Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Rumor* Andrew Luck

CheezyColt

The only QB I would take over Luck is Mahomes if Luck was playing in 2020. Rodgers is older, Brady and Brees a lot older. Wilson maybe?? I have always said though had Luck got drafted by the Seahawks, Luck would have a SB win by now. Luck is just as good if not better than Wilson. Jackson is the MVP but has no wins in the playoffs and Luck is just simply better than Watson. He proved that in 2018. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only QB I would take over Luck is Mahomes if Luck was playing in 2020. Rodgers is older, Brady and Brees a lot older. Wilson maybe?? I have always said though had Luck got drafted by the Seahawks, Luck would have a SB win by now. Luck is just as good if not better than Wilson. Jackson is the MVP but has no wins in the playoffs and Luck is just simply better than Watson. He proved that in 2018. 

Here's my list over Luck and with Luck

1.) Mahomes

2.) Wilson

3.) Lamar Jackson

4.) Watson

5.) Luck

I still would have Luck as a top 5 QB, but honestly, the top 4 above him are superior to him right now because of age, or being better players (or in Mahomes case, both). Luck is still top 5 though, and I would take him back as long as none of his contract was guaranteed and if he retired he'd get nothing.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1.) Mahomes

2.) Wilson

3.) Lamar Jackson

4.) Watson

5.) Luck

I still would have Luck as a top 5 QB, but honestly, the top 4 above him are superior to him right now because of age, or being better players (or in Mahomes case, both). Luck is still top 5 though, and I would take him back as long as none of his contract was guaranteed and if he retired he'd get nothing.

I am a Watson fan but I think Luck is better regarding those 2. I can buy the other 3 being better but I would still put Luck at #2. To me Mahomes is the only one clearly better. Wilson got drafted to a team that was ready to win and was stacked on defense. So yeah he won a SB and he has had great career so far. If you notice, he hasn't won a SB since that D isn't near as great. When Lynch left, they weren't the same team either. Luck has never had a defense like the Seahawks team had in 2013 or a RB like Lynch. 

This is me dreaming of the day when threads no longer include Luck's return or the coaches/GM's inability to recognize the greatness of Kelly. 

rony-weasley-day-dreaming-sigh-harry-pot

Heck, while I'm at it, let's add threads not including:

* The preseason is too long

* The Probowl is a joke

* anything that mentions that +, Tom Brady.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a Watson fan but I think Luck is better regarding those 2. I can buy the other 3 being better but I would still put Luck at #2. To me Mahomes is the only one clearly better. Wilson got drafted to a team that was ready to win and was stacked on defense. So yeah he won a SB and he has had great career so far. If you notice, he hasn't won a SB since that D isn't near as great. When Lynch left, they weren't the same team either. Luck has never had a defense like the Seahawks team had in 2013 or a RB like Lynch. 

Watson passed Luck last year IMO. Wilson has probably been better than Luck for 5 years. He never had an O-Line either, his WRs have been subpar until recently, and he made 2 SBs and won 1 while Luck never made one. Plus, Wilson is just a much better scrambler and never made the amount of mistakes Luck did. He had a better defense and running game, but Luck is a no1 overall pick that was touted as the best since Elway, so he was expected to be better than Wilson (a 3rd round pick). 

Sometimes you have to step up. Luck never did so. Wilson made 2 SBs and won 1. Luck couldn't beat the Pats or Steelers his entire career. He just couldn't do it against good teams. Then when Ballard becomes our GM and builds Luck a good O-Line, he retires. 

