Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unexpected selections you could see Ballard making in the draft

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about Ballard, it’s to expect the unexpected with him, especially during the draft. Don’t know if anyone saw him trading out of the 1st and selecting a press-man corner last year. I feel like this year is no different. While we all have our obvious picks we think he’ll make I feel as if he’ll do something else that people won’t see coming.

i could see him making the following picks that would catch a lot of fans off guard

-Jeremy Chinn, SS in the 3rd: While safety isn’t a huge need because they’ve talked about how much they liked Willis in the draft, this guy just screams Ballard pick. He’s got long arms, he’s super athletic, can play multiple positions, and he’s from Fishers, Indiana originally. Good character, etc... we have more important needs but I could see Ballard drafting him.

-Jake Luton, QB Oregon State: The projections on QBs the Colts might draft have been all over the place by the media and fans. One minute it was Herbert or Love, and now Eason and Hurts are popular picks. And of course this board has its Gordon lovers. I could see Ballard drafting a CB that no one has really heard of. Lutton is 6,6”, high character, and takes care of the football. The board would likely loose its mind when the Colts don’t take any of the popular picks at QB.

Benjamin Victor, WR Ohio State round 4- Boy would the board be in an uproar if Ballard doesn’t take a WR in the first 3 rounds. His love for Ohio State players is well documented, and we know he’s always wanted a big outside receiver. After he passed over A.J. Brown last year I wouldn’t be shocked (although I wouldn’t be happy) to see him pass over Pittman, Mims, Claypool, etc... and take an Ohio State guy.

Here's my thoughts... I don't know how much you can consider some of those surprising/unexpected, but I will include here positions/players that I don't see many mock drafts containing:

1. IMO CB is a real option in R2 and thus the players that make sense here are the ones with long arms - Trevon Diggs, Bryce Hall, Jeff Gladney

2. The low key day 2 toolsy/explosive/athletic EDGE. Ballard has taken 4 in his 3 drafts(Basham, Turay, Lewis, Banogu). He's taken at least one EDGE player every single year on day 2. Players that I think fit the criteria here are: Terrell Lewis(2), Yetur Gross-Matos(2), Julian Okwara(2), Josh Uche(2-3), Jabari Zuniga(3), Alex Highsmith(3)... 

3. Flyer on James Morgan from FIU on day 3. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's my thoughts... I don't know how much you can consider some of those surprising/unexpected, but I will include here positions/players that I don't see many mock drafts containing:

1. IMO CB is a real option in R2 and thus the players that make sense here are the ones with long arms - Trevon Diggs, Bryce Hall, Jeff Gladney

2. The low key day 2 toolsy/explosive/athletic EDGE. Ballard has taken 4 in his 3 drafts(Basham, Turay, Lewis, Banogu). He's taken at least one EDGE player every single year on day 2. Players that I think fit the criteria here are: Terrell Lewis(2), Yetur Gross-Matos(2), Julian Okwara(2), Josh Uche(2-3), Jabari Zuniga(3), Alex Highsmith(3)... 

Trevon Diggs is built and plays EXACTLY like a Colts prototype CB

If he is there... I hope they pull the card

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I predicted an o lineman and edge rusher with the first 2 picks before the Buckner trade so I will stay with that. 

Were you the one who has Ezra Cleveland in the 2nd round? That’s one of those picks that would have people scratching their heads

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I was thinking about that too. 2017 Basham, 2018 Turray, 2019, Banogu. I thought about the kid from Tennessee. Darell Taylor is his name.

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Trevon Diggs is built and plays EXACTLY like a Colts prototype CB

If he is there... I hope they pull the card

Yep, the more I've watched of him the more I like him and feel like he's a R1 type of corner that might drop and if he does, I'd love for us to have him. For example, I like him much better than I did Rock last year. 

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Were you the one who has Ezra Cleveland in the 2nd round? That’s one of those picks that would have people scratching their heads

I was thinking about that too. 2017 Basham, 2018 Turray, 2019, Banogu. I thought about the kid from Tennessee. Darell Taylor is his name.

I haven't watched Taylor. How does he play? Is he athletic/toolsy type or technician? 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I haven't watched Taylor. How does he play? Is he athletic/toolsy type or technician?

Haven’t watched him yet either. I just know his name was connected to the Colts recently. His athletic testing was in the elite range at the Combine so he seems to be more athletic. I’ll get to some tape soon probably.

Lawrence Cager, WR, Georgia. 

5th, 6th round.

