Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Van Jefferson

Watch his highlights and what scouts are saying about his route running. He could easily have an impact the way Terry McLaurin did last year.

Which round do you think the Colts could snatch him up? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/v/s/247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Van-Jefferson-showing-out-at-Senior-Bowl-practices-142614202/Amp/%3famp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#ampf=

47 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Watch his highlights and what scouts are saying about his route running. He could easily have an impact the way Terry McLaurin did last year.

Which round do you think the Colts could snatch him up? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/v/s/247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-Van-Jefferson-showing-out-at-Senior-Bowl-practices-142614202/Amp/%3famp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#ampf=

I really like him too. I'm a big fan.

I wrote a little about him on the Senior Bowl thread. The guy is an absolute artist of a route runner.

He is having a strong Senior Bowl so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in the game. Its hard to gauge where he will go in the draft but he is definitely rising. His two biggest knocks is that he will be 24 by the start of next season and his production in college.

But I think he is a really good WR. I would love to get him in the 3rd round for example.

Finally here is his tape against LSU where he consistently beat Derrick Stingley.

OK, age 24.  Some of this polish in college may be the result of him being older and better focused on the skills of the trade then the 20 and 22 year olds.  Not that its a bad thing, because we know what his floor is, but its a slightly different thing than if he learned this craft being 21.

Will his peers catch up to him after 2 years in the NFL?

I think we need more high floor guys.  If he's better than Rogers or Johnson now, I'd say pick 44 would be fine, but better after a trade down or pick 76.  Need the 40 time though.  And the assessment of hands and catch radius.

48 minutes ago, DougDew said:

OK, age 24.  Some of this polish in college may be the result of him being older and better focused on the skills of the trade then the 20 and 22 year olds.  Not that its a bad thing, because we know what his floor is, but its a slightly different thing than if he learned this craft being 21.

I think we need more high floor guys.  If he's better than Rogers or Johnson now, I'd say pick 44 would be fine, but better after a trade down or pick 76.  Need the 40 time though.  And the assessment of hands and catch radius.

I was thinking he could hopefully be had with our 4th or 5th round pick. 2nd or 3rd round might be a bit high for him. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Weren't you the same guy a day or two ago who wrote that you were done with “high ceiling” players?

Just asking.... 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Weren't you the same guy a day or two ago who wrote that you were done with “high ceiling” players?

Just asking.... 

What didn't you understand?  I was calling him a high floor guy, due to NFL ready route running.  That's why I offered the 2nd or 3rd rounder if hands are good.

To get a 1st rounder, he'd have to have a lot of speed too.

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What didn't you understand?  I was calling him a high floor guy, due to NFL ready route running.  That's why I offered the 2nd or 3rd rounder if hands are good.

When you observed that he’s already 24 and not 20 or 21 then your questioning his ceiling,  whether it was deliberate or not.

When you were concerned that his advanced skill set wouldn’t hold up against younger NFL players you were questioning his ceiling, whether it was deliberate or not.

Welcome to the life of a talent evaluator.   This is much harder than it looks....   in the span of a few days you’ve gone from being done with high ceiling guys to wondering if Jefferson’s ceiling is high enough?

Just saying.....

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When you observed that he’s already 24 and not 20 or 21 then your questioning his ceiling,  whether it was deliberate or not.

When you were concerned that his advanced skill set wouldn’t hold up against younger NFL players you were questioning his ceiling, whether it was deliberate or not.

Welcome to the life of a talent evaluator.   This is much harder than it looks....   in the span of a few days you’ve gone from being done with high ceiling guys to wondering if Jefferson’s ceiling is high enough?

Just saying.....

You can't read, whether its deliberate or not.  

Since I said he was 24 and already advanced to the place a 20 to 22 year old would be in two years, that kind of talks about his ceiling being reached already and the 20 year olds having a higher ceiling themselves, up to his level in a couple of years. 

If he's reached or is close to his ceiling now, that would also be his current floor, no?

Thanks for the lecture.  How would you know how hard it is? Just wondering who you are to tell me that.

His age isn’t an issue he isn’t 28.. 24 and a healthy playing style can have him playing a decent amount of years or do you guys expect every player we have to stay with us 15+ years..he’d still be with us in his prime “if he’s good” if not he’d be kicked to the curb he’s matured enough to know how to win routes and get open and with JB u better know how Cuz if you aren’t you won’t get the ball lmao 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

You can't read, whether its deliberate or not.  

Since I said he was 24 and already advanced to the place a 20 to 22 year old would be in two years, that kind of talks about his ceiling being reached already and the 20 year olds having a higher ceiling themselves, up to his level in a couple of years. 

If he's reached or is close to his ceiling now, that would also be his current floor, no?

Thanks for the lecture.  How would you know how hard it is? Just wondering who you are to tell me that.

You know, Doug, I was polite in my response to you.   Wish I could say the same.  

How would I know?    Who am I?

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m someone who really knows his stuff when it comes to the draft.   I’ve studied this for more than 50 years.   I covered this professionally for 30 years and still follow it closely even though I’m not paid to.   If you haven’t figured out by now, after 8 years,  that I’m someone who understands this material, then I can’t help you.    I have 8 years of credibility here.   If you think I’m just another poster, and that we’re all roughly the same...   well, then I can’t help you.   Put me on ignore if you’re not getting any benefit from my posts.  I’m always fine with that.   