Luck would of been on a great team by now. That's the downside of being a no1 overall pick and why most of them don't win a SB early in their careers. Peyton and Elway took a long time. Most of the new QBs still in the league as no1 picks haven't made a SB. Maybe Eli won it in his 4th year and the list is short. You have to be great to win a SB as a no1 overall pick QB. Luck was in a bad situation and he didn't have the patience or passion to play a little longer with the perfect GM. He played in 2018, he knew the potential of the team, he chose to quit. The other 4 QB's are better IMO, and Luck would need to play a year before I would consider putting him above any of them.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Watson passed Luck last year IMO. Wilson has probably been better than Luck for 5 years. He never had an O-Line either, his WRs have been subpar until recently, and he made 2 SBs and won 1 while Luck never made one. Plus, Wilson is just a much better scrambler and never made the amount of mistakes Luck did. He had a better defense and running game, but Luck is a no1 overall pick that was touted as the best since Elway, so he was expected to be better than Wilson (a 3rd round pick). 

Sometimes you have to step up. Luck never did so. Wilson made 2 SBs and won 1. Luck couldn't beat the Pats or Steelers his entire career. He just couldn't do it against good teams. Then when Ballard becomes our GM and builds Luck a good O-Line, he retires. 

Luck would of been on a great team by now. That's the downside of being a no1 overall pick and why most of them don't win a SB early in their careers. Peyton and Elway took a long time. Most of the new QBs still in the league as no1 picks haven't made a SB. Maybe Eli won it in his 4th year and the list is short. You have to be great to win a SB as a no1 overall pick QB. Luck was in a bad situation and he didn't have the patience or passion to play a little longer with the perfect GM. He played in 2018, he knew the potential of the team, he chose to quit. The other 4 QB's are better IMO, and Luck would need to play a year before I would consider putting him above any of them.

Like I posted, I can see the other 3 being rated higher but Watson has only 1 playoff win in his career, never has been to a championship game either. Luck has 4 playoff wins and has been to a championship game. Watson has never had a season where he has thrown for 40 TD's either, Luck has had one (2014) and in 2018 Luck had 39 - nearly 2. Luck outplayed Watson by a mile in their 2018 playoff matchup. So I disagree Watson is better, he is younger but not better. Luck is only 31 so it is not like he is old. Rodgers is even a lot older.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I posted, I can see the other 3 being rated higher but Watson has only 1 playoff win in his career, never has been to a championship game either. Luck has 4 playoff wins and has been to a championship game. Watson has never had a season where he has thrown for 40 TD's either, Luck has had one (2014) and in 2018 Luck had 39 - nearly 2. Luck outplayed Watson by a mile in their 2018 playoff matchup. So I disagree Watson is better, he is younger but not better. Luck is only 31 so it is not like he is old. Rodgers is even a lot older.

That's fair. Watson is mostly due to age, but I think he's finally good enough to lead them to the playoffs. However, they will decline soon with some contracts running out. I see Luck as 32 in football years because I believe he'd be rusty for a year. Just a guess though. I would take Watson too because I feel he's non injury-prone, and that's good for a long-term answer at QB. I would take Luck back in a heartbeat though as long as we didn't have to pay him anything if he retired again.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

That's fair. Watson is mostly due to age, but I think he's finally good enough to lead them to the playoffs. However, they will decline soon with some contracts running out. I see Luck as 32 in football years because I believe he'd be rusty for a year. Just a guess though. I would take Watson too because I feel he's non injury-prone, and that's good for a long-term answer at QB. I would take Luck back in a heartbeat though as long as we didn't have to pay him anything if he retired again.

It will be interesting to see how Watson does without Hopkins. If they won the division again that would show me a lot. Losing Hopkins is a huge blow.

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Mahomes would be 16 years old in 2012. Kinda hard to imagine him in the NFL in high school. You can't compare QBs of different ages like that, that's why I said 2017 when he got drafted. Only way you can compare him to Luck.

It's an imaginary situation. An IF situation. Surely you can transpose times with the two QBs, I'm not asking you to picture Mahomes playing in the Bart Starr era.

I'm saying if Patrick Mahomes started off.....nevermind. It doesn't matter. Lets just say Mahomes is great and as a neutral, I'm glad a young QB with superb potential got drafted by an organization that knew exactly what to do with him.

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Watson had a good year in 2019 with 26 TDs and 12 INTs. In 2018, he had 26 TDs and 9 INTs. If Luck had those stats, we would say that Luck had a down year. No way has Watson eclipsed Luck, and I don't think that's a controversial statement to make, right?