He's not fast, but he's big and has great hands. He was Fromm's number one receiver. In fact, Fromm's "bad streak" of games completing under 50%of has passes started when Cager got hurt.

I think he's a really good and underrated receiver.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I like where your minds at. I have specifically been looking at the edge prospects available that can fill the LEO role that Banogu was originally drafted to play. They didn’t have that plan for him for no reason so it is suffice to say we would like that role available to our DC.

Great post bro!

I don't know if a specific player that would surprise anyone, but as I've said in another thread I think other than maybe a QB, we're probably going to see BPA at 34 and that includes any postion. OG, CB, S, doesn't matter. We need a WR and TE, but for the value of the 34th pick, I think anything goes. There will probably be a 1st round talent who slides to us.

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Using next years #1 to get into the first rd. 

Including bidding as high as pick 19. 

IMO this won't happen unless it's for a QB. What position/players do you think we would trade future 1st round pick for? I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think we should be trading 34 for future 1st if we don't like any of the QBs this year. 

I don’t currently have this as a prediction, but I could see Ballard taking Jeremy Chinn in the 2nd.  If he’s already decided that Hooker’s injury past will preclude him from being reupped after his rookie contract, why not take a 6’3 safety who runs a 4.45 and flashed at the SB?  All the hallmarks of someone Ballard would like...

36 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I can see the draft shaking out where the Colts draft neither a WR nor a QB.

Definitely agree about QB but not WR. I feel like there’s more of a chance that he’d draft a receiver, but just not the ones people are mocking or as high. Like I wouldn’t be shocked to see Bryan Edwards in the 3rd round, Gandy Golden in the 4th, or even Van Jefferson.

That would be one of those head scratching Ballard things that would make you have to just trust in the process. Like when we drafted Malik Hooker at 18. No one saw that coming. Still a good pick at the time though.

One of the benefits of a large group of excellent WRs is that you can get a good starter in round 3. In other years.....  these WRs would be drafted in round 1 or 2

It wouldn’t surprise me if Pittman and or Claypool (or 2-3 other Excellent WRs) will still be on the board when we pick in round 3

If Mims is on the board, I’d take him at 34......   If not..... I’d wait and lean more on BPA for  the 2 picks in in second round

This OT class is said to be really good, 

Austin Jackson, Ezra Cleveland may still be on the board at 34 / 44

Why OL so early?

Starting OTs especially LTs are very hard to draft.

We also have ZERO quality depth at OT. Zilch, NADA.....

We dodged a bullet by overall health last year..... it would be foolish to think that would happen again.

I believe either of these guys COULD be our starting LT for the next 12 years

We will have to spend draft capitol .....  why not now, when the value may be great?

As said earlier, there are other positions that they may look at at 34...

With 2 FAs at CB coming on board, why consider a CB at 34?

We end up with 5 DBs on the field (Nickle ) a large amount of the time

Trevon Diggs would fit our scheme like no other CB in this draft. 6 foot 1 inch, 205 lb press corners with long arms, that can tackle seems to be a great fit

If we get a starter in round 3 at WR, and possibly a starter at TE in round 4 and a future starter at OT and CB.....

Four years from now, when all 4 are main starters for us, we will be happy that we we went this way.....

It’s about building the long term team, not just filling immediate holes

But, with my ability to pick Colts draft, we will probably get 5 OGs with our first 5 picks. :)

15 hours ago, Gigc said:

Lawrence Cager, WR, Georgia. 

5th, 6th round.

He's not fast, but he's big and has great hands. He was Fromm's number one receiver. In fact, Fromm's "bad streak" of games completing under 50%of has passes started when Cager got hurt.

I think he's a really good and underrated receiver.

Didn’t know this guy.  Sounds like a good Round 6 shot...  Nice find!

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Definitely agree about QB but not WR. I feel like there’s more of a chance that he’d draft a receiver, but just not the ones people are mocking or as high. Like I wouldn’t be shocked to see Bryan Edwards in the 3rd round, Gandy Golden in the 4th, or even Van Jefferson.

That would be one of those head scratching Ballard things that would make you have to just trust in the process. Like when we drafted Malik Hooker at 18. No one saw that coming. Still a good pick at the time though.

I agree, I think the WR class is good enough that a WR will be the BPA in the 2nd or 3rd round.  But since the thread was about unexpected moves, that is one that I think has a real possibility of happening and it would be very unexpected on this message board.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

IMO this won't happen unless it's for a QB. What position/players do you think we would trade future 1st round pick for? I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think we should be trading 34 for future 1st if we don't like any of the QBs this year. 

