Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

News On Tamme And Wheeler

Andy

I've spoken with Mike Chappel via Twitter.

I asked him if there was any new news on Tamme + Wheeler

and he said

icon_chappell2_normal.jpgMike Chappell @mchappell51

@andrewaziz they've talked. Still might return

11:16 PM - 18 Mar 12 via Twitter for iPhone · Details

This wasn't a good sign, if he says might return, it means that odds are both are leaving. I heard Tamme was most likely staying, but this threw me off-guard. What are your thoughts on this?

we can always draft luck's TE

But it would involve using a 2nd round pick, which could be too high of a pick to use on a TE. I like the CB and NT to be the picks in Round 2 and 3. Either way, we could discuss this in the Draft part of the forum, let's keep this to Tamme + Wheeler.

olsen charles is listed ahead of him plus the TE class is very weak this year, but as andy said lets keep this about tamme and wheeler

Charles had a horrible combine and got arrested for DUI days after the combine. Tamme I think they keep. Wheeler is gone. The Colts have Mathis to move to OLB, maybe Freeney too, and I see no place for Wheeler any more. SP, depth, but not nearly the role he played last year. And for his price, SP isn't going to cut it, nor would Wheeler likely want to do that.

I agree that Tamme should be re-signed! We still have room for the "right" new Colts...we just don't need to get rid of those who can still help us out! You know, just because they are "new" and have good stats, doesn't really mean they can't contribute on a high level with everyone on the team.

I agree that Tamme should be re-signed! We still have room for the "right" new Colts...we just don't need to get rid of those who can still help us out! You know, just because they are "new" and have good stats, doesn't really mean they can't contribute on a high level with everyone on the team.

OK, I will play along.

So, what kind of contract do you think will be good to offer Tamme?

Here is his old contract:

4 years; $2.155MM contract; with $0.45MM signing bonus; and salaries of 0.295; 0.385; 0.470; 0.555.

Keep in mind he is now a 5th year vet, and the vet minimum for a 5th year vet is a base salary of 0.700MM

and we have approximately $6.62 in cap room left (after budgeting for rookies)

I don't get the not taking a TE in the 2nd round, if there is a good one available. With a weak looking receiving corp and a new QB, it could be just what we need.

Wonder if Grigson is a BPA drafter?

He'd better be a BPA drafter to a certain extent. While I agree that a stud TE is vital, I keep seeing that none of those out there are worth our 2nd round pick. Should they still draft one over the perfect NT or CB - or even WR - if he is sitting there? They need to hit on that pick. If he can evaluate talent so well, you would think that he could find a suitable tight end later in the draft.

It would be foolish not to re-sign Tamme. He has proven to be Dallas Clark light, and he would not mandate a huge contract. I see virtually no chance Fleener makes it past the Giants in the first round, and even if he does we have significant needs at 3-4 NT and DB. I would rather use our high second rounder on one of those positions.

I think Wheeler walks though.

I've always felt that a young QB needs a reliable veteran TE work with. I would be very surprised if Tamme is not resigned.

As for picking up a TE in the draft. I have no problem with that - although I don't really want to use our 2nd for one - but he will still be a rookie making rookie mistakes. Tamme would be a great safety blanket for Luck.

I wonder how much Tamme is actually wanting. I can understand Grigson's hesitation in wanting to invest to much into Tamme considering the worries of him just being a product of Manning. I know I would not be investing to much into the guy. He could be a solid starter for a bit, but he definately is not the long term answer.

I definately would not complain if Cody falls to us at the top of the second.

I would like to see Wheeler kept for some depth, but again it probably is all coming down to money.

Both guys are good for depth, but they are not the long term answer so you do not want to invest to much for to long.

But it would involve using a 2nd round pick, which could be too high of a pick to use on a TE. I like the CB and NT to be the picks in Round 2 and 3. Either way, we could discuss this in the Draft part of the forum, let's keep this to Tamme + Wheeler.

