Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Ranks Colts All-Pro DT DeForest Buckner as the NFL’s 4th Best Inside Defensive Lineman

Luck2Hilton4TD

Sure we paid and will pay for his services.  Average $21 million per year.  He is one of the top 5 at his position and we have him locked up for the next 5 years.   Nothing at all seems wrong with this trade and signing.  

22 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Dang! Was hoping we could get him! haha

Talk about a dominant DL if we had both Buckner and Jones!

Hoping Ballard gets another impact player early in the draft at either DT or DE to pair with Buckner. Then we should have a DL very similar to San Fran. 

7 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Between Nick Bosa and Buckner who would you say is more dominant?

Tough choice since Bosa is only 1 year in.    Different positions as well.  Bosa had 1.5 more sacks but Buckner had 15 more tackles.   The Colts needed a tackle more than an end, so I am happy with Buckner.  

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

That is a great question.  I can’t answer who is more dominant bc they both are excellent.   Really depends on the defense they are used in.  Now, I can say if I had to choose between the two it would be Buckner. Mostly bc it’s harder to find great interior lineman.  Buckner can make a DE’s job easier but not as likely the other way around. 

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

You’re comparing apples and oranges.

Bosa is a right pass rushing DE.   Buckner is a 3-tech.

Bosa is the more dominant, almost by definition.   He’s one if the top right DE’s in the game.   Buckner has far more traffic to deal with to get to the QB.

But without taking anything away from Buckner, I think the answer to your question is Bosa. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That is a great question.  I can’t answer who is more dominant bc they both are excellent.   Really depends on the defense they are used in.  Now, I can say if I had to choose between the two it would be Buckner. Mostly bc it’s harder to find great interior lineman.  Buckner can make a DE’s job easier but not as likely the other way around. 

I agree with that unless we are taking them at the current situations.   Bosa is on year 2 of a 4 year $33 million contract and Buckner is on a 4 year $84 million contract.   Bosa will need extended to a huge deal in a year or 2.  So Bosa is cheaper now but will be more later.

3 hours ago, runthepost said:

Pure athletic ability and ability to change directions with very little loss of speed, Bosa. 

I felt it was a mutual thing - double teaming Buckner led to more 1-on-1s for Bosa, and vice versa at times too. Stunting in their D also resulted in more 1-on-1s because OL focus more on the gaps that need to be covered than the player when stunts happen. Of course, you need athletic folks like Buckner, Armstead and Bosa who made those stunts very successful because you are not taking the shortest path when they happen, slow guys make stunts look laborious. But most of the time, they fed off each other, and QBs had to go back as much as 10 plus yards to have a long completion against them.

In that famous 3rd & 15 in the SB, Mahomes went 13 yards behind the LOS to complete a 44 yard pass to Tyreek Hill and even then Buckner with his long arms almost got to him on that looping stunt.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:16 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

Donald and Jones are game changing, great ,difference making players.

Buckner is a "pretty good player"

We overpaid.

LOL.

Buckner >>> Jones by far. If it was not for the former's play, Arik Armstead would be out of the league by now.

Through 4 seasons...Jones - 136 tackles, 33 sacks

In the same 4 seasons..Buckner - 263 tackles. 28.5 sacks

Buckner is going to help Grover Stewart as much as anyone, last year in year 3 we saw Stewart improve immensely and finally get used to the NFL speed coming from D2 at Albany State this year also being his contract year I expect  another significant leap and think many are overlooking him a bit with Sheldon Day being signed (I think Day takes over next season if Stewart's contract situation gets too high after a big year so smart insurance policy longer term). 

15 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Buckner is going to help Grover Stewart as much as anyone, last year in year 3 we saw Stewart improve immensely and finally get used to the NFL speed coming from D2 at Albany State this year also being his contract year I expect  another significant leap and think many are overlooking him a bit with Sheldon Day being signed (I think Day takes over next season if Stewart's contract situation gets too high after a big year so smart insurance policy longer term). 

Justin Houston should have a big season due to Buckner being here.

Archived