I'm on the exact opposite end of you.
 We are in a win know mode so you load up with next years pick to add a high quality talent that can be trained up to help us to the mountain top this year AND next.
 And 34 makes more sense in a trade back scenario to add 2 players they like rather than 1.
 The obvious choice would be for a LT prospect they covet. He would be moved into the starting lineup on the right side as soon as he is ready.
 We can add a great WR prospect at 44 if they choose to wait till then.

12 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm on the exact opposite end of you.
 We are in a win know mode so you load up with next years pick to add a high quality talent that can be trained up to help us to the mountain top this year AND next.
 And 34 makes more sense in a trade back scenario to add 2 players they like rather than 1.
 The obvious choice would be for a LT prospect they covet. He would be moved into the starting lineup on the right side as soon as he is ready.
 We can add a great WR prospect at 44 if they choose to wait till then.

This makes even less sense to me. Offensive linemen are usually not great year 1, ESPECIALLY if you want to change not only his position, but also the side he plays. This to me is one of the least "win now" moves we can make. 

In general I don't think trading up using a future 1st round pick when we still don't have our QB of the future is going to happen. To me this sounds as an obvious self-destructing move for the franchise. So if we do move up(using future 1st), it will be for the future franchise QB. At least that's my thought process here... :dunno:

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Benjamin Victor, WR Ohio State round 4- Boy would the board be in an uproar if Ballard doesn’t take a WR in the first 3 rounds. His love for Ohio State players is well documented, and we know he’s always wanted a big outside receiver. After he passed over A.J. Brown last year I wouldn’t be shocked (although I wouldn’t be happy) to see him pass over Pittman, Mims, Claypool, etc... and take an Ohio State guy.

In my mocks I keep landing on Victor in the late rounds as well as Lamar Jackson, CB from Nebraska.

13 hours ago, M0NEYdontLIE said:

I like where your minds at. I have specifically been looking at the edge prospects available that can fill the LEO role that Banogu was originally drafted to play. They didn’t have that plan for him for no reason so it is suffice to say we would like that role available to our DC.

Great post bro!

If they just spent a 2 on Banogu for that position, what's the likelihood be hits it again so early? Not that I think you ever have too many edge guys with potential..... Just the position is more stocked with potential to develop than other need areas....like OL

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

This makes even less sense to me. Offensive linemen are usually not great year 1, ESPECIALLY if you want to change not only his position, but also the side he plays. This to me is one of the least "win now" moves we can make. 

In general I don't think trading up using a future 1st round pick when we still don't have our QB of the future is going to happen. To me this sounds as an obvious self-destructing move for the franchise. So if we do move up(using future 1st), it will be for the future franchise QB. At least that's my thought process here... :dunno:

That is why i mentioned pick 19. If a QB they LOVE is there maybe CB does win the bid for the pick.
  Today i do not believe Love will be there, but still possible.
  And bolderdash to worrying if a highly talented LT prospect can't play on the right side.
  That is giving the player and the coaches no credit. They have RG Smith there!
    You know Rivers was brought here to win Now, so using up significant draft capital for his replacement rather than a win now position player is always a questionable move. Just doesn't fit our situation or the CB MO. Of course KC did it with Mahomes and that worked out OK.
 The tension and excitement is building.... haha!

Another thing that Ballard does relatively regularly is - he identifies weak spots and then doubles and triples on them in the off-season in an attempt to fix them(OL, LB...). He seems to be a fan of the philosophy of the more shots at a target, the higher the chance you hit. When leaving his press-conference he said to the gathered journalists "you all ask me about the WRs, and I'm much more focused on the trenches" so... After the trade for Buckner the mock drafts giving us a DT high in the draft have been few and far between... so... here's another unexpected/surprising one from me - we get a DT on day 2... one of the Ross Blacklock, Justin Madubuike, Jordan Elliot, Neville Gallimore, Marlon Davidson group of R2 DTs. 

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

Another thing that Ballard does relatively regularly is - he identifies weak spots and then doubles and triples on them in the off-season in an attempt to fix them(OL, LB...). He seems to be a fan of the philosophy of the more shots at a target, the higher the chance you hit. When leaving his press-conference he said to the gathered journalists "you all ask me about the WRs, and I'm much more focused on the trenches" so... After the trade for Buckner the mock drafts giving us a DT high in the draft have been few and far between... so... here's another unexpected/surprising one from me - we get a DT on day 2... one of the Ross Blacklock, Justin Madubuike, Jordan Elliot, Neville Gallimore, Marlon Davidson group of R2 DTs. 

