Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread

runthepost

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Chappell's comment implies he's not seen anything from Eason that suggests he'll play well v Carolina

I caught a bit of Holder on JMV....he implied that Ehlinger has looked better than Eason despite not having the physical tools like a good arm. Didn't catch the whole interview though. 

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I caught a bit of Holder on JMV....he implied that Ehlinger has looked better than Eason despite not having the physical tools like a good arm. Didn't catch the whole interview though. 

He stressed context. He said Sam isn’t going against the ones and the oline for Eason today was bad. 

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. Lol. We have a potential top 5 defense and a top 5 run game. We will be fine if Wentz is out for a few games. He’s going to play well this season too I believe. I fully support him and I don’t feel like this injury could have been avoided. It’s better that it happens now instead of week 15 before we are going to make a playoff run. As for the 1st round pick ? Philly can have it because even if Wentz is out for the year this team is still going to finish 500 at least. This team isn’t built for just a QB anymore. This is a blossoming team that is about break out this year. Let’s all have a little faith and wait for QB to come back and be the final puzzle piece ! 

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if Wentz could miss 4-6 weeks, Ballard makes a deal.   Now, I don’t think Wentz will miss that kind of time, but if he will, then I don’t think Ballard will risk letting the team go winless until Wentz returns.   

But I think Wentz returns before the start of the season. 

You think Wentz will miss less than 4-6 weeks?  I thought 4-5 weeks was the minimum.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There've been a lot of conversations over the last few days since Wentz went down. My stance remains this: I hope we have an open competition between Eason and Ehlinger because I think the Texas kid would win it. Basing that strictly off what i saw from both of them at the collegiate level. Eason has a ceiling that's much higher than Ehlinger because well, he's built to look the part and has an arm to go along with it but in terms of everything else, from my fan perspective, Ehlinger is the better QB.

9 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

You think Wentz will miss less than 4-6 weeks?  I thought 4-5 weeks was the minimum.

I think Wentz will not miss 4-6 regular season games.    That was  my meaning.   Sorry that’s not clear. 

I think Wentz returns at some point before the regular season starts.   That’s my hunch. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like I say every pre-season it’s not just what you do it’s who you do it against that matters too.  

The good ones will do it against any defense. Russell Wilson, obvious starting material. He was supposed to be Seattle's 3rd/4th string. Dude took the job when the breaks come his way. Lets stop with the excuses.

We all want ALL the Colts QBs to do well and some of us are tantalized by that almighty arm #9 is packing but I don't remember stories about Eason ripping it up against the 2nd team D, or the 3rd team D last year....or this year. 

Reports from Bears camp....J Fields is all that and more. That's against a 1st team decent Chicago defense. Jacob Eason MUST get better, this is a golden opportunity for him.

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The good ones will do it against any defense. Russell Wilson, obvious starting material. He was supposed to be Seattle's 3rd/4th string. Dude took the job when the breaks come his way. Lets stop with the excuses.

We all want ALL the Colts QBs to do well and some of us are tantalized by that almighty arm #9 is packing but I don't remember stories about Eason ripping it up against the 2nd team D, or the 3rd team D last year....or this year. 

Reports from Bears camp....J Fields is all that and more. That's against a 1st team decent Chicago defense. Jacob Eason MUST get better, this is a golden opportunity for him.

I didn’t mean that in terms of Eason. I meant that in terms of people saying oh look at how great Sam is doing against a second or third string and say he should start.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t mean that in terms of Eason. I meant that in terms of people saying oh look at how great Sam is doing against a second or third string and say he should start.

We'll see. Hoping Frank can scheme things up bigly for Eason. I'm guessing Carson returns week 3 or so.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Good words to hear. Easier when the schedule isnt murderers row BUT the Colts finished 11-5 last season in a large part because of the QB but also because the coaches had this club functioning as a TEAM. I agree, they'll be ready......as long as the injury bug steers clear. There're only so many injuries we can take before it gets to a point where no amount of coaching rescues us.