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know, Doug, I was polite in my response to you.   Wish I could say the same.  

How would I know?    Who am I?

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m someone who really knows his stuff when it comes to the draft.   I’ve studied this for more than 50 years.   I covered this professionally for 30 years and still follow it closely even though I’m not paid to.   If you haven’t figured out by now, after 8 years,  that I’m someone who understands this material, then I can’t help you.    I have 8 years of credibility here.   If you think I’m just another poster, and that we’re all roughly the same...   well, then I can’t help you.   Put me on ignore if you’re not getting any benefit from my posts.  I’m always fine with that.   

Golf clap.

And this was my polite response to yours, after which you got personal....as usual.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Golf clap.

And this was my polite response to yours, after which you got personal....as usual.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make....    but that's not uncommon for you, Doug.

Not uncommon at all.

I'm out....

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 4:20 PM, DougDew said:

Golf clap.

Doug, you can’t argue with mr superiority complex guy, he is to great, after all, he has 8 years of credibility here. He is all knowing and all being. I’m not sure that even the good lord himself is in the same class as this guy claims he is. His overconfident arrogance Cracks me up. “I’ve covered this professionally for 30 years” blah blah blah. Sounds like Brian Williams from NBC, bet he was there when the first moon landing happened too. 

some people claim they know it all yet here he is, posting on a message board (probably from his grandmothers basement). I’ve blocked him a few weeks back. Sick of his drivel. 

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just wonder how fast he is. Not every guy who runs great routes but isn’t exceptionally fast turns out to be AB or Jarvis Landry. 4.4 range would be fast enough IMO.

I was sitting here wondering the same

54 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just wonder how fast he is. Not every guy who runs great routes but isn’t exceptionally fast turns out to be AB or Jarvis Landry. 4.4 range would be fast enough IMO.

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

I was sitting here wondering the same

He's not that fast. I think he's closer to 4.6 than to 4.4. He wins in a completely different way - he is a very technical and refined route runner. I really really like him. I wouldn't be upset if we took him with our 3d-4th round picks... but again IMO he's not fast. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jim Nagy was talking about his speed last week actually, he posted something interesting from the senior bowl.

I'd say his speed is fine, maybe not a blazer, but good 'game day' speed so to speak. He game is predicated on quickness, it's the short to intermediate routes is where he will make he money in the pros. 

I really like him, I think he is a good mid round option if we want to double dip in the draft at receiver, because he can contribute right away given how refined his game is. Bryan Edwards is another good option there too. They give Ballard the option to take a high-ceiling/developmental traits type receiver earlier.

25 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Jim Nagy was talking about his speed last week actually, he posted something interesting from the senior bowl.

I'd say his speed is fine, maybe not a blazer, but good 'game day' speed so to speak. He game is predicated on quickness, it's the short to intermediate routes is where he will make he money in the pros. 

I really like him, I think he is a good mid round option if we want to double dip in the draft at receiver, because he can contribute right away given how refined his game is. Bryan Edwards is another good option there too. They give Ballard the option to take a high-ceiling/developmental traits type receiver earlier.

Yeah that type of speed is fine. High 4.4’s with his level of route running should be deadly. There are some folks that think as a route runner he’s just as good if not better than Jeudy. Kristian Fulton was asked who the best receiver he guarded in college was and he said Jefferson despite having faced Lamb, Jeudy, Justin Jefferson, Chase, etc...

It also says a lot that he thoroughly worked Stingley when they played. Granted some of that can be attributed to experience (Stingley was a freshman playing against a 23 year old), but it’s still impressive. 

The more work I do the more I’m getting comfortable with the 2nd and 3rd tier of receivers.

I like him. He could contribute right away, and he was playing against very good (albeit younger) cornerbacks the past two years. 

I like that he’s not afraid to get dirty, and sometimes uses his physical traits to get separation.

He has good patience throughout the game, and doesn’t seem to get frazzled when a defensive back is all over him. That kind of determination, the “wait for the opportune moment” is the type of stuff we have seen from other successful receivers at Lucas Oil. He just needs that one big play.

Late second or early third round would be great value.

Almost all rookie receivers spend their entire first years learning and developing before they contribute in any significant way. It's just the nature of the position. But this kid has a good chance to be one of the few exceptions to that, because of how advanced he already is at this point.

In this way, he reminds me a lot of Keenan Allen, who already had developed to the point where he was able to earn Philip's trust early in his rookie season. And he had a really good, productive rookie year as a result. And he was selected in the third round. Now, I if course have no idea where this kid will get picked, but whenever it is, it won't have anything to do with how much he ends up producing for his team his first year.

17 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'll take him and Pittman Jr please! lol

I love Van's technical prowess and I've recently become a HUGE fan of Pittman. I really like what he brings as a WR and think he could be a high end WR2 with WR1 potential.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

They would be great picks. 44 and 75 works for me.
  This kid gets open whenever he wants. He is amazing in that regard.

I wouldn't be mad at that.

Also to prior comments, Jefferson's elite route running isn't necessarily due to his age, but to the fact that his father is 13 year NFL WR Shawn Jefferson, who has been an NFL WR coach for the past 13 years.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I didn't realize he used to be one of Chad Kellys receivers at Ole Miss.  I was just watching some highlight film and it surprised me.   I guess he transferred to Florida later on. 

Yep, he transferred as a grad student.

Archived