Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Zbikowski [Merge]

Indeee

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Zbi wouldnt be much of an upgrade persay but hes a decent SS that will help us transition into Paganos system. I see Lefeged beating him out for the PR role.

Not many SS I would rather have than Zbi. He may not be the most talented guy out there, but he knows this system better than any free agent and he's still getting better. This is a good sign. BTW, the PR would probably be Blair White.

Just as long as he doesn't take McAfee and his swimsuit with him he'll be okay ;)

If I remember correctly, the swimsuit was optional. lol

I'm also excited by this signing. Just the fact he's a quality addition to the secondary that knows the system is a good thing. Same with Redding. Colts aren't going after playmakers right now. They're going after quality role players that know the system they want to implement. Guys like Redding and Zbikowski may not wind up being pro bowlers but they're guys who know the system that Pagano runs and can step in and play from day one. Even if someone else is brought in or currently on the roster that beats them out for a starting position (unlikely imo) then we have high quality depth.

Incidentally, from NFL.com

Tom Zbikowski | SS Previous Team: Baltimore Exp: 4 years

Analysis: Zbikowski agreed to a three-year deal with the Colts, telling the South Bend Tribune on Friday that he didn't want the most money, just "the best situation." He could start in Indianapolis but not in Baltimore -- "not unless they're going to play me over Ed Reed," Zbikowski quipped to the newspaper.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency?module=HP11_cp

I love this pick-up. During the Lockout he made a professional boxing debut in Madison Square Garden and knocked him out in 49 seconds. Love the pick-ups by Grigs/Pags, putting together a really exciting team. Can't wait to see the new Colts debut!

He was all-American at ND....started soemtimes for the Ravens alongside Ed Reed

returned punts...more a hitter than a coverage guy

he's a prize fighter, too..I think he's 4-0..

This is great. He's in his prime

I am glad I read this. I was going to post. He definitely is a major league hitter!!!! Zibby is relentless on punt returns...almost to a fault. He loves contact and you correctly state he has been a boxer. Not sure we need him boxing. Lets Attack with him....

I would be very excited if we could bring in McClain. :)

Why? He's a good kid, but the reason the Ravens may not bring him back is because he wants a lot of money, out of their range. I'd hate to waste some money on a guy who's good, but plays a position that's perfectly fine on our team. Angerer and Conner are great kids and are the future at the position.

Lefeged had 2 interceptions and more passes defensed than Z had this year. In VERY limited snaps. Plus hes just entering his second year. Its safe to say Lefeged has more upside than zbikowski. Plus it doesnt hurt to have Pagano developing him this early in his career. And yes he is bigger, not by much just an inch and ten punds, but he is bigger. And a bit faster.

Roy Anderson and Pagano!! Anderson worked with Ed Reed....so did Zibby. Good to have two and let the best man win, If either one are returning punts, there is an injury 'waiting to happen.'

I am glad I read this. I was going to post. He definitely is a major league hitter!!!! Zibby is relentless on punt returns...almost to a fault. He loves contact and you correctly state he has been a boxer. Not sure we need him boxing. Lets Attack with him....

I always love safeties who can hit, catch, & know just where to go once they grab the ball!!! Great pickup in Zibikosski Grigson & Pagano!!! Ed Reed probably showed him the ropes in Baltimore & taught him how to study film & jump routes too.

]

Zibby is a boxer and a hard hitter with the gloves on. He really never stepped up wearing the purple and black but the one good thing is that he can return punts. Who needs a kick returner anymore... it seems like 99% of all kickoffs are touchbacks.

Well he'll be useful if the Colts ever get in a boxing match in the middle of a football field. That is if the signing actually occurs. Good signing if it happens.

Official now w/ @tommyzbikowski signing w/ #Colts. 3 year contract. A #Domer signing down the road fr #NotreDame on #StPatrickDay!

Cindrich just posted this on Twitter. Also said that talks about Saturday staying came up.

Welcome to Indy, Tom.

I saw the titans resigned their center so I think they are out of the Saturday race. I hope we keep Jeff I think he would be a huge help to luck. If luck has Saturday and Wayne to help teach him and lead the offense luck will be in very good hands on the field and I think it would help make him better.

He played when Ed Reed was hurt..he did get some starts

....He's experienced...our coach knows him well...and he;s an AFC guy

i know how well he plays, im a notre dame fan lol. was one of the best safeties notre dame has ever had. he moves to the ball fast and could land a big blow also. ST he has the speed to take returns back for a TD.

A very solid signing that won't break the bank and give us much needed depth. We need depth everywhere and especially on a "new" defense. We may think some guys will transition well but we don't know that. We need bodies to compete and see who steps up in this new system. I am not 100% sure he will start but I know we will find a way to get him on the field. He may come out in dime packages or move Lefeged up on to lb position on certain packages to cover the TE. IDK but at least he is a special teams player and God only knows we need a whole squad of those. Very happy and he has Indiana ties and seems happy to be on the team and the opportunity of playing. A player excited to play hopefully will carry over to better play on the field. I see nothing wrong with this signing. He very likely won't ever be a pro bowler but will add depth and some toughness to the team. I have watched our secondary for years fail to tackle and I think that he at least could do that.

Anyone know the $ involved?

EDIT: Just found out. $5.5m over three years.

That's a great deal for us! He could come in and start right away, and he should do well in this system! The Colts have made some great signs + re-signs so far this offseason