Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 7 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Neither logic is any good, because it doesn't matter what KC and BAL did, all that matters is whether we wins the game we're playing. What Baltimore did against a healthier KC is irrelevant.  Matchups change week in and week out.   Injuries are a part of the game and so on and so forth.  We beat one of the best teams in the AFC and then we knocked off the AFC South leader. We dont need to make a math equation out of it, but because it's the furthest thing from calculable.

I think we could beat Baltimore  and the bills.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As he gains experience he should get quicker.  And I think having slightly better WR talent would help.  At least some consistency as to which WR is lining up in what role.

What do you mean by consistency lining up in a WR role? Inconsistency in that regard is a good thing provided it's because guys function in multiple roles.  The more versatile we are, the the harder pre-snap reads are, which make them more unpredictable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, King Colt said:

The Colts kept Mahomes off the field with long sustained drives. Their first possession today was 12 plays eating up 97 yards. I don't know if it is Reich's game strategy but I don't think we will see a lot of long balls this year. His game plans are working although his going for it on fourth down I would prefer not to see much more of that. Today he did it and gave Texans the ball in Colts territory. Luckily, they could only score a FG. Intentionally risking giving up possession is worse than a fumble or INT. 

The thing about that call, is that it WAS bad, and he owned it.  Glad to see him owning his mistakes, and better to have a mistake in a win.

Pretty damn good...other than the unfortunate fumble. 

SSS alert...but there is a pretty big disparity between home and road splits for JB (and the offense). I think this also applies to Reich as well. They are just a different team on offense at home.

Really hope they can keep this up and take advantage of a down AFC overall and get that HFA through Divisional weekend. 

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Mahomes may actually benefit long term being forced to become a more complete pocket passer. And honestly I wouldn't count on him wearing a big knew brace. If it was just a dislocated knee cap, and he heals well, it'll likely be just a sleeve per what I read.

Ravens lost a close one on the road to a complete KC. We beat a very depleted KC in a close one. The logic fails.  

Also beat a somewhat depleted HOU team. I think the Colts have been pretty fortunate thus far...and they took advantage...as they should.

The back half of the schedule might look easier...but it won't be. 

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What do you mean by consistency lining up in a WR role? Inconsistency in that regard is a good thing provided it's because guys function in multiple roles.  The more versatile we are, the the harder pre-snap reads are, which make them more unpredictable.

I mean a second guy JB can count on, as compared to what has been a bit of a revolving door behind TY.  Pascal did well yesterday.  The starting position with Funchess has been up for grabs and it doesn't seem like anybody has taken it.  I don't think Pascal plays the slot much, but I could be wrong.  

• Like 2

JB improved in the two areas that I care about.  He increased the amount of points we put up and trips to the red zone.  And he improved his pocket presence in the face of pressure. Went through his reads and consistently got the ball to the right guy instead of taking multiple sacks and being flushed out of the pocket.   Let's keep it that way.

21 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

He's a game manager in the sense that he manages a good game, and even when other things aren't working for him (as in KC) he has that to fall back on.

He's not a game manager in the commonly-used sense because he can do more than manage the game. 

But he does manage a good game, it's just that he can also make the throws and even use his feet a little.

That middle one is the typical definition fans use- Probably won't lose the game, but can't be trusted to come back and win one either.  I think JB can do it.

19 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

:edit: Jimmy Garrapolo,  the franchise qb, struggled hard against a bad Redskins team

19 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Did the weather play a part

No question

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just merging this thought with other comments I've read in the past, about him not being able to come off of his first read.

Seems to me that if he's taking  a long time in the pocket, he's looking at more than one receiver.

Trying time to watch game pass replay. The few plays I saw he had 5 some step drops from pistol or shotgun.  That's like an under center 7 step drop (which also did), for deeper routes to develop.

As he gains experience he should get quicker.  And I think having slightly better WR talent would help.  At least some consistency as to which WR is lining up in what role.

Film study, and game experience will be his friend.

I thought when Luck retired, Brissett was going to surprise a lot of people and play well.

What I like about this situation is he is still getting better, he has not nearly reached his peak yet.  Plus we eventually will get WR's P. Campbell and D. Funchess back in November. 

13 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Brissett was briefly on the Gators before he transferred to NC State for lack of playing time at Florida.  So... technically true?

He was at Florida 2 yearsJohn Brantley was the starting QB in 2011. Jeff Driskel (backup to Matthew Stafford) beat out JB for the starter job in 2012 (Charlie Weis had left).  JB transferred, and sat out 2013, then played for NC State 2014 and 2015.

No Tebow anywhere.

