Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Manning retiring

danlhart87

Congrats on a great career Eli, you and your team won 2 SB's over the Patriots including beating an undefeated Patriots team in 2007. If a QB wins 2 SB's or more as a starter they belong in the HOFame IMO. 12 QB's have won 2 or more SB's:

Terry Bradshaw (4) Made it

Joe Montana (4) Made it

Troy Aikman (3) Made it

Bart Starr (2) Made it

Bob Griese (2) Made it

Roger Staubach (2) Made it

John Elway (2) Made it

-those 7 are in the HOFame

Obviously these guys will get in

Tom Brady (6)

Peyton Manning (2)

Ben Roethlisberger (2)

-that will be 10 in

Jim Plunkett is the only QB in NFL History to win 2 SB's as a starter and not be in the HOFame after he was eligible. Eli Manning will get in and should. 

Any good QB can get hot in a certain season or even a game manager can just do everything right to win 1 SB. A QB that wins 2 as a starter though is no joke. Do it twice, that is special.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Congrats on a great career Eli, you and your team won 2 SB's over the Patriots including beating an undefeated Patriots team in 2007. If a QB wins 2 SB's or more as a starter they belong in the HOFame IMO. 12 QB's have won 2 or more SB's:

Joe Montana (4) Made it

Troy Aikman (3) Made it

Bart Starr (2) Made it

Bob Griese (2) Made it

John Elway (2) Made it

Tom Brady (6)

Peyton Manning (2)

Ben Roethlisberger (2)

-that will be 10 in

Jim Plunkett is the only QB in NFL History to win 2 SB's as a starter and not be in the HOFame after he was eligible. Eli Manning will get in and should. 

Any good QB can get hot in a certain season or even a game manager can just do everything right to win 1 SB. A QB that wins 2 as a starter though is no joke. Do it twice, that is special.

I respectfully disagree.   But I would have higher standards for the HOF.  Eli wasn't a top 5 QB in the league any of the seasons he played.   .500 record for his career.   I would like for them to at least been a top 3 player at their position for 1-2 years.

I wouldn't put Rivers in either and it is assumed he will get in too.

Eli represented the Giants and the league very well. He used his fame from football to do a lot of good charitable work. Ultimately, that will matter more as life goes on outside football.

Enjoy retirement, Eli!!! You will be missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

I respectfully disagree.   But I would have higher standards for the HOF.  Eli wasn't a top 5 QB in the league any of the seasons he played.   .500 record for his career.   I would like for them to at least been a top 3 player at their position for 1-2 years.

He is retiring as the highest paid QB.

He led his team to 2 Super Bowl wins, against the winningest (is that a word?) team Both times!  The first one seemed like a miracle of sorts, but then there's the second one.. 

Everyone has an opinion of who and who doesn't belong in the HOF. 

My opinion is you either do or you don't.  I get irritated with the way they jerk some players around in the process of it.

He'll get it, but there's really strong argument that he shouldn't and I'd probably take it. He wasn't why the team won either Super Bowl, aside from delivering two amazing, beautiful, beyond important yet fluky passes.

He didn't do much of anything in the other 14 years, which is the primary indictment of his credentials to be a HOF'er.  14 years, marginal, middle of the road. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He'll get it, but there's really strong argument that he shouldn't and I'd probably take it. He wasn't why the team won either Super Bowl, aside from delivering two amazing, beautiful, beyond important yet fluky passes.

He didn't do much of anything in the other 14 years, which is the primary indictment of his credentials to be a HOF'er.  14 years, marginal, middle of the road. 

I agree he'll get in, I just wouldn't put him in myself.  I'm not sure anyone would have him as a top 10 QB in the league any year he has played.   I might be wrong with that though.   

