Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unexpected selections you could see Ballard making in the draft

I absolutely see a RB being drafted by the Colts. Just not until Rounds 4-5. The WR and TE situation is in serious need of attention, far more than RB, and there will be players at both positions ranked in the vicinity of the RBs that have been mentioned. Given that option, you have to believe that a WR or TE who might be just below a RB on the talent chart would get the nod. Same for an OT. 

15 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I absolutely see a RB being drafted by the Colts. Just not until Rounds 4-5. The WR and TE situation is in serious need of attention, far more than RB, and there will be players at both positions ranked in the vicinity of the RBs that have been mentioned. Given that option, you have to believe that a WR or TE who might be just below a RB on the talent chart would get the nod. Same for an OT. 

There are four RB's rated in the top 40.  There are numerous WRs that are good in this draft. No need to take one too early.  If you draft by BPA there is a good chance a RB will rate that high at 34 or 44.  The good OTs will be picked over by 34 as well as the best TE.  We could draft one of the top RBs.  As we know RBs can contribute right away.  Could still take a TE in the 2nd and go WR in the 3rd.  It will be interesting for sure. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

There are four RB's rated in the top 40.  There are numerous WRs that are good in this draft. No need to take one too early.  If you draft by BPA there is a good chance a RB will rate that high at 34 or 44.  The good OTs will be picked over by 34 as well as the best TE.  We could draft one of the top RBs.  As we know RBs can contribute right away.  Could still take a TE in the 2nd and go WR in the 3rd.  It will be interesting for sure. 

Anything is certainly possible. If you rate Kmet as the top TE, I do believe he'll be there at 34. Maybe even 44. TE is thin in the draft and a genuine need for the Colts. Look for an early move there. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Anything is certainly possible. If you rate Kmet as the top TE, I do believe he'll be there at 34. Maybe even 44. TE is thin in the draft and a genuine need for the Colts. Look for an early move there. 

Personally I don't think the TEs are that thin in this draft.

Besides Kmet there is Trautman, Hopkins, Hunter Bryant, Harrison Bryant, and Okwuegbunam.  There are a few more that can make NFL rosters after those are picked too. 

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

Jeremiah has Kmet as his highest rated TE and he comes in at number 41 overall.  He might be there at 34 and 44.  If Ballard goes BPA there are RB's ahead of him and they should contribute right away.  This years RB class is very good.  I have always liked BPA so we shall see. 

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Jeremiah has Kmet as his highest rated TE and he comes in at number 41 overall.  He might be there at 34 and 44.  If Ballard goes BPA there are RB's ahead of him and they should contribute right away.  This years RB class is very good.  I have always liked BPA so we shall see. 

I think he’d take a defensive position that isn’t a “need” before he takes a RB. Say you can get Kmet at 44. I think at 34 he’d take a Jeremy Chinn over let’s say Johnathan Taylor. 

Im basing most of that over the fact that we’ve never seen Ballard take a RB in the first 3 rounds. The highest I think a RB was drafted when he was with KC or Chicago might have been Hunt in the 3rd.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he’d take a defensive position that isn’t a “need” before he takes a RB. Say you can get Kmet at 44. I think at 34 he’d take a Jeremy Chinn over let’s say Johnathan Taylor. 

Im basing most of that over the fact that we’ve never seen Ballard take a RB in the first 3 rounds. The highest I think a RB was drafted when he was with KC or Chicago might have been Hunt in the 3rd.

I guess there is a first time for everything.  FWIW Charles Davis of NFL Network said he only sees 27 players in this years draft worthy of a 1st. round grade.  Running backs Taylor along with Swift were in the 27.  Chinn was not.  I would be surprised if Ballard passed on a player like Taylor to get Chinn.  I think if Ballard has a chance to draft a 1st round rated player at 34 he would do it.  I think he believes in the BPA concept.  So maybe we will get a chance to find out.  

23 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I guess there is a first time for everything.  FWIW Charles Davis of NFL Network said he only sees 27 players in this years draft worthy of a 1st. round grade.  Running backs Taylor along with Swift were in the 27.  Chinn was not.  I would be surprised if Ballard passed on a player like Taylor to get Chinn.  I think if Ballard has a chance to draft a 1st round rated player at 34 he would do it.  I think he believes in the BPA concept.  So maybe we will get a chance to find out.  

