Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford and the Lions have agreed to work on a trade (Merge)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Man, what a refreshing post filled with great info and some well-reasoned thoughts. 

My company is HQ’d in New York and I have had chances to leave Indy to move there. But cost of living and family considerations made the decision to stay in Indy easy. But who knows what is important to Stafford. He may think that winning is most important and that the 9ers provide the best chance of that. Plus being in the NFC and away from Mahomes and the other really good QBs in the AFC may be very appealing. And if family considerations are important maybe the cultural opportunities in the Bay Area outweigh the cost of living which by the way does not have to permanent. 

All of this is meant to say we don’t have any idea what drives a player’s preference. On top of that, it is also very likely out of Stafford’s hands anyway. The Lions may take into account Stafford’s preferences but in all likelihood take the best offer they get. 

And I really appreciate your comments on Ballard. I am wholly impressed with his patience. It has and will serve the Colts well in the long run. My guess is he would be willing to come off some of his conservative beliefs to land a QB that may put the the Colts over the top.  We saw that with the Buckner deal last year. 

My guess is that the price for Stafford gets to high and that Sam Darnold is under center for Indy in 2021. 

Thanks for the kind words.

I did a large amount of business in Dubai, and one of the distis there tried to get me to move there and take over their team.  I actually considered it, (Dont believe everything that is in the media about the middle east.... MOST people there are amazingly generous and kind people, I still have good friends there)

It may play out for Darnold and the Colts.

IMHO he isnt my option 1 or  2 (I like Winston as number 2) , but he would be as good as any other.......

I dont think Wentz is really an option to consider

If Stafford doesnt work out, 

Let Darnold come in and compete with Eason. The better kid gets the spot.......  

Darnold has some great tools but the kid has been beat to death with no OL and not many weapons.  I saw a video the other day where an analyst showed play after play where there wasnt a single receiver getting open.

I think there are many Colts fans that are on the bridge, ready to jump if we dont get Stafford.

I will be disapointed, as he MAY be the missing piece that we need to compete with KC , for the AFC 

If we DONT go for him, because the auction went to the level of stupid, Im ok with that as well

I don't know where this is going with the Colts, nor do I have any inside sources. I will only say that there are too many teams that want or need QB upgrades this year and that is going to be a problem for the Colts...

Teams like San Fran and LA Rams as two examples are going to go ALL in on winning right now. ALL in. The Colts will not and where they might believe they are in position to win right now like the Niners and the Rams believe they are as well, the Colts will not mortgage the future for one player... They just won't.

I still think at end of all this the Colts next QB is one of these three...

Trubisky

Dalton

Darnold(if Watson is traded to NYJ)

I'm still betting on Trubisky. It's a Darkhorse unpopular pick that just might work out favorably for the Colts and it won't cost the team anything near what the other selections would. To me this will be all about Ballard putting his words where his mouth is. He has always wanted a team built on foundation of coaching. Well here it is. Grab a guy who is deemed a bust and coach him back to acceptability. 

We will se how it turns out

As some may have already seen I went over the financials of the 49ers early this morning and bottom line is they do not have the Cap Space to go after Stafford.  Only thing the 49ers can do is cut/trade Jimmy and draft a QB in Round 1.  This works well for the Colts and moves him in to top consideration to join us.  

I keep going over our own financials and seems we are very much in play for Stafford.  Wouldn't hurt to restructure Buckner and Kelly's bonuses move them more to next year help free up some much needed cap space for the off-season so we can be a little more aggressive in FA.

In FA sign me QB Stafford and get me LT Trent Williams and I will be happy.

7 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

As some may have already seen I went over the financials of the 49ers early this morning and bottom line is they do not have the Cap Space to go after Stafford.  Only thing the 49ers can do is cut/trade Jimmy and draft a QB in Round 1.  This works well for the Colts and moves him in to top consideration to join us.  

