Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Reich, no decision from Anthony Castonzo yet

zibby43

New 

1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

If AC decides to retire, then it's another unexpected event that Ballard has to deal with, although at least Ballard has had a bit of time to consider options.

The McDaniels fiasco 2 years ago, then Luck's late retirement last year and now possibly your LT retiring at a younger age than expected.

So...let's say AC hangs up the cleats...now our draft board and focus changes completely.

You'd have to take a LT at #13, right?  From the mocks I've seen, the top 2-3 tackles may be gone by the time we pick.

Do we trade up to get a LT?  Many want us to trade up for a QB, but to me, LT is even more valuable to us next year than a rookie QB...JMO

A young, mauling left tackle with Chad Kelly under center.  I love it!

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i do think its about the qb situation and if he thinks the team will be a contender or not.  he probably will not say that publicly even if it is true

its not unheard of though, barry sanders and CJ come to mind

I  agree on this take.  If he new Luck was returning there is no doubt in my mind that he would also.  No Luck then he has to really think hard about it.  If he new we were going to bring in someone that he might get excited about, like Carr or Bridgewater as examples, then I think he would feel like he has a chance at a SB.  But he has no idea what Ballard has in mind.  There is no need for him to rush to a decision at this time.  A lot could happen on the QB front that could help make up his mind.  Maybe he waits and sees what happens. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

If AC decides to retire, then it's another unexpected event that Ballard has to deal with, although at least Ballard has had a bit of time to consider options.

The McDaniels fiasco 2 years ago, then Luck's late retirement last year and now possibly your LT retiring at a younger age than expected.

So...let's say AC hangs up the cleats...now our draft board and focus changes completely.

You'd have to take a LT at #13, right?  From the mocks I've seen, the top 2-3 tackles may be gone by the time we pick.

Do we trade up to get a LT?  Many want us to trade up for a QB, but to me, LT is even more valuable to us next year than a rookie QB...JMO

I agree.   To me it makes signing a vet QB more critical.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree.   To me it makes signing a vet QB more critical.   

I dunno, regardless, we still require a LT this year.  If AC comes back and goes down with an injury this team (as of today) has no legit backup for him.  That injury would pretty much null that vet QB.  Having AC's backup in the wings would help.

As of today I am in the "take best player available" (QB/LT) camp for the 13th pick.  That would probably change depending what CB does during free agency.

56 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I dunno, regardless, we still require a LT this year.  If AC comes back and goes down with an injury this team (as of today) has no legit backup for him.  That injury would pretty much null that vet QB.  Having AC's backup in the wings would help.

As of today I am in the "take best player available" (QB/LT) camp for the 13th pick.  That would probably change depending what CB does during free agency.

If AC retires, we have to draft one in Round One if one is available.  If that happens, I would hope we'd get into FA for a QB (Carr and Dalton are my picks for that).   If he stays, we have some leeway with our first pick and may go QB if the right one is still there.    I do like your point about getting one now, though, and training him up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

If AC retires, we have to draft one in Round One if one is available.  If that happens, I would hope we'd get into FA for a QB (Carr and Dalton are my picks for that).   If he stays, we have some leeway with our first pick and may go QB if the right one is still there.    I do like your point about getting one now, though, and training him up. 

From what I have read OT is pretty deep. Although LT is super important I put the QB ahead of that if the right guy is there. We might have to just use a stop gap for a year if he retires. We aren’t going to be able to do everything in one draft. 

On 1/22/2020 at 8:20 PM, NewColtsFan said:

He doesn’t have $60 million.   He’s probably EARNED $60 mill. But that is different. 

But taxes eat up half, so now he has $30 mill.    He’s been living on some of that...   so maybe he has spent $10 over the course of his career.   Now he has $20.   No one is crying poor, we’re not taking up a collection for AC.   I’m just saying he’s not as rich as one might think... 

You forgot his agent and his 10% taken on the contract... not after taxes.

Let's start a GoFundme page for him :)

I'm in the minority, I don't think AC is going to retire but if I'm wrong which has happened a couple of times over the past few years, I think the Colts will look but I don't think LT becomes more of a priority that a 3Tech and QB.  I was impressed with the way Clark played in the preseason last year and I think the winner of the competition between Haeg and Clark, playing next to Q will be fine for a year or two until the right left tackle comes along.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You forgot his agent and his 10% taken on the contract... not after taxes.

