Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’d take him at 34, over even Love if both were there. Eason has great vision and an insane arm. Everything he doesn’t do well can be coached. The only big knock on him is that he somewhat struggles against inside pressure, but with Q and Kelly inside, that shouldn’t be a huge issue. I think he’s the best fit for the team outside the top 3 QBs in the draft

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

With a new rumor stating that the Colts love Eason I figure we should start a topic discussing what everyone thinks about him. 

Likes?

Dislikes?

Would you take him at 13? 34?

Where’s this stated rumor that the colts love Eason? 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

On a side note, I'll puke if NE drafts TE Kmet.  He's exactly what they need to bring Brady back into form.

Think what you want but Brady has lost his "form' and it's not coming back.

He has lost his ability to be a great QB just like Manning did his last year.

He may have the mental aspects of a great QB but his age and talent level have deteriorated to the point he is no longer an elite QB. He no longer has the ability to carry a team. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Think what you want but Brady has lost his "form' and it's not coming back.

He has lost his ability to be a great QB just like Manning did his last year.

He may have the mental aspects of a great QB but his age and talent level have deteriorated to the point he is no longer an elite QB. He no longer has the ability to carry a team. 

Maybe.  It hard to tell for sure since his drop off also coincided with losing a great player, Gronk, who was also getting old too. 

BB has been in a win now mode for each of the last 5 years, IMO.  He's not bothering to build for the future when the QB is here and now.  And its been a great strategy.  They've won.  Brady with Kmet and that defense will give NE a better shot at the SB than if BB drafted a QB to develop, as some have suggested.

Who knows when that page is turned, but if Brady resigns will NE, they'll be prepared to load up for another shot next year, IMO.

11 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I’d take him at 34, over even Love if both were there. Eason has great vision and an insane arm. Everything he doesn’t do well can be coached. The only big knock on him is that he somewhat struggles against inside pressure, but with Q and Kelly inside, that shouldn’t be a huge issue. I think he’s the best fit for the team outside the top 3 QBs in the draft

I'm not sure that you can teach someone to not absolutely panic under pressure. Also, relying on Q and Kelly to always be able to start and cover up a glaring weakness like that is just silly.

Keep in mind, our biggest OL weakness is at RG. Eason will get pressured and the combination of his reaction to pressure and inexperience as a starter are big red flags for me. One of the most important skills a successful QB can have is the ability to keep their eyes downfield, despite incoming pressure.

I like him better than I like Love, and if we had Curtis Painter as our starter I’d target Eason at the top of the 2nd as an instant upgrade.  However, I don’t think any QBs available in this draft have a future much better than Brissett’s first seven games of this year.  I’d rather coach up JB next year, and take a mid-round shot to strengthen the position in case we get the JB of the second half of this season...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Archer said:

However, I don’t think any QBs available in this draft have a future better than Brissett’s first seven games of this year.

JB is exactly who he is as a QB. With a better supporting cast, better coaching, and time in the system he didn't look much better than 2017 or even his college film. He has a bad deep ball and teams realized they could just sit on everything in the short/intermediate to try to make him beat them deep. When we were down in the 4th, there is no belief that JB would win the game for us.

He's a game manager at best and of the QB's in this draft have a much higher ceiling that JB: Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Love easily have a higher ceiling with not much of a lower floor than JB.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Shive said:

JB is exactly who he is as a QB. With a better supporting cast, better coaching, and time in the system he didn't look much better than 2017 or even his college film. He has a bad deep ball and teams realized they could just sit on everything in the short/intermediate to try to make him beat them deep. When we were down in the 4th, there is no belief that JB would win the game for us.

He's a game manager at best and of the QB's in this draft have a much higher ceiling that JB: Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Love easily have a higher ceiling with not much of a lower floor than JB.

That is true, but what does it take to do that?  There are times in the 4th Q when defenses flip to the prevent defense.  At that point, is moving the ball down the field the result of the QB or the D?  And, in those circumstances, throwing a long ball is exactly the thing NOT to do.

So JB's weakness is not really coming back from a 4th quarter deficit late in the game, its the lack of the long ball's ability to create a big lead for us going into the 4th quarter.