I don't wanna rain on the parade, but this is honestly something a buddy of mine and myself were discussing. How much of this is Jacoby Brissett being a potential franchise QB, and how much of this is the incredible team that's finally been built by Chris Ballard? Or, is it some combination? I'll be honest, up until that game I had my reservations about Jacoby moving forward (into 2020 and beyond) as the starting QB for the Colts, but that performance was impressive, to say the least. If he is the guy, then we have 3 picks inside the top 60 or so, 2 of which are inside the top 35. Ballard trading out of the 1st past year has left them in a favorable spot. I think with the draft capital and FA $, we're sitting pretty. 

3 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I don't wanna rain on the parade, but this is honestly something a buddy of mine and myself were discussing. How much of this is Jacoby Brissett being a potential franchise QB, and how much of this is the incredible team that's finally been built by Chris Ballard? 

That incredible team included a proficient backup that they had the confidence could grow into a starter's role.

We needed Brissett to step up in order for this team to look incredible.  

6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I don't wanna rain on the parade, but this is honestly something a buddy of mine and myself were discussing. How much of this is Jacoby Brissett being a potential franchise QB, and how much of this is the incredible team that's finally been built by Chris Ballard? Or, is it some combination? I'll be honest, up until that game I had my reservations about Jacoby moving forward (into 2020 and beyond) as the starting QB for the Colts, but that performance was impressive, to say the least. If he is the guy, then we have 3 picks inside the top 60 or so, 2 of which are inside the top 35. Ballard trading out of the 1st past year has left them in a favorable spot. I think with the draft capital and FA $, we're sitting pretty. 

I actually think you have a very good point. How many mediocre QB could be great or elite if they had a better organization around them and good coaching. I think it’s a mixture. JB has to be coachable and want to improve. There does need to be the talent there. I think it’s a combination of both. Have to also have good positional coaches like a QB coach that can help develop a player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That incredible team included a proficient backup that they had the confidence could grow into a starter's role.

We needed Brissett to step up in order for this team to look incredible.  

For me --and I'm assuming probably Chris Ballard-- it's always gonna boil down to one thing: Could another guy come in and do it better than Jacoby Brissett? If the guy continues to play like that, then there's no doubt, you move forward with him. Use that draft capital to put another weapon or 2 around him, draft Castonzo's successor, and whatever other pieces they see fit. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If he is The Guy for this team as it is now or for a better Colts team that has more pieces, what else really matters?

8 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

For me --and I'm assuming probably Chris Ballard-- it's always gonna boil down to one thing: Could another guy come in and do it better than Jacoby Brissett? 

Probably not, or at least nobody you could easily acquire could do it.

I don't think everyone realizes just how lucky we are that Brissett was able to slot right in there and make this team competitive right away.  And I don't think it's as easy as people think it is to separate what is accomplished by the coaching staff and what is accomplished by the QB's own leadership

Talented as it is, this is a very young team and in order for it to execute against tough teams all facets of the team have to be playing well, both motivated, and well coached.  You don't get that easily without a true leader under center.  And we've all seen very talented teams founder without that kind of true leader.  We are very, very blessed the Brissett is that kind of leader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

If he is The Guy for this team as it is now or for a better Colts team that has more pieces, what else really matters?

IMO the QB is the only position that you should rely on long-term. Most other positions usually get way too expensive fast unless the player is the cream of the crop. IMO that's the reason you shouldn't really be making much of any concession with the QB position if you want long-term success. No matter how good your roster looks at any given moment, you won't always have a great OLine(Dallas?), you won't always have great pass rush(Denver?), you won't always have great pass-catchers(Steelers?). The players of most other positions get old, traded, too expensive quick and move on... the QB is really the only position that you should be looking at and thinking about having that guy for the next 10-15 years. (unless the guy is an absolute freak - say Nelson, who I expect us to keep no matter what, but there aren't many players of that relative value for the position).

That's the reason I want the QB to be really good... a.k.a. 'franchise QB'. A QB who can be successful in variety of situations with variety of teams and teammates around him simply because if you give him a long-term contract he will need to perform with variety of teams throughout his tenure. He should be able to elevate your team and players on offense and allow you to win games even if the players around him are not great. This is especially true if the QB you are paying is being paid money similar to what real franchise QBs are being paid(i.e. your don't get discount to be able to use elsewhere on the roster). 

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Probably not, or at least nobody you could easily acquire could do it.

I don't think everyone realizes just how lucky we are that Brissett was able to slot right in there and make this team competitive right away.  And I don't think it's as easy as people think it is to separate what is accomplished by the coaching staff and what is accomplished by the QB's own leadership

Talented as it is, this is a very young team and in order for it to execute against tough teams all facets of the team have to be playing well, both motivated, and well coached.  You don't get that easily without a true leader under center.  And we've all seen very talented teams founder without that kind of true leader.  We are very, very blessed the Brissett is that kind of leader.