I keep going over our own financials and seems we are very much in play for Stafford.  Wouldn't hurt to restructure Buckner and Kelly's bonuses move them more to next year help free up some much needed cap space for the off-season so we can be a little more aggressive in FA.

In FA sign me QB Stafford and get me LT Trent Williams and I will be happy.

Dude in all respect, your assessment like many others are based on logical outcomes, however living in the DC area I have seen first hand how the skins were able to always be in cap hell and still throw huge money and sign players. It happens all the time with what is called creative structuring or whatever. Trust me, if they want Stafford bad enough they will find a way. The niners HAVE to win it all in next two years as that was plan under shanny and lynch. Like the Saints it gets blow up either way so they have to win it all before that explosion occurs.

35 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Wouldn't hurt to restructure Buckner

Restructures generally go off base salary. Buckner is already at the minimum $1m base this year. His RB is already guaranteed and he isn't pushing it back. He is already under paid. There is no restructure for Buckner in the cards this year.

Buckner believe it or not has a very team friendly cap hit over the next 4 years.

2021 - $17m

2022 - $16m

2023 - $19.75m

2024 - $20.25m

Ballard did an amazing job with that contract.

Only restructure the Colts have an option for is Kelly

43 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

In FA sign me QB Stafford

Stafford isn't a FA.

35 minutes ago, w87r said:

Restructures generally go off base salary. Buckner is already at the minimum $1m base this year. His RB is already guaranteed and he isn't pushing it back. He is already under paid. There is no restructure for Buckner in the cards this year.

Buckner believe it or not has a very team friendly cap hit over the next 4 years.

2021 - $17m

2022 - $16m

2023 - $19.75m

2024 - $20.25m

Ballard did an amazing job with that contract.

Only restructure the Colts have an option for is Kelly

Stafford isn't a FA.

What we can restructure is the Roster bonus.  Was thinking split it from $16 million this year to 6/10 million for 2021/2022 for Buckner and do something similar with Kelly.  Would open up our cap space by another $14 million.

As for Stafford do realize he’s not a true FA but in essence we would be getting him in FA via trade. 

As for the 49ers as someone mentioned half the team is already off the books including 10 starters.   Nobody worth cutting that they can quickly gain cap space.  Not a whole lot where they can restructure as most are under rookie contracts or low cost RFA contracts.  

22 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

What we can restructure is the Roster bonus.  Was thinking split it from $16 million this year to 6/10 million for 2021/2022 for Buckner and do something similar with Kelly.  Would open up our cap space by another $14 million.

I would bet my house that isn't going to happen.

You really think Buckner, our All Pro(top 2-3 DT in NFL) would play for $7m this year($1m base/$6m RB)? He is already under paid for his worth this season at $17m. The roster bonus is guaranteed already also. 

Aaron Donald 2021 cap hit $27m

Chris Jones 2021 cap hit $21.8m

Fletcher Cox 2021 cap hit $23.8m

All 3 of those teams have cap issues and you want to have Buckner take $7m this season, when we are in much better shape than those teams cap wise? Like I said $17m is already a bargain. 

Now if you had an older player, I will use Big Ben as an example. He has a $15m non guaranteed roster bonus do. He could elect to push it back or split it up with it then becoming guaranteed. Otherwise he is going to lose that $15m completely because Pittsburgh cant afford  to pay it this year. He has incentive to do it.

Buckner has no incentive to push that money back, and it isn't going to happen.

As far as Kelly, there is no need to try and adjust his Bonus, a straight forward restructure of his base salary would clear $6.75m in cap space this year.

Outside of Kelly, Stewart is really the only other option for restructure which could save around $3m, but this isn't likely to happen, as his extension was signed late in the year and Ballard ready knew cap would be lower. 