Luck never made the Super Bowl, unlike Russel Wilson.

By the way, what was the Seahawks' defensive ranking the year they won the Super Bowl? I'll give you a hint -- it was #1.

image.png.8a13781bf4961e56615bd0cc65344cbe.png

Rushing offense rank - #1. And how about their passing offense? It was ranked as #27. Looks to me that their #1 ranked defense and their #1 ranked rushing offense had a lot to do with getting to the Super Bowl. Here is the stats page from ESPN as reference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/season/2014/seasontype/2/table/passing/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

By the way, who had the #1 passing offense that year? Yup, you guessed it. Luck and the Colts. The Colts had the #1 passing offense despite a poor O-line, and no run game, meaning that teams knew they were going to throw the ball, and they still couldn't stop Luck. Russell Wilson is a very good QB, but it's all too clear that you need a complete TEAM to make it to the Super Bowl. Take for example Manning with the Colts vs Manning with the Broncos. The Broncos gave Manning a good O-line, WRs, TE, and great defense and that resulted in multiple Super Bowls in a very short period of time.

Is it fair to say that Luck didn't step up? He carried a garbage roster to the post season every time he was healthy. He beat the Seahawks and the Legion of Boom defense, the 49ers with harbaugh, and Manning led Broncos teams. He has won plenty of big games.

Lastly, Jared - Let's say that you play for a football team. You are surrounded with a few good players and the rest of the team is largely just trash. You somehow find a way to carry your team to the playoffs, time-and-time again. Yet, you lose in the playoffs. Should we blame YOU or the trash players around you who couldn't contribute when you needed them to?

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Watson had a good year in 2019 with 26 TDs and 12 INTs. In 2018, he had 26 TDs and 9 INTs. If Luck had those stats, we would say that Luck had a down year. No way has Watson eclipsed Luck, and I don't think that's a controversial statement to make, right?

By the way, what was the Seahawks' defensive ranking the year they won the Super Bowl? I'll give you a hint -- it was #1.

Rushing offense rank - #1. And how about their passing offense? It was ranked as #27. Looks to me that their #1 ranked defense and their #1 ranked rushing offense had a lot to do with getting to the Super Bowl. Here is the stats page from ESPN as reference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/season/2014/seasontype/2/table/passing/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

By the way, who had the #1 passing offense that year? Yup, you guessed it. Luck and the Colts. The Colts had the #1 passing offense despite a poor O-line, and no run game, meaning that teams knew they were going to throw the ball, and they still couldn't stop Luck. Russell Wilson is a very good QB, but it's all too clear that you need a complete TEAM to make it to the Super Bowl. Take for example Manning with the Colts vs Manning with the Broncos. The Broncos gave Manning a good O-line, WRs, TE, and great defense and that resulted in multiple Super Bowls in a very short period of time.

Is it fair to say that Luck didn't step up? He carried a garbage roster to the post season every time he was healthy. He beat the Seahawks and the Legion of Boom defense, the 49ers with harbaugh, and Manning led Broncos teams. He has won plenty of big games.

image.png

Watson was drafted 5 years later than Luck. He may not of been as good as Luck was in 2014, but I'll take Watson at 24 over a rusty Luck at 30 anyday. Wilson may of won the SB based off his running attack and defense, but he is easily the 2nd best QB today and has carried that team for awhile since the defense has fallen off. He has also never had an O-Line and his WR's have been subpar until recently. 

Luck didn't win the important games. He never beat the Pats or Steelers in his career, and those were the games that mattered most since they were in our conference and were our obstacles to making the SB at that time. His last game will be known for losing to Patrick Mahomes in his 2nd year. I have serious doubts Luck would of ever beat Mahomes and the Chiefs, and there are several other QBs like Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson (in the division) that were as good or better than him. 

