Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontaze Burfict: Worth The Risk?

Vontaze Burfict appears to be a high-risk, high reward prospect. He'll either bust or develop into a pro-bowl linebacker. If the Colts take a gamble on him, can you imagine a tandem of Pat Angerer and Vontaze Burfict as the Colts' 3-4 ILBs? That would frighten opposing RBs.

Burfict was a hard-hitting playmaker at ASU, but he often lost his cool during games and played out-of-control, resulting in personal-foul penalties for late hits, head-butts, fighting, and many other knucklehead moves. His coaches sometimes benched him because of his lack of discipline on the field. Even so, many scouts had previously rated him as a 1st rounder and even compared his smash-mouth style of play to Ray Lewis. His sideline-to-sideline quickness and closing speed on the ball-carrier is impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7achvXsy3Q&feature=related

Unfortunately, Burfict severely lowered his draft stock after running a very slow 40 time at the combine and also interviewing badly with the scouts. He essentially blamed his former ASU coaches for benching him. He seems to have 1st-round talent, but he'll need strong coaching and mentoring to instill more discipline and maturity.

Some of the draft sites have now downgraded him into the 3th to 5th round. If he's still on the board at the top of the 4th round, should the Colts take a chance on him? The team could also use its compensation pick (from Clint Session) if Burfict is still there at the bottom of the 4th. Do you think he's worth the risk?

Depends on how the Colts interview with him went and if they feel they can coach him. Burfict has locker room distraction written all over him and not only tested bad at the combine, but really regressed on the field last year. It's obviously he wasn't practicing like he should have. If he drops late, the coaches think they can babysit him and coach him up to his potential, he could become a big player. Problem is he has to figure out how to grow up off the field AND find a way to keep his tenacity on the field, while still staying under control. Sounds like a tall order. I'd say not worth the risk for a rebuilding team, but worth it to a veteran squad.

If this team had a strong defensive leader, I'd be for taking the risk. They don't, so I don't really think a player who often freelances and lacks field awareness at time would be good for this defense. The Ravens have Ray Lewis who I think could mentor him and set him straight. The Colts don't have that advantage. I wouldn't risk it.

There are questions over his angles and intelligence as well as the 40 showing how incredibly slow he is. Amazing how far his stock dropped, I'd rather not give him a go just because of his personality.

If this team had a strong defensive leader, I'd be for taking the risk. They don't, so I don't really think a player who often freelances and lacks field awareness at time would be good for this defense. The Ravens have Ray Lewis who I think could mentor him and set him straight. The Colts don't have that advantage. I wouldn't risk it.

I agree. We don't have a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher type of leader on defense. I do think Pagano can keep him straight though, but it would be better if it was a player.

we need to focus on a Defensiv Tackle and Corner before another Linebacker, but he sure got potential but has to change his attitude, if not then he will be bounced around the league until his skills are diminished to the point hes playin in the CFL or something, not knocking the CFL, football is football but its the NFL COME ON MAN!, STRAIGHTEN UP!

I don't think Mr. Burfict is coachable. He is out of control, both on the field and off the field.

He will make a great play, and one play later, make a bone-head mistake that costs his team with a unsportsmanlike conduct foul, and then compounding it further by disputing it with the ref, until he gets another.

Stay away. He is poison.

At Arizona State, the downward spiral continues for linebacker Vontaze Burfict. The one-time highly rated linebacker, who struggled through a disappointing 2011 campaign then ran poorly at the combine, looked no better today. Scouts thought Burfict looked poorly conditioned and out-of-place in drills. He was not smooth changing direction, dropped passes in drills and generally looked like a free agent compared to the first-round pick most predicted just six months ago. Several scouts said they felt bad for Burfict, who'll have another chance to redeem himself on March 30.

I haven't followed him other than being intrigued when he was discussed here by others months ago, but any player who decides that his combine interview is the place to point fingers at his coaches to explain his decline in production has clearly got a >>> lose. That's more than just immaturity. Who needs it.

Zbikowski can punch him in the face if he falls out of line.

• 1 month later...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82895e07/article/vontaze-burfict-jayron-hosley-fail-drug-test-before-nfl-draft?module=HP11_headline_stack

The downfall of Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict added another chapter to its story Wednesday -- just one day before the NFL draft begins -- as NFL Network contributor and Fox Sports insider Jay Glazer reported that NFL teams were informed this week that Burfict has failed a drug test.

--

He went from top 10 pick to now, I'm even questioning if he'll be drafted. All the potential in the world shot down because of some poor decisions.

Some of the draft sites have now downgraded him into the 3th to 5th round. If he's still on the board at the top of the 4th round, should the Colts take a chance on him? The team could also use its compensation pick (from Clint Session) if Burfict is still there at the bottom of the 4th. Do you think he's worth the risk?

There's something inside me that really wants to give this guy a shot, especially since he's expected to go in the later rounds. I saw this guy play a lot at high school and he was an absolute standout performer. Obviously, the biggest concern is the off the field issues. An even bigger concern is that we might also lang Janoris Jenkins. I could see us dealing with one player that has character issues, but two? That's got 'recipe for disaster' written all over it. I know the guy is an amazing talent and deserves to be selected higher, but I'm just not sure what we'd get out of him.

The kicker for me seems to be what happens with our second-round pick. Like I said, I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Vontaze because of the potential talent and how low he's projected to go, but I don't want to have so much attention aimed at what is happening/could happen in the locker room and off the field. I'd say definitely pull the trigger on him if we don't land Jenkins.