If the niners get Stafford, my next call is for Jimmy G. I get it, he gets hurt, but the guy wins. That offense without Jimmy G is like night and day and our offense is not too far off of the niners. West coast approach with multiple backs, and plays off play action. Also his contract is extremely easy to get rid of if he doesn't pan out.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2929026-matthew-stafford-trade-rumors-49ers-deny-deal-is-close-for-lions-qb

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo shot those reports down on Saturday on Good Morning Football:

"There were rumors the last couple of days on Twitter that the 49ers were on the verge of a trade for Matthew Stafford with the Lions. Not according to the folks in San Francisco who said, 'Nope, not us.'

"Now, I can't guarantee you that they're not gonna trade for a quarterback this offseason. Jimmy Garoppolo might be elsewhere. But I hear a lot of positives when I talk to the folks in San Francisco with regard to how they feel about Jimmy Garoppolo. So, I'll keep him there for another season at least and hope that everybody around him stays healthy, and all the bad juju that's surrounding this team is gone, and they can get back to playing good football with Jimmy Garoppolo."

85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfc-north-matthew-stafford-expected-to-be-traded-before-super-bowl/ar-BB1df0If?ocid=uxbndlbing

I wonder if this is happening because of us or maybe the lions see a offer that's more appealing. Either way i hope it's us causing this news

There’s a whole thread on this already.... under colts football. And I’m praying we don’t get him

20 minutes ago, Restored said:

Genuinely curious here. Why don’t you want Stafford and what’s your alternative?

My reasoning for also not wanting Stafford is the draft capital cost to get a 33 year old QB, who’s not one of the top guys at his position.

I would rather use that draft capital and go up and draft a guy like Fields. 

Odds makers are now saying San Fran is the likely favorite. Jimmy G can be cut or traded with very little salary cap affect. The Colts are now the second choice. The new wrinkle is the rumor that the Cowboys will try to swap Dak for him, but since Dak isn't signed I doubt it. The WFT is also interested, they just hired their GM that drafted him #1 to begin with. Washington scares me, they pick around us, actually before us and they can give their #1 pick for him, I highly doubt we offer more. The Rams are also rumored, but Goff's dead money would kill any deal. Either way, we should find out soon..

6 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Odds makers are now saying San Fran is the likely favorite. Jimmy G can be cut or traded with very little salary cap affect. The Colts are now the second choice. The new wrinkle is the rumor that the Cowboys will try to swap Dak for him, but since Dak isn't signed I doubt it. The WFT is also interested, they just hired their GM that drafted him #1 to begin with. Washington scares me, they pick around us, actually before us and they can give their #1 pick for him, I highly doubt we offer more. The Rams are also rumored, but Goff's dead money would kill any deal. Either way, we should find out soon..

Odds makers?

I have read different reports from different places that says the 49ers are not the favorite.

We may not find out as soon as you might think. The Lions have till March 21st. 

59 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

My reasoning for also not wanting Stafford is the draft capital cost to get a 33 year old QB, who’s not one of the top guys at his position.

Well here’s a couple points to consider with that.

For one, I’m not sure how we are classifying “one of the top guys” but Stafford has faired pretty well statistically over the years and has a high number of 4th quarter comebacks. Is he Mahomes-level of good? No. But he presents a significant upgrade and is likely in the top 12 QBs with this roster and coaching staff.

Second, in order to move up and get a player like Fields, the draft capital needed is likely higher than what we’d have to pay for Stafford. In addition, Stafford is a known-commodity while any of the QBs in this draft outside of Lawrence all have question marks and none of them are guaranteed to pan out.

We showed last year that trading a lower draft pick for a proven player is a pretty good investment. We pick Werner at around this position, I would think taking a player at a position of need that is proven would be much wiser. That said, other teams like the Patriots who now have is former coach back in the field, or the WFT that has his former GM at the helm might jump us. The rumor on the NFL network is that San Fran is going to offer Jimmy G and their #1 pick. We could offer Eason and our #1..

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

And your alternative to Stafford is....... no one.

