Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Getting Grilled At Gruden's Qb Camp

I saw the one with RGIII. I don't remember who was interviewing him, but he showed RGIII a play on the whiteboard, then asked RGIII a bunch of unrelated questions, then he told RGIII to draw up the route he showed him earlier. RGIII did it to perfection, but one thing had me bothered...

RGIII has a tendency to dip his head and look bored, and kind of roll his head to the side sometimes, as if he thinks he's better than everyone else. He has that silent protest attitude about him. RGIII doesn't smile as much as Luck does, and RGIII just feels like he's going through the motions to get paid, whereas Luck seems to be having fun with all this. I just get a feeling RGIII is seeking the NFL for money, whereas Luck is seeking the NFL to make a name for himself.

I guess only time will tell...

I saw the one with RGIII. I don't remember who was interviewing him, but he showed RGIII a play on the whiteboard, then asked RGIII a bunch of unrelated questions, then he told RGIII to draw up the route he showed him earlier. RGIII did it to perfection, but one thing had me bothered...

RGIII has a tendency to dip his head and look bored, and kind of roll his head to the side sometimes, as if he thinks he's better than everyone else. He has that silent protest attitude about him. RGIII doesn't smile as much as Luck does, and RGIII just feels like he's going through the motions to get paid, whereas Luck seems to be having fun with all this. I just get a feeling RGIII is seeking the NFL for money, whereas Luck is seeking the NFL to make a name for himself.

I haven't seen the RG3 version of QB camp yet. So, I cannot comment on that.

However, from everything I have seen of Luck, I can generally concur with your assessment that Luck is being genuine. He truly loves the game of football and it shows in his work ethic, his devotion to hone his skills, and his general demeanor. Futhermore I believe him to be painfully honest to everyone, even reporters. This is evident with his long pregnant pauses searching for the right words, misplaced stress on certain words in sentence cadence, and awkward silences of "ummmms".

I get a similar vibe that you get from RG3.

I wouldnt want to have Gruden as a head coach but I think he would make a good coordinator for us of some sort, love his intensity some of the things he says I dont like though, hes been adament about disliking instant replay, which I happen to like alot

I haven't seen the RG3 version of QB camp yet. So, I cannot comment on that.

However, from everything I have seen of Luck, I can generally concur with your assessment that Luck is being genuine. He truly loves the game of football and it shows in his work ethic, his devotion to hone his skills, and his general demeanor. Futhermore I believe him to be painfully honest to everyone, even reporters. This is evident with his long pregnant pauses searching for the right words, misplaced stress on certain words in sentence cadence, and awkward silences of "ummmms".

I get a similar vibe that you get from RG3.

I found it:

http://www.nfl.com/v...hows-his-smarts

He says all the right things, but I'm just a bit concerned by his nonverbal at certain points. As Mariucci was drawing the play up, RGIII looked kind of bored/tired, especially @ 1:31, as if RGIII's thinking, "Dude, don't insult my intelligence." He just didn't seem to be enjoying himself as much as Andrew Luck did. Andrew Luck seemed to be having fun, whereas RGIII just seemed to be going through the motions.

Also, when Luck was drawing up the play on the whiteboard, Luck would literally turn around 180 to talk to Gruden face-to-face, whereas RGIII seemed to have trouble taking his eyes off the whiteboard to look face-to-face with Mariucci, despite Mariucci standing up next to RGIII's side.

It's a bit nitpicky in retrospect, but little things like that could really separate these two QB's in the future.

I found it:

He says all the right things, but I'm just a bit concerned by his nonverbal at certain points. As Mariucci was drawing the play up, RGIII looked kind of bored/tired, especially @ 1:31, as if RGIII's thinking, "Dude, don't insult my intelligence." He just didn't seem to be enjoying himself as much as Andrew Luck did. Andrew Luck seemed to be having fun, whereas RGIII just seemed to be going through the motions.

Also, when Luck was drawing up the play on the whiteboard, Luck would literally turn around 180 to talk to Gruden face-to-face, whereas RGIII seemed to have trouble taking his eyes off the whiteboard to look face-to-face with Mariucci, despite Mariucci standing up next to RGIII's side.

It's a bit nitpicky in retrospect, but little things like that could really separate these two QB's in the future.

I think you are very astute in noticing the body language.

It may be nitpicky, but it is a window into the soul and will definitely translate into performance, as it will affect the way these QBs work with teammates, coaches, GMs, owners, media and fans.

After watching both videos, I was impressed by how smart BOTH of these guys are. I want Luck to be the Colt's pick, but if we instead choose RG3, I think we would be OK as far as the QB intelligence level is concerned.

But my penchant for Luck is because he's bigger, can run better than Peyton (granted not as fast as RG3) and would be a more conventional QB in the mold of Manning.

RG3 will be great running a West Coast offense (as with the Redskins), but I think the Colts are going to be built as a run first team. The other thing I like about Luck is that he already knows how to call plays at the line, just like Manning was taught.

See, short pass is his game, Like Brady, Not like Manning. He will get rid of the ball quickly with good routes and good plays.

thats just 1 play, but if he turns out to have a brady-like career, id be quite alright with that..

thats just 1 play, but if he turns out to have a brady-like career, id be quite alright with that..

