Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Manning retiring

danlhart87

3 hours ago, Gramz said:

Eli didn't  just play in those 2 Super Bowl wins.  He was the MVP both times.  

O my.  That has nothing to do with getting into the hall of fame.  U cannot take 2 games in a career and let him in the hall of fame because he performed well in those games. The mvp of those games should have been the Giants D line. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

K let's play this game.  Take away his 2 best years, his superbowl years,and his 2 worst years.  Is worthy of the hall of fame??  He was never ever considered as a possible MVP during his playing time.  He was never ever considered as a top qb during his nfl career.  I compare him against the qbs in the hall of fame and he is not in that class.  If u were building a team and someone said to u that u get Peyton and he gets Montana. I would b fine with that as I consider them as equals. Sure u may like Montana but u would b fine with it Peyton based on their play. Now say that same person says they r taking Montana and u get Eli do u think that is fair?  Not even close.  That's how I measure if players r worthy of being in the Hall of Fame.  I compare them against the other  elite players.

Just because Eli isn't near as great as Peyton or Montana doesn't mean he doesn't belong in the HOFame. You are talking about 2 of the 3 greatest ever to do it. Brady being the other one. Like I replied to @Myles earlier, if Joe Namath is in then Eli should be in easily. Look at Namath's stats and W-L record and he only won 1 SB. 

You can't play the take away game because what happened, happened. That would be like me saying take Peyton's 2006 season away and he would've never won a ring here in Indy. Doesn't work like that, Eli earned his 2 rings like Peyton did in 2006. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just because Eli isn't near as great as Peyton or Montana doesn't mean he doesn't belong in the HOFame. You are talking about 2 of the 3 greatest ever to do it. Brady being the other one. Like I replied to @Myles earlier, if Joe Namath is in then Eli should be in easily. Look at Namath's stats and W-L record and he only won 1 SB. 

You can't play the take away game because what happened, happened. That would be like me saying take Peyton's 2006 season away and he would've never won a ring here in Indy. Doesn't work like that, Eli earned his 2 rings like Peyton did in 2006. 

U don't look at Namath and say because he is in than Eli should get  in.  Namath was a mistake and he got in because he won the infamous super bowl.  U take away Peytons 2 super bowl wins and he still gets into the hall of fame based on his play and awards.  In order to b worthy of the hall of fame was Eli considered to b on the same level of  other qbs he played against during his career?  Nope

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

O my.  That has nothing to do with getting into the hall of fame.  U cannot take 2 games in a career and let him in the hall of fame because he performed well in those games. The mvp of those games should have been the Giants D line. 

In 5 or 6 years we will see.  

It's crazy to debate this.  And it's crazy how people get so worked up over a possible or probable  HOF induction, and crazy how people have such differing opinions, but we are all entitled to our opinions. 

I am more concerned and appreciative and respectful of Eli the person.  If he gets in....great recognition.  If he doesn't, well there are a lot of more important things in life.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IF we use the Namath example to put someone in, then many more mediocre QB's should be getting in.   I'm not in favor of doing that.    Flacco has better numbers than Namath, but I wouldn't put him in either.   

It's all opinion and I have no problem either way.   My opinion is that a player should not get in unless he was a top 3 at his position when he played.  I have no issue with Kurt Warner or Terrell Davis being in because they were near tops at their position for a few years.   

Namath’s stats and record went downhill his last few years, not that that matters. He went in because he was the quarterback of the biggest upset in football history and 1 of the biggest in sports history. Eli was the quarterback for the 2nd biggest. Like it or not that gets a guy who never missed a game in the meantime in the HoF. I personally like it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 7:14 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Congrats on a great career Eli, you and your team won 2 SB's over the Patriots including beating an undefeated Patriots team in 2007. If a QB wins 2 SB's or more as a starter they belong in the HOFame IMO. 12 QB's have won 2 or more SB's:

Terry Bradshaw (4) Made it

Joe Montana (4) Made it

Troy Aikman (3) Made it

Bart Starr (2) Made it

Bob Griese (2) Made it

Roger Staubach (2) Made it

John Elway (2) Made it

-those 7 are in the HOFame

Obviously these guys will get in

Tom Brady (6)

Peyton Manning (2)

Ben Roethlisberger (2)

-that will be 10 in

Jim Plunkett is the only QB in NFL History to win 2 SB's as a starter and not be in the HOFame after he was eligible. Eli Manning will get in and should. 

Any good QB can get hot in a certain season or even a game manager can just do everything right to win 1 SB. A QB that wins 2 as a starter though is no joke. Do it twice, that is special.

Vs the patriots with a dominant offense. It's not like this years version. 

• Like 1