If we had a better defense, that weakness has less consequences.

If those college QBs throw picks, that could just as well put us behind in the 4thQ, and their long ball prowess won't matter because Ds are defending that.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That is true, but what does it take to do that?  There are times in the 4th Q when defenses flip to the prevent defense.  At that point, is moving the ball down the field the result of the QB or the D?  And, in those circumstances, throwing a long ball is exactly the thing NOT to do.

So JB's weakness is not really coming back from a 4th quarter deficit late in the game, its the lack of the long ball's ability to create a big lead for us going into the 4th quarter.

They're 2 separate issues. Like you mentioned, his lack of a deep ball is part of why we were playing from behind in the the 4th in the first place. Once we were down, there was no confidence JB would bring us back. I know we were spoiled by the clutch play of Manning and Luck to put the team on their backs, but JB just doesn't have that ability.

If we had a better defense, that weakness has less consequences.

If those college QBs throw picks, that could just as well put us behind in the 4thQ, and their long ball prowess won't matter because Ds are defending that.

There's the flip-side of that in that if our offense didn't have so many 3 and outs (especially in the 2nd half of the season), the defense wouldn't have been on the field so much, completely gassed.

You can rein in a gunslinger to take less chances by playcall alone. You can't make a QB like JB take more downfield risks.

28 minutes ago, Shive said:

They're 2 separate issues. Like you mentioned, his lack of a deep ball is part of why we were playing from behind in the the 4th in the first place. Once we were down, there was no confidence JB would bring us back. I know we were spoiled by the clutch play of Manning and Luck to put the team on their backs, but JB just doesn't have that ability.

There's the flip-side of that in that if our offense didn't have so many 3 and outs (especially in the 2nd half of the season), the defense wouldn't have been on the field so much, completely gassed.

You can rein in a gunslinger to take less chances by playcall alone. You can't make a QB like JB take more downfield risks.

Oh I'm not defending JB against being replaced.  My position is that I would move on this offseason via cut or trade and eat part of the contract.  A clean break and a clean start.

I'm concerned about what we get as a replacement and will it open up two different problems while solving only one of JBs.  That doesn't advance the overall quality of QB play, IMO.

3 and outs are turnovers, especially if they happen after receiving a punt, where more teams seem to be starting off inside the 20.  Moving the chains with short accurate passes and a running game seem to be what's needed to offset those stand up pooch punts every punter is getting good at.

Gunslingers can go three and out pretty quickly, and a good defensive team rarely has to score quickly.  But a team has to be able to hit those occasional long shots.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t see it with Eason. I see a big arm and nothing else. I mean he couldn’t beat out Jake Fromm. That says a lot IMO, considering Fromm isn’t special.

JaMarcus Russell had a big arm too, so did Jay Cutler.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t see it with Eason. I see a big arm and nothing else. I mean he couldn’t beat out Jake Fromm. That says a lot IMO, considering Fromm isn’t special.

I mean technically Josh Fields didn’t either. And Fields is looking at the potential of top 5 pick next year. Flawed logic and not sure why it would matter. He played this year and had ups and downs. I personally am not huge on him but I would take him over Fromm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean technically Josh Fields didn’t either. And Fields is looking at the potential of top 5 pick next year. Flawed logic and not sure why it would matter. He played this year and had ups and downs. I personally am not huge on him but I would take him over Fromm. 

I’d take him over Fromm too but if you have a big arm QB but no other special traits you have Brissett. Eason doesn’t move the needle for me at all.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Maybe.  It hard to tell for sure since his drop off also coincided with losing a great player, Gronk, who was also getting old too. 

BB has been in a win now mode for each of the last 5 years, IMO.  He's not bothering to build for the future when the QB is here and now.  And its been a great strategy.  They've won.  Brady with Kmet and that defense will give NE a better shot at the SB than if BB drafted a QB to develop, as some have suggested.

Who knows when that page is turned, but if Brady resigns will NE, they'll be prepared to load up for another shot next year, IMO.

Gronk not being there had zero to do with Brady's inability to make passes he has made in the past. Even Brissett had a slightly better percentage rate than Brady did. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d take him over Fromm too but if you have a big arm QB but no other special traits you have Brissett. Eason doesn’t move the needle for me at all.