I have to say, I almost despise the short passing game of the Pats. I know it's very effective, but if that's the route we go, I'll be disappointed. They don't even mix them up all that well. It's kind of like "I'm going to throw another 6 yard curl to Wes Welker and you can't stop it"....Uuugghhhh!

I have to say, I almost despise the short passing game of the Pats. I know it's very effective, but if that's the route we go, I'll be disappointed. They don't even mix them up all that well. It's kind of like "I'm going to throw another 6 yard curl to Wes Welker and you can't stop it"....Uuugghhhh!

i completely agree, short pass after short pass, i cant stand it, to me its almost like the cowards way out, especially cause ur not even allowed to put a finger on a receiver in that area or u get flags all day

i completely agree, short pass after short pass, i cant stand it, to me its almost like the cowards way out, especially cause ur not even allowed to put a finger on a receiver in that area or u get flags all day

Its not Brady's fault players dont go to wrap anymore they go for the big hit, thats why defenses cant stop it with any consistency

Its not Brady's fault players dont go to wrap anymore they go for the big hit, thats why defenses cant stop it with any consistency

yes that another reason, some of these coaches need to teach these players the fundamentals of football again

Def. the most intelligent QB prospect of the talented options available. It would be insane for the Colts not to take this guy. Side note: He put up equal numbers to Cam Newton, who in my opinion is one of the most athletic QBs in the NFL. How could you pass on this guy?

yes that another reason, some of these coaches need to teach these players the fundamentals of football again

Dont take my word for it cause I never seen a practice obviously but I heard players dont get much time practicing with pads anymore so thats probably why tackling has gotten so bad if thats true

Def. the most intelligent QB prospect of the talented options available. It would be insane for the Colts not to take this guy. Side note: He put up equal numbers to Cam Newton, who in my opinion is one of the most athletic QBs in the NFL. How could you pass on this guy?

IMO if hes at least half the QB hes said to be, and how the rules in the NFL are so bias towards the QB these days, u still have to take him cause he will be a very good to great qb, u cant touch the qb, u cant touch the WRs anymore, the D is at so much of a disadvantage, how could u not think he will be a success in the NFL

I found it:

Naahhh, that is what I call nitpicking and overanalyzing!!! It is kinda like some draft analysts saying that Cam Newton is fake and a showman more than he is QB. It is like the person who is viewing something is distracted by the side effects instead of focusing on the content. It is like making a support call to Dell and someone in India picks it up. A lot of times, the accent, even it is clear enough for you to understand, distracts you more and can make you perceive the situation differently than it is. It is like focusing on the medium than the message itself, IMO.

RG3 did great, IMO, just as did Luck. To me, RG3 was more impressive than Cam Newton who was not spectacular while grilled by Gruden. Cam has a greater chance of suffering a sophomore slump because now teams know Cam has a tendency to think by being bigger, he can run through guys and the NFL players will be ready for it. If Cam does not improvize on his passing skills, he could end up like Vince Young who had a great first year but then regressed.

RG3 will be a better passer than Cam Newton. The key with RG3 is knowing to avoid hits so that he does not end up like Vick. He is the later version of the passing Vick but one that I think is smarter about knowing what it takes to succeed.

I agree with Chad72. I was impressed with both. I think that if RGIII is drafted second, he'll have a chip on his shulder and will play as if he has something to prove. Both RGIII and Luck will always be compared to one another once they enter the NFL. I thinlk largely what will seperate them is the teams that they're on. Right now, if RGIII goes to the Redskins, he would have the advantage of a team with a top 10 defense and a receiving corps that's shaping up nicely.

I am excited to see what this year's Colts will look like offensively and defensively. It's like a whole new team!

everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but i didn't see any of that.

I hate it too, but it works. Only problem is that the Pats had no way of stretching the field so at one point it will become stoppable. But doesn't that short passing game remind you of those unstoppable plays on Madden? Like you know it's coming, you stack everyone to that area, and still can't stop the same play.

*sigh*

if only we had Andrew Luck in this situation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBlvjtfpPAg

:/ He would have creamed Tracy Porter...

I literally LOL'ed when I was watching the SB. Manning looked so helpless. All I could do was shake my head and give PM his props for trying.

If you go in to something like this looking to find something to nitpick the odds are very good that you will find it. What was lacking entirely from the Luck video was the learning element and, curiously, that was the part you scrutinized RGIII for. Both players were very cordial and were smiling when they drew up the plays. Both displayed a great grasp of the concepts they were being polled about. Griffin didn't look particularly emotional or engaged when he was absorbing the concept presented to him but the results suggest that he clearly was engaged enough. If it was too easy for him, well, it probably should be.

Besides, looking enthusiastic isn't important at all. A lot of QBs are pretty subdued until you see them joking around with coaches and teammates or accomplishing something on the field. Most people in general are like that.

Hear Todd McShay say today on NFL Live that Griifin did his own rap routine before his pro day. McShay said he didn't care for that much but went on to say his day went well. I have noticed a few subtle things about him (Griffin) too but probably making too much about it. There's just something about him that just doesn't get me excited about him being a Colt. I also think I will have a really hard time if we let Peyton go for RGIII. I think Irsay blows this big time if he goes that direction with the majority...not all...but the majority of Colt fans.