Nice.  A forgotten need.  A youngster might be in order since Lewis seems to be flaming out...

Daniel Jeremiah has FOUR RB's in his TOP 40.  So it's conceivable a couple of them could be BPA when we pick in the second round.  If we are looking for an unexpected selection I think RB fits the definition.  And it makes sense.  We are a running team first.  RB's contribute right away.  It should make our RBC even stronger.  Maybe even making it elite.  I can really see Ballard surprising everyone and drafting one second round. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

That’s a good observation. I don’t know how I’d feel about though. I really like Jordan Phillips and Blacklock before the Buckner trade. We also signed Sheldon Day and still have Grover and Autry. I’m not including Lewis because I don’t expect him to make the final 53 tbh.

I do realize that Buckner can’t be on the field every snap, so you need a good rotational 3-Tech to relieve him or so you can line him up at DE. 

Man you’ve got me thinking now lol.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Daniel Jeremiah has FOUR RB's in his TOP 40.  So it's conceivable a couple of them could be BPA when we pick in the second round.  If we are looking for an unexpected selection I think RB fits the definition.  And it makes sense.  We are a running team first.  RB's contribute right away.  It should make our RBC even stronger.  Maybe even making it elite.  I can really see Ballard surprising everyone and drafting one second round. 

This is what I was thinking. If you’re going to prioritize the lines at the expense of skill positions, you have to have better depth at RB. Mack is a free agent in 2021 and hasn’t shown the ability to stay healthy for a full season. Hines is a good receiving back and should flourish with Rivers at QB, but Jordan Wilkins isn’t anything special and Johnathan Williams might not be resigned.

JK Dobbins is a guy that ticks all the Ballard boxes. Big, productive, team captain, unique athlete (top SPARQ in the country among all players at Nike events as a high school senior). I could see the Colts grabbing him in round two.

24 minutes ago, BSteph1 said:

This is what I was thinking. If you’re going to prioritize the lines at the expense of skill positions, you have to have better depth at RB. Mack is a free agent in 2021 and hasn’t shown the ability to stay healthy for a full season. Hines is a good receiving back and should flourish with Rivers at QB, but Jordan Wilkins isn’t anything special and Johnathan Williams might not be resigned.

JK Dobbins is a guy that ticks all the Ballard boxes. Big, productive, team captain, unique athlete (top SPARQ in the country among all players at Nike events as a high school senior). I could see the Colts grabbing him in round two.

I like Dobbins too and if he or any RB we might take turns out to be very productive Ballard might just let Mack hit FA and we get the comp pick instead of paying a him a second contract and thereby saving our cap space for the bigger guys we need to lock up long term.  

5 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

If they just spent a 2 on Banogu for that position, what's the likelihood be hits it again so early? Not that I think you ever have too many edge guys with potential..... Just the position is more stocked with potential to develop than other need areas....like OL

That’s exactly why I think we’ll look at this position again early. Banogu was drafted to fulfill the edge/linebacker role originally par Ballard but was deemed a DE only after camps started. 

I believe a LEO is still a position they would like to address since we spent a 2nd on it last year and didn’t get what we were looking for per se.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Nice.  A forgotten need.  A youngster might be in order since Lewis seems to be flaming out...

Lewis was drafted as a DE that could move inside in passing situations. He hasn't seemed to change his body any to be one or the other. They surely have a label for his potential by now. To me he was always a DE and i think he could be a very solid one. But!
 Anyway, i would love to add a 300lb inside disrupter with run stopping ability with a higher ceiling than Grover. Work the magic CB.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lewis was drafted as a DE that could move inside in passing situations. He hasn't seemed to change his body any to be one or the other. They surely have a label for his potential by now. To me he was always a DE and i think he could be a very solid one. But!
 Anyway, i would love to add a 300lb inside disrupter with run stopping ability with a higher ceiling than Grover. Work the magic CB.

I felt from the beginning that Lewis was drafted to fill the exact same DT/Undertackle role that Autry fills.  He was forced into the DE rotation due to need, but I never felt he was a DE in our system.  Nice to have the versatility, though..,

14 hours ago, Archer said:

I felt from the beginning that Lewis was drafted to fill the exact same DT/Undertackle role that Autry fills.  He was forced into the DE rotation due to need, but I never felt he was a DE in our system.  Nice to have the versatility, though..,

If memory serves me you are correct. After Lewis was drafted they said he was going to be groomed to be a 3tech. Injuries forced him to play at DE. I was never really for nor against the pick when made but it’s starting to look like it didn’t work out as planned.

Archived