Let's start a GoFundme page for him :)

I'm in the minority, I don't think AC is going to retire but if I'm wrong which has happened a couple of times over the past few years, I think the Colts will look but I don't think LT becomes more of a priority that a 3Tech and QB.  I was impressed with the way Clark played in the preseason last year and I think the winner of the competition between Haeg and Clark, playing next to Q will be fine for a year or two until the right left tackle comes along.

Why wouldn't Nelson make a better LT than Haeg or Clark?  Maybe its a matter of then not wanting to have a poor LG, but it might be easier to sign a FA LG until the correct LT comes along if Nelson slides over.

I wouldn't trust Haeg or Clark at LT.  Teams will just isolate them with a speed rusher around the edge giving Nelson no chance to help out most of the time.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why wouldn't Nelson make a better LT than Haeg or Clark? 

a lot of people were wondering if QN could play LT during the draft process.  he said the Bengals asked him that directly and he answered yes he thinks can play LT in the league at a high level 

Haeg is not a LT imo, i still dont know what to think of Clark

something to consider is Q might be more valuable at guard if we are going to be a running team 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

a lot of people were wondering if QN could play LT during the draft process.  he said the Bengals asked him that directly and he answered yes he thinks can play LT in the league at a high level 

Haeg is not a LT imo, i still dont know what to think of Clark

something to consider is Q might be more valuable at guard if we are going to be a running team 

I agree.  Just thinking along the lines that if we're left unprepared at LT that Nelson could slide over for a season.  Might be a pleasant surprise too.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, aaron11 said:

i do think its about the qb situation and if he thinks the team will be a contender or not.  he probably will not say that publicly even if it is true

its not unheard of though, barry sanders and CJ come to mind

.............or he aches from head to toe, has millions in the bank, and wants to spend his days play golf with Andrew and designing cathedrals.

• Like 4

On 1/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, richard pallo said:

I  agree on this take.  If he new Luck was returning there is no doubt in my mind that he would also.  No Luck then he has to really think hard about it.  If he new we were going to bring in someone that he might get excited about, like Carr or Bridgewater as examples, then I think he would feel like he has a chance at a SB.  But he has no idea what Ballard has in mind.  There is no need for him to rush to a decision at this time.  A lot could happen on the QB front that could help make up his mind.  Maybe he waits and sees what happens. 

You know, it is possible, in fact even probable, that Castonzo is making a decision on what he feels is best for him regardless of who the QB is. 

Does he want to prepare to play in the off season?  Does his body feel right?  Would his body feel ok with another couple years of playing the game?  Does he want to delay getting started with the rest of his life?  Those are the far more likely scenarios he is weighing and none of them involve who the damn QB is. 

19 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

.............or he aches from head to toe, has millions in the bank, and wants to spend his days play golf with Andrew and designing cathedrals.

could be that or what i said

its happened before with barry and CJ2k

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Thank you for bringing reality into the utter nonsense. 

as if no one has retired over what i said.  people said it was nonsense when i said luck will probably retire early too about a year ago

neither ballard nor AC has mentioned his health at all, i think they would have if it was about that

“I just need to think. I need to sit down and think and see how different things play out.”

if you actually look at what he said its reasonable to come to the conclusion i did, not one word about pain or injuries but he wants to see how things play out

On 1/23/2020 at 4:44 PM, MB-ColtsFan said:

Yep.  AC needs to let Ballard know before the FA period begins (I'm sure that's the plan).  Maybe both sides will agree to franchise tag for one year.

But Ballard needs to know if he needs to replace a starting LT via draft or FA very soon.  If so, he's got to get round 1 talent to plug into the oline immediately.  If AC resigns or is franchised, Ballard will still have to get a LT in the draft anyway, but can find him at pick 34 or 44.  If AC stays for 3 years, put that T at RT and slide Smith inside until AC leaves.

And with ACs contract expiring, which didn't sneak up on anybody anyway, having a back up plan should probably have been in place for a while now.  Not totally impressed with how the LT spot has been handled so far, because it seems like we might be cornered into scrambling for a replacement, but maybe he has more confidence in LeRaven Clark than the fans do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

You know, it is possible, in fact even probable, that Castonzo is making a decision on what he feels is best for him regardless of who the QB is. 