The Athletic says a piece of Wentz’s fifth metatarsal (pinky toe) became dislodged. 

Here’s a link to an article about the surgery to remove the dislodged piece. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21841068/

Results: All 6 patients experienced an uneventful operation and recovery, returning to competitive play at a mean of 11.7 weeks. Activity-related pain and discomfort abated after the excision and rehabilitation. No surgical complications were noted.

Looks like this is where the 12 weeks came from.  Hopefully, it’s shorter than that. 

10 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

The Athletic says a piece of Wentz’s fifth metatarsal (pinky toe) became dislodged. 

Here’s a link to an article about the surgery to remove the dislodged piece. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21841068/

Results: All 6 patients experienced an uneventful operation and recovery, returning to competitive play at a mean of 11.7 weeks. Activity-related pain and discomfort abated after the excision and rehabilitation. No surgical complications were noted.

Looks like this is where the 12 weeks came from.  Hopefully, it’s shorter than that. 

6 patients lol. Can’t gain much from that.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

There've been a lot of conversations over the last few days since Wentz went down. My stance remains this: I hope we have an open competition between Eason and Ehlinger because I think the Texas kid would win it. Basing that strictly off what i saw from both of them at the collegiate level. Eason has a ceiling that's much higher than Ehlinger because well, he's built to look the part and has an arm to go along with it but in terms of everything else, from my fan perspective, Ehlinger is the better QB.

37 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I totally agree with you. I haven't of course seen either one in practice and just a bit of Eason in college, so my opinion is uninformative to say the least...... Eason's ceiling is high because of his Big arm while Ehlinger is getting more of what less physical talent he has.

Anyway, coming into the season the backup situation was definitely a question mark. And considering Wentz history of injuries PLUS coming off probably the worst season of all QB's last year you'd think are situation at backup should have been better.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

6 patients lol. Can’t gain much from that.

I don't see why not. These were 6 male high performance athletes.  

Here's another one.

https://www.footcaremd.org/conditions-treatments/midfoot/fifth-metatarsal-fracture-surgery

Recovery

For the first 7-14 days after surgery, you may be allowed to bear weight through your heel but typically not through the front of your foot. This could last as long as six weeks (sometimes longer based on healing and other factors such as diabetes). Weight bearing in a removable walking boot is allowed after that. You can expect to return to full activity 3-4 months after a typical fracture. This includes returning to sports. Some fractures may require bone grafting and have longer recoveries. The screw is not usually removed unless it causes discomfort. 

11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Here's another one.

https://www.footcaremd.org/conditions-treatments/midfoot/fifth-metatarsal-fracture-surgery

Recovery

For the first 7-14 days after surgery, you may be allowed to bear weight through your heel but typically not through the front of your foot. This could last as long as six weeks (sometimes longer based on healing and other factors such as diabetes). Weight bearing in a removable walking boot is allowed after that. You can expect to return to full activity 3-4 months after a typical fracture. This includes returning to sports. Some fractures may require bone grafting and have longer recoveries. The screw is not usually removed unless it causes discomfort. 

Is there a date on this study?

15 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Here's another one.

Recovery

I don’t think Wentz actually had this surgery. His foot isn’t fractured. It was just a piece that came off that needed removed.

the first one you posted is the right  surgery but from 2011. Wonder how many medical advances have been made.

22 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think Wentz actually had this surgery. His foot isn’t fractured. It was just a piece that came off that needed removed.

the first one you posted is the right  surgery but from 2011. Wonder how many medical advances have been made.

It is/was a fracture. The piece of bone being removed was once part of the pinky toe. It fractured and didn't heal properly. He likely didn't know that he even had a fracture until he tweaked it and dislodged the bone completely. 

I have a cousin who is an orthopedic surgeon and I asked him about it. He said we need to find a new QB because he's gonna be out for at least 12 weeks.  LOL, I hope he's wrong!

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

It is/was a fracture. The piece of bone being removed was once part of the pinky toe. It fractured and didn't heal properly. He likely didn't know that he even had a fracture until he tweaked it and dislodged the bone completely. 

