Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading for a 1st next year.

NannyMcafee

Could anyone here see Ballard sacrificing some picks this season, and taking a risk by trading away a couple picks for a team he suspects to have a bad record going into next season, in order to get an early first pick next year giving him the ability to either draft high or traded the 2 first round picks to move up and select that QB ...? Trevor Lawrence? 

Especially if that guy isnt there this coming draft. Which team do you suspect to have a bad record next season? 

• Like 1

I suspect the Colts will be picking in the 15-20 range, so I don’t see any team giving up a potential top 5 pick in 2021 for where the Colts will be drafting. 

The Colts best opportunity to land T. Lawrence in 2021 is to tank or trade up.

JB is going to be the QB in 2020, we need to except it and hope for the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the surface, it doesn't sound like a horrible idea, but then you are getting into year 5 of Ballard before he has a QB, possibly year 6 possibly before that QB starts.  GMs and coaches generally don't get 8 year plans.  To stick around, you gotta put it together.  You have to win.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I suspect the Colts will be picking in the 15-20 range, so I don’t see any team giving up a potential top 5 pick in 2021 for where the Colts will be drafting. 

The Colts best opportunity to land T. Lawrence in 2021 is to tank or trade up.

It obviously wouldnt be only your first round pick. My thought process would be spreading out the damage of losing all your picks in one draft for a top 5 draft pick. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He might be, but he still has two more games in 2019.  If he's no better, I expect at least an open competition in 2020.  

• Like 1

No need to.  We don’t need a top 5 pick to get a quality QB.  Look at where the top quarterbacks in the NFL were drafted.  Lamar Jackson (32nd), Brees (round 2, pick 32), Brady (round 6, pick  199), Rodgers (24th), Russell Wilson (round 3, pick 75), Mahomes at 10th and Watson at 12th are the highest of the top tier qbs.  No need to trade up.  I know Manning and Luck were #1 picks, but we can get a good one where we are.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Could anyone here see Ballard sacrificing some picks this season, and taking a risk by trading away a couple picks for a team he suspects to have a bad record going into next season, in order to get an early first pick next year giving him the ability to either draft high or traded the 2 first round picks to move up and select that QB ...? Trevor Lawrence? 

Especially if that guy isnt there this coming draft. Which team do you suspect to have a bad record next season? 

I could see Ballard trading the Redskins 2nd round pick for a 1st rounder in 2021. Other than that, probably not.

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Also, I could see a team like the Chargers have a bad record next season.

I'm not sure about the answer to the question.

But it seems to me that as every year passes by, the draft is becoming more and more interesting /important to the fans. It almost seems like everything leads up to the draft, (the pinnacle of the football year) and then you play the games just to see evaluate your draft.

The games are now just a bi-product of the NFL draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrisbeldridge said:

No need to.  We don’t need a top 5 pick to get a quality QB.  Look at where the top quarterbacks in the NFL were drafted.  Lamar Jackson (32nd), Brees (round 2, pick 32), Brady (round 6, pick  199), Rodgers (24th), Russell Wilson (round 3, pick 75), Mahomes at 10th and Watson at 12th are the highest of the top tier qbs.  No need to trade up.  I know Manning and Luck were #1 picks, but we can get a good one where we are.

I know you are new but you should know you can't bring logic and reason to a thread like this.  j/k

Very good point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chrisbeldridge said:

My main worry would be the colts picking at around 15, you could easily see Burrow, Herbert, Tua, and Love going before 15 to teams on the board before the Colts who need QB. Can you see anyone else worthy of starting after those 4? 

Too many planets would have to align for us to get in position for Lawrence next year (short of tanking). IMO, Miami is the only team I can see not taking a QB this year, trade into next year, and have the capital necessary to get into the #1 spot, without tremendous pain or mortgaging.

There will also be a very strong "pull" for any team to keep the #1 pick next year, even if they already have a QB they are happy with. Lawrence, while not as prolific as last year, is still considered a once in a decade type QB.

In short, if we're going for Lawrence, I'd simply prefer to start Nelson at QB in 2020 and tank. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

My main worry would be the colts picking at around 15, you could easily see Burrow, Herbert, Tua, and Love going before 15 to teams on the board before the Colts who need QB. Can you see anyone else worthy of starting after those 4? 

i think it would make more sense to trade up this year. we have two second round picks already. 

lots of variables come into play if we trade for future picks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

But it seems to me that as every year passes by, the draft is becoming more and more interesting /important to the fans. It almost seems like everything leads up to the draft, (the pinnacle of the football year) and then you play the games just to see evaluate your draft.

Should we start using roman numerals for the drafts, like we do for the super bowl?

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Qbs are getting better imo.  or at least they are coming into the league and succeeding faster than they used to.  used to be more common to sit one for a while

now you see rookies starting and doing pretty well, and lighting the league up in their second and third years

Ballard is not going to change his draft process. This draft will put him in a better draft placement than last year. The biggest change over last year was the retirement of Andrew Luck. The coaches played extensively their bench and rookies, so there is plenty of information on who they will keep. Ebron, Funchess are gone. 

Coaching wise, I will not be surprised that after Vinny retires, they will change ST coach. I also expect Matt Eberflus to flex his decision on who he will keep on his staff. 

Last but not least, I think Ballard will review and do a deep dive evaluation on his medical and training staff. Ballard will be active on the FA market in 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

please not this draft with this crop of qbs

Hey you could be completely right I dont have an issue with drafting the right guy this year. I just k how if it doesn't happen this year next year is unlikely to produce a starting level QB for this Colts team, unless they're picking top 5. Is there anyone besides Lawrence that you know of? 

23 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Hey you could be completely right I dont have an issue with drafting the right guy this year. I just k how if it doesn't happen this year next year is unlikely to produce a starting level QB for this Colts team, unless they're picking top 5. Is there anyone besides Lawrence that you know of? 

Justin Fields from Ohio State.

On 12/20/2019 at 10:21 AM, chrisbeldridge said:

This.

What matters is the GM's ability to see talent (of course, that means talent that translates to the NFL level), and their strength to withstand the public pressure to draft the 'sure thing' (that usually isn't so sure). I believe Ballard has demonstrated both of those qualities.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:21 AM, chrisbeldridge said:

Agreed, and on a side note:

IMHO, not 1 of these elite QB's could win a championship with the current Colts roster. This team is not good enough at the line of scrimmage yet. On either side of the ball.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, Douzer said:

Agreed, and on a side note:

IMHO, not 1 of these elite QB's could win a championship with the current Colts roster. This team is not good enough at the line of scrimmage yet. On either side of the ball.

We need to fix our right side a little bit, but our offensive line is plenty talented enough to win us a championship with an elite QB. Brissett makes our line look worse, and we've also faced some good pass rushers this year as well.

However, I've said it since week 3...We need to kick Braeden Smith inside to guard and find a RT replacement tho... he is a little too slow on the first step when going against speed rushers. Hurts us when trying to throw deep(doesn't help JB is very inaccurate downfield).

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 12:42 PM, Flash7 said:

and a lot of draft picks become busts