When you are the no1 overall pick, you go to a worse team, plain and simple. You want to argue Luck had it worse than Wilson when Luck was the best prospect since Elway supposedly and Wilson was a 3rd round QB. Maybe Wilson was underrated and Luck was overrated? Most QBs that go no1 overall don't win SBs early in their careers for a reason, the team they get drafted to is awful and they are supposed to be the savior and the answer to the team. Luck may of been that, but he took his ball and went home.

No excuses. Ballard built a team around him, and Luck even played with a solid version of it in 2018. He quit, and now guys like Wilson, Jackson and Watson are the new faces of the NFL. I'd rather have one of them then someone who doesn't have passion for the game, and screwed all of his teammates and the fans.

17 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Lastly, Jared - Let's say that you play for a football team. You are surrounded with a few good players and the rest of the team is largely just trash. You somehow find a way to carry your team to the playoffs, time-and-time again. Yet, you lose in the playoffs. Should we blame YOU or the trash players around you who couldn't contribute when you needed them to?

You’re spot on.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck didn't win the important games.

dude played in 6 was it playoff games? Won half of them? Beat a SB winning D in Denver. 

The argument that both of you made in your own way and for different reasons was that the Colts roster wasn't good. True story. 

Watson is the better NFL QB right now for the same reason Chad Kelly is, they're playing. Beyond that? I'm pretty sure Luck is still upper tier of ability and debating that seems kind of pointless- but he's not playing so pointless is operative to the whole of the conversation. 

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Watson was drafted 5 years later than Luck. He may not of been as good as Luck was in 2014, but I'll take Watson at 24 over a rusty Luck at 30 anyday. Wilson may of won the SB based off his running attack and defense, but he is easily the 2nd best QB today and has carried that team for awhile since the defense has fallen off. He has also never had an O-Line and his WR's have been subpar until recently. 

Luck didn't win the important games. He never beat the Pats or Steelers in his career, and those were the games that mattered most since they were in our conference and were our obstacles to making the SB at that time. His last game will be known for losing to Patrick Mahomes in his 2nd year. I have serious doubts Luck would of ever beat Mahomes and the Chiefs, and there are several other QBs like Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson (in the division) that were as good or better than him. 

When you are the no1 overall pick, you go to a worse team, plain and simple. You want to argue Luck had it worse than Wilson when Luck was the best prospect since Elway supposedly and Wilson was a 3rd round QB. Maybe Wilson was underrated and Luck was overrated? Most QBs that go no1 overall don't win SBs early in their careers for a reason, the team they get drafted to is awful and they are supposed to be the savior and the answer to the team. Luck may of been that, but he took his ball and went home.

No excuses. Ballard built a team around him, and Luck even played with a solid version of it in 2018. He quit, and now guys like Wilson, Jackson and Watson are the new faces of the NFL. I'd rather have one of them then someone who doesn't have passion for the game, and screwed all of his teammates and the fans.

Luck played the Steelers once, in October 2014. In that game, the Colts defense allowed B. Roethlisberger to throw for 6 TDs and 522 yards. The Colts defense allowed the Steelers to score 51 points. (Luck threw for 3 TDs and 400 yards).

During the Luck era, the Colts played the Patriots in 2012, 2014, 2015 (twice) and 2018. Here are how any points the Colts defense allowed: 59, 43, 42, 45, 34 and 38.

You  are blaming Luck for not winning against the Steelers and Patriots, but it does seem like you are overlooking the other aspects of football. It's a team sport. And when I show how many points the opposing teams have put up, it should be clear that the Colts defense was not up for the challenge. But we can continue to blame Luck.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Luck played the Steelers once, in October 2014. In that game, the Colts defense allowed B. Roethlisberger to throw for 6 TDs and 522 yards. The Colts defense allowed the Steelers to score 51 points. (Luck threw for 3 TDs and 400 yards).

During the Luck era, the Colts played the Patriots in 2012, 2014, 2015 (twice) and 2018. Here are how any points the Colts defense allowed: 59, 43, 42, 45, 34 and 38.

