Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Ranks Colts All-Pro DT DeForest Buckner as the NFL’s 4th Best Inside Defensive Lineman

Luck2Hilton4TD

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Top 5 in your position qualifies for big money. Just wait till Darius signs a 5-7 year deal for 70-100 M and Nelson to get a 5-7 deal for the same range

Do you think the post Covid-19 salary caps will follow the same trends as they expected or do we expect a course correction in these salaries?

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would put him at 3 personally over Fletcher Cox. He's a few years younger and on the same level IMO. I think that would qualify him to be 1 spot ahead of him.

In the last 4 years, he’s had over 100 more tackles (263 to 155) and 2 more sacks (28.5 to 26)

To be fair, Cox had some injuries last year but I’d still put Buckner ahead of Cox.

You could argue he belongs at #2 (ahead of Jones).

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Do you think the post Covid-19 salary caps will follow the same trends as they expected or do we expect a course correction in these salaries?

Deals will probably not change since this is hopefully a 1 year thing. The league will lose money this year no doubt but if a vaccine is ready by end of November, early December then the league will jack up the prices at the superbowl and playoffs in January. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

In the last 4 years, he’s had over 100 more tackles (263 to 155) and 2 more sacks (28.5 to 26)

To be fair, Cox had some injuries last year but I’d still put Buckner ahead of Cox.

You could argue he belongs at #2 (ahead of Jones).

Because of the age, yes, Buckner over Cox now. The Chris Jones contract probably reflects it a bit, IMO.

I could see him dropping after this year.   He is the man here where in SF he was one of many.   He'll get the additional focus.   Not saying he can't or won't be great, just saying that might be tougher for him here.   

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

I could see him dropping after this year.   He is the man here where in SF he was one of many.   He'll get the additional focus.   Not saying he can't or won't be great, just saying that might be tougher for him here.   

Either he becomes "the guy" or he enables Turay or another DE to become "the guy" due to the attention he gets. Both work in the Colts favor.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

From what SF fans say, he was the man before the other people popped up.  Basically, he's the reason why he was one of many in SF.

13 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Thanks. Just as I thought. Ballard set the market too high.

If someone ranked above him got a similar deal and it's a good guess it was discounted...I'm not sure how he overbid.  Now if the other two in front of them sign for similar numbers then yes, he overpaid.

49 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Thanks. Just as I thought. Ballard set the market too high.

Well...    you thought wrong.  

The market was set by Aaron Donald who makes $25m per.   He’s the top paid DL.

The market was not set by Chris Ballard. 

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...    you thought wrong.  

The market was set by Aaron Donald who makes $25m per.   He’s the top paid DL.

The market was not set by Chris Ballard. 

Donald and Jones are game changing, great ,difference making players.

Buckner is a "pretty good player"

We overpaid.

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We overpaid.

Says you, and nobody else.

And I couldn’t help but notice that you don't even have a number you’d find acceptable.   You just want to criticize.   

You don’t know what you’re talking about.  You just like playing the part of a bomb thrower.   Good luck with that.   Watch how fast people don’t take you seriously.   

32 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We overpaid.

Actually...   you got it wrong — again.

The quote was that Buckner was a “really good player”.   It was NOT “pretty good player.”    And there’s a big difference.

But even so, answer this question....  Why would you prefer the opinion of a nameless person over that of our own General Manager?   Why is the opinion of someone who you don’t even know more valuable to you than the view of Chris Ballard? 

That’s a mystery to me.... 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The quote was that Buckner was a “really good player”.   It was NOT “pretty good player.”    And there’s a big difference.

But even so, answer this question....  Why would you prefer the opinion of a nameless person over that of our own General Manager?   Why is the opinion of someone who you don’t even know more valuable to you than the view of Chris Ballard? 

IMO Buckner is a 'Great player', only Donald is better IMO. Jones is pretty equal. 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Have you even seen Buckner play? He's not a dominating player like Jones and Donald are.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Have you even seen Buckner play? He's not a dominating player like Jones and Donald are.

For discussions sake, I’ll agree with your argument.   And my answer is this....   so what?

Hes good enough to be highly thought of around the NFL.   The quote you offered that he’s a “really good player” is the first “negative” thing I’ve seen posted about him. 

That’s it.

There are no negative articles about the trade.  No negative articles about the contract.   There is one one article that says he’s not as good as Aaron Donald and that’s the same for everyone else in the NFL.

His contract is the cost if doing business. 

Again I ask....   so what?   He fits what the Colts hope to do on defense.   He plays the most important position on our defense.  He came with rave reviews as a leader on and off the field.   I don’t know why you think you know better than Ballard and seemingly everyone else in the NFL,  but you do. 

Good luck with that. 

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We overpaid.

Once again, attention hound. 

You know why he was paid but you can't resist throwing horse dung on anything positive. Not only him but everyone on the Colts roster. 

There's one in every crowd.  But let's say this:  Let's say he isn't even top 5 (which I don't believe).  Let's say he's just the best guy the Colts have right now.  People would roast Ballard if he weren't trying to improve the roster right?  So how are you going to get him, or a similar player like him, here?  Offer him half what another team would have?  Yeah, cause players are just dying to go to Indy.  The truth is you HAVE to overpay in FA to win the bid.  It's mandatory or else you don't get FA's.  That's just the price of doing business.

Buckner’s perceived success all depends on if other players step up.  Houston will be good but Autry needs to produce like his first year here and Turray and that kid from Ohio State need to stay on the field and start to show why they were 2nd round picks. If it’s just Houston playing above average Buckner will constantly face double teams and most likely be neutralized 80% of the time. If the other players do their jobs then they will all get opportunities to make the 7-10 big plays A game needed from the DL to stall drives. I personally don’t see it happening consistently but doesn’t change Buckner is a fantastic player.  Even double teamed he will win 20% of the plays and cause disruption in the opposing offense. Most people can’t see this as a positive bc they focus on the stat sheet. Forcing a RB outside where there is containment or preventing a QB from stepping up in the pocket so he has to throw the ball away are all huge wins for a defense. It isn’t exciting but it is the dirty work that makes a defense great. 

Archived