Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on Colin Cowherd

It doesn’t sound like they made a formal offer to get Stafford. He said he isn’t one to make quick decisions and they dabbled a little on Stafford but weren’t quite there. He said making the decision to trade for Wentz was much easier due to his relationship with the coaching staff. They had much more info on Wentz.

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It doesn’t sound like they made a formal offer to get Stafford. He said he isn’t one to make quick decisions and they dabbled a little on Stafford but weren’t quite there. He said making the decision to trade for Wentz was much easier due to his relationship with the coaching staff. They had much more info on Wentz.

Probably didn’t take him too long to realize the price was too rich for his blood.

Was a really good interview, he elaborated a little bit on their draft approach this year, and basically admitted that they weren't super interested in acquiring more picks because they had less info on players than usual. They also really like Dayo and Paye, so trading back from those two spots wasn't a big consideration.

He did leave Banogu out, and I noticed that at the time, but I think it's a mistake to make too much of it. Without going back, I'm not sure he mentioned Muhammed either.

A lot of stuff we've already heard, but worth a casual listen, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Was a really good interview, he elaborated a little bit on their draft approach this year, and basically admitted that they weren't super interested in acquiring more picks because they had less info on players than usual. They also really like Dayo and Paye, so trading back from those two spots wasn't a big consideration.

He did leave Banogu out, and I noticed that at the time, but I think it's a mistake to make too much of it. Without going back, I'm not sure he mentioned Muhammed either.

A lot of stuff we've already heard, but worth a casual listen, IMO.

He did mention AQM and Rochelle. Just real quick. But I don’t think much of that. Your doing a interview and remembering everyone is probably a little difficult. 

The Stafford stuff was really interesting. They basically weren’t sure if he was going to be able to take them to a SB so they didn’t make a serious push. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He did mention AQM and Rochelle. Just real quick. But I don’t think much of that. Your doing a interview and remembering everyone is probably a little difficult. 

The Stafford stuff was really interesting. They basically weren’t sure if he was going to be able to take them to a SB so they didn’t make a serious push. 

I thought they were still working on Stafford, and ultimately the Rams came in hot and probably offered more than the Colts ever would anyway. Plus, Wentz was an option, and they were more familiar with him.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

“Sometimes a cigar is...just a cigar.” — Sigmund Freud

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I thought they were still working on Stafford, and ultimately the Rams came in hot and probably offered more than the Colts ever would anyway. Plus, Wentz was an option, and they were more familiar with him.

To me he said the Rams came in and he said the colts weren’t ready yet. Ballard then said he isn’t one to make quick decisions. So to me that meant they weren’t even sure about him. One of the  Indy media guys after Stafford was traded did mention the colts were having a internal conversation whether Stafford could take them to the SB.

I taught it was a little interesting that he said that his misses were mostly character related rather than talent. I think most people can guess the players he might be referring to. I think it’s safe to say going forward, first and second round draft picks have to be of high character, non-negotiable.

42 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

So then yes. We are waiving the white flag of surrender on Banogu. Is what it is, but still hate to see those second round picks go to waste. Let’s hope that’s the only one that leaves us with nothing worth having to show for it. 

Ballard always says when you acquire a player you need to make sure you have a plan for them before you do. Remembering when Banogu was drafted they really had no plan. He is a LB/DE. They just liked his traits but didn’t know how they would use him. Lesson learned. Wonder who talked him into him. To think of who we could of had because we reached on a player.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I loved his respect for Jim Irsay the most. I get so tired of fans dumping on Jim. He is the best owner in the NFL. He basically acknowledged just how special he is as an owner. 

Never understood why any Colts fan would dislike Jim Irsay.

I can’t think of one thing he’s said or done in the Colts’ 36 years in Indy that irked me as a fan.  The closest was musing about having to move the team if LOS didn’t get built.  But that’s (a) understandable, and (b) likely to be put on the table in any such deliberation.

He’s brimming with enthusiasm, he loves the city and the state, he is unanimously respected by his team’s players, coaches, and staff (current and former) — and, maybe most important of all, he has instilled a consistent team culture that everybody associated with the Colts can be proud of.

46 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard always says when you acquire a player you need to make sure you have a plan for them before you do. Remembering when Banogu was drafted they really had no plan. He is a LB/DE. They just liked his traits but didn’t know how they would use him. Lesson learned. Wonder who talked him into him. To think of who we could of had because we reached on a player.