Either the Colts:

(1) will find some miracle in the draft (not gonna be Fields unless the cost is draconion, and he's a total unknown compared to Stafford, so why would you blow all your draft capital this year and next?);

(2) Eason somehow becomes the man without ever throwing a NFL pass (extremely unlikely today);

(3) JB is somehow transformed into a quality starter (uh uh); or

(4) someone else's castoff  becomes available and leads the Colts into the promised land (like who?). 

I'm not saying Stafford is going to bring the Colts a SB (who knows?), but I don't see much if anything else out there. IMO, he's the best option if he doesn't cost more than a 1 this year and a 2 next year. That sounds like the likely price and would be worth it for a QB you can win with. Which he is. 

18 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

We showed last year that trading a lower draft pick for a proven player is a pretty good investment. We pick Werner at around this position, I would think taking a player at a position of need that is proven would be much wiser. That said, other teams like the Patriots who now have is former coach back in the field, or the WFT that has his former GM at the helm might jump us. The rumor on the NFL network is that San Fran is going to offer Jimmy G and their #1 pick. We could offer Eason and our #1..

Jimmy G's contract is awful. Nobody wants to pay that. Offering to swap QBs along with a 1st round pick is a non starter if I'm the Lions. They are going into another rebuild; the last thing they want is to be saddled with a huge contract for an iffy QB. 

Just now, Hoose said:

Jimmy G's contract is awful. Nobody wants to pay that. Offering to swap QBs along with a 1st round pick is a non starter if I'm the Lions. They are going into another rebuild; the last thing they want is to be saddled with a huge contract for an iffy QB. 

His contract has 1 more year with almost no more guarantee money left, something like 3 million. So taking him wouldn't be an issue and if he doesn't fit just trade or cut him..

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There was no way Ballard was giving up two first round picks for Stafford. Interested to see what the colts do now. 

200.gif

I could honestly see bringing in a guy like Fitzpatrick to give us a solid starter to let Eason learn behind.

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

That’s a fleecing 

That's an understatement. I was going to say this wasn't as bad as the Hopkins trade, but swapping starting QBs then giving them your 1st rd picks the next 2 years? Somebody needs to report a robbery. 

WOW.

Is it possible the Detroit doesn't draft a QB now; and the Colts are within reach of a  trade-up for Trey Lance. 

Leaves Colts with Darnold, Goff, Wentz, and Garropolo as the only veteran options.

Maybe it's all a smoke screen from the Colts to get all the QB needy teams to get a veteran while they trade up!

9 minutes ago, Shive said:

That's an understatement. I was going to say this wasn't as bad as the Hopkins trade, but swapping starting QBs then giving them your 1st rd picks the next 2 years? Somebody needs to report a robbery. 

Weird the Rams would do that. Rams don't even have a first round pick this year. Now they don't have one for three years.

Be glad we have a GM that doesnt do these panic moves

In the long run, this is a HORRIBLE move for the Rams

People have said that we would move down to take Fields

I dont see us handing over to get him, as I see him as a top 5 pick

Time to kick the tires on Jamies Winston......  Or wait till June 1 cuts where some QBs may be affordable and available

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Be glad we have a GM that doesnt do these panic moves

In the long run, this is a HORRIBLE move for the Rams

People have said that we would move down to take Fields

I dont see us handing over a ransome of picks to get him, as I see him as a top 5 pick

Time to kick the tires on Jamies Winston......  Or wait till June 1 cuts where some QBs may be affordable and available

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

WOW.

Is it possible the Detroit doesn't draft a QB now; and the Colts are within reach of a  trade-up for Trey Lance. 

Leaves Colts with Darnold, Goff, Wentz, and Garropolo as the only veteran options.

Goff was traded to the Lions, so I'm assuming he'll be starting there and they won't be drafting a new QB. Those are the QB's available via trade, but there's also the FA's like Winston, Dak, Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Dalton, and Newton. 

Just now, CR91 said:

Weird the Rams would do that. Rams don't even have a first round pick this year. Now they don't have one for the next three years.

I feel like their roster is nowhere near talented enough to give up that much top draft capital.

Archived