36 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Wasn't he MVP:lombardi::lombardi: for both?  :dunno: :scratch:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Myles said:

:lol: @Myles only you would come onto a thread filled with positive, uplifting comments and totally disrupt it with your very unforgiving BLUNT style of post... wouldn’t expect anything less! haha

12 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

:lol: @Myles only you would come onto a thread filled with positive, uplifting comments and totally disrupt it with your very unforgiving BLUNT style of post... wouldn’t expect anything less! haha

Eli seems like a good guy.  Stayed with 1 team his whole career.  Won 2 Superbowls.   

There you go, some positive, uplifting comments.

I still don't think he should be in the HOF.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Eli seems like a good guy.  Stayed with 1 team his whole career.  Won 2 Superbowls.   

There you go, some positive, uplifting comments.

I still don't think he should be in the HOF.  

Peyton disagrees with you:

Peyton Manning 'drops the mic' on brother Eli Manning's Hall of Fame debate

"To me, it's the time to look back and reflect. Everybody else wants to look ahead and have this debate. And I understand, that's just the world we live in. I know Eli doesn't think like that, and I don't think like that either. But I certainly have my strong feelings and opinions on it. When you're the Super Bowl MVP twice against the greatest dynasty of all-time, the New England Patriots, Tom Brady/Bill Belichick, and you join a list that includes Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Tom Brady and Joe Montana, Eli Manning as the only (multiple) Super Bowl MVPs. 

"I don't really know what that term, 'drop the mic' is, but I guess if there was one. ... There really is no 'yeah, but' after that. That kind of ends it. But if you want a, 'yeah, but,' yeah, but he also started 220-plus consecutive games. He's sixth or seventh all-time in touchdowns. It wasn't like he just played those two seasons.

"He answered the bell, played his butt off, won some huge games for his team. I have strong opinions on it, but I'm gonna pull and Eli and live in the present and kinda look back if you will and not look too far ahead, get too worried about it."

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Peyton disagrees with you:

Peyton Manning 'drops the mic' on brother Eli Manning's Hall of Fame debate

"To me, it's the time to look back and reflect. Everybody else wants to look ahead and have this debate. And I understand, that's just the world we live in. I know Eli doesn't think like that, and I don't think like that either. But I certainly have my strong feelings and opinions on it. When you're the Super Bowl MVP twice against the greatest dynasty of all-time, the New England Patriots, Tom Brady/Bill Belichick, and you join a list that includes Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Tom Brady and Joe Montana, Eli Manning as the only (multiple) Super Bowl MVPs. 

"I don't really know what that term, 'drop the mic' is, but I guess if there was one. ... There really is no 'yeah, but' after that. That kind of ends it. But if you want a, 'yeah, but,' yeah, but he also started 220-plus consecutive games. He's sixth or seventh all-time in touchdowns. It wasn't like he just played those two seasons.

"He answered the bell, played his butt off, won some huge games for his team. I have strong opinions on it, but I'm gonna pull and Eli and live in the present and kinda look back if you will and not look too far ahead, get too worried about it."

It's his brother, of course he wants him in.

I do think Eli will get in.   I just don't agree with it.  He was never a top 5 (or even 10 maybe) QB in the league at the time he played.  

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

I do think Eli will get in.   I just don't agree with it.  He was never a top 5 (or even 10 maybe) QB in the league at the time he played.  

Yes, that is part of it, of course.  But he also made valid points as to why Eli should get in.

Fun debating it in any event.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Myles said:

You look at both their careers, I see Peyton Manning have a 27:12 TD:INT ratio in 2008 and 33:16 TD:INT ratio in 2009 during his 2 MVP seasons. Outside the 2006 season, our SB winning season, where Peyton threw just 9 INTs for the whole season, Peyton had double digit INTs in every single season. Eli threw 10 and 14 INTs in those 2 seasons but then, team success matters a lot in MVP discussions, fair or not, and Peyton did have a better team, IMO.

From 2005-2012, for 8 straight years, the Giants DID NOT have a losing season. But by that time, the NFC was starting to get much stronger with Brees and Rodgers in their prime, and the Giants as a team got weaker. 