Rob Gronkowski was a 2nd round pick, Fred Davis was a 2nd round pick, Kellen Winslow was picked 6th overall, Vernon Davis was the 7th OVERALL pick.

Doesn't matter about their position, if they're good enough and it fills a need, draft them. Teams could see him as a first rounder but because he's a tight end you wouldn't pick him at #34?

heck, Janikowski was a 17th overall pick for God's sake.

Rob Gronkowski was a 2nd round pick, Fred Davis was a 2nd round pick, Kellen Winslow was picked 6th overall, Vernon Davis was the 7th OVERALL pick.

Doesn't matter about their position, if they're good enough and it fills a need, draft them. Teams could see him as a first rounder but because he's a tight end you wouldn't pick him at #34?

heck, Janikowski was a 17th overall pick for God's sake.

I must say I agree. It doesn't matter where TE's are "supposed" to fall, or where the rank amateur WalterSports/cbs boards have a player. If the guy is good enough, AND provides a need, you take him.

I wonder how much Tamme is actually wanting.
I can understand Grigson's hesitation in wanting to invest to much into Tamme considering the worries of him just being a product of Manning

. I know I would not be investing to much into the guy. He could be a solid starter for a bit, but he definately is not the long term answer. I definately would not complain if Cody falls to us at the top of the second. I would like to see Wheeler kept for some depth, but again it probably is all coming down to money. Both guys are good for depth, but they are not the long term answer so you do not want to invest to much for to long.

The thing is, Tamme was very productive in College, productive in his time starting here and very good on special teams. I think he has shown that he is a valuable player not just a product of Mannng.

As far as being a product of Manning is concerned, there is an upside to that as well. From working with Peyton we know he developed discipline in route running and timing. That is certainly something I like to know my TE has when I have a rookie QB at the helm.

Wheeler is nothing more than a special teams player and can be replaced, Tamme on the other hand showed he can play and would be a big loss. Tamme takes priority. I cant see Tamme asking for a huge contract. Hopefully hes resigned

yea, he needs a big contract but he deserves a pretty good one. i be interested to see what value Manning thinks he has,,,,he knows how good or bad he is.

The word "might" is used here, and is causing lots of reaction. The thing is, they're both FA, so the might is a given at this point. Until we get ink to paper and get them coming back for sure there is going to be a might in any sentences used regarding them and the Colts.

That said, I think we should resign them both. I like what I see out of both Tamme and Wheeler. Especially Tamme. Time will tell for sure...if they both go elsewhere, then I have to remember to trust that Grigson and Pagano know what they're doing and will have a plan regardless... ... ...gonna stretch me a little though... ...

Wheeler is nothing more than a special teams player and can be replaced, Tamme on the other hand showed he can play and would be a big loss. Tamme takes priority. I cant see Tamme asking for a huge contract. Hopefully hes resigned

I have to disagree on Wheeler. In a creative blitz package this kid will succeed. May be a little small in the 3/4 but I like the speed.

@BrentMc11 my quote reply isnt working for whatever reason, but as you said "Creative Blitz Package" someone who can only play in a unique situation is replacable. He started several games and was medicore at best. Good on special teams, mediocore as a starting OLB

I like Tamme, but I don't think that he is "that" good. Yeah, he is Dallas Clark light - too light. He should be in his prime right now but he's never come close to showing Clark's game changing abilities when he was in his prime.

With Clark being released and Tamme being ignored, my guess is that the new management is looking for something different. They probably will not accept a TE who isn't a good blocker as well. 1) vital part of run game, 2) effective in pass blocking 3) safety value for QB. I'm sure they would be thrilled to get a brilliant hi-bred player like Gronkowski, but maybe they don't want a glorified WR as their primary TE.

He was mediocore because he payed in a coverage based role in our cover 2. In college he was a blitzing lb in an odd front defense, and was quite good. It would make sense for him to struggle in the cover 2, and he should fit well into a 34. We would be asking him to go back to more of what he knows how to do.