functional organization can capitalize on but then again the Colts have Eason....and Ehlinger. Why burn a draft pick for Minshew when you've got a couple young guys who you can potentially be functional with. Minshew isnt taking you to the Super Bowl.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2021 at 1:19 PM, Colt.45 said:

I don't see it with him. He's a good backup. He obviously always smacks the Colts (but then so did Bortles). He has some traits that a good functional organization can capitalize on but then again the Colts have Eason....and Ehlinger. Why burn a draft pick for Minshew when you've got a couple young guys who you can potentially be functional with. Minshew isnt taking you to the Super Bowl.

You think he's a good backup.  I think he'd be a nice addition because we need a backup who can spell some games in Wentz's absence.  Sounds like we agree in principle here on the player.

Now you don't want to give up a pick and I get that.  But I'm less concerned with picks and more concerned with what our record will be by week 6 or so when Wentz returns.  And what if it's moreso week 10 or something.  I'm sure the team has a better idea of how long it will be (5-12 weeks is way too broad and intended for not tipping their plan to rivals), so that factors in I am sure.  As well as what they project the guys on the roster now to do in that window.  But the risk here is getting too far behind Tennessee in the standings.  All that has to jive to stand pat.

For the record I do trust that Ballard will make a good call on this.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:26 AM, JoeThornburg said:

Aside from the media circus, which is one of the things the Colts have a really good handle on I might add, what about the locker room? Reich played he knows how it is in the locker room among those young dudes. That's one thing that Pittsburgh lost. Drama no matter how good the dude was, was on the next bus out of town. Plaxico Burress comes to mind. Dude caught the game winning touchdown in one of the most famous Super Bowls ever but they got rid of him before that because of the drama that came with him. I really believe that is the biggest reason Pittsburgh hasn't won in 13 years because they sure have had the talent to go the distance.

Yup. Externally and internally, you just want to do the best thing. If we were talking about a Tom Brady level guy, or even an above average backup, I'd be fine. I just don't see a lot of value from Foles performance wise, and the circus elements just stomp out any benefit there might be. In 2017, the planets aligned. It's not likely something that could be replicated.

Archived