Look around the league. Every team, and I mean EVERY team, has a similar tale to tell. The draft graveyard is full of Ben Banogus. Just be glad we have a GM who is better at drafting than most. And for the record, we shouldn’t bury our own Banogu just yet. He has a chance to redeem himself this year. I’m not holding my breath, but it is true. 

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

Look around the league. Every team, and I mean EVERY team, has a similar tale to tell. The draft graveyard is full of Ben Banogus. Just be glad we have a GM who is better at drafting than most. And for the record, we shouldn’t bury our own Banogu just yet. He has a chance to redeem himself this year. I’m not holding my breath, but it is true. 

Oh I get that. Yeah we are lucky Ballard hits on most of his. 

4 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I taught it was a little interesting that he said that his misses were mostly character related rather than talent. I think most people can guess the players he might be referring to. I think it’s safe to say going forward, first and second round draft picks have to be of high character, non-negotiable.

Quincy Wilson sure comes to mind saw first hand his level of immaturity on the side lines . 

10 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I loved his respect for Jim Irsay the most. I get so tired of fans dumping on Jim. He is the best owner in the NFL. He basically acknowledged just how special he is as an owner. 

I've had a chance to talk Jim Irsay and he is a great guy who just wants to win in the worst way. 

9 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Never understood why any Colts fan would dislike Jim Irsay.

I can’t think of one thing he’s said or done in the Colts’ 36 years in Indy that irked me as a fan.  The closest was musing about having to move the team if LOS didn’t get built.  But that’s (a) understandable, and (b) likely to be put on the table in any such deliberation.

He’s brimming with enthusiasm, he loves the city and the state, he is unanimously respected by his team’s players, coaches, and staff (current and former) — and, maybe most important of all, he has instilled a consistent team culture that everybody associated with the Colts can be proud of.

Yes, very well said. 

God this guy is my man crush :headspin:

9 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ballard still has my faith for right now. 

Based on how bad the team was when he took over and how much he changed the culture and the depth of players we have at almost every position, he has my faith for a long time. Been a fan since 99' and his tenure is my favourite by far. Even with Andrew gone, that still hurts. 

Talked to Mr. Irsay a few times during camp. Always laid back and like a regular Joe. During camp in THaute they always reserved a room in one of the residence halls for him in case he stayed over. Never did, but I do know he made sure a nice tip was left for the housekeeping staff who would fix up a room that was never used. 

We are truly blessed with arguably the best TRIO(owner, GM, and coach) in the league. 

That is crazy that Irsay is who was pulling for JT the most. Sounds like we wouldn't have traded up/drafted him had he not said anything. 

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

We are truly blessed with arguably the best TRIO(owner, GM, and coach) in the league. 

That is crazy that Irsay is who was pulling for JT the most. Sounds like we wouldn't have traded up/drafted him had he not said anything. 

I'm not sure Frank's shown any inclination of being the top coach in the league, he's probably low top ten right now..... if that.  Ask anyone not a Colts fan for a list.....

the more I listen to Ballard the more I am impressed with his passion, insight and ability. He is a solid GM. I  watched the video on the Colts War Room. I was impressed with the explanation offered on why they were picking the players they picked. Ballard and  Reich are a great combo and along with Isray make a great team.

On 5/5/2021 at 3:54 PM, Wentzszn said:

I think this is a complete mischaracterization of BB.    No plan?    You don’t think trying someone at a different position constitutes a plan?   You think the front office woke up one day and said, let’s move BB?

You think after that didn’t work out, Ballard THEN decided he needed to have a plan?   Never occurred to him before that moment?

How many conclusions can you leap to?  

You can have a plan, and sometimes it just doesn’t work out.  That's life...

Goodness gracious.....    :facepalm:

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this is a complete mischaracterization of BB.    No plan?    You don’t think trying someone at a different position constitutes a plan?   You think the front office woke up one day and said, let’s move BB?

You think after that didn’t work out, Ballard THEN decided he needed to have a plan?   Never occurred to him before that moment?

How many conclusions can you leap to?  

You can have a plan, and sometimes it just doesn’t work out.  That's life...

Goodness gracious.....    :facepalm:

that’s not exactly what Ballard said after drafting Ben. They weren’t sure where to play him. They said they were going to see where he fit best. So yeah they didn’t have a plan. 

Archived