Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 7 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are like me, you have always been pro Brissett. Smart man :thmup:

Thanks but you don't have to be smart. Some people let the low yardage numbers cloud their thinking. He's going to have more games where he is closer to 200 yards, or below, when the Colts are dominating on the ground. That won't mean Brissett has "regressed". It will only mean the offense is taking what the defense gives them.

Luck threw for less than 200 yards 18 times.

In those 18 games the Colts were 12-6.

Luck threw for over 300 yards 35 times.

In those games the Colts were 18-17.

Less than 200 doesn't automatically mean poor performance and losing. And over 300 doesn't automatically mean good performance and winning.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

So the ravens are tied with Seattle right now. I think with the injury to Mahomes the colts are the second best team in the AFC. How can you say any different when we beat Houston and KC. 

Baltimore, 4-2, being tied on the road with a 5-1 Seattle doesn't scream Baltimore is worse than the Colts. Record wise, we're tied for 4th right now. We also still have to go to Houston, so it's a little early to crown ourselves AFCS favorites. Oakland is only one game behind us, and owns the tie breaker after beating us in Indy, so that's a bit of a threat too. 

If you're talking about record alone, KC is still better. If you're talking about current ability, we're better as long as Mahomes is out. When Mahomes comes back and all his WRs are healthy, that's another question entirely.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I actually don’t think our pass pro is all that great, mainly on the right side. Glow’s had kind of a rough season and Smith struggles at times.

I agree to an extent, but JB also needs to decrease his time-to-throw (he's bottom 5) and make it easier on the OL in general. I think that will improve as he builds confidence and chemistry.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Baltimore, 4-2, being tied on the road with a 5-1 Seattle doesn't scream Baltimore is worse than the Colts. Record wise, we're tied for 4th right now. We also still have to go to Houston, so it's a little early to crown ourselves AFCS favorites. Oakland is only one game behind us, and owns the tie breaker after beating us in Indy, so that's a bit of a threat too. 

If you're talking about record alone, KC is still better. If you're talking about current ability, we're better as long as Mahomes is out. When Mahomes comes back and all his WRs are healthy, that's another question entirely.

I was going more on we just beat Houston and KC. Ravens lost to KC.  The chiefs are all Mahomes. If he does come back he isn’t going to be as effective with that big knee brace on. They have a couple hard games coming up.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I was going more on we just beat Houston and KC. Ravens lost to KC.  The chiefs are all Mahomes. If he does come back he isn’t going to be as effective with that big knee brace on. They have a couple hard games coming up.

Mahomes may actually benefit long term being forced to become a more complete pocket passer. And honestly I wouldn't count on him wearing a big knew brace. If it was just a dislocated knee cap, and he heals well, it'll likely be just a sleeve per what I read.

Ravens lost a close one on the road to a complete KC. We beat a very depleted KC in a close one. The logic fails.  

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He's a game manager in the sense that he manages a good game, and even when other things aren't working for him (as in KC) he has that to fall back on.

He's not a game manager in the commonly-used sense because he can do more than manage the game. 

But he does manage a good game, it's just that he can also make the throws and even use his feet a little.

Jacoby Brissett is the perfect QB for the situation the Colts found themselves in this year with the retirement of Andrew Luck.

He isn't going to turn the ball over and lose the game with stupid decisions.  He is getting better every week at going through his progressions, making the right read, and taking what the defense gives him.

If he hones his anticipation and gets better at looking off safeties and throwing open his receivers... :woah:  JB could put up some legitimate MVP numbers this season for a team that could find itself in the mix in January, and that's pretty amazing when you think about it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreet, you called it. You said this was JB's chance for a coming out party and he did just that :thmup:

I figured at some point Reich would open things up for him. IMO, it was the perfect opportunity in terms of opponent (strengths and weaknesses) and timing. I'm happier today than after the KC win. It's more than just a win in many ways. Huge step for JB. Gotta keep building and improving!! I'm trying to remain cautious, but it's hard not to be hyped!

• Like 1

The Colts kept Mahomes off the field with long sustained drives. Their first possession today was 12 plays eating up 97 yards. I don't know if it is Reich's game strategy but I don't think we will see a lot of long balls this year. His game plans are working although his going for it on fourth down I would prefer not to see much more of that. Today he did it and gave Texans the ball in Colts territory. Luckily, they could only score a FG. Intentionally risking giving up possession is worse than a fumble or INT. 

15 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The Colts kept Mahomes off the field with long sustained drives. Their first possession today was 12 plays eating up 97 yards. I don't know if it is Reich's game strategy but I don't think we will see a lot of long balls this year. His game plans are working although his going for it on fourth down I would prefer not to see much more of that. Today he did it and gave Texans the ball in Colts territory. Luckily, they could only score a FG. Intentionally risking giving up possession is worse than a fumble or INT. 

Brissett looked down field several times today.  It wasn’t there.  He did a much better job finding his secondary reads though before just dumping it to the dump off guy.  

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brissett looked down field several times today.  It wasn’t there.  He did a much better job finding his secondary reads though before just dumping it to the dump off guy.  

He looked great.  Those intermediate reads were the ones I was hoping to see.  The protection affords him the opportunity to eat a sandwich most passing downs and find someone downfield.  There was also people coming open late.

The game plan was again superbly Belechikian.  Take what they give you.  I would have liked to see them run it 3 times in the possession with 8 minutes left to kill 3 minutes of clock.  The incompletion on 1st down somewhat forces your hand on 2nd and 3rd.

there are opportunities in this O to make plays and he made them today.  Great job.

• Like 1

He can zip it for sure as long as the play design is there. If Reich can prepare the offense and call a game like he did, we are golden. My only concern with Jacoby is that I'm not sure he can make plays out of nothing, when the play breaks down. 

That being said, he is on fire so far and we really have a TEAM which I love.

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

I would have liked to see them run it 3 times in the possession with 8 minutes left to kill 3 minutes of clock. 

That really bothered me.

The Colts first two possessions of the 4th quarter were run, incomplete pass, incomplete pass.

They took almost no time off the clock with those two possessions when the Texans needed 2 TDs to have a chance. 

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree to an extent, but JB also needs to decrease his time-to-throw (he's bottom 5) and make it easier on the OL in general. I think that will improve as he builds confidence and chemistry.

Just merging this thought with other comments I've read in the past, about him not being able to come off of his first read.

Seems to me that if he's taking  a long time in the pocket, he's looking at more than one receiver.

As he gains experience he should get quicker.  And I think having slightly better WR talent would help.  At least some consistency as to which WR is lining up in what role.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Mahomes may actually benefit long term being forced to become a more complete pocket passer. And honestly I wouldn't count on him wearing a big knew brace. If it was just a dislocated knee cap, and he heals well, it'll likely be just a sleeve per what I read.

Ravens lost a close one on the road to a complete KC. We beat a very depleted KC in a close one. The logic fails.  

Neither logic is any good, because it doesn't matter what KC and BAL did, all that matters is whether we wins the game we're playing. What Baltimore did against a healthier KC is irrelevant.  Matchups change week in and week out.   Injuries are a part of the game and so on and so forth.  We beat one of the best teams in the AFC and then we knocked off the AFC South leader. We dont need to make a math equation out of it, but because it's the furthest thing from calculable.