I don’t want Eason just to clear that. Big arm talent is good when you have a good delivery. JB has the worst hitch in a deep ball I have ever seen. DB’s can just sit back and easily break on the ball when you watch Brissett start his throwing process. Having the ability to throw a rope at 10 yards doesn’t always impress me. One thing that many need to remember is our WR’s are the worst amongst drops each year. That hurts everything. Kills plays and kills momentum. I would say Eason looks like someone who could be a little better in the pocket than JB. 

• Like 1

I’m one of the very few here that likes Jacob Eason more than Jordan Love. By far the best arm talent in the draft. Great size and good athleticism. He didn’t have the talent at Washington as some of the other QB’s that will go in the first round. 

Washington vs Oregon was a great game and Eason and Herbert played extremely well. Eason at times during the game showed flashes of Matthew Stafford at his best. 

If the team can come out of the draft with a blue chip prospect like Kinlaw, Lamb, Epenesa, and draft Eason at 34. That would be a home run. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I don’t want Eason just to clear that. Big arm talent is good when you have a good delivery. JB has the worst hitch in a deep ball I have ever seen. DB’s can just sit back and easily break on the ball when you watch Brissett start his throwing process. Having the ability to throw a rope at 10 yards doesn’t always impress me. One thing that many need to remember is our WR’s are the worst amongst drops each year. That hurts everything. Kills plays and kills momentum. I would say Eason looks like someone who could be a little better in the pocket than JB. 

Maybe slightly better but you don’t want slightly better than Brissett. You want a guy who is a significant upgrade. 

And this year wasn’t nearly as bad as last year with the drops.. Ebron is the outlier because we know he can be hit or miss. Plus I’d be willing to bet that Jacoby has way more times where he’s missed wide open receivers than they have dropped catchable passes. 

• Like 1

IMHO

This is one of 2-3 QBs that need to be considered in the draft

Eason has a cannon of an arm. But.... as mentioned by other posters,

thats not enough..... But he is someone that can be developed 

By our pick, Tua, Burrows, and Herbert will be long gone

He isnt a guy that I would take at 13, but with one one or our 2nd rounds

IMHO

There are 2QBs that are blue chip.... ALL of the other QBs (Eason included) have some excellent traits, but also hold a higher risk factor

Love

(He will probably need to be drafted at 13 to get him, if he isnt gone already)

Eason

Gordon

I really would be happy with any of these QBs to take a chance on

I think Love will be gone before the 34th pick, but I doubt he's gone before the 13th pick. However, the Colts could get lucky and Love lasts until later in the first round..... at which point they could manufacture a trade back into the 1st to nab him. Getting a top notch player like Kinlaw at 13 and getting Love also? THAT would be a home run. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO

This is one of 2-3 QBs that need to be considered in the draft

Eason has a cannon of an arm. But.... as mentioned by other posters,

thats not enough..... But he is someone that can be developed 

By our pick, Tua, Burrows, and Herbert will be long gone

He isnt a guy that I would take at 13, but with one one or our 2nd rounds

IMHO

There are 2QBs that are blue chip.... ALL of the other QBs (Eason included) have some excellent traits, but also hold a higher risk factor

Love

(He will probably need to be drafted at 13 to get him, if he isnt gone already)

Eason

Gordon

I really would be happy with any of these QBs to take a chance on

I'm actually intrigued by Gordon. He throws a heckuva ball, and doesn't appear to be over rated because of the Lynch offense. If no Love, I suspect the Colts could nab him in the 2nd round. He'd be a solid consolation prize. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, Gigc said:

Certainly is exciting to watch him let 'er rip. We haven't had a dude with an arm like that since Bert Jones back in the day.

I think he could be very good.

Actually, forgot about the unforgettable Jeff George ...

On 1/10/2020 at 11:57 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Well he was the starter until he got hurt and Fromm went the NC as a freshman, he wasn't loosing his job after that.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:56 AM, Shive said:

I was really only referring to QBs available to us, and Love and Eason do have higher ceilings.   But it’s less than 50/50 that they reach those ceilings, and it’d be long roads to get there...