Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches film

WoolMagnet

I’ve found my new favorite way to watch a game.  Really gives you an idea of what's happening.    You can see play design, who’s out of position, who missed a block, who fell down, even who’s pickin their nose or scratchin their butt. All 22 on the field so you miss nothing.

I especially like to see the blocking bubbles grow or collapse on the line.

I just cant say how much i’m gaining from this.  Each play is run twice...once from sideline (all 22), then from endzone (all 22).  Great to see the plays develop, or a defender fly across the field to a tackle.

No sound, so i will still watch normally first (or radio sometimes for drama), but if anyone never checked it out..... you must!  I cant believe i waited this long.  I have such a better idea of what we’re trying to do and who looks good or bad on EVERY play.

Also, i feel better about last week after watching for some odd reason.  I kept finding myself saying “oh, thats why that happened.”

The normal perspective is such a focused frame , usually on the ball.  We’re missing all the little battles going on in the periphery.

30 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Where's the link?

NFL Game Pass. It’s $99 for the season.  

@WoolMagnet is right, if you really want to know what’s going on in a game it’s the best.  When we watch it on TV we hardly ever see anything that’s not near the ball.  

I used to get it because it also include the preseason games live.  

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

NFL Game Pass. It’s $99 for the season.  

@WoolMagnet is right, if you really want to know what’s going on in a game it’s the best.  When we watch it on TV we hardly ever see anything that’s not near the ball.  

I used to get it because it also include the preseason games live.  

I just purchased it because I'm getting married and going to Florida for my honeymoon and want to listen to the Colts Game on the way down from here in Indiana I'm driving it'll be the Jets.  I will check out the game film now on here. 

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I just purchased it because I'm getting married and going to Florida for my honeymoon and want to listen to the Colts Game on the way down from here in Indiana I'm driving it'll be the Jets.  I will check out the game film now on here. 

Congrats!  The All 22 is great if you have the time to review it.  Especially looking at the D.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I’ve found my new favorite way to watch a game.  Really gives you an idea of what's happening.    You can see play design, who’s out of position, who missed a block, who fell down, even who’s pickin their nose or scratchin their butt. All 22 on the field so you miss nothing.

I just cant say how much i’m gaining from this.  Each play is run twice...once from sideline (all 22), then from endzone (all 22).  Great to see the plays develop, or a defender fly across the field to a tackle.

No sound, so i will still watch normally first (or radio sometimes for drama), but if anyone never checked it out..... you must!  I cant believe i waited this long.  I have such a better idea of what we’re trying to do and who looks good or bad on EVERY play.

Also, i feel better about last week after watching for some odd reason.  I kept finding myself saying “oh, thats why that happened.”

The normal perspective is such a focused frame , usually on the ball.  We’re missing all the little battles going on in the periphery.

So what seemed to be the problem on the defensive front v the run?  maybe the LBs weren't filling?  We're they just getting walled off or what was going on.  I was surprised somewhat at the ease of the running game for them.  Seemed like same ol same ol.  

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

So what seemed to be the problem on the defensive front v the run?  maybe the LBs weren't filling?  We're they just getting walled off or what was going on.  I was surprised somewhat at the ease of the running game for them.  Seemed like same ol same ol.  

They ran well the first half (85 yards) then we cleaned it up and they only ran for 6 yards in the second half. Roughly the same number of rushes per half, so it was pretty good run D the second half. 

Here's a pretty good film breakdown of the D, by Zach Hicks.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/9/18/21444494/film-room-looking-at-why-the-colts-defense-struggled-so-much-in-jacksonville

6 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

They ran well the first half (85 yards) then we cleaned it up and they only ran for 6 yards in the second half. Roughly the same number of rushes per half, so it was pretty good run D the second half. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/9/18/21444494/film-room-looking-at-why-the-colts-defense-struggled-so-much-in-jacksonville

Zach Hicks does good work. This piece identifies that a lot of the big coverage busts came against man/match coverage. So much for that theory, right? Two of the three TDs, and Rhodes big penalty, were against man. 

4 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Yeah I looked through it.  The 1st half definitely seemed set up the play action in the 2nd.

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I just got it this year, havent had a chance to use it so far since they were late uploading. I get lucky since it is included in my season ticket package

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Zach Hicks does good work. This piece identifies that a lot of the big coverage busts came against man/match coverage. So much for that theory, right? Two of the three TDs, and Rhodes big penalty, were against man. 