You  are blaming Luck for not winning against the Steelers and Patriots, but it does seem like you are overlooking the other aspects of football. It's a team sport. And when I show how many points the opposing teams have put up, it should be clear that the Colts defense was not up for the challenge. But we can continue to blame Luck.

The Colts scored 24, 22, 20, 7, 27 and 24 with Luck. The 7 was in the AFC Championship game with the SB on the line. We were never competitive and the highest Luck scored Vs the Pats (27) was lower than the Pats worst score Vs us (34). Again, Luck was overrated, and he quit on us. The defense was bad, but he didn't hold up his end either.

50 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Well first, I wouldn't play on a football team because I don't like to depend on others. I'm a control freak. Second, I have already said plenty of no1 overall QBs don't win the SB early in their careers. My issue with Luck is how uncompetitive and easily shut down he is Vs the Pats, and the fact that he quit on the team when things finally started getting good with Ballard. He is completely overrated and had little passion for the game. When you're the best prospect since Elway, when does some of the responsiblity go on you to win games? Why does he need a perfect team to win a SB or beat the Pats? Even if the team wasn't good enough and he was outmatched, he quit when he had the tools to win. That erases any credibility that he could of won with better talent. We have better talent now, and Luck wanted nothing to do with us.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Colts scored 24, 22, 20, 7, 27 and 24 with Luck. The 7 was in the AFC Championship game with the SB on the line. We were never competitive and the highest Luck scored Vs the Pats (27) was lower than the Pats worst score Vs us (34). Again, Luck was overrated, and he quit on us. The defense was bad, but he didn't hold up his end either.

Yeah Luck did quit on us but he was not over rated. 

No knock on Rivers but I wish we had a healthy Luck on this team right now. Sorry, saying he was over rated is pure horse dung. 

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1.) Mahomes

2.) Wilson

3.) Lamar Jackson

4.) Watson

5.) Luck

I dont understand why you would take Lamar over Andrew wheb Lamar isn't even a proven passer. Sure he can run and avoid pressure. But can he pass at an elite level?

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah Luck did quit on us but he was not over rated. 

No knock on Rivers but I wish we had a healthy Luck on this team right now. Sorry, saying he was over rated is pure horse dung. 

I would take a healthy Luck on this team as well. We have a great team, so I think he could do something. Doesn't mean he's not overrated. He's not even the best QB in his draft class. Luck is just like any other QB that can't carry a team on his back. He's not special, and he has baggage. However, we could literally use any above average QB now and have a chance at a SB. Luck just slightly increases our chances at this point. Ballard already did the work by putting the complete team together. 

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I dont understand why you would take Lamar over Andrew wheb Lamar isn't even a proven passer. Sure he can run and avoid pressure. But can he pass at an elite level?

Lamar is an elite runner and was taught how to pass between his first and second season. He's extremely young, and a big reason he doesn't pass too much is because the Ravens are a great run team and he runs. However, Lamar is almost always good for 200-250 yards and 3 tds. That's really important when you can get the ball in the end zone, run it in the end zone, and the rbs are running it in the end zone. He's like a tebow on steroids that can play football.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would take a healthy Luck on this team as well. We have a great team, so I think he could do something. Doesn't mean he's not overrated. He's not even the best QB in his draft class. Luck is just like any other QB that can't carry a team on his back. He's not special, and he has baggage. However, we could literally use any above average QB now and have a chance at a SB. Luck just slightly increases our chances at this point. Ballard already did the work by putting the complete team together. 

Horse dung.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lamar is an elite runner and was taught how to pass between his first and second season. He's extremely young, and a big reason he doesn't pass too much is because the Ravens are a great run team and he runs. However, Lamar is almost always good for 200-250 yards and 3 tds. That's really important when you can get the ball in the end zone, run it in the end zone, and the rbs are running it in the end zone. He's like a tebow on steroids that can play football.