Just look at it objectively, recent reputation and performance should not override what he did from 2005-2012 as a QB, which is Top 10 level. Plus, countless times, during those good years, you saw Brandon Jacobs or Ahmad Bradshaw punch it in once they got inside the 10. So, on the surface, those affect the TD pass count thus affecting the TD:INT ratio. To me, he was a good quarterback, who raised his game like an elite one when the lights shone the brightest. He was by no means elite all the time. I feel it would be deserved with him going in second ballot but first ballot HOF, he is not. But I do think he deserves to be in the HOF overall.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

It is a "what have you done for me lately" league and people focus on the 2013-2018 years that were bad or borderline disasters, also because the Giants were a sub-par team for the most part, and dock Eli for it. 

5 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Yes, that is part of it, of course.  But he also made valid points as to why Eli should get in.

Fun debating it in any event.

He did make good points, but I don't feel they are enough.  I just have more strict criteria for getting in (which doesn't matter in real life).  For me, SB wins could make a borderline player get in.  I wouldn't consider Flacco, Foles, Brad Johnson or Dilfer for the Hall.  Even if Flacco would win the SuperBowl with Denver next season.   My biggest obstacle for making the HOF (if I had a say) would be that you would have to be considered one of the best 5 at your position for a couple years.  

That's just me though.  No biggie though.   I know that part of it is popularity.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

When I look at his career numbers each season, no season stands out as a top 10 in the NFL.  

In fact, Flacco has very similar numbers and even if he won another SB, I would deem him worthy of the HOF.  

image.png.becbff90ba0d8beaf5571a3a65f0125d.png

Your stance has come through loud and clear.  We get it.

We'll revisit in 5 or 6 years.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

When I look at his career numbers each season, no season stands out as a top 10 in the NFL.  

In fact, Flacco has very similar numbers and even if he won another SB, I would deem him worthy of the HOF.  

image.png.becbff90ba0d8beaf5571a3a65f0125d.png

Flacco only won 1 SB. Huge difference between 1 and 2, doesn't seem like it but it is. Eli and his team won 2 SB's and he was MVP in both. He and his teams beat the Patriots twice on top of it. He and his team beat the undefeated Patriots in 2007 which was a history changer. Eli belongs and how this is even a debate is puzzling. As a starter he was 117-117 which is .500 but his playoff record was 8-4 which is top notch. By the way his stats all-time are almost identical to Big Ben's as well. 

I can buy maybe he shouldn't be 1st ballot but I have him 2nd ballot. If Joe Namath is in the HOFame then Eli definitely belongs. Have you seen Namath's record and stats? He only won 1 SB as well.

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Flacco only won 1 SB. Huge difference between 1 and 2, doesn't seem like it but it is. Eli and his team won 2 SB's and he was MVP in both. He and his teams beat the Patriots twice on top of it. He and his team beat the undefeated Patriots in 2007 which was a history changer. Eli belongs and how this is even a debate is puzzling. As a starter he was 117-117 which is .500 but his playoff record was 8-4 which is top notch. By the way his stats all-time are almost identical to Big Ben's as well. 

I can buy maybe he shouldn't be 1st ballot but I have him 2nd ballot. If Joe Namath is in the HOFame then Eli definitely belongs. Have you seen Namath's record and stats? He only won 1 SB as well.

Namath should not have gotten in.   So you think messing up is OK because they did it before.   

Flacco has 1 SB win and SB MVP.  If he wins another, you put Flacco in?   I wouldn't.   Flacco has very similar season numbers.   Closer than Eli is to Big Bens.  

Bottom line...

He had a long career.

He stayed pretty healthy and injury free for 16 years.  He did great things on and off the field.  Greatly respected among his teammates, competitors and peers. And a two time SB MVP.  I believe Peyton stated there are only a handful in that category, so he is in the top 5 for SB MVPs.