We’ll definitely have to see. So far Ballard has drafted more defense in the early rounds, so if I had to chose between Ballard picking a RB or DB, I’d go with the latter. People may have Taylor high but who knows if Ballard will. The only RB he’s stated he was high on was Barkley, and Taylor isn’t Barkley.

If he took Leonard with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think he’d do the same with Chinn or even another defensive player.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

We’ll definitely have to see. So far Ballard has drafted more defense in the early rounds, so if I had to chose between Ballard picking a RB or DB, I’d go with the latter. People may have Taylor high but who knows if Ballard will. The only RB he’s stated he was high on was Barkley, and Taylor isn’t Barkley.

If he took Leonard with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think he’d do the same with Chinn or even another defensive player.

Except Ballard went defense in the 19 draft, and has gone defense with the 20 free agency.

Most of the problems Ballard wants to address in this draft are on offense.  And the strength of this draft is on offense.   Could Ballard spend his first pick on defense?   Sure.   But it’s not likely.   It’s more unlikely.  

I’d say if we go defense with our first pick on the second round, that player is way higher on Ballard’s board than anyone else.   Not a little bit higher, but dramatically higher.  

Last thought, we are now inside two weeks to go until the draft.   Can’t get here soon enough. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's one I can see happening - Colts trade day 3 pick for Alshon Jeffery. 

Jeffrey is 30 now. It would have to be like a 6th rounder I think. His age and the receiver depth in this class is going to push his value down.

26 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jeffrey is 30 now. It would have to be like a 6th rounder I think. His age and the receiver depth in this class is going to push his value down.

yeah, that's what I was thinking about.... 5th-6th rounder or thereabout. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's one I can see happening - Colts trade day 3 pick for Alshon Jeffery. 

I can see this.  Hopefully before the draft takes place.  We need another veteran WR.  Jeffrey or someone else.  Texans were smart in getting Cooks.  We need to make a move too.  

I could actually see him take a RB in the 2nd, someone to pair with Mack and form a dynamic duo of sorts.  I think they will try to minimize hits on the statuesque Rivers and go more quick rhythm passing with an emphasis on the running game, thus the acquisition of FB Nix.  So taking a dynamic RB might be in play early on.  I would say if a guy like Taylor or Swift, or maybe even Dobbins or Edwards-Helaire are available at 34 or 44, it would not surprise me in the least to see Ballard make that move.

One guy that may go undrafted that I like is Marcelino Ball from IU.  Dude has size and was always around the ball.  He takes some risks and gets burned some and that IMHO is the major reason why he might not get drafted, but I would take a flyer on him if he's undrafted and see if the same coaches that made Xavier Rhodes into an All-Pro can improve Ball and use his knack for being around the ball.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, coltsfan40 said:

CB takes who he likes not bpa cause no way Banogu was best player available last yr in 2nd. I can see Digger or Chinn. If Kmet is their 34 I can see taking him and Pittman #44 I can see that too. Also DT they like. 

My thoughts exactly. That’s why his picks are always kind or surprising (Lewis, Ya-Sin, etc...).

I agree with Chinn being his type of player. Long, athletic, and a high character.

With those early picks, I expect Ballard to take the best player available, regardless of position. 

Depending on what the yearly cap looks like for the O-line, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Center drafted as high as the 2nd round to replace Ryan Kelly in 2021.  If there's one thing  everyone learned from the Luck era, it's "protect your QB."

32 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

With those early picks, I expect Ballard to take the best player available, regardless of position. 

Depending on what the yearly cap looks like for the O-line, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Center drafted as high as the 2nd round to replace Ryan Kelly in 2021.  If there's one thing  everyone learned from the Luck era, it's "protect your QB."

I think a LT would be needed before a C. 

Just saying.....

3 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

I think this Reich/CB culture is really getting to me, because the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding J.K Dobbins. Run it down their throats! I personally think Mack is just average behind a great OL.