Lamar has to grow. Andrew didn't have to, it just would have been nice. I was as upset as everyone that Andrew walked away... idk, at this point we are arguing over which top of the line car is better. Theyre all awesome, and at this point I'll take any one of them, and you can add Aaron Rogers to that list if you couldn't get anyone else after this year. 

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

But this is 2020...and Wilson is obviously a great QB. He has been an incredibly efficient QB for years now. If Pete Carroll would let him loose to throw 620-650 passes...we would see gaudy numbers...but that's not SEA's brand of football...and Wilson's stats are almost in spite of that. 

SEA had a top defense and a great run offense when Wilson came into the league...BUT they have been a perennial top 10 passing offense...sometimes even top 5. According to DVOA...here is how SEA's passing offense has ranked with Wilson (chronologically from 2012 to current): 

4th, 8th, 10th, 2nd, 14th, 12th, 6th, 4th

When Luck played, IND never finished higher than SEA...not even in 2014 or 2018. So, according to DVOA, SEA (with Wilson) has been a better passing offense. I love Luck...and I think he could have done great things...but the Wilson vs. Luck debate has been over for a long time. 

As for Watson...statistically he has been a better QB than Luck was...at the same age. And even looking at career stats...Watson has been better in many categories. I don't know if he has eclipsed Luck...but he's only 25...and hasn't even reached his prime yet.

I know Luck's retirement really sucked at the time he did but the disrespect he has as a player right here for a few in this forum sucks as well. 

I understand being mad about him retiring but to say he was over rated as a player or he didn't do what another QB did on another team is totally being narrow minded. 

When Luck played he was one of the best in the league. His last season was his 2nd best year of his career.

The disrespect is appalling.  

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

dude played in 6 was it playoff games? Won half of them? Beat a SB winning D in Denver. 

The argument that both of you made in your own way and for different reasons was that the Colts roster wasn't good. True story. 

Watson is the better NFL QB right now for the same reason Chad Kelly is, they're playing. Beyond that? I'm pretty sure Luck is still upper tier of ability and debating that seems kind of pointless- but he's not playing so pointless is operative to the whole of the conversation. 

I heard the same accusations thrown at Peyton for a LONG time before he finally got some credit in 06. "Manning can't win big games" "Manning chokes in the playoffs" "Manning is a destroyer of small teams" blah blah blah. Hot mess talk.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I know Luck's retirement really sucked at the time he did but the disrespect he has as a player right here for a few in this forum sucks as well. 

I understand being mad about him retiring but to say he was over rated as a player or he didn't do what another QB did on another team is totally being narrow minded. 

When Luck played he was one of the best in the league. His last season was his 2nd best year of his career.

He is the 2nd greatest QB in Indianapolis Colts history, loved Harbaugh but he wasn't Luck.

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sounds like you just don’t like it when other people have a differing opinion on the topic of Luck. That seems pretty narrow-minded itself.

Objectivity =/= appalling disrespect. 

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

What's going on with that kid? What's his story? lol.

Seems like he was interviewed on first day of pre-k and reporter asked if he's going to miss his mom to which he replied "No!" but then started crying :D

It's been a very popular meme ever since. :D 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Sounds like you just don’t like it when other people have a differing opinion on the topic of Luck. That seems pretty narrow-minded itself.

Objectivity =/= appalling disrespect. 

Well I have my opinion because not everyone has the same as mine. I spoke my mind as an opinion. If someone takes offense I can't help that. 

Sounds like maybe you take all of too serious ? 

I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson as a top 5 QB, after a season and a half, there has been quite a few QB's who were great for a season or two, Colin Kaepernick, late 2012/2013, Vince Young, late 2007/2008, Mark Rypien 1991, Erik Kramer 1995, Vinnie Testaverde 1998, Chris Chandler 1998, Nick Foles late 2017 & 2018, Michael Vick 2004 & 2010, RG3 2012, unlike Mahomes who will have several great years ahead, Jackson is a wildcard, who is losing one of the great guards of the last decade (Yanda)he scares you more out of the pocket than in the pocket, if he develops he could be top 3.

Archived