I have a cousin who is an orthopedic surgeon and I asked him about it. He said we need to find a new QB because he's gonna be out for at least 12 weeks.  LOL, I hope he's wrong!

But that article talked about pins. They are just removing the bone that came off. They aren’t fixing a fracture.

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

Your cousin is wrong. Wentz will be back no later than week 2 

1 hour ago, NodakColt said:

Your cousin is wrong. Wentz will be back no later than week 2 

I don’t know whose wrong and whose right but I thought it was a piece that was removed. The thought was it came from a high school injury. I would think, and I’m no doctor, this means the bone has probably healed by itself and this was an extra fragment that broke off, or finally moved away from the toe. This to me would mean a more minor surgery and I would expect the shorter recovery, but I’ve been wrong before lol

9 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I don’t know whose wrong and whose right but I thought it was a piece that was removed. The thought was it came from a high school injury. I would think, and I’m no doctor, this means the bone has probably healed by itself and this was an extra fragment that broke off, or finally moved away from the toe. This to me would mean a more minor surgery and I would expect the shorter recovery, but I’ve been wrong before lol

What you are saying almost equals word for word for what Will Carroll (media guy who studies sports injuries for a living) said on JMV’s radio show today.  What he went on to say is that the doctors probably don’t know if they have to do a little more than remove a small peace of bone until they get in there and if they have to do more it could lead to being out closer to 12 weeks.

35 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

What you are saying almost equals word for word for what Will Carroll (media guy who studies sports injuries for a living) said on JMV’s radio show today.  What he went on to say is that the doctors probably don’t know if they have to do a little more than remove a small peace of bone until they get in there and if they have to do more it could lead to being out closer to 12 weeks.

I am listening to this tight now. He said the mean for athletes is 8 weeks. So missing the first couple games.

Ooo! I just saw the deal made for Mr. Wentz to play for our Colts. 

Okay, so I live in a cave…anyway, Mr. Wentz…heal up and get us back to the Super Bowl. You’ve got my support!

(Four year contracts are better than one year contact…proves true loyalty)

From,

“Best” Colts Fan In Arizona!

5 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

How is Ehlinger better he was average at best at Texas playing with better players Texas lost to inferior teams. In college Ehlinger was not much of a passer. He could make plays but was inconsistant overall. 

Opinions on the NFL Network the morning after agree 5 weeks is only propaganda and 12 weeks is more realistic. On Eason and other backups with all the money spent on backup QBs why not work hard to get them to the point where they can carry the load instead of writing teams off with the absence of the starters? For the Colts as they are on the verge of a SB with present day QB backups that seemingly not one person believe they can win a game. Remember the 49rs with Montana starting and Steve Young as the backup? There are other similar examples. Maybe the reason for today's empty backups is he modern QBs are by rules more protected from injuries. 

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

My prediction based on this is that he will miss the first 2 games and come back for the first divisional game vs the Titans. Worst case scenario - 5 games and returning for the second divisional game vs the Texans.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Opinions on the NFL Network the morning after agree 5 weeks is only propaganda and 12 weeks is more realistic. On Eason and other backups with all the money spent on backup QBs why not work hard to get them to the point where they can carry the load instead of writing teams off with the absence of the starters? For the Colts as they are on the verge of a SB with present day QB backups that seemingly not one person believe they can win a game. Remember the 49rs with Montana starting and Steve Young as the backup? There are other similar examples. Maybe the reason for today's empty backups is he modern QBs are by rules more protected from injuries. 

I think the middle is probably realistic. Probably 8 weeks. That would have him modding the first couple of games.

I love Dan

5 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

Bone injury from high school. Footwork. Hmm. Why was this not picked up on an xray?

Louder for those in back.

The Colts traded for a guy who showed up with a bad foot, BUT (big but) the injury goes back to high school? I'm saying show your cards... I don't buy it. What makes a lot more sense, is that he had a nagging injury that the team Dr's didn't notice and he aggravated it (in JULY! pfff).

Archived