I think I read somewhere the "average career" for an NFL player is 4 years. Granted some last longer than others.

Some only last a year or two.  Some like Vinny over 20 years.  But the overall average is 4 to 5 years, or somewhere there abouts.

So 16 years, starting 220 consecutive games is also quite an accomplishment.

Naysayers be naysayers.  I'm in the group that has the utmost respect for him as a person first, player second.  And I hope to see him in the HOF someday!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Myles said:

Namath should not have gotten in.   So you think messing up is OK because they did it before.   

Flacco has 1 SB win and SB MVP.  If he wins another, you put Flacco in?   I wouldn't.   Flacco has very similar season numbers.   Closer than Eli is to Big Bens.  

If Flacco put together another great season and won a SB and an MVP then yes I would put Flacco in. He won't though (he isn't that great) so that is a moot point. There is a reason only 12 QB's have won 2 or more SB's, it is because it really tough to do. 

On 1/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joe Montana (4) Made it

Troy Aikman (3) Made it

Bart Starr (2) Made it

Bob Griese (2) Made it

John Elway (2) Made it

Tom Brady (6)

Peyton Manning (2)

Ben Roethlisberger (2)

-that will be 10 in

Totally disagree.  Eli has never been in the conversation as an MVP when he played .  He was never ranked as one of the best qbs when he played.  I think the whole he won 2 super bowl argument is  absurd.  Does that mean that the LT who played in those 2 super bowl wins deserves to b in the hall of fame even though he had an average career?  The hall of fame me is for the truly elite players of their time.  Eli is well below such  players like Marion, Montana, Favre, his brother, Brady, Young and I could go on.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Totally disagree.  Eli has never been in the conversation as an MVP when he played .  He was never ranked as one of the best qbs when he played.  I think the whole he won 2 super bowl argument is  absurd.  Does that mean that the LT who played in those 2 super bowl wins deserves to b in the hall of fame even though he had an average career?  The hall of fame me is for the truly elite players of their time.  Eli is well below such  players like Marion, Montana, Favre, his brother, Brady, Young and I could go on.  

Eli didn't  just play in those 2 Super Bowl wins.  He was the MVP both times.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Eli made the ProBowl 4 times so he was a top 10 QB several times in his career. He has thrown for more yards than Big Ben (57023 - 56545) who have both played the same amount of years. People love to use yards as a measuring stick, 57023 is a lot.

One can say he was 117-117 as a QB which still is respectable at .500 but he was 8-4 in the playoffs which is great.

It is just not winning 2 SB's but it is who he beat that stands out, he also won MVP in both vs the Pats. He belongs in the HOFame so we will just have to disagree. Maybe not 1st ballot but I say 2nd ballot at worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eli made the ProBowl 4 times so he was a top 10 QB several times in his career. He has thrown for more yards than Big Ben (57023 - 56545) who have both played the same amount of years. People love to use yards as a measuring stick, 57023 is a lot.

One can say he was 117-117 as a QB which still is respectable at .500 but he was 8-4 in the playoffs which is great.

It is just not winning 2 SB's but it is who he beat that stands out, he also won MVP in both vs the Pats. He belongs in the HOFame so we will just have to disagree. Maybe not 1st ballot but I say 2nd ballot at worse.

K let's play this game.  Take away his 2 best years, his superbowl years,and his 2 worst years.  Is worthy of the hall of fame??  He was never ever considered as a possible MVP during his playing time.  He was never ever considered as a top qb during his nfl career.  I compare him against the qbs in the hall of fame and he is not in that class.  If u were building a team and someone said to u that u get Peyton and he gets Montana. I would b fine with that as I consider them as equals. Sure u may like Montana but u would b fine with it Peyton based on their play. Now say that same person says they r taking Montana and u get Eli do u think that is fair?  Not even close.  That's how I measure if players r worthy of being in the Hall of Fame.  I compare them against the other  elite players.