Does he want to prepare to play in the off season?  Does his body feel right?  Would his body feel ok with another couple years of playing the game?  Does he want to delay getting started with the rest of his life?  Those are the far more likely scenarios he is weighing and none of them involve who the damn QB is. 

Many fans extend their own take on player desires/motivations, and assume those mirror their own. 

Your take is correct. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

neither ballard nor AC has mentioned his health at all, i think they would have if it was about that

“I just need to think. I need to sit down and think and see how different things play out.”

if you actually look at what he said its reasonable to come to the conclusion i did, not one word about pain or injuries but he wants to see how things play out

Dear God...

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

It's reasonable to think he wants to win and that's a factor in him coming back

Hell read what he actually said.  

I think this could be a bit of a copycat situation.  

If he has a friend (Luck) who decided to retire to enjoy life as a millionaire, it makes sense that it got him thinking.   Why not do the same and enjoy life with the $$.   

Sure, the teams chances of being Super Bowl contenders would factor into it a bit.   

On 1/21/2020 at 5:22 PM, zibby43 said:

The fact that there is no decision yet signals to me that retirement is very, very much on the table. 

That's not a prediction, but LT definitely needs to be addressed now, irrespective of whether AC comes back.

No decision I bet that means he is leaning towards retiring.

30 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

No decision I bet that means he is leaning towards retiring.

I bet that they already know he is coming back. Joel and Jim put it this way. AC is a FA. So the colts aren’t going to say he has made a decision until he is signed. They can’t  say he has decided to come back but what if they can’t work something out.  I doubt he hasn’t made his decision yet. We should find out soon. 

15 hours ago, aaron11 said:

It's reasonable to think he wants to win and that's a factor in him coming back

Hell read what he actually said.  

I did read it. And I find your conclusions to be funny. 

“See how things play out” can have many interpretations. It could mean “see how I feel” or “see if I have the desire to prepare” or “see if I like their offer” or several other possibilities. 

And here’s the thing. I would bet a large sum of funds that the AC decision comes before they can do anything in the draft or free agency. Which, if true, means there will be nothing for him to “see how it plays out.”

And earlier in the thread you pulled a muscle patting yourself on the back for saying Luck could retire early. Well that is not a particularly brilliant or insightful thought. Any one with a pulse could see he was different and had other interests outside the game. Early retirement was always a possibility.  Now if you called him walking away 3 weeks before the season, then your self-congratulatory post would be more meaningful. 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He's too smart to pass up up 50M..... 

Sweet Jesus. 

NFL players are walking away from millions of dollars. All the time. Every year. Have you been asleep for the last 5 years?

There are other motivations that lead to their decisions. $$ is not the only thing players are considering. 

35 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Sweet Jesus. 

NFL players are walking away from millions of dollars. All the time. Every year. Have you been asleep for the last 5 years?

There are other motivations that lead to their decisions. $$ is not the only thing players are considering. 

Not many OL do. 

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is worth over 6 million dollars. Maybe he don't feel he needs the money? 

Maybe 9 years is enough for him?  

Money may not be an issue to him?

We'll see. Nothing would shock me, but I'd be surprised if he turns down the cash.

Collecting 50Mish and playing next to Q (which will make things considerably easier) during that time, has to be hard to turn down.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I did read it. And I find your conclusions to be funny. 

“See how things play out” can have many interpretations. It could mean “see how I feel” or “see if I have the desire to prepare” or “see if I like their offer” or several other possibilities. 

And here’s the thing. I would bet a large sum of funds that the AC decision comes before they can do anything in the draft or free agency. Which, if true, means there will be nothing for him to “see how it plays out.”

And earlier in the thread you pulled a muscle patting yourself on the back for saying Luck could retire early. Well that is not a particularly brilliant or insightful thought. Any one with a pulse could see he was different and had other interests outside the game. Early retirement was always a possibility.  Now if you called him walking away 3 weeks before the season, then your self-congratulatory post would be more meaningful. 

whats funny is that you are jumping to conclusions too and patting yourself on the back thinking you are being the voice of reason here. 

maybe he wants to talk to ballard and get a better idea of the teams qb situation and chances of contending in the next few years?

fyi ballard is still reviewing qbs after the senior bowl, maybe hes waiting on that.  you dont know what hes thinking for sure either, get over your self.  players have retired over this before