Bingo. 

Kinda shoots the opinion of zone coverage out the window for those who are harping on it. 

Most of those who are complaining are not comprehending what they are seeing. 

10 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I've got a different take on these clips than Zack Hicks does.  In nearly every clip, #54 Anthony Walker is either overpursuing or making a misread, resulting in the play exploiting whatever he did wrong.  We see him racing the RB for the edge of the formation, abandoning the growing gap in the line, but when he follows the RB back to the gap, he's out of position and being blocked by a guard.  If he would have filled that gap, even if he had the guard all over him, it may have convinced the RB to continue to stretch out to the edge, where our DE looked to have pretty good contain.  In each clip, Walker seems to be learning all over again how to play linebacker.  I'm gonna blame it on his jersey number.  Never switch jersey numbers in the middle of your career on the same team.

I have had Directv nfl ticket since 1998 whenPeyton came in.

Its not cheap, but i’m in Pa and if you divide by 16 games its under $20 a (Colts) game.  Not bad imo.  I have recorded to dvd all along too.

This year with covid i decided to try game pass instead.  I had a free trial months back , watched some games on it and liked it.

The ONLY downside is having to wait until games end to view.

Last week listened to home crew live on gamepass radio, then watched game after.

With apple lightning to HDMI to s-video , i can stillrecord todvd . (I used phone and ipad data not wifi)

Also, with nfl ticket, when games are over... they are GONE.  Gamepass i have all games waiting for me when ever i want in radio, normal, condensed, and coaches film.  Plus past years games, playoffs, preseasons, and superbowls.

$99?  Yes please!

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bingo. 

Kinda shoots the opinion of zone coverage out the window for those who are harping on it. 

Most of those who are complaining are not comprehending what they are seeing. 

Hmmmm.  I see what u r saying. However.........!!! So Ballard has assembled a defense that is comprised of defensive players that fit a zone scheme.   U cannot primarily play a zone defence now a days as qbs will eat u up.  Those same defensive players are not built to play man either. So, I guess what I am saying is that they are screwed. Thats why I was never a big fan of Ballards approach.  I hope I am wrong but I have always felt this way the day he was hired as the Colts GM. This weekends game is so important to the future of this organization.

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm.  I see what u r saying. However.........!!! So Ballard has assembled a defense that is comprised of defensive players that fit a zone scheme.   U cannot primarily play a zone defence now a days as qbs will eat u up.  Those same defensive players are not built to play man either. So, I guess what I am saying is that they are screwed. Thats why I was never a big fan of Ballards approach.  I hope I am wrong but I have always felt this way the day he was hired as the Colts GM. This weekends game is so important to the future of this organization.

I wouldn't say he's assembled a D that are fits for zone. Rock was a cover/press corner. Willis comes from a press D. Blackmon comes from a D that's all about man coverage. Rhoades in MN used a lot of man C1, and even man a lot when in C2. MN could have changed this last year, but pretty sure they played a ton of man during Rhoades career (I know we have MN fans that can comment). 

I was actually figuring we were going to play more man, or at least wanted to play more man. Flus hinted before last season started that we'd see more man, but the only game we really saw it was the KC game, against a crippled passing attack. I figured he wanted to beef up the DL with a few horses before he transitioned. 

At the end of the day, the situation is so muddy, it's hard to tell. What we do know is that our zone D gives a ton of cushion and is soft as Charmin. Flus could still play C2 with press coverage instead of all the cushion. IMO, we probably have more guys from a C1 scheme, than C2, or at least those that played in C2 had a lot of press elements to them.

If anything, I think it's two things. 1) Charmin soft way to much cushion. It's really bad on 1st and 2nd downs at times. I can understand cushion on X and long, but we get ate up underneath by everyone on standard downs. And I've seen way to much cushion at times on 3rd and short, which is simply inexcusable.  And 2) we simply try to be too cute. If we were going to shrink the playbook anywhere, I'd do it for the DBs.

Regardless, I don't see this as a Ballard problem. I see this as a Reich/Flus problem. If we're going to play C2, we need play it with more press and less zone. And against teams like Jax, we probably would have been better off playing C1.

Archived