Well said. There's not enough attention paid to how well respected Jacoby is in the locker room, and the cohesion that comes with that. I agree it would be really hard to find someone that could duplicate or better the success he's had this year. If he continues his strong play, I think the sensible move would be to put as many pieces as we can around him, and continue to develop the defensive side of the ball as well, and make a run these next however many years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

For me --and I'm assuming probably Chris Ballard-- it's always gonna boil down to one thing: Could another guy come in and do it better than Jacoby Brissett? If the guy continues to play like that, then there's no doubt, you move forward with him. Use that draft capital to put another weapon or 2 around him, draft Castonzo's successor, and whatever other pieces they see fit. 

I personally don't think it is that simple.  For several reasons.  For one of course someone could come in and do it better.  He's not the greatest who ever lived, so yes someone, presumably many players could be better.

He played really well Sunday.  Not to denigrate his accomplishment but the team has been very fortunate the last two weeks as to what they have faced on the field and what they could have faced on the field.  So have the opponents.  Our secondary has been all kinds of banged up, but I am specifically talking about what JB needs to do.

Against KC, we ran the ball the entire second half against a bad and injured Dline after less than average start by JB in the 1st half.  He was a non factor in the 2nd half.  We were fortunate that Mahomes was injured, that Hill wasn't back, their OLIne was hurt.

Against Houston, the game plan was superb.  The Texans stacked the box with a poor secondary and JB made them pay just like an NFL QB should.  It was a good time to play them.  One dude was talking about he TDs.  Bubble screen and Shuffle pass are bascially handoffs.  The crosser to Pascal was an easy play for the protected QB and a special play by the WR.  The catch by Ebron is one of the best plays you'll ever see.

But was impressive to me was pocket presence for JB which I really hadn't seen yet.  He has had protection most of the time, and its been like "Stay in the * pocket dude and people will come open.  WEll he did that SUnday.

Darn windy response so far.

But why I say it's not simple is that JB may be at a replaceable level or he may be better than that.  Don't know yet.  I am still skeptical BUT saw some of the looking off, progressions, and pocket presence that I haven't seen from him.  It is a tough call IMO.  

I think the real question is much more nuanced.  How likely is it that we can get someone better if JB isn't good enough.  A bunch of issues there.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:57 AM, DougDew said:

Just merging this thought with other comments I've read in the past, about him not being able to come off of his first read.

Seems to me that if he's taking  a long time in the pocket, he's looking at more than one receiver.

IDK. He just sticks on a WR sometimes, typically the first read. He seemed to do better Sunday, but I have not checked the stats. 

On 10/21/2019 at 12:01 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

Neither logic is any good, because it doesn't matter what KC and BAL did, all that matters is whether we wins the game we're playing. What Baltimore did against a healthier KC is irrelevant.  Matchups change week in and week out.   Injuries are a part of the game and so on and so forth.  We beat one of the best teams in the AFC and then we knocked off the AFC South leader. We dont need to make a math equation out of it, but because it's the furthest thing from calculable.

If you're trying to draw a conclusion that Indy is better than Baltimore, than it's very relevant.

Injuries are absolutely part of the game, but injuries are very relevant when talking about subjective things like "who is better". 

On 10/21/2019 at 12:39 PM, shastamasta said:

Also beat a somewhat depleted HOU team. I think the Colts have been pretty fortunate thus far...and they took advantage...as they should.

The back half of the schedule might look easier...but it won't be. 

I think the final 7 will be a pretty tough stretch. 

Some people saying we beat depleted teams needs to stop. We just played 2 teams led by Mahomes and Watson. We were 11 point underdogs to KC and the Houston game was basically a pick'em game. Apparently Vegas didn't think those teams were depleted lmao . Had we beat those teams with crummy QB's I would agree. We also beat the Falcons when Matt Ryan was playing like Dan Marino in the 2nd half. Time to give the Colts credit people, instead of making excuses for other teams. I could easily say we lost to the Raiders because TY Hilton and Darius Leonard didn't play, see how that works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KC was very depleted. It is what it is and it's disingenuous to act like it wasn't a major factor. 

Houston's secondary was beat up, but they aren't good vs the pass anyway (so I'm not going to call that W due to injury). We beat them at home, and we should expect to beat them at home. If they beat us in Houston, then we'll be "even". We still have a ways to go.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

KC was very depleted. It is what it is and it's disingenuous to act like it wasn't a major factor. 

Houston's secondary was beat up, but they aren't good vs the pass anyway (so I'm not going to call that W due to injury). We beat them at home, and we should expect to beat them at home. If they beat us in Houston, then we'll be "even". We still have a ways to go.

KC had Mahomes and Kelce and were 11 point favorites lmao . We were depleted vs the Raiders then by your logic. Houston still had Watson and Hopkins healthy and Watt healthy.