I don’t think Mack is average as well. His inability to catch the ball out the backfield is what really holds him back IMO. He’s Austin Ekeler without the receiving ability.

in no particular order (at pick #75 or later) these seem like possible "Ballard guys":

WR (X): Donovan Peoples-Jones

WR (slot): Darnell Mooney

TE: Charlie Taumoepeau

RB: Antonio Gibson or Levante Bellamy

OL: Matt Hennessy

DE: D. J. Wonnum

DT: Davon Hamilton

LB: Jordyn Brooks

CB: A. J. Green

CB (slot) : Amik Robertson or Darnay Holmes

S: Geno  Stone

and at QB: Riley Neal (free agent signing)

4 hours ago, CelticColt said:

WR (X): Donovan Peoples-Jones

So I thought about him a lot early on in the off-season. What I ultimately realized was that you’d basically be drafting Daurice Fountain again. An elite athletic tester who is raw as a receiver. DPJ might be an even crazier athlete but I’m not sure he’s any better as a receiver.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

So I thought about him a lot early on in the off-season. What I ultimately realized was that you’d basically be drafting Daurice Fountain again. An elite athletic tester who is raw as a receiver. DPJ might be an even crazier athlete but I’m not sure he’s any better as a receiver.

IMO he underachieved at UM but then again that was at UM.....with Harbaugh's offense

I'm not a big fan of DPJ, I just think he might slide to #75.....if not beyond. At which point I think I might prefer taking a chance on Bryan Edwards instead.

19 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

IMO he underachieved at UM but then again that was at UM.....with Harbaugh's offense

I'm not a big fan of DPJ, I just think he might slide to #75.....if not beyond. At which point I think I might prefer taking a chance on Bryan Edwards instead.

I like Edwards. He’s a complete receiver. He runs routes, provides YAC, can make contested catches, and blocks. Looked fast enough on tape too. And one thing that was noted is that he played in the SEC and had consistent production for 4 years. I’d take him over DPJ even with questionable medical.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like Edwards. He’s a complete receiver. He runs routes, provides YAC, can make contested catches, and blocks. Looked fast enough on tape too. And one thing that was noted is that he played in the SEC and had consistent production for 4 years. I’d take him over DPJ even with questionable medical.

IIRC  he's a tad bigger than DPJ as  well

I also wouldn't mind Pittman at #44--that may be a bit "too high" for his overall ranking, but I don't think he'll last until #75--and IMO he could possibly start from Day 1 alongside Pascal and Hilton. He may be the most pro-ready WR in the draft and has hands like velcro. Plus he's big enough to break press-man coverage at the LOS.

And even after the Buckner trade, I wouldn't  be all that upset with a scenario where Ballard took someone like Mims at #34 and another 3T like Jordan Elliott at #44--that guy has a pretty high ceiling.

Maybe a DE like Okwara or Robinson could fall to #75--I like Darrell Taylor, like others, but I fear he'll go somewhere between #44 and #75, like Pittman. Wonnum sounds promising but, frankly, a bit too thin/light (at least for now).

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting nugget from Rapoport: 

There might be quite a lot of surprises this year...

I don't doubt this for one second.

There's plenty of guys who are not a lock to fall where our mocks, and the critisizm they attract, are popular. And with that, there'll be guys we thought would be first rounders who drop to late 2, or more, and we'll think they're steals, when in reality, maybe not so much.

I think it's going to happen more this year than in past years.

Edit: The steal of this draft may be Buckner.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting nugget from Rapoport: 

There might be quite a lot of surprises this year...

Yeah we’re already hearing a bunch about Tua falling and even back before corona hit, Matt Miller had reported that there were a bunch of guys the media were way higher on than scouts. For one I think these WRs are going to go high. If you take away the injury concerns all of these 2nd tier receivers (Mims, Pittman, Jefferson, Jefferson, Edwards) are all 1st round talents.

And it looks like the RBs might go low. Jonathan Taylor might not even go in the 1st round.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah we’re already hearing a bunch about Tua falling and even back before corona hit, Matt Miller had reported that there were a bunch of guys the media were way higher on than scouts. For one I think these WRs are going to go high. If you take away the injury concerns all of these 2nd tier receivers (Mims, Pittman, Jefferson, Jefferson, Edwards) are all 1st round talents.

And it looks like the RBs might go low. Jonathan Taylor might not even go in the 1st round.

The only RB I have seen going in the 1st is Swift for the most part.  Taylor once in awhile.  From what I read they expect the RB run to start in the 2nd.  

Archived